Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 640 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #19171 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Tony, I'm going to try it tonight. If REW clips at MV 0 doesn't that mean that the input device's (mic) gain is too high? I don't completely understand if I answer yes to that question that I don't have to change the gain, doesn't the mic cause the clipping if it's too high?
Yes, if it's clipped at 0MV, lower your recording mic volume in window to 10, that should take care of that without you performing the surgery on you mic. Your graph db level will be the same whether you measure with 10 or 100 mic volume.
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19172 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Great Discussion. I'm always amazed when I think I got some of the basics down and I visit this site only to find out something else I "need" to go home and mess with.
post #19173 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 382
As always... very interesting points in this thread. I'll try turning off DynEQ and see how I like it.

Being that one of my subs is near a corner, I felt that it was a tad overpowering while watching movies over the weekend.

Ah, this hobby never "ends"

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #19174 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ please report back what you find/like.
ahblaza likes this.
post #19175 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Yes, if it's clipped at 0MV, lower your recording mic volume in window to 10, that should take care of that without you performing the surgery on you mic. Your graph db level will be the same whether you measure with 10 or 100 mic volume.
Thanks Tony, I was completely unaware of that. I thought if I lowered the mic volume in Windows it would alter the graph measurement. So what is the benefit of changing the UMIK-1's gain to 12dB besides measuring subs with output above reference levels i.e. 125 + ?
Jeffrey
post #19176 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ none
ahblaza likes this.
post #19177 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
As always... very interesting points in this thread. I'll try turning off DynEQ and see how I like it.

Being that one of my subs is near a corner, I felt that it was a tad overpowering while watching movies over the weekend.

Ah, this hobby never "ends"
If you don't listen at reference levels Dynamic EQ is your friend. I've turned it off before and it's like it sucked all the life out of the subs.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #19178 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Upgrading from Epik Empire to PSA S3000I

Hello all,

I have just joined the PSA family. I am upgrading from an Epik Empire to the S3000I. Has anyone else upgraded to this sub? If so, what has been your experience. Which sub did you come from? Has anyone also previously owned the Empire? I am really curious to hear others impressions. I am also excited as all hell to get it! Can't wait...

John
post #19179 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post
Hello all,

I have just joined the PSA family. I am upgrading from an Epik Empire to the S3000I. Has anyone else upgraded to this sub? If so, what has been your experience. Which sub did you come from? Has anyone also previously owned the Empire? I am really curious to hear others impressions. I am also excited as all hell to get it! Can't wait...

John
Congratulations on your new sub purchase and welcome to the PSA family of happy subwoofer owners. I don't own the S3000i but I own dual XV15se's and I can tell you that the PSA subwoofers are incredible. And I can personally tell you that PSA has by far the best customer service you'll ever experience. Enjoy your new toy.
post #19180 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi Tom,

Just wondering if your any closer to being able to supply us Aussies with your new line of subs?

Also is there any chance you'll be making a v1800?

Thanks
post #19181 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyant View Post
Hi Tom,

Just wondering if your any closer to being able to supply us Aussies with your new line of subs?

Thanks
www.deephzaudio.com

I imagine the new line will eventually work that direction.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19182 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
S3000i - Five weeks in...

Bottom line, I really like it ! My main "concern" was, how would it do for music ? After five weeks and hours of twitching, tweaking, adjusting, mulling, fretting (don't BS yourself, you know what I'm talking about) and profound analytical processing, it does music just fine. The 3000 can be as fast and nimble as the recording it's rendering requires, it can also be a heavy & thundering beast . ( think John Paul Jones and J Bonham in Led Zepp's Celebration Day). In movie mode, the 3000 is just plain fun. It makes my suspended floor feel like a rolling ocean, gun shots are startling and on some explosions it has made me laugh out loud, which is priceless. Money well spent and highly recommended.

As a sad footnote, I believe my Servo 15 has been mortally wounded in the line of duty. It couldn't keep up.

A niggling, tiny thought has started to worm it's way into my brain, I think a S1500 would keep up and help me through the grieving period ......

Outlaw 975, Krell KAV-500,
Old school Def Tech BP-2000s,CLR 2000, BPX surrounds
PSA S3000i & Paradigm Servo-15
PS Audio PP-300,Sony BDP-S550,
Sony VPL-VWPRO-1, 92" Draper Onyx......
post #19183 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Hello all,

John
Congrats on the new toy, I really think you are going to like this upgrade.

I am 2 weeks into an S3000i and still stand by... Holy Crap !! This thing is crazy good...
post #19184 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Hello all,

John
I'll go ahead and jump in here, even though I don't have an "answer." I, too, have an Epik Empire and WILL be moving to PSA. I've been following this thread for a couple of years (this is my first post here ), and finally jumped into a chat session with Tom yesterday. I am looking at the S3000i and XS30se, and Tom steered me toward the XS30se. While he assured me that either would be a significant upgrade from the Empire, at my listening levels (almost never above -15 MV), he felt I wouldn't get the benefits of the S3000i. I still might go that route, just to eliminate the "what-if" feeling, but it's good to know that either way Tom feels it will be a solid upgrade. This is, without question, my favorite thread on AVS, and it's been awesome getting to know all of you guys. And now it feels less creepy, since I've actually posted something. I can't wait to join the PSA family!
post #19185 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post
I'll go ahead and jump in here, even though I don't have an "answer." I, too, have an Epik Empire and WILL be moving to PSA. I've been following this thread for a couple of years (this is my first post here ), and finally jumped into a chat session with Tom yesterday. I am looking at the S3000i and XS30se, and Tom steered me toward the XS30se. While he assured me that either would be a significant upgrade from the Empire, at my listening levels (almost never above -15 MV), he felt I wouldn't get the benefits of the S3000i. I still might go that route, just to eliminate the "what-if" feeling, but it's good to know that either way Tom feels it will be a solid upgrade. This is, without question, my favorite thread on AVS, and it's been awesome getting to know all of you guys. And now it feels less creepy, since I've actually posted something. I can't wait to join the PSA family!
Simple answer...get one of each to test out and send one back on the 30 day return. The only flaw in that is you might just keep both.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #19186 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Simple answer...get one of each to test out and send one back on the 30 day return. The only flaw in that is you might just keep both.
I was pretty confident that would be the offered solution. The reason not to do it that you outlined is the reason I'm not going to do it
gbreda likes this.
post #19187 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I was pretty confident that would be the offered solution. The reason not to do it that you outlined is the reason I'm not going to do it
Smart man-financially smart that is. Yeah, I got 2 s3000i to test single and then dual. I am still on single and loving it. My girlfriend said yesterday "the single sounds fantastic-and you do know that if you set up the second that both will stay". Ya know, I dont know where she gets these ideas?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #19188 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Subwoofer crawl question

I have dual V1500s that I need to get dialed in better. I just now started to learn REW and think I have a major null around 40HZ. Not sure if it's a newbie don't know how to use REW issue. Once I get better with REW I will post some graphs.

But my question is, due to the weight and size of the V1500, can I use a Velodyne SPL1000 I have in another room and place it in the MLP and do the crawl and get decent results on placement?

Thanks.
ahblaza likes this.

Marantz AV8801, MM8077, MM7055, FL/FR- Triton 2s, CC-Supercenter XL, SL/SR-Sat 50s, BL/BR-Sat 50s, Height/width-4 Sat3s, dual PSA V1500s, Sony HW50ES, Dalite HCCV 110".
post #19189 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by satfam View Post
I have dual V1500s that I need to get dialed in better. I just now started to learn REW and think I have a major null around 40HZ. Not sure if it's a newbie don't know how to use REW issue. Once I get better with REW I will post some graphs.

But my question is, due to the weight and size of the V1500, can I use a Velodyne SPL1000 I have in another room and place it in the MLP and do the crawl and get decent results on placement?

Thanks.
Since you're doing duals, you need to start by measuring each individually. Honestly, REW precludes the need for the SW crawl since you can actually measure rather than relying on "hearing" the difference.

Get one set up in a good spot. Then, get the other set up in another good spot. Ensure that you're phase aligned and you'll be generally good to go.

A: Marantz AV7702 | McIntosh C2300 | McIntosh MC452 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
V: Vizio P702UI-b3
S: VPI Traveler v2 | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV | Parasound Zdac
Best ID Subwoofers by Price and Vendor
post #19190 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello, I came from Epik's and first off the difference in customer service is worth it in itself. I have never experienced the service that both Jim and Tom have provided, I was an early adopter and knew nothing about PSA. I've purchased several (ha ha) subs from them over time, and each was an eye opening experience in comparison to the Epiks. PSA has a distinctive involving sound, subtle when needed and explosive on demand.

I have XS30SEs and really like them, I may have an S3000i on hand one day to compare the difference between the two subs. There is one problem with PSA subs, they always make you think what would the XYZ PSA sub (s) sound like. As all know on this forum I've had every sub except the XV30 in my home (no ICE amps yet) I've never returned one of them within the thirty day home trial. I've traded up or sold to get whatever I wanted.

With me it's not a matter of which subwoofer company to go with but rather which and how many PSA subs do I want not need.

In my opinion Epiks were good but when you hear the PSA's you'll know you made the right decision, it's just a matter of how many

The above statements probably didn't help you one bit in making a decision except for the fact I'm a PSA Fan Man.........Made in the USA, free shipping both ways, bumper to bumper warranty ( not just the drivers but electronics as well). How can you not ride the sonic wave, the speakers aren't too shabby either..... same deal as the subs

Cheers Jeffrey
Mike Butny likes this.
post #19191 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satfam View Post

Thanks.
I think you can but just placing the 1500 in the area where your MLP is should be sufficient. I think Hopinator compared both of these options, placing his XV15SE on the actual seating (chair or couch) and also in the spot where his chair or couch was and found it made no difference. Maybe he can chime in with this and answer your question better. I think you should use the sub you plan on using for the sub crawl, just my opinion.
Cheers Jeffrey
post #19192 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I think you can but just placing the 1500 in the area where your MLP is should be sufficient. I think Hopinator compared both of these options, placing his XV15SE on the actual seating (chair or couch) and also in the spot where his chair or couch was and found it made no difference. Maybe he can chime in with this and answer your question better. I think you should use the sub you plan on using for the sub crawl, just my opinion.
Cheers Jeffrey
You going with dual V3600 or jumping straight into quad territory?
ahblaza likes this.
post #19193 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I tell you what....forget the "almost never above -15MV" vibe, the day that sub arrives you will keep wondering what it can do at -5MV and I promise you you will take it there. I do that with my XV15se all the time.
ahblaza likes this.
post #19194 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor 2 View Post
I tell you what....forget the "almost never above -15MV" vibe, the day that sub arrives you will keep wondering what it can do at -5MV and I promise you you will take it there. I do that with my XV15se all the time.

And then you will regret not getting the bigger sub(I know I do...). Get the 3000i and don't look back.
post #19195 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor 2 View Post
And then you will regret not getting the bigger sub(I know I do...). Get the 3000i and don't look back.
Or you can just add another or 2 XV15se and take them to MV -0 all day.
ahblaza and James Taylor 2 like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19196 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 510
I listened at -18db and never thought I would go higher. That was until I got speakers that could go comfortably higher... Now I am nearing -10db territory lol.

I bring this up because it seems like once someone gets the PSA subs they end wanting the PSA speakers, and if this happens you'll want all the subwoofage you can get.
mnc likes this.
post #19197 of 22064 Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Or you can just add another or 2 XV15se and take them to MV -0 all day.

I have a limit to how many "big black boxes" I can put in the living area(WAF issues) so I need to make a wise decision as whether to just add another or go bigger. I am leaning towards going bigger so saving up for it....
post #19198 of 22064 Old 05-12-2015, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyant View Post
Hi Tom,

Thanks
Hi Ebonyant.

All new models will make their way to Australia very soon.

We're working closely with Tom and Jim to ensure the new Ice Amps are fully settled and of course there are new models not far from release. It will be great to have every new model available for Aussie customers.

Peter @ Deep Hz Audio
Australia
ahblaza and ebonyant like this.
post #19199 of 22064 Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked: 1863
another detriment to the pocketbook? building a dedicated HT with AT screen. Now I have NO WAF to stop me (just bought a 3rd sub and put it in there to zero fanfare from her! when I had to pull teeth to get my second xs30 when I had the theater setup in our living room) so of course now I am thinknig what would mtm210's sound like over the mt110's (this will never happen though...just cant justfy the price difference in my room )

but this is a great hobby with great people...and great choices in the ID world...good stuff

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 5.2.4 ATMOS | Emotiva XPA-5 gen |Emotiva XPA-200| PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 | MINIdsp 88a Dirac

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #19200 of 22064 Old 05-12-2015, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm right there with you Brian. Started the dedicated home theater upgrade with the 5.1 from PSA(planning on 9.2.4 over the next 3 to 4 years), then the Denon. My UMIK-1 should arrive today. I'm torn between the Sony VPL-HW40ES and the 55ES projectors (will decide in the next week or so). What AT screen are you looking at? I'm considering Seymour-Screen Excellence's Enlightor 4K based on the Accucal report. All this within about 3 months, my budget is screaming at me.

Sources: Sony BDP-S480, Direct TV
Processing: Denon AVR-4520CI
Speakers: F-RCL PSA MTM210, Sur-LR Bose 301, RSur-LR PSA MT110, Sub PSA XS30SE
Display: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Screen Excellence 149.1 Diag 16:9 EN4K CW masking
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page