Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 644 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #19291 of 19305 Unread 05-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Sorry, Ive read more than one comparo of XT32 vs Dirac, as well as XT32 vs other alternatives. I just don't buy your statement.

I have a feeling something else had influence in one sounding so much better than the other. Every room and every setup behaves differently.

Saying Audyssey (no version type) doesnt come close to Dirac is, well, amusing.
Regardless, his impressions are interesting.

Hey Brian, I can't remember but how do your in room plots compare between xt32 and dirac?

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 05-20-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19305 Unread 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I run both subs off of one sub out on my XT32 SubEQ HT AVR (4520). I know, I know....it's considered heresy to have SubEQ HT and not use it....but I get better results with both subs on one sub out, and I can prove it with measurements.
Hey Alan, are you running both subs off the AVR only? No miniDSP or other sound processor?

I have had my miniDSP in-line since the dual V1500s have been in but since my auto off problems got the life of me I postponed learning REW and toying with the miniDSP. Now that I have the new amplifiers installed (thus solving auto off problems) I am considering either trying the miniDSP or selling it and getting an XT32 receiver or some other processor like the antimode.

Time is precious these days and frankly I just don't have it in me to play around with REW and the miniDSP. Things sound excellent the way they are now. If an XT32 receiver does what a miniDSP could do then I am definitely interested in the upgrade.

Suggestions?

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #19293 of 19305 Unread 05-20-2015, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 2206
You should learn REW first no matter what kind of eq or room correction you are using. the mini dsp or any eq should be a last resort. If it all is too time consuming for you then consider a Anti-mode. However your response may be decent without any eq at all, but you will never know unless you measure.
nalthien likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19294 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Sorry, Ive read more than one comparo of XT32 vs Dirac, as well as XT32 vs other alternatives. I just don't buy your statement.

I have a feeling something else had influence in one sounding so much better than the other. Every room and every setup behaves differently.

Wel Dirac does impulse response which is a HUGE factor is sound difference. You can be a skeptic. But I am far from the only one who feels the same way. And I went in with the bias that I would be sticking with audyssey. I know tons of people that HATE audyssey. So not sure why my opinion is laughable to you. So I roll my eyes at you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Exactly, I was going to say that but decided not to. Perhaps he used the 'add offset to data' in REW?
Yeah that's my bad. I just posted the for the FR. I didn't check the spl cal. Once I did the FR was the same but was centered at 115db with 8 he being aroun 113db
post #19295 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly, I was going to say that but decided not to. Perhaps he used the 'add offset to data' in REW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Regardless, his impressions are interesting.

Hey Brian, I can't remember but how do your in room plots compare between xt32 and dirac?
Yes I do. Let me get to work and I'll post them. I won't have both full range until tonight.

But I have the triple xs30's response for both.

Audyssey:

Dirac:
post #19296 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Hey Alan, are you running both subs off the AVR only? No miniDSP or other sound processor?

I have had my miniDSP in-line since the dual V1500s have been in but since my auto off problems got the life of me I postponed learning REW and toying with the miniDSP. Now that I have the new amplifiers installed (thus solving auto off problems) I am considering either trying the miniDSP or selling it and getting an XT32 receiver or some other processor like the antimode.

Time is precious these days and frankly I just don't have it in me to play around with REW and the miniDSP. Things sound excellent the way they are now. If an XT32 receiver does what a miniDSP could do then I am definitely interested in the upgrade.

Suggestions?
Nope, currently no MiniDSP. I've had one for about a year and a half but every time I tried to use it I had headroom issues....I haven't even tried it since I upgraded to the dual T-18s, just nothing to really motivate me to do it.

When I had quad XS15s and was struggling to get them to work in my living room, I thought the MiniDSP might offer a solution...it did not. I just needed more subwoofage.

An XT32 AVR does not do everything a MiniDSP does, but for the vast majority of folks it does the job well enough to negate the need for external EQ. Kinda depends on your room/sub placment/etc. However, if you don't learn REW and measure your response with XT32 you can't know if you need more help or not.

Let me guess...you got kids??

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #19297 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Yes I do. Let me get to work and I'll post them. I won't have both full range until tonight.

But I have the triple xs30's response for both.

Audyssey:

Dirac:

Hmmm...IME I think I would actually prefer the Audyssey graph with the hump in the middle there. The Dirac response does definitely sound better to you Brian?

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #19298 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm...IME I think I would actually prefer the Audyssey graph with the hump in the middle there. The Dirac response does definitely sound better to you Brian?
the beauty of dirac is...I can add that hump if i wanted to...Im not sure I want to though..the goal afterall is to be flat...

I didnt get a chance to really push the sound last night...I will try some demo scenes tonight for sure though (maybe not crank it..thats saved for sunday nights

but for the rest of the FR (above 300hz) 100% it sounds much better than audyssey

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #19299 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Yeah that's my bad. I just posted the for the FR. I didn't check the spl cal. Once I did the FR was the same but was centered at 115db with 8 he being aroun 113db
Impressive numbers still smaller sealed room is nice, adding a third sub in this room is nicer.
post #19300 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope, currently no MiniDSP. I've had one for about a year and a half but every time I tried to use it I had headroom issues....I haven't even tried it since I upgraded to the dual T-18s, just nothing to really motivate me to do it.

When I had quad XS15s and was struggling to get them to work in my living room, I thought the MiniDSP might offer a solution...it did not. I just needed more subwoofage.

An XT32 AVR does not do everything a MiniDSP does, but for the vast majority of folks it does the job well enough to negate the need for external EQ. Kinda depends on your room/sub placment/etc. However, if you don't learn REW and measure your response with XT32 you can't know if you need more help or not.

Let me guess...you got kids??
Gosh you guessed it. Three little ones.

I spent an awful lot of time with display calibration a few months ago. Probably close to 40 hours... the results were satisfying it is just that I was pretty exhausted at the end (it was all done late in the evening).

I have some vacation coming up... I'll bust out the Umik and learn REW then. Just need to promise myself not to get obsessive like I did with calibrating my display
sinisanav likes this.
post #19301 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Brian, can you post graph of your 3 subs without Aud and Dirac? It seems Dirac boost more down low as compared to Aud and I like to see how much of the boost it is. Dirac graph definitely is flatter. Thanks.
post #19302 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Brian, can you post graph of your 3 subs without Aud and Dirac? It seems Dirac boost more down low as compared to Aud and I like to see how much of the boost it is. Dirac graph definitely is flatter. Thanks.
no I dont....Ill see if I can get some tonight if I have time...the dirac filter (the green line it shows where it gets its filters from) does not show a boost in those regions...

In fact Dirac doesn't touch the response under 10hz so it's not Dirac. I think the external time alignment helps a bunch vs audyssey

but again Ill try to get some some point

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; Yesterday at 09:29 AM.
post #19303 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 2206
Imo opinion the goal is to not have any peaks or dips. After that all that matters is what sounds good to you.

I have had my response razor flat into the mid teens but I like it better with a gradual roll off starting around 25hz.

The difference is my setup is in a living room with pictures, glass, and other random stuff to shake rattle and roll. Pulling out some low end helps tame that. Now in a dedicated room like yours, a nice fat house curve probably sounds great.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19304 of 19305 Unread Yesterday, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Edit: NVM everything is working properly.

Last edited by bear123; Today at 07:29 AM.
post #19305 of 19305 Unread Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm interested to know if anyone has or is going to compared a PSA sub to a Reaction Audio sub?

It looks like the new Reaction Audio subs will start shipping next week maybe. It's interesting... their sealed 15 (Gamma 15) is slightly more powerful and slightly cheaper than the S1500.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread