Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 652 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #19531 of 19538 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
^^^

Well, then...doesn't belong in the PSA thread.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19532 of 19538 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbzeluck View Post
Just ordered a PSA XV15 last week that should be here this friday!!!

Just came across a Hsu vtf-3 mk3 that is local to me and thinking about picking it up for a good price. I am a newb to the HT systems. My question is would theHsu vtf-3 mk3 match up well with a XV15?
Run the vtf-3 in max extension mode to minimize and phase shift related cancellation. You'll be about half or less in terms of clean output(compared to the XV15) so if possible position the hsu much closer to the key seating.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #19533 of 19538 Old Today, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
^^^ yes different sub but reason why I posted here was lots of help and good advice I picked up from bunch of you guys at this particular thread about usage of REW( like within last hours as well), tweaking the sub placement and interest in use of EQ, antimode , that I did not find in other threads including the antimode thread itself . REW thread is good but mostly quite overwhelming.So, as I do antimode EQ and Audyssey tonight I will post it here for folks interested in seeing how it works/helps and might consider buying it,the deal that all of you interested in that option get from buying through PSA is hard to match. After that I will stop placing non-PSA graphs here. Then again, buying and trying dual S1500's is still real possibility in the weeks to come.
post #19534 of 19538 Old Today, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
exactly my point that if the sweep is compressing at 95db...NO WAY he is getting usable output to 8hz. it has to be VERY loud down there to get anything usable

I have 3 xs30's in a 1300cu.ft room and I finally am able to get usable output that low...thats 6 15" drivers...vs his 2 12" drivers..not happening
Well, the rooms are a variable. 95dB around 8-10hz seems about right. With a sealed room <1500 cu-ft you can see crazy amounts of room gain. 15dB or more at 10hz wouldn't be unusual. So, let's assume 15dB at 10hz. That means a single SB2000 would need to hit something like 65dB at 10hz outside? Seems close.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #19535 of 19538 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Well, the rooms are a variable. 95dB around 8-10hz seems about right. With a sealed room <1500 cu-ft you can see crazy amounts of room gain. 15dB or more at 10hz wouldn't be unusual. So, let's assume 15dB at 10hz. That means a single SB2000 would need to hit something like 65dB at 10hz outside? Seems close.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Im not discounting his room gain...what I am discounting is the ability to hear (well feel in this case) anything below 10hz with his setup because you have to get to very loud levels at 10hz for it to be even remotly noticeable...

95db ain it unless its a sine wav in optimal conditions I know there is a curve graph that shows as you go lower the volume needs to go up..let me see if I can find it

EDIT:

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen |Emotiva XPA-200| PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #19536 of 19538 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Im not discounting his room gain...what I am discounting is the ability to hear (well feel in this case) anything below 10hz with his setup because you have to get to very loud levels at 10hz for it to be even remotly noticeable...

95db ain it unless its a sine wav in optimal conditions I know there is a curve graph that shows as you go lower the volume needs to go up..let me see if I can find it

EDIT:
couple things come to mind---mostly thinking out loud.

1)His compression sweeps don't show much compression down low, he may have another 5dB(or more) in he tank.

2)Sweeps are going to be 2-3-4dB lower than (in max output) versus a movie---just steady state versus transient.

3)When he talks about the deep bass effects from his sub I though he was referencing the difference from the mains alone(we only extended to 25-30hz)? If so, his subjective impressions will be due to the 8hz to 25hz range.

Anyway,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #19537 of 19538 Old Today, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
95db of bass output is not loud at all...I am guessing his mic cal is off. MV -0 should be in the 113-115db range unless the subs are calibrated wrong. Anyway we need to see where compression starts. So post some new graphs here or in a new thread. I am curious to see either way.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19538 of 19538 Unread Today, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
95db of bass output is not loud at all...I am guessing his mic cal is off. MV -0 should be in the 113-115db range unless the subs are calibrated wrong. Anyway we need to see where compression starts. So post some new graphs here or in a new thread. I am curious to see either way.
So, got some crazy measurements after running antimode today, appears it just canceled the room gain, that threw of Audyssey as well, as it followed whatever Antimode did to subwoofer signal.
See the graphs below, I will need to rerun the Antimode,to see if this was a fluke measurement or not...
As I bypassed the antimode and ran the sweeps trying with and without Audyssey, the room gain/extension down low has returned, and overall response actually looked better with no audysey...
So above took me good 90 mins or more, got late and my wife was not happy with me running compression sweeps at 1030PM, so I did just two sub-only sweeps, at 0MV ( got extra 1 dB above the measure at 0MV from yesterday,) and 4+MV was the highest my AVR allowed and then the compression was visible(just added that one to sweeps from yesterday on the graph).
Now, the highest I tried the volume knob on the subs was 12 o'clock, and it can go to 5 PM, so one of these days I will do proper, sub only compression sweeps to see how much more juice is hiding in the subs.

Anyway, more meddling with EQ in my next few weeks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb no antimode vs antimode.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	752841   Click image for larger version

Name:	compression +4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	752873  

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page