Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 658 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22494Likes

Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Wait a sec, did you get BOTH grill styles?
Yes I did. I thought the oval grills might be interesting with the veneer and the subs located in an open environment. My wife prefered the traditional. Think I'm leaning her way.
mnc, oneeyeblind and gkf15 like this.

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X - Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD - Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV - 7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), Studio CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG Dayton HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
V or S3600i ?

But wouldn't the size and shape vs T18 mitigate that to some extent?

Yes sorry that's what I meant.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I would think a V3600i might end up cannibalizing business from T-18 sales though.
Well it all depends, I'm sure there are customers like myself that will always prefer sealed over ported/vented so we would always stick with a sealed model. I think a S3600i would be a great option for customers that want sealed, more output but not the 3K price tag of a T18.

I will go on record and say that the V3600i is going to be a HUGE hit, and if the regular price was $1900-2K they would not be able to keep up with the demand.

EDIT: Ok Jb, I saw you meant S3600i and not V3600i.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 06-10-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well lucky for you I am planning a road trip to denver with a friend just for the show. I suppose I could setup the room and destroy peoples preconceptions for a few days.

Dr HSU did that at the NY audio show last year (or the year before) He had an old Onkyo 5.1 receiver wired with POS 16 ga wire and with the help of some room treatments put on one hell of a show. I am certain a PSA room would do better if you could push to the volumes that we all would expect.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
@kjlewie - are you on a concrete slab? If so, do you find the benefits of the extension below 15hz, especially with the amount of output you have on tap?

How does you diy 18" Dayton ultimax with the crown perform compared to an s3000i?
Yep, we are in the basement with a slab and concrete for the majority of the walls. So, I doubt we experience much of the tactile sensations down that low, but I don't know. This is our 2nd basement HT and we've had buttkickers in both. I thought there was more tactile feel on the 2nd row riser in HT 1.0, but with the buttkickers i really can't say. Plus, I dont typically run at volumes to try to force the tactile issue in such a difficult room. I would like to experience ultra low bass in sealed wood floor/over the garage type room at some point.

In my initial impression, the 18s have a deeper overall sound with each driver getting about 800w. The S3000i has a much stronger mid bass sound/feel. I may measure them separately at some point to dig a little deeper.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X - Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD - Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV - 7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), Studio CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG Dayton HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
Old 06-10-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
What you mean Tom, I thought we agree more then disagree...sheesh.
Mike Butny likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Tom

When will you have a dealer in China????
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Yeah guys, let's not forget about the man behind the scenes who's responsible for a lot of the quality control and hand wired XOs and makes sure nothing leaves the facility before rigorous testing. Enter Mr. Jim Farina..........my man.

You're my man too Tom

Cheers Jeffrey
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Have you read the posts a page or two back where Tom picked on Fatty who owns PSA product plus the other guy's products? In the past, he also picked on jbrown who used to own psa product and now the other guy's products. Neither of them never said bad thing about PSA and I thought it is not cool for the owner to come out and pick on them which is why I chimed in and gave my opinion. I often recommend psa products if it's right for a member situation. You chose PSA, that is your choice. I already had my choice. Read Tom and my posts, did I say anything wrong other than as a consumer's opinion?
Tom-

I agree with the above post.

When you have the owner of a company creating a back and forth debate it doesn't do much on the positive end for your brand. You also have members talking about how you are bad mouthing other ID companies, now if that is true or not wont matter, its how what you post is interrupted by the reader.

Anything you write here will be looked at closely and if perceived negatively, could have a negative impact on your brand.

Something to think about...
tvuong, chucky7 and Gmash like this.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
Yes I did. I thought the oval grills might be interesting with the veneer and the subs located in an open environment. My wife prefered the traditional. Think I'm leaning her way.
Sitting here and looking at the S3000i in black, I like the rounded grills but I think I agree about the veneer and traditional.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
great post!^
Billy p, ahblaza and westsdad like this.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Well it all depends, I'm sure there are customers like myself that will always prefer sealed over ported/vented so we would always stick with a sealed model. I think a S3600i would be a great option for customers that want sealed, more output but not the 3K price tag of a T18.

I will go on record and say that the V3600i is going to be a HUGE hit, and if the regular price was $1900-2K they would not be able to keep up with the demand.

EDIT: Ok Jb, I saw you meant S3600i and not V3600i.
The only problem is a S3500I would likely be 2k plus.. Considering you would like need to use the 2,4.KW speaker power amps (Triax uses 4KW) to make it worthwhile upgrade over the S300I and considering it's only one less driver and the same amp platform I don't see prices being that much different.
ahblaza and gbreda like this.

ShaunH
Old 06-11-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Chucky7 gave him a "like" on the post, and he is probably the most outspoken, anti-PSA guy around.
How am I the most outspoken anti-PSA guy around?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
Any room in here for a few more pics of the S3000i in the wild?

I'm nearing the end of my 30 day trial period with the intent to keep enjoying the subs I added to my system. They are beautiful to look at, perform great and were a breeze to integrate into my system with my DIY subs.

These showed up on my birthday:

After eq'ing and running Audyssey with my 8801 I measured this response with my OmniMic:

Because of some shipping damage, I requested a replacement S3000i. Tom was fantastic in getting a replacement to me with very little pain. After some discussion and consideration, I decided to keep the damaged S3000i rather than ship it back and ended up with 3 of them . I decided to stack them in a rear corner until I could figure out where to place them that would make my wife happy.

With the subs temporarily stacked in the corner we watched Guardians of the Galaxy and it sounded so good I decided to measure the response (without yet re-running Audyssey):

Yeah, I want to leave them in the corner but I know that won't fly.

I'm very pleased with these subs! The response also includes my DIY subs up front.

I've clogged this thread enough so those interested in more pics can find them in the 2.0 link in my sig.

Nice look. I like the veneer!
kjlewie likes this.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Hi Tom quick question - I was perusing your site (the v3600 speaks to me....I've been resisting thus far since I know in my heart of hearts I don't reallllllly need its output) and noticed that the favored eq option seems to be the antimode rather than the minidsp. Can I ask the reason for the switch? I'm assuming does a better job, or is it just more of a plug-and-play solution?
gkf15 likes this.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Hi Tom quick question - I was perusing your site (the v3600 speaks to me....I've been resisting thus far since I know in my heart of hearts I don't reallllllly need its output) and noticed that the favored eq option seems to be the antimode rather than the minidsp. Can I ask the reason for the switch? I'm assuming does a better job, or is it just more of a plug-and-play solution?
Just more of a plug and play. Not everyone wants to measure tweak then measure more
Old 06-11-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Just more of a plug and play. Not everyone wants to measure tweak then measure more
I also think it is more advanced. It has some kind of chip(s) inside. And also more expensive. LOL.

When you can afford to spend a certain amount on things, your time is probably too valuable to be spent on measuring and tweaking.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I also think it is more advanced. It has some kind of chip(s) inside. And also more expensive. LOL.

When you can afford to spend a certain amount on things, your time is probably too valuable to be spent on measuring and tweaking.
i would not say its more advanced....it doesnt let you adjust any of its mesurements...

imho the minidsp is the superior product...but with that comes the knowledge of how to use it properly.

the antimode is for those who dont want to tweak...might not do 100% the job of the minidsp..but no time invloved. (btw I have owned both....and have chosen the minidsp)
ahblaza likes this.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
How am I the most outspoken anti-PSA guy around?
Your right, I got you confused with another. I edited my post - sorry. It was over PSA not being made in America and false claims. Maybe it was ShadyJ. Either way, I apologize.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
i would not say its more advanced....it doesnt let you adjust any of its mesurements...

imho the minidsp is the superior product...but with that comes the knowledge of how to use it properly.

the antimode is for those who dont want to tweak...might not do 100% the job of the minidsp..but no time invloved. (btw I have owned both....and have chosen the minidsp)
I went with the antimode. I prefer the KISS aproach. Keep it simple because I am stupid
Mike Butny, skip61 and ahblaza like this.

Last edited by csnow; 06-11-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I went with the antimode. I prefer the KISS aproach. Keep is simple because I am stupid
either is a great choice...and MUCH better than neither
Old 06-11-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I have read a few times of people on here using the minidsp and wasn't pleased and abandoned it. I have never used it, but as with any kind of software, there is the time to study how to use it, then there is a trial and error learning curve of knowing what works and what doesn't. If I was selling subs, I would offer something that is more user friendly just so it keeps the tech questions down. Also, the minidsp is for the audio geeks that enjoy tweaking for a hobby. Which is probably a very small percentage of the sales. I think the antimode is a smart option to have.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
I have read a few times of people on here using the minidsp and wasn't pleased and abandoned it. I have never used it, but as with any kind of software, there is the time to study how to use it, then there is a trial and error learning curve of knowing what works and what doesn't. If I was selling subs, I would offer something that is more user friendly just so it keeps the tech questions down. Also, the minidsp is for the audio geeks that enjoy tweaking for a hobby. Which is probably a very small percentage of the sales. I think the antimode is a smart option to have.

exactly.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 AM

Ok fellas, I am moving on. I have upgraded my subs, speakers, and amps so I am done for at least a couple of years. I appreciate all the posts and PMs through my upgrade process. I will be lurking around the room treatment area, blu-ray review threads, and gaming sections. Nothing personal, but hanging out with you bass heads with your charts and graphs will just make my head hurt and make me second guess my purchase, which would cause me to upgrade.

My mama warned me of people like you

Take care fellas and stay thirsty my friend.

Chris
mnc, Mike Butny, skip61 and 3 others like this.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4389
I've seen at times people who were using the minidsp talk about an issue with losing output (or something like that) so that has made me sit back and reconsider more than once what my best option would be between minidsp, Antimode, XT32, Minidsp with Dirac Live.

The more I ponder I lean towards the Antimode for it's simplicity. If I needed a new receiver I would just get one with XT32 and be done but I don't really need a new one right now so for me it's most likely either going to be Antimode or the minidsp.

Brian, is it the ability to have complete control over the settings that makes you like the minidsp over the Antimode? Weren't you having trouble with your minidsp a few months back so you took it out of the loop?
gkf15 likes this.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok fellas, I am moving on. I have upgraded my subs, speakers, and amps so I am done for at least a couple of years. I appreciate all the posts and PMs through my upgrade process. I will be lurking around the room treatment area, blu-ray review threads, and gaming sections. Nothing personal, but hanging out with you bass heads with your charts and graphs will just make my head hurt and make me second guess my purchase, which would cause me to upgrade.

My mama warned me of people like you

Take care fellas and stay thirsty my friend.

Chris
You'll be back. This thread is like the Borg...Resistance is futile.

But if by some chance you do escape, I've enjoyed your posts.

So long….. for now.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I've seen at times people who were using the minidsp talk about an issue with losing output (or something like that) so that has made me sit back and reconsider more than once what my best option would be between minidsp, Antimode, XT32, Minidsp with Dirac Live.

The more I ponder I lean towards the Antimode for it's simplicity. If I needed a new receiver I would just get one with XT32 and be done but I don't really need a new one right now so for me it's most likely either going to be Antimode or the minidsp.

Brian, is it the ability to have complete control over the settings that makes you like the minidsp over the Antimode? Weren't you having trouble with your minidsp a few months back so you took it out of the loop?
yes i prefer to have COMPLETE control over my EQ if its an option

and yes I had issues, but it was fixed by ysplitters..I still took it out because XT32 mad.so flat I didnt need to add PEQ at all...but now its back in as I needed to time align my 3 subs properly with using DIRAC
Old 06-11-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
First, tvuong comments weren't friendly or innocent, so lets call a duck a duck.

This post isn't a question, a suggestion - it is an offensive move. All his post is saying is that price and benchmarks are first to him and that perks like made in the US, 5 year warranty, and pretty much 8x7 customer support doesnt matter. If you want to come in and publicly tell a man that everything he has based his business on doesn't matter and all the others guys are the same or better, then don't get your feelings hurt if he doesn't offer you a hug. Tom's rebuttal was on point and proper. He is defending his company, product, and business philosophy.

FattyMcButterPants's post was primarily about product overlap and whether or not it would make sense to pursue. Customer service was mentioned and then it spiraled downward for which I don't think there was ever intent for it to go there. I see his and Tom's viewpoint on the issue. I even PM'd him and told him that I felt bad he was getting his chops busted. Tvuong's post is nothing more than lipstick on a pig. Now, he is the victim Give me a break....

If specs and price are what your after, fine. Go hang out in those threads. If you like servo subs, fine. Go hang out in those forums. If you prefer Chinese manufactured products because they are cheaper, fine. Go hangout in China - seriously, move! If you just want to defend the "others" because they don't offer the same perks and want to dismiss those perks then leave. There are many people here that chose PSA for those "perks". We are perky bunch
You have your opinion/choice and I had mine. I wouldn't chime in if he didn't pick on the member. He then made it sound like the other guys do not have good products as he spent months on engineering his products and the debate went on. The perks psa offers are important to you, they are not to me. This is why you have psa and I do not. What's wrong with that? What do you think about the owner of a company that kept cherry picking a member post after post and it is not the first time or the only member he did that to. I guess you won't know till it's you. Why do you have to defense Tom? Cuz you own his products? Let him do it for himself.
This is an open public forum, AVS forum that is and I have my right to hang out anywhere (China included) I want to and give my opinion/debate, so do you. Are you the forum police? Last time I checked, you aren't one.
Gmash likes this.

Last edited by tvuong; 06-11-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just hope that the negativity ends soon and things can get back to being more positive. All the bickering was interesting for a while but now it's getting depressing.

And from what I can tell it has solved nothing because it's still going on. As with every argument no one side is blameless and worst of all I don't even understand what the arguing is about (and I've read every bloody post). But I do know reputations are beginning to get tarnished and that's bad.
Alan P, mnc, ahblaza and 2 others like this.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
The Mini DSP is a awesome piece of software. However my experience with the 2x4 unbalanced is the signal clips about -5db lower then without it in the signal chain. I have a yamaha 773 and I can normally turn the volume up to -0 without clipping. If I go past that point the signal starts clipping. Add the mini dsp in the chain and I am now limited to -5. If I listen at lower volumes -10/-15 range there are no issues...however I like to be able to get spirited from time to time. The clipping issues has been a problem with the mini with several others. I am not sure if it has to do with certain AVR pre out voltage, but I know it definitely limits my headroom to some degree. If it was not for that I would have it in the chain because it's capabilities are fantastic.

The base antimode is designed mainly for one sub or duals if they equal distant from the LP. It's a plug and play solution mainly for those that do not have XT32 sub eq HT. For those with XT32 I do not see the base Antimode offering much improvement.

The dual core is where it's at if you can fork the bill. I have spoke with Tom about it and I might try one out. This device actually adds some gain in the signal chain, so there is no need for y splitters(which do not work for ice amps anyway). This unit can discretely eq dual subs or in my case 3. The 2 subs that are equal distance from the LP hook up to channel 1, the 3rd sub will hook to channel 2.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15