Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 673 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22557Likes
post #20161 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 579
First off Jared, PSA makes fantastic products that run with the best of them. Made in the USA always helps, and if you have ever had horrible customer service on something, then you know how important it is. I have been in a sales environment my entire life, and I can assure you that Tom and Jim are impeccable in this area. No matter what the issue is, it is truly customer comes first attitude. The fact that they make great subs is just icing on the cake.

As far as the finish, it really does look great in person. Will your wife like it? Hard to say, but to me they don't call attention to themselves and just blend into the room. Here's an idea....considering the free shipping, just order them and try to sneak them into place in your theater. See how long it takes her to notice they are there...well, until you watch ANYTHING. lol. I bet it would take her a little while to notice them.

And finally, as far as most noticeable difference with an upgrade, I'm with basshead and hop on this one. A great sub if crossed correctly can make a huge difference in overall sound quality. If you are content with the highs you have right now then they will get you by for a little while longer. The impact the subs will have will most likely have you happy at moderate levels and the highs shouldn't be taxed at those levels. Certainly you will want to upgrade later, but add some good subs and cross them high, and it will take the subpar midrange of your speakers almost out of the question. just don't make the mistake of looking at your speaker specs that say they extend to 40hz and try crossing there. cross high, 100-120 and you will be amazed at how things sound.
oneeyeblind and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20162 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMlover View Post
Dude, all women are sisters. For some strange reason, there are a few who tolerate men and our toys SLIGHTLY more than others.

You guys have the wrong women. My wife doesn't question anything that I buy including car stuff and audio/video equipment. She actually gets excited when I get new stuff for the system. When I brought home two ported Caps, she said "are those new subs? Awesome! Hook them up, I want to hear how loud they are!"

Just for the record, the previous long term girlfriends were the same, so they do exist. You have to lay the groundwork early!
oneeyeblind, gbreda, femi and 1 others like this.
post #20163 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 2513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredseahawks View Post
Sounds good and dangerous. I might like it too much and the wife might kill the moment. An argument might develop :grinning: I'm going to sit her down in front of the screen and see what she says. Good idea, bad idea? Or just order them and be a man! :see_no_evil:

Off subject question, as I mentioned I have a boxed emotiva amp. Didn't realize it didn't fit my stand until after i ordered it. Anyone know of a specific modern TV stand 48-60 inches that would hold the amp?
Hang the TV on the wall and put the amp on a floating shelf.
DCMlover likes this.

post #20164 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Sounds good and dangerous. I might like it too much and the wife might kill the moment. An argument might develop :grinning: I'm going to sit her down in front of the screen and see what she says. Good idea, bad idea? Or just order them and be a man! :see_no_evil:
My wife never argued with me until I got the xv15se setup and knocked some dishes off the counter in the kitchen (we were in a much smaller house then). The second complaint came after watching fury extremely loud, my wife has fairly severe anxiety and she started saying how she didn't like how things shaking and her body shaking made her feel. We boxed up the xv15se and shipped it back and replaced it with a S1500 and though the house still shakes and I can still feel the bass in a lot of movies the wife seems more content. For its size and everything I have to say the S1500 was probably the better choice, i do miss a little of the xv's power in the 16-25hz range but the S1500 is no slouch by any means.
post #20165 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 AM

The funny part of all this is my wife could care less about audio but now when we go anywhere and she hears bad sounding speakers she cringes and looks over at me and laughs saying I have ruined her ears. One of the best comparisons I did between the Bic and the PSA speakers was the opening credits of Edge Of Tomorrow, that will instantly show you the difference between the two subs.
post #20166 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just finished installing my Yamaha 2020. Good looking receiver. So the more and more I think about it, im probably going to go with dual s3000i since it offers other finishes. I'm still going to sit my wife in front of the screen and see what she thinks of the black texture. So I'm thinking a single s3000i = 12 pl-200's? Here is another question, my front wall rattles at the moment with the pl-200's I can only imagine what a single/dual s3000i will do to my house. Do the subs come with structural insurance :grinning: what do you guys do to limit the rattle in the walls? Do acoustic panels and bass traps really work? Forgot to mention my setup is in the living room which is open to the kitchen.
post #20167 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Just finished installing my Yamaha 2020. Good looking receiver. So the more and more I think about it, im probably going to go with dual s3000i since it offers other finishes. I'm still going to sit my wife in front of the screen and see what she thinks of the black texture. So I'm thinking a single s3000i = 12 pl-200's? Here is another question, my front wall rattles at the moment with the pl-200's I can only imagine what a single/dual s3000i will do to my house. Do the subs come with structural insurance :grinning: what do you guys do to limit the rattle in the walls? Do acoustic panels and bass traps really work? Forgot to mention my setup is in the living room which is open to the kitchen.

What exactly is rattling, the sheet rock or some thing in the wall
post #20168 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Quote:
Thanks for the great advise. I'm taking notes. The system will be Mainly for theater. I'd say about 80/20. Speakers I'm looking at are klipsch rf7, polk rti a9, and Martin Logan motion 60. As to the subs, well PSA makes allot of sense. The only thing that holds me back is the black texture finish (the wife), and If I wanted a different finish I would need to go up to the 3000. The v3600 is out of my price range/budget. Plus if I get the sub it would need to be duals. Probably overkill, just looks better in my opinion. Luckily for me I can have as many subs as I want, but they need to blend in or else (said the wife) :flushed:

My current set up consists of pioneer speaker sp-fs52 (fronts and center), Onkyo 717, Vapex 110 screen, Epson 8350 and Bic pl-200. I currently have a Yamaha 2020 and emotiva xpa 5 boxed ready for the new speaker upgrade.
Regarding your speakers. I used to have the Polk RTi-A7s (similar to the A9) for three years and they were good speakers. Personally I have heard the Klipsch and I didn't really like them because I find them to be fatiguing to listen to but that's just my opinion. I have not heard those particular Martin Logans.

What I can tell you is I really liked my A7s but decided to give the PSA 110s a try (no risk involved with the 30 day in home trial and free shipping both ways). I was (and am still) amazed at the how wonderful the 110s sound. They beat out the Polks in every way and I really liked my Polks. So I switched from the Polks to the PSA and have no regrets.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20169 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Thanks for the great advise. I'm taking notes. The system will be Mainly for theater. I'd say about 80/20. Speakers I'm looking at are klipsch rf7, polk rti a9, and Martin Logan motion 60. As to the subs, well PSA makes allot of sense. The only thing that holds me back is the black texture finish (the wife), and If I wanted a different finish I would need to go up to the 3000. The v3600 is out of my price range/budget. Plus if I get the sub it would need to be duals. Probably overkill, just looks better in my opinion. Luckily for me I can have as many subs as I want, but they need to blend in or else (said the wife) :flushed:

My current set up consists of pioneer speaker sp-fs52 (fronts and center), Onkyo 717, Vapex 110 screen, Epson 8350 and Bic pl-200. I currently have a Yamaha 2020 and emotiva xpa 5 boxed ready for the new speaker upgrade.
I have the RF7-II's and they are not fatiguing to me and I have never read a review of anyone having them complained about them being fatiguing. Maybe the older lower end models where. Actually, I wish they were a little more detailed on the high end. And the mids seems a little flat to me. But I have to remind you, room acoustics plays a big role how speakers sound. Just be aware that the RF7's are BIG. Which is why I am thinking of selling mine and getting something smaller. For Home Theater, they are a beast and will play plenty loud and clear. And the matching center is a 50 pound monster itself. People either like horns or dont like them. But if you want loud SPL, horns are the way to go. As you see, PSA has horns on there HT speakers.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #20170 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
Psa shouldn't even call them horns. They sound nothing like any other horn I have ever heard. Impossible to NOT like these even if you HATE. Horns (which I did)
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.
post #20171 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Psa shouldn't even call them horns. They sound nothing like any other horn I have ever heard. Impossible to NOT like these even if you HATE. Horns (which I did)
Most people equate horns with harsh. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it was probably Klipsch that caused this widespread misnomer more than anyone. My JBL Pro Cinema speakers are all horns yet the highs can be as smooth as velvet. To look at them, you would think big, brash, in your face sound but that is the furthest from the actual truth. There are some amazing horn speakers, including some of the upper tier Klipsch, especially their cinema line. The mid tier Klipsch can be harsh and fatiguing - I still own a full set of the Klipsch RF series, so I know firsthand.
post #20172 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Horns or wave guides tend to get a bad "rep" because of two primary reasons.

First, folks tend to believe anything with some type of "horn" on the front baffle means this is a high efficiency design. This is often not the case. Some of the most popular brands using "horns" are actually low efficiency designs....mid 80s for example. The horn is simply used for controlling dispersion.

Second, I bet klipsch represents 95+% of home audio enthusiasts's experience with a HE(high efficiency) design. Comparing a high quality HE design to a klipsch speaker is like comparing a high quality ID subwoofer to a klipsch subwoofer. There will be very real differences. Everyone should try to listen to all of the above products and decide for themselves which they prefer. Our free shipping both ways promotion makes this entirely risk free..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #20173 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134 View Post
Quote:

What exactly is rattling, the sheet rock or some thing in the wall
I believe it's the sheet rock. But i also have decor in the walls, could be that too. I don't know what's harder buying the right products for your the theater or buying the right products that fit the room(wife). I can prety much buy anything I want (well I guess I'm lying to myself) as long as it looks good to the eyes of the wife. Clean , organized, and modern are the main factors in what I'm and need to pursue. Now the ideal spot would have to invole construction and alot of money. There I would do it anyway I pleased, but the negative there would be if I ever sold my house that would be a big negative for resale. For now it's the living room. I have my eye on the 3000 expresso finish. Anybody own a PSA sub in expresso they would like to share pictures???
post #20174 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 05:34 PM

My current set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1434929606214.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	788706  
jd10ac likes this.
post #20175 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My bet is the pictures on the wall are rattling.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20176 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
My current set up.
It looks good. I think dual xv15's would look great upfront.
post #20177 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
My current set up.
Since your screen is that high, I would ditch the horizontal center. Get your tweeters at the same level and get your woofers on the same vertical axis. I would also invest in room treatments and some thick area rugs the wife likes. You could spend $20k on speakers, but all of those reflective surfaces are going to wreck havoc on your sound. Treat your room, get a pair of nice subs, match the center to your current L/R, and you will be grinning ear to ear. I wouldn't buy speakers until you address those reflections.

Chris
oneeyeblind, Hopinater and Red99 like this.

Last edited by csnow; 06-21-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #20178 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 PM

Sitting here demoing gravity and severely upsetting the wife. Oh well its fathers day I get to be a little loud. This little S1500 is pressurizing an almost 2700 cubic foot room.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20179 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
My current set up.
Looks nice, but get a thick rug/carpet, put absorption on the sidewalls , some corner bass traps to get the sound from those nice speakers do them justice. That small investment ( up to 300-700$ or so, depending if you DIY vs some online options) will help more then whatever money you throw at speakers and subs.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273

Last edited by sinisanav; 06-21-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #20180 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

Considering how crooked they are (especially the top right), that seems like an accurate assessment.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20181 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Your probably right, but my wife just put them there and she was so proud of them. There going to have to be there a little longer before I say something.
post #20182 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ac View Post
Quote:
My current set up.
It looks good. I think dual xv15's would look great upfront.
Soon.......
post #20183 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Quote:
My current set up.
Since your screen is that high, I would ditch the horizontal center. Get your tweeters at the same level and get your woofers on the same vertical axis. I would also invest in room treatments and some thick area rugs the wife likes. You could spend $20k on speakers, but all of those reflective surfaces are going to wreck havoc on your sound. Treat your room, get a pair of nice subs, match the center to your current L/R, and you will be grinning ear to ear. I wouldn't buy speakers until you address those reflections.

Chris
I had to put the screen that high cause I have a 2 year old, terrible two's! This information never came across me, in terms of the placement of the tweeters. Room treatment is going to be very challenging. I need to figure out a way to incorporate the treatments into the decor. The panels seem simple, but I'm debating if I should purchase some from an online site or DIY. I have a room that is 14 x 14 x 9. Is this room big enough to handle dual subs from PSA. The black texture there wouldn't be to much of a concern, well really none. I think that this room is to small, what do you guys think? There's only a TV/PS3 and couch right now, so I can do with it as I please. The size is my only concern.

Last edited by Jaredseahawks; 06-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.
post #20184 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote:

Considering how crooked they are (especially the top right), that seems like an accurate assessment.
I won't tell my wife you said that :flushed:
post #20185 of 31527 Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I had to put the screen that high cause I have a 2 year old, terrible two's! This information never came across me, in terms of the placement of the tweeters. Room treatment is going to be very challenging. I need to figure out a way to incorporate the treatments into the decor. The panels seem simple, but I'm debating if I should purchase some from an online site or DIY. I have a room that is 14 x 14 x 9. Is this room big enough to handle dual subs from PSA. The black texture there wouldn't be to much of a concern, well really none. I think that this room is to small, what do you guys think? There's only a TV/PS3 and couch right now, so I can do with it as I please. The size is my only concern.
Check out the GIK acoustics site, they will also give you a free evaluation and recommendation on what you would need for the room, then you can choose , either make your own or buy some from them. Size is not the issue but the shape is 14x14, so you will definitely need to treat the room acoustically to get the good sound out of the system.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
post #20186 of 31527 Old 06-22-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
I would also invest in room treatments and some thick area rugs the wife likes. You could spend $20k on speakers, but all of those reflective surfaces are going to wreck havoc on your sound. Treat your room, get a pair of nice subs, match the center to your current L/R, and you will be grinning ear to ear. I wouldn't buy speakers until you address those reflections.

Chris
Yeah. I was looking at all that tile and thinking I would avoid any speaker that has a reputation for being "bright".

Your advice here is great. Treat that room or at least treat the floor with some nice area rugs and the sound quality will improve quickly.
post #20187 of 31527 Old 06-22-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

By the end of today I should have the V3600 in my possession. My hope is to get it set up and dialed in before days end but that may or may not happen. But I should be able to at least post some pics by tonight.
Toe, mnc, csnow and 3 others like this.
post #20188 of 31527 Old 06-22-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 2513
Quote:
By the end of today I should have the V3600 in my possession. My hope is to get it set up and dialed in before days end but that may or may not happen. But I should be able to at least post some pics by tonight.
Can't wait to hear your impressions. This sub is pretty unique imo in that it should have crushing bass down low similar to the Cap1400 and insane mid and upper bass output. I remember a single XS30 was pretty incredible for music output. The V3600 is going to pound your face in.
Mike Butny, csnow and Hopinater like this.
post #20189 of 31527 Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Awesome I can't wait to hear your thoughts!
I have to say adding my second XS30se has really increased the tactile "feel" in my bass! It's like having buttkickers in my sofa!
Mike Butny, jubei951 and Hopinater like this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #20190 of 31527 Old 06-22-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Awesome I can't wait to hear your thoughts!
I have to say adding my second XS30se has really increased the tactile "feel" in my bass! It's like having buttkickers in my sofa!
Run them about 4-5db hot and watch the bridge scene in Godzilla

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 06-22-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread