Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 682 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #20431 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Pacheco Vasquez View Post
dual S3000i would be great but it is out of my budget and I dont wanna spend more that 800-1000 that why my options are add a second XS15se or sell my current one and get a single s3000i.
You can see the pattern here that dual is the way to go. As Mike pointed out, if a second might be in your future, go with the bigger sealed option now. But if you are sure that there wont be any more upgrades soon, the 2nd XS15se would be a great route.

Here is the caveat to all of this and some may disagree. Until you hear it, you dont know it. That being said, if I didnt have both 2 S3000i delivered at the same time and never heard both in my room, then I would have been really happy with the single. I did test the single for 2 weeks and loved it-to the point that I really thought 2 was overkill and if I hadnt taken delivery of the 2nd I would have cancelled it. Then I added the second and found the real difference in using dual subs-now there is no going back to a single for me.

Once you hear the S3000i as a single or even the XS15se as duals you cant unhear either and both will have their advantages that differ from the other. Does this make sense?

Overall, you need to ask yourself what it is you are trying to accomplish? What is missing that you are looking for?
mnc and Mike Butny like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewj View Post
When I run Audyssey and then put out the test tone, if my fronts are at 75db the sub will read around 50db. Should that be correct?
That could be the right level for sub but you do not want to use Avr test tone to verify speaker or sub levels if that was what you were doing. Use test tone disc or REW instead. If you use spl meter with Avr test tone, the level seen on spl meter for sub when Avr playing test tone is very low (even though it is at the correct 75db level). When you calibrate with Aud, your speakers and sub levels should be correct. I found aud sets my subs about 2db lower than it should be; however.
post #20433 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
all these kickass setups make me jealous. My 2nd XV15 should be here next week and I'm stoked. Could only imagine if i had a set up like any of the guys in here. Id be replacing glass more often in my own home than work. lol
Mike Butny and oneeyeblind like this.
post #20434 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbzeluck View Post
all these kickass setups make me jealous. My 2nd XV15 should be here next week and I'm stoked. Could only imagine if i had a set up like any of the guys in here. Id be replacing glass more often in my own home than work. lol
I had dual XV15s for a little over 18 months and they were great so you should be very happy once you get the 2nd in place. They truly are a great sub. Congrats on the 2nd sub.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20435 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Hey Guys, I posted a couple of technical questions but they seemed to have gotten deleted. I'll try and remember what I asked. I have XT32 SUB EQ and all questions are for subs only, pre and post Audyssey.

1) If subs are equal distance to MLP, should I use a single sub preout and split it with a Y adapter when using REW to run sweeps? My reason for asking is that I would like to do the sub distance tweak prior to Audy to get as flat as possible and I need both independent outs to do that?

2) If subs are equal distance to MLP should I use one sub preout split to run XT32 SUB EQ?

3) If running REW should I play with phase at all when running sweeps. I have noticed when subs are not equal distance to MLP and I switch the phase on one sub I have noticed a considerable increase in dB levels with my SPL meter.

In reference to # 3 when adjusting phase and getting a flatter FR (REW) should I keep that way or will it conflict with XT32 SUB EQ when I run the ARC?

I know these are not the exact questions I asked prior, as I have short term memory lose

Thanks Guys, I have cables all over the place now as I moved my entire setup and have to re-calibrate everything. The sub crawl didn't turn out as expected, REW doesn't lie.....

Thanks Much, Jeffrey

Last edited by ahblaza; 06-27-2015 at 07:07 PM.
post #20436 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff I'm no expert but I will try and answer your questions..

Question 1: I would probably run the sub distance tweak after Audyssey because if you run it prior then Audyssey will change things anyway.

Question 2: Since you have two pre-outs Audyssey will calibrate as such. Why wouldn't you use both pre-outs? What you see as equal distance Audyssey may see as something a little different. I would let XT32 do it's thing. Otherwise why pay the extra $ for XT32?

Question 3: I would either level match or gain match my subs to 75dB or 85 dB (depending on which camp you subscribe to). Then I would adjust my phase knob on one of the subs (while running both subs) using an SPL meter at the MLP (finding where you have the best SPL while turning the phase knob). Once the phase is set I would run Audyssey. Then I would check REW and do the sub distance tweak.

If that is wrong I'm sure Alan or someone with more expertise will help and correct it.
post #20437 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Jeff I'm no expert but I will try and answer your questions..

Question 1: I would probably run the sub distance tweak after Audyssey because if you run it prior then Audyssey will change things anyway.

Question 2: Since you have two pre-outs Audyssey will calibrate as such. Why wouldn't you use both pre-outs? What you see as equal distance Audyssey may see as something a little different. I would let XT32 do it's thing. Otherwise why pay the extra $ for XT32?

Question 3: I would either level match or gain match my subs to 75dB or 85 dB (depending on which camp you subscribe to). Then I would adjust my phase knob on one of the subs (while running both subs) using an SPL meter at the MLP (finding where you have the best SPL while turning the phase knob). Once the phase is set I would run Audyssey. Then I would check REW and do the sub distance tweak.

If that is wrong I'm sure Alan or someone with more expertise will help and correct it.
Jim, every thing you said makes sense to me. This part is a little confusing:

Then I would adjust my phase knob on one of the subs (while running both subs) using an SPL meter at the MLP (finding where you have the best SPL while turning the phase knob). Once the phase is set I would run Audyssey. Then I would check REW and do the sub distance tweak.

How do I run both subs using my AVR's test tones when it only sends a pink noise signal to one output at a time, I don't know a way to measure the combined output of both subs with my SPL meter, it either sends the tone to sub 1 or sub 2 but not both unless I use one pre out (Y splitter ) for that purpose only and then connect both sub outs 1 & 2 after I'm done with that part. TIA

Cheers Jeff

PS: You're an expert in my eyes my friend.......
post #20438 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok so my dream of putting 4 v3600's in the front and 4 in the back were shot down. For some reason I thought the cubic feet would be more. Simple math isn't so simple after all.

Ok right now I have the pl-200's parked next to the stand in each end. For some reason I'm not getting the same bass from one of the subs. That sub is about 2 feet west from the end of the wall. The door is 2 feet north to the end of the sub wall ( that space is about 36 cubic feet of open space). I did switch the subs thinking it was the sub itself but got the same result. Any suggestions?
Forgot to mention that these dimensions are to my my spare room. Decided to move some gear and try it out after all the information I got in the past couple days. It's been fun!!! Room is so 15 x 13 x 9.

Last edited by Jaredseahawks; 06-27-2015 at 08:37 PM.
post #20439 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Apologize for a silly question but what is the "b-stock", i.e XS15se - B?
Is it a returned/opened-box/second-hand one?
post #20440 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Apologize for a silly question but what is the "b-stock", i.e XS15se - B?
Is it a returned/opened-box/second-hand one?
"B" stock is a returned/used item that is cosmetically and functionally perfect with the full 5 year warranty.

"C" stock units

All model numbers ending in the letter "c" are warranted for a period of 4 years from the original date of purchase. The warranty applies to the product and not the end user. If the product is transferred to another party, we ask that the new owner contact us with their information so we can update our records.
oneeyeblind and tinhvo like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #20441 of 22039 Old 06-27-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Then I would adjust my phase knob on one of the subs (while running both subs) using an SPL meter at the MLP (finding where you have the best SPL while turning the phase knob). Once the phase is set I would run Audyssey. Then I would check REW and do the sub distance tweak.

How do I run both subs using my AVR's test tones when it only sends a pink noise signal to one output at a time, I don't know a way to measure the combined output of both subs with my SPL meter, it either sends the tone to sub 1 or sub 2 but not both unless I use one pre out (Y splitter ) for that purpose only and then connect both sub outs 1 & 2 after I'm done with that part. TIA

Cheers Jeff

You do not need to use a spl meter to adjust phase, use REW. You also do not use the AVR test tones, use the tones in REW. Again REW has everything you need to accomplish the tasks at hand.
Alan P, jbrown15, ahblaza and 2 others like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #20442 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:

Cheers Jeff

What avr with xt32 are you using? It SHOULD have a testone for both subs combined. If not you should use an external tone generator like REW or spears and munsil BLU Ray
Hopinater likes this.
post #20443 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredseahawks View Post
Ok so my dream of putting 4 v3600's in the front and 4 in the back were shot down. For some reason I thought the cubic feet would be more. Simple math isn't so simple after all.

Ok right now I have the pl-200's parked next to the stand in each end. For some reason I'm not getting the same bass from one of the subs. That sub is about 2 feet west from the end of the wall. The door is 2 feet north to the end of the sub wall ( that space is about 36 cubic feet of open space). I did switch the subs thinking it was the sub itself but got the same result. Any suggestions?
Forgot to mention that these dimensions are to my my spare room. Decided to move some gear and try it out after all the information I got in the past couple days. It's been fun!!! Room is so 15 x 13 x 9.
Frequency response(what you hear) depends on where the subs are placed in the room in relation to the MLP. Subs placed in different places will sound different.
ahblaza, gbreda and Hopinater like this.
post #20444 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
You do not need to use a spl meter to adjust phase, use REW. You also do not use the AVR test tones, use the tones in REW. Again REW has everything you need to accomplish the tasks at hand.
This is a really great point. If you have REW you have everything you need.
post #20445 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Frequency response(what you hear) depends on where the subs are placed in the room in relation to the MLP. Subs placed in different places will sound different.
Dreaming of 8 3600's-you are definitely in the right place here

As bear was mentioning , that location may be in a bit of a room null. How much different is it from the other sub? I assume you are using an SPL meter only and not REW, correct?

Have you tried moving the less output sub a bit or changing phase on that one (although most likely not phase related)?
post #20446 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 2948
Quote:
Really:scream: even without a dedicated theater room? Stupid question has anybody ever experienced a broken window with all that bass? Does PSA cover those expenses:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I don't think you'll need to worry about damage barring something unusual. Once you get to a certain point of output you might notice the light bulbs in your home seem to have a much lower lifespan though..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #20447 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suspect this is mostly in jest but if you(anyone) decide(s) to order the V3600i in multiples please contact me first. The shipping rates would be significantly lower in these cases and because of that we should be able to pass on major savings.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #20448 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I suspect this is mostly in jest but if you(anyone) decide(s) to order the V3600i in multiples please contact me first. The shipping rates would be significantly lower in these cases and because of that we should be able to pass on major savings.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Anyone ordering Multiple V3600i's should have their head examined!
Mike Butny, oneeyeblind and gbreda like this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #20449 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Anyone ordering Multiple V3600i's should have their head examined!
I'd say around 20% have been duals, I know the very first order was..

Remember a lot of times it isn't about sheer output but instead a smoothing effect or even looking for decor symmetry.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #20450 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Tom, has anyone ordered quad V3600i's?
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #20451 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Four V3600i's would be pretty awesome!
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #20452 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Interesting question. I know that someone ordered 4 of the original triax...
Red99 likes this.

ShaunH
post #20453 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
What avr with xt32 are you using? It SHOULD have a testone for both subs combined. If not you should use an external tone generator like REW or spears and munsil BLU Ray
Brian, I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR1010, I see no way to output the signal (pick noise) to both subs simultaneously, only way would be to use a single sub out with a Y splitter, unless I'm missing something.
Cheers Jeff
post #20454 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
No, two has been max.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #20455 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Bass, do I just select HDMI 4 in preferences and open the SPL meter and signal generator and output a Pink Noise signal and then adjust phase on one sub and observe the SPL meter, and then take some sweeps. Is this the proper method or am I still off base here? If I'm wrong please explain the procedure. TIA

Cheers Jeffrey
post #20456 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Interesting question. I know that someone ordered 4 of the original triax...
Yeah Shaun I know the guy, he had three and I sold him mine for the fourth.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20457 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I'd say around 20% have been duals, I know the very first order was..

Remember a lot of times it isn't about sheer output but instead a smoothing effect or even looking for decor symmetry.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Very true. I know I am LOVING my dual XS30se's! Not only does the bass sound even everywhere, the impact felt from the deepest bass is absolutely Punishing!
Mike Butny and oneeyeblind like this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #20458 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah Shaun I know the guy, he had three and I sold him mine for the fourth.
LOL, I think @raynist had three or four.... as well.
ahblaza likes this.

ShaunH
post #20459 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
LOL, I think @raynist had three or four.... as well.
I bought my 4th one from Jeff!
ahblaza likes this.
post #20460 of 22039 Old 06-28-2015, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I bought my 4th one from Jeff!
OH okay my bad didn't know that.

ShaunH
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread