Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 685 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #20521 of 20536 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
I decided to try out the S3000i to see how it compares to my XS30, and ordered it today. I’d like to thank many of the people here for their input on this particular sub. A special thank you to Billy P and Nalthien for their many inputs and their willingness to test out a certain track of music for me (Billy P for his input on the XS30se vs SVS SB13-Ultra, and Nalthien for his input on the S3000i vs V1500). Whether I keep this sub or not, I think it will be an interesting 30 days.
chucky7, mnc, Mike Butny and 6 others like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 20536 Old Today, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Awesome! I'm excited to hear your impressions, dsrussell. This will be fun!

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #20523 of 20536 Old Today, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I decided to try out the S3000i to see how it compares to my XS30, and ordered it today. I’d like to thank many of the people here for their input on this particular sub. A special thank you to Billy P and Nalthien for their many inputs and their willingness to test out a certain track of music for me (Billy P for his input on the XS30se vs SVS SB13-Ultra, and Nalthien for his input on the S3000i vs V1500). Whether I keep this sub or not, I think it will be an interesting 30 days.
This should be interesting the S3000i should be ahead SPL wise and have better sound quality. I can't wait to hear your impressions.

ShaunH

Last edited by oneeyeblind; Today at 12:36 PM.
post #20524 of 20536 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Cesar and oneeyeblind: Thanks for the posts . Yes, I think it will be an interesting period of testing, although my optimism is guarded. I do think the S3000i will be an improvement both for movies and music, but I am certainly not expecting it to be a major improvement. The XS30 in my room performs better today than when I bought it almost 2 years ago. It is no slouch in the movie LFE department, but not quite what I was looking for in music.

Although this sub will be used primarily for movie LFE, I do occasionally play music CDs and SACDs and have over 2 dozen concert videos. And I test every subwoofer I use for music first and foremost. If it’s great for music, it will be great for movies. But 95 percent of the time all my music is played in another room with another sub (a 2.1 configuration). And I do NOT expect the S3000i to match the sub I use for music. I only expect it to be noticeably better than my XS30. Here's hoping .
oneeyeblind and gbreda like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
post #20525 of 20536 Old Today, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I noticed more output and improved sound when I went from a XS30 to a XS30SE. The biggest difference to my ears between these 2 models was the sound factor especially with music favoring the XS30SE. We all know the S3000i has more output than the XS30Se, I believe from 16hz to 25hz there is only 1 db difference though.
mnc, oneeyeblind and dsrussell like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; Today at 01:32 PM.
post #20526 of 20536 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134 View Post
Any dimensions?
Something like 20 wide, 23 deep and 24.5(?) tall on the last proto type. We may try one more and try to reign things in a 1/4 here and a 1/2" there without losing performance.

I'll measure the current unit before leaving work tonight.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny and oneeyeblind like this.
post #20527 of 20536 Old Today, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
This is an interesting question to me. Previously I had been running dual XV15se's. Now I'm running the V3600 and a XV15se together (the XV15se is for smoothing purposes).

I know the XV15se and the V1500 are different subs but I may be able to help with your question anyway. You got me thinking so I experimented by taking my XV15se out of the loop and just played my V3600 by itself.

I played some heavy bass demo scenes to see how much a single V3600 differed from the days when I watched the same scenes with dual XV15se's running (allow me to point out I'm very familiar with these scenes). The dual XV15se's never came close to producing the rattling and shaking in my basement that the V3600 does. Nor did they ever pressurize the room like the V3600 seems to.

I know this is not a scientific method of testing and I know the V1500 is a little more powerful than the XV15se but I don't think they are SO different that some lessons can't be be applied. And the dual XV15se's never had the output that I'm experiencing with the V3600 (even when playing by itself).

Take this for what it's worth, I know it doesn't perfectly answer your question but it might give you some kind of idea.
you know, i have been watching all your posts lately hop because just as you used to have, i currently have dual xv15se's which i very much love. of course, when the v3600 came out i couldn't contain the drooling that was occurring. i thought i was going to have to hang a bucket around my neck just to keep the floors dry. when i found out you were getting one, i was kinda excited because i couldn't wait to hear your impressions in comparing the old to the new. several posts went by and while you said you loved it, you never directly compared the two. at first i was ok with that because even though i was curious, it kept me thinking that what i have is just fine.

now i wish i hadn't read the above post. sigh......

this thread is going to be the death of me.
post #20528 of 20536 Old Today, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Cesar and oneeyeblind: Thanks for the posts . Yes, I think it will be an interesting period of testing, although my optimism is guarded. I do think the S3000i will be an improvement both for movies and music, but I am certainly not expecting it to be a major improvement. The XS30 in my room performs better today than when I bought it almost 2 years ago. It is no slouch in the movie LFE department, but not quite what I was looking for in music.

Although this sub will be used primarily for movie LFE, I do occasionally play music CDs and SACDs and have over 2 dozen concert videos. And I test every subwoofer I use for music first and foremost. If it’s great for music, it will be great for movies. But 95 percent of the time all my music is played in another room with another sub (a 2.1 configuration). And I do NOT expect the S3000i to match the sub I use for music. I only expect it to be noticeably better than my XS30. Here's hoping .
Definitely interested in your opinions here...it should be a fun month.

Now the more important and technical question-Square or Rounded grills (I'm thinking square, like your XS30)
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20529 of 20536 Old Today, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Definitely interested in your opinions here...it should be a fun month.

Now the more important and technical question-Square or Rounded grills (I'm thinking square, like your XS30)
LOL! To tell you the truth, I didn't even specify the grille. I don't know what the heck I'll be getting . Perhaps I should contact Tom and give him my preference before he ships ... duh .

post #20530 of 20536 Old Today, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL! To tell you the truth, I didn't even specify the grille. I don't know what the heck I'll be getting . Perhaps I should contact Tom and give him my preference before he ships ... duh .
I'd say 95-99% of our subwoofer orders go with the traditional grills so I think Jim just removed the curved options from the website.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and Billy p like this.
post #20531 of 20536 Old Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I'd say 95-99% of our subwoofer orders go with the traditional grills so I think Jim just removed the curved options from the website.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks, Tom. Yes, the traditional grille is more applicable (or more my style) at my age .

post #20532 of 20536 Old Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Something like 20 wide, 23 deep and 24.5(?) tall on the last proto type. We may try one more and try to reign things in a 1/4 here and a 1/2" there without losing performance.

I'll measure the current unit before leaving work tonight.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

One quick shot. Very, very busy days this week. We just had our biggest single sales day today---end of June. This is supposed be the "quiet time" for CE/ID sales. Not complaining mind you...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V18_1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	805546  
post #20533 of 20536 Old Today, 04:56 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
One quick shot. Very, very busy days this week. We just had our biggest single sales day today---end of June. This is supposed be the "quiet time" for CE/ID sales. Not complaining mind you...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sweet! Congrats on being so busy, you deserve it for sure!
BTW, what has been a bigger seller, the S3000i or V3600i?
oneeyeblind likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #20534 of 20536 Unread Today, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
It puts the subwoofers together and ships them or it gets the hose again...
oneeyeblind and oshia86 like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #20535 of 20536 Unread Today, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
you know, i have been watching all your posts lately hop because just as you used to have, i currently have dual xv15se's which i very much love. of course, when the v3600 came out i couldn't contain the drooling that was occurring. i thought i was going to have to hang a bucket around my neck just to keep the floors dry. when i found out you were getting one, i was kinda excited because i couldn't wait to hear your impressions in comparing the old to the new. several posts went by and while you said you loved it, you never directly compared the two. at first i was ok with that because even though i was curious, it kept me thinking that what i have is just fine.

now i wish i hadn't read the above post. sigh......

this thread is going to be the death of me.
Ooops… Sorry. But I know what you mean about this thread.

I'm liking the looks of that V1800! Ahhh….I need help!
post #20536 of 20536 Unread Today, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Wow...that room some much more accommodating for demos...what you guys do the the behemoth that occupied that entire corner...lol. I don't suppose somebody fitted that thing in the back of their SUV and drove off...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page