Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 688 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22496Likes

Old 07-03-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The V1800 out sell the V3600, no way!! if I recall some questioned my opinion (Fatty )on adding a V1800 to the lineup. Looks like Basshead might have a clue after all.
Hey, I'm glad to be wrong.

You can't deny the entertainment value of that conversation though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
By far, I am no expert among some here, but I got great dual response using the delay on the ICE amp and ARC quick measure feature. After that I verified with REW. Then I ran ARC eq and verified again with REW.

Not many here have Anthem, but that quick measure is so helpful as it keeps sending a sweep every 5 seconds or so giving you instant/real time results to delay adjustments. Its really nice to have your laptop right next to you when making these adjustments-no one else required to read an SPL meter. Its also equally helpful for sub/speaker placement.

I wonder if this type of feature could be added to REW?
So you used the delay on the ICE amp to time align your two subs? Sounds like it went very successful for you. Any before and after REW graphs of the delay adjustment. This would save buying a miniDSP.

I agree the quick measure in the Anthem ARC is very easy to use and see as you move your sub. You can still do it with REW but you must run the test each time you move your sub.
ahblaza and gbreda like this.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4389
Hello? Is anybody out there?

Okay, It's Friday night on a holiday weekend and I was going to post my new graphs with the changes I made getting my subs better time aligned. But what's the point. There's nobody here. I'm all alone in the PSA sub thread. How sad.

But more importantly… I hope you all have a great 4th of July, be safe and have a great time.

That goes for you and Jim as well Tom. Take a day off and relax, have a beer….it's on me.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
So you used the delay on the ICE amp to time align your two subs? Sounds like it went very successful for you. Any before and after REW graphs of the delay adjustment. This would save buying a miniDSP.

I agree the quick measure in the Anthem ARC is very easy to use and see as you move your sub. You can still do it with REW but you must run the test each time you move your sub.

Dear Frank:

...my sub will be in your hands tomorrow... If you haven't seen Nikko's basements HT...you'll be like whoa...dude...he has a lot of nice stuff and big ideas pending...good luck tomorrow + have a blast...you guys are going to rock his place & likely the entire neighborhood...
ahblaza likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Towers: STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18: (Santos RW)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 07-03-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Wash it HOT Jeff and dry it hotter...it might shrink.
I did Jim and it didn't work, I guess the grown and picked cotton in the USA doesn't shrink, I even dried it on high heat.....
I'm back from vacation! Keep those jokes coming...At the end I was right and you were wrong. But very funny Don't know when basshead said v1800 would sell more then the v3600 that's a no brainier. Cheaper for a single and the advantage of having duals. And there's not many companies that offer 18's subs and surely PSA can take advantage of this area.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Hello? Is anybody out there?

Okay, It's Friday night on a holiday weekend and I was going to post my new graphs with the changes I made getting my subs better time aligned. But what's the point. There's nobody here. I'm all alone in the PSA sub thread. How sad.

But more importantly… I hope you all have a great 4th of July, be safe and have a great time.

That goes for you and Jim as well Tom. Take a day off and relax, have a beer….it's on me.
Hop, take time to enjoy the V3600, I was really digging the dual S3000i at 11PM while watching American Sniper. While no huge bass monster movie, the entire PSA front stage/sub system sounded fantastic.

Happy 4th to all !! Good luck having Tom take time off, as much as he really should.

But I can hear his response now-V3600's and the outlet shipped a boatload of subs. Someone might be trying to dial in their new subs and show it off for the 4th so I need to be here for any help.....
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

No before nor non ARC measurements were saved, but here is after with ARC on dual S3000i only-no mains or center.

As much as the delay helped, so did room size-but that was more to help smooth response and greatly lessen a 35-50 hz dip. Frankly, I cannot remember which one helped more with the 2 subs alone im regards to alignment. Using distance in the Anthem setup and a slight change on delay on 1 sub took care of the 80hz crossover dip after ARC when the mains were factored in.

The boots below 15hz is likely from room gain or possibly even from the Room Size adjustments? I havnt tried anything to resolve that as time is short lately and the system sounds great the way it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.30.15 Duals only.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	811610  
mnc and Hopinater like this.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is a very nice looking graph there gbreda. I wouldn't even worry about that peak at the low end I would just enjoy what you have. That's a graph I would love to achieve.
mnc and ggsantafe like this.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hola guys,
Question: I ran the calibration through my receiver but it doesn't recognize the second sub, any idea what's going on? Av receiver is the Yamaha 2020. I hear the sub, not as loud as the other one but I hear some bass coming out.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is a very nice looking graph there gbreda. I wouldn't even worry about that peak at the low end I would just enjoy what you have. That's a graph I would love to achieve.
Thanks Hop, and yeah I really dont want to mess with it. It took alot of tweaking to get it where it is. At one point, I realized that I was reaching in and changing gain instead of delay-the knobs are in a tight area and not easily visible- I wasnt careful enough. Dammit!!!
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1n3t1k View Post
Resuming our scheduled programming, take a look at my graph below. (no smoothing applied, I cross at 120Hz) The Manual EQ - Base is my baseline and is using my manual tailored adjustments with the Yamaha PEQ options. Not too shabby! However, YPAO/Flat is complete horse poop. There was a massive spike at 42Hz and I was able to tinker and copy the Flat into the Manual PEQ and get that output.

The next one is my Anti-Mode 8033S-II and that really fixed up the output nicely. It did wonders for me from 50-80Hz and definitely changed the sound. A lot. I don't think it was strictly phase-related, but perhaps a room mode issue. Either way, I really like the Anti-Mode a lot - and yeah, this one measurement was before I disabled the subsonic filter. It's off now, thank you Tom for your help with that, too! I'd assume my output below 20Hz should be closer to my base measurement. Tonight, I don't really give a damn because I'm just enjoying this thing too much!

The last one is with the single S3000i - in the same spot as my 'corner-loaded' sub. (technically, it's 7" from the rear wall and 27" from the side wall) There's no EQ on the sub. YPAO, again, did nothing to really EQ by default. (the filters it does use are at 250Hz and another at 125Hz with 0dB...so yeah) This will be my last Yamaha receiver. (for reference, I have an RX-A3040)
QUOTE]
I like the looks of what the Antimode seems to have potential to do. When you get a chance change the "limits" in REW so your graph will read in 5 dB increments instead of 10. It will be easier to get an idea of the smoothness of your response.

Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting to see what antimode can do.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Thanks Hop, and yeah I really dont want to mess with it. It took alot of tweaking to get it where it is. At one point, I realized that I was reaching in and changing gain instead of delay-the knobs are in a tight area and not easily visible- I wasnt careful enough. Dammit!!!
I did something similar. I reached down to turn on one of my subs (had it off to check something or other) and reached too far and hit the gain knob and my finger moved the gain. So I had to level match them again and re-run Audyssey just to be on the safe side. Such a pain.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5210
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Hey, I'm glad to be wrong.

You can't deny the entertainment value of that conversation though.

Yes it was a good one.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 07-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did something similar. I reached down to turn on one of my subs (had it off to check something or other) and reached too far and hit the gain knob and my finger moved the gain. So I had to level match them again and re-run Audyssey just to be on the safe side. Such a pain.
I actually didnt realize I had turned the gain until I ran REW with each sub on its own and saw that the right side was much lower than the left. And yes, I started the whole process again from scratch to be sure. The end result was worth it though.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1n3t1k View Post
Resuming our scheduled programming....

The next one is my Anti-Mode 8033S-II and that really fixed up the output nicely. It did wonders for me from 50-80Hz and definitely changed the sound. A lot. I don't think it was strictly phase-related, but perhaps a room mode issue. Either way, I really like the Anti-Mode a lot - and yeah, this one measurement was before I disabled the subsonic filter. It's off now, thank you Tom for your help with that, too! I'd assume my output below 20Hz should be closer to my base measurement. Tonight, I don't really give a damn because I'm just enjoying this thing too much!
[quote=Hopinater;35521618]
Quote:

I like the looks of what the Antimode seems to have potential to do.

Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting to see what antimode can do.
So, I finally had time to play in my HT, tinker a bit and compare different options antimode can do. Actually 20-100 Hz range Antimode alone did better then when I applied Audyssey to it, still tweaking that around, if you are interested to follow that discussion check out the 'Simplified REW and Setup..." thread.

Here, I just want to show what Anti-Mode 8033S-II can do.
Graph shows Antimode with flat response vs bypassed Antimode, so raw room response.

In attached link to my mdat file I have measurements that you can compare at your leisure of all the modes possible bypass,flat, lift25,lift35,lift 20-30, filter only.

I can say I really like antimode, it does good job, it is simple to use, really well designed plug and play EQ option for people who do not have inclination to tinker and tweak but would like to enjoy good sound.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbp0hbqmwe...ions.mdat?dl=0

Happy Fourth all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fantimode flat vs bypass.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	811794  

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
Old 07-04-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay I've been playing around a lot with REW the last three days and I have got a better response with my two subs than I had earlier. I'll take any comments anyone cares to offer. the problem is I seem to be getting a dip right around the crossover.

However, I think I found a better position for my 2nd sub (nearfield) where I can get a flatter response but to keep it there I need a longer sub cable so I'll be ordering that today.

In the mean time I'll post a graph showing the dual XV15se's (purple) vs a XV15se running with a V3600 (blue). Subs are in the same position in both setups.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dual XV15 vs. XV15 and V3600.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	811842  
Old 07-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredseahawks View Post
Hola guys,
Question: I ran the calibration through my receiver but it doesn't recognize the second sub, any idea what's going on? Av receiver is the Yamaha 2020. I hear the sub, not as loud as the other one but I hear some bass coming out.
Anyone? Is there anything I can do? Any tips?
Old 07-04-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Hop, You gain quite a bit from 40 and below (plus that extra extension) which explains your recent great experience with the 3600/XV15 combo. Having extension and enough output down to 15, 16hz is HUGE. If your xover is at 80, it is quite ugly there. The good thing is if you measure center and subs, your center might help lifting that region up and along with subs distance tweak, I think you will be better (lot better) around your xover point. Remember, we don't listen just to the subs rather the whole system and if your center with subs and/or main with subs are reasonable flat, you are golden. Enjoy.
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Last edited by tvuong; 07-04-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Jared, What are your results post calibration? Are you sure that your speakers are set to small and the you have 2 subs chosen? Also you can try calibrating one sub hooked up, and then the other, as this may help eliminate cable issues? Not being familiar with that sub or YPAO(I believe) it is a 7.2?
What about a splitter from your sub input. Did you hear both subs equally before calibration? Sorry for the questions, but a little more detail about what you have done may help us out. I have never run YPAO, but will help in anyway I can.
Hopinater likes this.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
[QUOTE=Hopinater;35524226]Okay I've been playing around a lot with REW the last three days and I have got a better response with my two subs than I had earlier. I'll take any comments anyone cares to offer. the problem is I seem to be getting a dip right around the crossover. /QUOTE]

I had same issue with dip when I had crossover at 80 HZ, since I moved it to 100 Hz that has made a big change on 85-95 range.
Hopinater and Red99 like this.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Quote:
Jared, What are your results post calibration? Are you sure that your speakers are set to small and the you have 2 subs chosen? Also you can try calibrating one sub hooked up, and then the other, as this may help eliminate cable issues? Not being familiar with that sub or YPAO(I believe) it is a 7.2?
What about a splitter from your sub input. Did you hear both subs equally before calibration? Sorry for the questions, but a little more detail about what you have done may help us out. I have never run YPAO, but will help in anyway I can.
The reviewer has 2 sub outs. Both subs are connected to each sub out in receiver. When it calibrates it only shows 1 sub. The second sub doesn't come up in the screen. I can hear it, but probably 40% maybe less compared to the other sub. I have not tried a y splitter. Ive gone into settings to see if I need to enable the second sub, but can't find anything.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
The reviewer has 2 sub outs.
Actually there is "one" sub (processed internally) that's split so you can easily connect two subs. No different than an external splitter. As suggested above I would connect one at a time and adjust their volumes to 3db less than the other speakers. Once their volumes have been matched connect both and run YPAO.

There are a couple of sub settings which you can find on page 116...

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 07-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Hop, You gain quite a bit from 40 and below (plus that extra extension) which explains your recent great experience with the 3600/XV15 combo. Having extension and enough output down to 15, 16hz is HUGE. If your xover is at 80, it is quite ugly there. The good thing is if you measure center and subs, your center might help lifting that region up and along with subs distance tweak, I think you will be better (lot better) around your xover point. Remember, we don't listen just to the subs rather the whole system and if your center with subs and/or main with subs are reasonable flat, you are golden. Enjoy.
Thanks Tvuong. Yep...There are still some issues I need to resolve around that darn crossover but before I dive too deeply into it I want to try the 2nd sub nearfield. I just need a longer cable.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Thanks Tvuong. Yep...There are still some issues I need to resolve around that darn crossover but before I dive too deeply into it I want to try the 2nd sub nearfield. I just need a longer cable.
Jim I knew you would end up putting that XV15se near field, it has to compete with that refrigerator looking black beast, you should actually put a cushion on the 15 and use it for your MLP

I know you'll get that response around the XO taken care of, just like Tony said measure with your center and L+R speakers and see what happens.......

Cheers Jeff
Hopinater likes this.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Jim I knew you would end up putting that XV15se near field, it has to compete with that refrigerator looking black beast, you should actually put a cushion on the 15 and use it for your MLP

I know you'll get that response around the XO taken care of, just like Tony said measure with your center and L+R speakers and see what happens.......

Cheers Jeff
LOL….That made me laugh. But it's not a bad idea.

PSA should come out with some custom fitted seat cushions specially made for such circumstances.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 579
to heck with the cushions, how about PSA just make a xv72s which is a sofa that has 4 18s built into it? let's just cut to the quick here guys.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I though I would let you guys know I should have an interesting comparison in next week or so. I have a friend who was going to by my S1500 but he backed out and decided to go with the SVS PC2000 instead. I think it will be fun to compare the two in room and I somehow have a feeling he will be shipping the SVS back and asking to buy the S1500 again after he hears them in the room together. I have always found the cylinders interesting and look forward to actually hearing one. I have to admit I am a little bummed he didn't pick up the S1500 because I was looking forward to getting a V1500.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ac View Post
I though I would let you guys know I should have an interesting comparison in next week or so. I have a friend who was going to by my S1500 but he backed out and decided to go with the SVS PC2000 instead. I think it will be fun to compare the two in room and I somehow have a feeling he will be shipping the SVS back and asking to buy the S1500 again after he hears them in the room together. I have always found the cylinders interesting and look forward to actually hearing one. I have to admit I am a little bummed he didn't pick up the S1500 because I was looking forward to getting a V1500.
That's going to be a difficult comparison. The S1500 is meant for someone looking for good performance in a small form factor. The pc-2000 are much larger and ported. If he is mainly interested in movies at louder levels...the PC is really the way to go. A much better comparison would be the pc2000 and our XV15se or V1500.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
That's going to be a difficult comparison. The S1500 is meant for someone looking for good performance in a small form factor. The pc-2000 are much larger and ported. If he is mainly interested in movies at louder levels...the PC is really the way to go. A much better comparison would be the pc2000 and our XV15se or V1500.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I agree and the size factor is why he was originally going with the S1500. If i remember correctly this sub is going in a roughly 12x14 bedroom. I don't think he fully understands just how big the cylinders are.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Just a heads-up. We've run into a few instances of problems with the newer Yammy receivers and our products. The subwoofer output(s) seem to have unpredictable performance at times. In one instance the customer had to do a full AVR 'reset' which temporarily solved the issues. But within a few days more and more problems began popping up and he ended up having to ship it back to the factory.

Please keep up undated Jared, we'll figure it out.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15