Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 690 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #20671 of 20695 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredseahawks View Post
Anyone? Is there anything I can do? Any tips?
Jared, What are your results post calibration? Are you sure that your speakers are set to small and the you have 2 subs chosen? Also you can try calibrating one sub hooked up, and then the other, as this may help eliminate cable issues? Not being familiar with that sub or YPAO(I believe) it is a 7.2?
What about a splitter from your sub input. Did you hear both subs equally before calibration? Sorry for the questions, but a little more detail about what you have done may help us out. I have never run YPAO, but will help in anyway I can.
Hopinater likes this.

Marantz SR7008, Emotiva XPA5,Dual PSA XV15SE's
PS3 Phat, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-370,Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CSiA6,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's,Polk 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U,Optoma HD25-LV,Belkin PureAV Home Theater Console
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20672 of 20695 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 68
[QUOTE=Hopinater;35524226]Okay I've been playing around a lot with REW the last three days and I have got a better response with my two subs than I had earlier. I'll take any comments anyone cares to offer. the problem is I seem to be getting a dip right around the crossover. /QUOTE]

I had same issue with dip when I had crossover at 80 HZ, since I moved it to 100 Hz that has made a big change on 85-95 range.
Hopinater and Red99 like this.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
post #20673 of 20695 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Quote:
Anyone? Is there anything I can do? Any tips?
Jared, What are your results post calibration? Are you sure that your speakers are set to small and the you have 2 subs chosen? Also you can try calibrating one sub hooked up, and then the other, as this may help eliminate cable issues? Not being familiar with that sub or YPAO(I believe) it is a 7.2?
What about a splitter from your sub input. Did you hear both subs equally before calibration? Sorry for the questions, but a little more detail about what you have done may help us out. I have never run YPAO, but will help in anyway I can.
The reviewer has 2 sub outs. Both subs are connected to each sub out in receiver. When it calibrates it only shows 1 sub. The second sub doesn't come up in the screen. I can hear it, but probably 40% maybe less compared to the other sub. I have not tried a y splitter. Ive gone into settings to see if I need to enable the second sub, but can't find anything.
post #20674 of 20695 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
The reviewer has 2 sub outs.
Actually there is "one" sub (processed internally) that's split so you can easily connect two subs. No different than an external splitter. As suggested above I would connect one at a time and adjust their volumes to 3db less than the other speakers. Once their volumes have been matched connect both and run YPAO.

There are a couple of sub settings which you can find on page 116...

Last edited by Charles R; Yesterday at 12:03 PM.
post #20675 of 20695 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Hop, You gain quite a bit from 40 and below (plus that extra extension) which explains your recent great experience with the 3600/XV15 combo. Having extension and enough output down to 15, 16hz is HUGE. If your xover is at 80, it is quite ugly there. The good thing is if you measure center and subs, your center might help lifting that region up and along with subs distance tweak, I think you will be better (lot better) around your xover point. Remember, we don't listen just to the subs rather the whole system and if your center with subs and/or main with subs are reasonable flat, you are golden. Enjoy.
Thanks Tvuong. Yep...There are still some issues I need to resolve around that darn crossover but before I dive too deeply into it I want to try the 2nd sub nearfield. I just need a longer cable.
post #20676 of 20695 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Thanks Tvuong. Yep...There are still some issues I need to resolve around that darn crossover but before I dive too deeply into it I want to try the 2nd sub nearfield. I just need a longer cable.
Jim I knew you would end up putting that XV15se near field, it has to compete with that refrigerator looking black beast, you should actually put a cushion on the 15 and use it for your MLP

I know you'll get that response around the XO taken care of, just like Tony said measure with your center and L+R speakers and see what happens.......

Cheers Jeff
Hopinater likes this.
post #20677 of 20695 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Jim I knew you would end up putting that XV15se near field, it has to compete with that refrigerator looking black beast, you should actually put a cushion on the 15 and use it for your MLP

I know you'll get that response around the XO taken care of, just like Tony said measure with your center and L+R speakers and see what happens.......

Cheers Jeff
LOL….That made me laugh. But it's not a bad idea.

PSA should come out with some custom fitted seat cushions specially made for such circumstances.
ahblaza likes this.
post #20678 of 20695 Old Today, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 209
to heck with the cushions, how about PSA just make a xv72s which is a sofa that has 4 18s built into it? let's just cut to the quick here guys.
ahblaza likes this.
post #20679 of 20695 Old Today, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I though I would let you guys know I should have an interesting comparison in next week or so. I have a friend who was going to by my S1500 but he backed out and decided to go with the SVS PC2000 instead. I think it will be fun to compare the two in room and I somehow have a feeling he will be shipping the SVS back and asking to buy the S1500 again after he hears them in the room together. I have always found the cylinders interesting and look forward to actually hearing one. I have to admit I am a little bummed he didn't pick up the S1500 because I was looking forward to getting a V1500.
post #20680 of 20695 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ac View Post
I though I would let you guys know I should have an interesting comparison in next week or so. I have a friend who was going to by my S1500 but he backed out and decided to go with the SVS PC2000 instead. I think it will be fun to compare the two in room and I somehow have a feeling he will be shipping the SVS back and asking to buy the S1500 again after he hears them in the room together. I have always found the cylinders interesting and look forward to actually hearing one. I have to admit I am a little bummed he didn't pick up the S1500 because I was looking forward to getting a V1500.
That's going to be a difficult comparison. The S1500 is meant for someone looking for good performance in a small form factor. The pc-2000 are much larger and ported. If he is mainly interested in movies at louder levels...the PC is really the way to go. A much better comparison would be the pc2000 and our XV15se or V1500.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #20681 of 20695 Old Today, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
That's going to be a difficult comparison. The S1500 is meant for someone looking for good performance in a small form factor. The pc-2000 are much larger and ported. If he is mainly interested in movies at louder levels...the PC is really the way to go. A much better comparison would be the pc2000 and our XV15se or V1500.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I agree and the size factor is why he was originally going with the S1500. If i remember correctly this sub is going in a roughly 12x14 bedroom. I don't think he fully understands just how big the cylinders are.
post #20682 of 20695 Old Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just a heads-up. We've run into a few instances of problems with the newer Yammy receivers and our products. The subwoofer output(s) seem to have unpredictable performance at times. In one instance the customer had to do a full AVR 'reset' which temporarily solved the issues. But within a few days more and more problems began popping up and he ended up having to ship it back to the factory.

Please keep up undated Jared, we'll figure it out.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #20683 of 20695 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Okay I've been playing around a lot with REW the last three days and I have got a better response with my two subs than I had earlier. I'll take any comments anyone cares to offer. the problem is I seem to be getting a dip right around the crossover.

However, I think I found a better position for my 2nd sub (nearfield) where I can get a flatter response but to keep it there I need a longer sub cable so I'll be ordering that today.

In the mean time I'll post a graph showing the dual XV15se's (purple) vs a XV15se running with a V3600 (blue). Subs are in the same position in both setups.
I would start by only using the main sub(V3600i) and getting that dialed in relative to the rest of the speakers. Optimize that and then add the XV15se later. Can you get a shot of the L, C, R speakers individually and then the C+V3600 together?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #20684 of 20695 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, do you know if there are any charts out there for the output of the PC2000, my guess was from 30hz on up the S1500 would walk away from it in output.
post #20685 of 20695 Old Today, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tom, do you know if there are any charts out there for the output of the PC2000, my guess was from 30hz on up the S1500 would walk away from it in output.

I think it would be closer. The 12" peerless driver is a nice combination of excursion and efficiency. And the enclosure is so much large that will also be a factor. For music, yes, the S1500 should have a 3-4dB edge in the 50-100 range for example. 30-50hz would be close. <30hz the pc2000 gains the 3-4dB edge(all best guesses).

With sub demos, we often just grab a few of the popular bass demos---War of the Worlds, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, WW-Z, etc. Whoever rattles the windows the most wins.. Even with our most powerful subs like the V3600i I try to convince folks to include their favorite music/concert discs in the demo material. At the least, use more than 10 seconds of a movie....play the entire film to get a better representation of the overall product performance.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
mnc, oneeyeblind, ahblaza and 3 others like this.
post #20686 of 20695 Old Today, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the repy Tom. We generally do watch most movies all the way through. I just spoke with him on the phone and he is already second guessing his purchase and it hasn't even shipped yet. He is wondering if he shouldn't have just got an XS30 and been done with it.
ahblaza likes this.
post #20687 of 20695 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the repy Tom. We generally do watch most movies all the way through. I just spoke with him on the phone and he is already second guessing his purchase and it hasn't even shipped yet. He is wondering if he shouldn't have just got an XS30 and been done with it.
Any reason why he's going ported there and only considering sealed from us?

How large is his room and are there any large openings to other areas of the home?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20688 of 20695 Old Today, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Any reason why he's going ported there and only considering sealed from us?

How large is his room and are there any large openings to other areas of the home?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
His room is roughly 1200 cubic feet sealed off to the other rooms. As for the sealed vs the ported I pointed out that for the price the SB2000 wasnt as good of a value as the xs15se or the S1500. I honestly believe the only reason he went SVS at all was to try it out and have something different from my setup.
ahblaza and Red99 like this.
post #20689 of 20695 Old Today, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
His room is roughly 1200 cubic feet sealed off to the other rooms. As for the sealed vs the ported I pointed out that for the price the SB2000 wasnt as good of a value as the xs15se or the S1500. I honestly believe the only reason he went SVS at all was to try it out and have something different from my setup.
1200 cu-ft and sealed would = sealed sub for most listening preferences. Any of our sealed models would extend into single digits for him. It is just a matter of how much headroom he needs for his most demanding listening levels.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #20690 of 20695 Old Today, 12:11 PM

Quote:
1200 cu-ft and sealed would = sealed sub for most listening preferences. Any of our sealed models would extend into single digits for him. It is just a matter of how much headroom he needs for his most demanding listening levels.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I think right now its just a little friendly competition to out do my current setup. I may just have to order up a V1800 and end the competition in one swift swipe of the credit card
ahblaza and gbreda like this.
post #20691 of 20695 Old Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think right now its just a little friendly competition to out do my current setup. I may just have to order up a V1800 and end the competition in one swift swipe of the credit card

Even so, he should be thinking sealed. He'd get much deeper extension and audibly better SQ as well imo. But, as mentioned, this often turns in a "who rattles the window more with War of the Worlds" scenario anyway. Keep us posted. curious as to what he thinks of the pc2000 in such a small room.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #20692 of 20695 Old Today, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
With sub demos, we often just grab a few of the popular bass demos---War of the Worlds, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, WW-Z, etc. Whoever rattles the windows the most wins.. Even with our most powerful subs like the V3600i I try to convince folks to include their favorite music/concert discs in the demo material. At the least, use more than 10 seconds of a movie....play the entire film to get a better representation of the overall product performance.
I'm trying to come up with a way to compare a few subs right now. I have a 10" powered and 12" passive in my fronts (happy with them) and shortly I'll have a sub in each corner of the screen wall. What I plan on doing is playing one of the stand alone subs and then telling the receiver I don't have a sub and setting the fronts to large. That might not be as good as using the LFE input on the fronts but I have compared using both (fronts set to large and (small using LFE)) in the past and never noticed a difference. It will save me a few cables swaps especially if I want to compare multiple times.

This way I should be able to compare them fairly quickly. Once I have done this with one sub I'll disconnect it and connect the other and calibrate. Then do another comparison. I'm just "fighting" with what I should use for test material. I know I could simply turn one sub up a few decibels and it would be the winner.
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; Today at 03:25 PM.
post #20693 of 20695 Old Today, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Quote:
Just a heads-up. We've run into a few instances of problems with the newer Yammy receivers and our products. The subwoofer output(s) seem to have unpredictable performance at times. In one instance the customer had to do a full AVR 'reset' which temporarily solved the issues. But within a few days more and more problems began popping up and he ended up having to ship it back to the factory.

Please keep up undated Jared, we'll figure it out.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
After messing with settings and everything else it was the RCA cable. I think! Well, i plugged in the other RCA cable from the other sub and it worked fine after that. Thanks for all your help! Im getting better bass now it scares me now to buy dual PSA subs!
post #20694 of 20695 Old Today, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That really surprises me with the Yamaha receivers as they've had a really good track record with problems or failures, I don't care for their RC software, but other than that I thought they were pretty good. Thanks Tom for the heads up.

@Hop , I'll have the misses sew you up a nice cushion, what's your a** size?...

Cheers Jeff
post #20695 of 20695 Old Today, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Getting Old.....

Hey guys, I was looking in the mirror today and thought to myself wow where did all the years go, getting old. I found these old photos today and it made me laugh and cry at the same time. I thought I would show all my friends here what I look like and the progression of my aging from young to now....Don't be too hard on me.........

First is High School
Second is 25 years old
The others with PSA T shirt on at age 63........

I like putting faces to names.....

Cheers Jeffrey

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ME HIGH SCHOOL.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	814466   Click image for larger version

Name:	LONG HAIR.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	814474   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT T SHIRT.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	814482   Click image for larger version

Name:	BACK T SHIRT.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	814514  
oneeyeblind and Billy p like this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page