Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 691 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13741Likes

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 3369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredseahawks View Post
Silly question:
How does the Rythmik f25 compare to the monster PSA v3600?
It doesn't...not a apples to apples comparison.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Quote:
Silly question:
How does the Rythmik f25 compare to the monster PSA v3600?
It doesn't...not a apples to apples comparison.
Hummmmmm...Excuse my ignorance, but can you give me your opinion on both. I'm new to the HT universe would the extra $750 give me that much porformance ? After reading thread after thread for PSA, SVS, Rythmik, and HSU. I have narrowed it down to 3 companies and 3 subs.

Duals:
1. PSA 3000 American cherry
2. HSU VTF 15 MK rosenut
3. Rythmik f25 black oak

Subs will either go into a 1800 cubic ft space or 7000 cubic ft space. Maybe I should wait for the v1800??? Finish is a big factor. Size not so much. I would consider the v3600 but the only finish option is black texture and the wife didn't approve. You guys know how that is
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 3369
You should wait until you figure out which room the subs are going in. 1800^3 I would go for the 3000i. In a 7000^3 room I would go for the V3600i.

Your wife needs to see the finish in person...it really does not look any different then black oak from a distance. Sure up close it is different but how often will you spend looking at the subs up close?

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Hummmmmm...Excuse my ignorance, but can you give me your opinion on both. I'm new to the HT universe would the extra $750 give me that much porformance ? After reading thread after thread for PSA, SVS, Rythmik, and HSU. I have narrowed it down to 3 companies and 3 subs.

Duals:
2. HSU VTF 15 MK rosenut
3. Rythmik f25 black oak

Subs will either go into a 1800 cubic ft space or 7000 cubic ft space. Maybe I should wait for the v1800??? Finish is a big factor. Size not so much. I would consider the v3600 but the only finish option is black texture and the wife didn't approve. You guys know how that is
I would stick with a sealed sub, XS30SE or S3000I for the 1800 cubic ft room but if you decide on using the 7000 cubic ft room then go with the ported/ vented options, dual v1800 or V3600 ( if finish options meet your needs ).
ahblaza likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Duals:
2. HSU VTF 15 MK rosenut
3. Rythmik f25 black oak

Hey Jared,

I think you should first decide on what room you want to 'bass-ify'. Those are two VASTLY different listening spaces and what may be suitable for one could be insufficient for the other. As Tom wrote in an earlier post:

Quote:
With our products you want to prioritize things like this...

1) The first priority should always your headroom requirements.

It doesn't matter if you have extension to 5hz and stellar sound quality potential...if the sub(s) will regularly be pushed to their absolute limits.

2)Once it is clear you'll have ample headroom, then you should go for extension.

So let's use a generic 2500 cu-ft room(more or less closed off from the rest of the home). End user enjoys the bass to be 3-5dB "hot", and is looking for headroom for say....-10dB master volume levels.

You'll be around 112-115dB.

So don't prioritize the extension of a single XS30se over the output of say a V1500/V1800 if the system will be fed a steady diet of action oriented movies.

On the OTHER hand. If we're looking at DUALs for this room. I'd swing back to two XS30se. You'll have plenty of headroom, deeper extension, and potentially an edge in sound quality as well.
Jared, I have only dealt with one of the aforementioned companies in your list. However, after listening to my S3000i and dealing with Tom off and on for about a year now, I wouldn't even need to think about the others. I believe he'd even send you a fully-finished wood sample if you so desired! There is a lot to be said about the peace-of-mind that is offered when dealing with PSA. I have no doubts or hesitations; I know that if I don't like something, I can return it quickly and easily.

Before I bought my subs, I also considered the F25. I love the look of dual forward-facing drivers - they are so menacing and daunting to look at, but with the launch of the V3600i, go big or go home, right?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Okay I've been playing around a lot with REW the last three days and I have got a better response with my two subs than I had earlier. I'll take any comments anyone cares to offer. the problem is I seem to be getting a dip right around the crossover.

However, I think I found a better position for my 2nd sub (nearfield) where I can get a flatter response but to keep it there I need a longer sub cable so I'll be ordering that today.

In the mean time I'll post a graph showing the dual XV15se's (purple) vs a XV15se running with a V3600 (blue). Subs are in the same position in both setups.

Have you tried the sub distance tweak Hop??
Hopinater likes this.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Hey...guys here is a picture of the xs30se, SubM & RA 218...this should give you some perspective....

I have to wait and see if a new thread is started....going by some of the feedback I received the SubM is the real deal and my sub seemed to lack some of the tactile presence but upon further inspection back home I saw the gain was set at the noon position and I had it set at the 2-3pm position...this could explain some of why my sub seemed to lack some of the SPL to fill that GTG room. Keep in mind our room have about the same amount of cubic air space to fill but the SubM would have been the pick of the day for music and the 218 dominated both for ULF....not surprised going by its size and what it was meant to accomplish.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150704_150902_3_[1].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	815746  

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig

Last edited by Billy p; 07-06-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added quick note...:)
Old 07-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Hey...guys here is a picture of the xs30se, SubM & RA 218...this should give you some perspective....

That is a much nicer picture than my cell phone one in the Reaction thread. I have to admit that the finish on the XS30se really was beautiful, if we did a wife test i'm sure the XS30se would win by miles!
Mike Butny and Billy p like this.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
That is a much nicer picture than my cell phone one in the Reaction thread. I have to admit that the finish on the XS30se really was beautiful, if we did a wife test i'm sure the XS30se would win by miles!

Nikko sent it to me...for me to post it in the RA thread...but you beat to to the punch...lol.

I wonder who belonged to those feet....
Magibeg likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Nikko sent it to me...for me to post it in the RA thread...but you beat to to the punch...lol.

I wonder who belonged to those feet....
Haha yea I think that might be Nikko's feet?

We really need to get on posting about listening impressions though. Unfortunately I wasn't around to hear the XS30se but I did get to hear my SubM against the Gamma 218.
Billy p and ahblaza like this.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Finish is a big factor. Size not so much. I would consider the v3600 but the only finish option is black texture and the wife didn't approve. You guys know how that is
If you dress up your sub with a table runner then I am sure your wife would approve.
Mike Butny likes this.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:

Duals:
2. HSU VTF 15 MK rosenut
3. Rythmik f25 black oak

Nope I don't know how it is. My wife loves the finish!! I would do the s3000i in the smaller room and I would do 2 s3000i's in the bigger room. I have always had ported subs and now I went sealed with the s3000i and it just sounds so much better and it has better control then a ported sub. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436202744.836790.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	815794
Edit: The pictures on the PSA site do not do the finish justice. It looks a lot better in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Butny likes this.

SAMSUNG UN607150- OPPO BDP 103D- PSA MT-110 L/R -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR7008 -APPLE TV -MONSTER POWER HTS2600MK -DIRECTV GENIE -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY 50'S L/R- ENERGY RC LCR- 2X SVS SB12 NSD- PIONEER VSX 521- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE

Last edited by tang7969; 07-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
Quote:

Duals:
2. HSU VTF 15 MK rosenut
3. Rythmik f25 black oak

Nope I don't know how it is. My wife loves the finish!! I would do the s3000i in the smaller room and I would do 2 s3000i's in the bigger room. I have always had ported subs and now I went sealed with the s3000i and it just sounds so much better and it has better control then a ported sub. [iurl="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=815794&d=1436202745"][/iurl]
Edit: The pictures on the PSA site do not do the finish justice. It looks a lot better in person.

I like it! I would do the 30 trial, but i know she is going to bitch about the finish. That's why I don't consider the 1500's. Your a lucky man!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Talking Just bought the XS15se

Guys, i finally ordered my XS15se. As usual Tom helped me on deciding wich one was better for my needs. Now i can't wait to get it !!!!!! I am so happy
Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I like it! I would do the 30 trial, but i know she is going to bitch about the finish. That's why I don't consider the 1500's. Your a lucky man!
My wife didn't like the house that we bought last year when she saw the pictures. When I convinced her that we really need to see it in person she loved it!!! Have one one shipped to you with no obligation. Tom and Jim make it easy to ship back. Sorry I'll stop now but you have no idea how good these subs really are!!
gbreda and Hopinater like this.

SAMSUNG UN607150- OPPO BDP 103D- PSA MT-110 L/R -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR7008 -APPLE TV -MONSTER POWER HTS2600MK -DIRECTV GENIE -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY 50'S L/R- ENERGY RC LCR- 2X SVS SB12 NSD- PIONEER VSX 521- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
After messing with settings and everything else it was the RCA cable. I think! Well, i plugged in the other RCA cable from the other sub and it worked fine after that. Thanks for all your help! Im getting better bass now it scares me now to buy dual PSA subs!
Glad you are getting more out of your system! I went with Dual PSA's and I am never looking back! You won't be let down, as Tom and company provide an awesome product, but their customer service is second to none!
gbreda likes this.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My wife didn't like the house that we bought last year when she saw the pictures. When I convinced her that we really need to see it in person she loved it!!! Have one one shipped to you with no obligation. Tom and Jim make it easy to ship back. Sorry I'll stop now but you have no idea how good these subs really are!!
With shipping costs right now, I don't know if I want to do that to Tom. The wife has to have decorative sense. That's why my 3 choices had veneer options. I agree with you, but I have to live with her. Happy wife happy life! Let's talk about price vs performance.
PSA 3000- $3400 shipped
HSU vtf15 mk- $2250 shipped
Rythmik f25- $3300 shipped
Might be off a little on all. I know they are all different subs and are not apples to apples, which makes decision even harder. I know the v1800 will probably change my options if it comes with veneer finish.

Tom,
Is the v1800 going to have different finishes?
sk373 likes this.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Quote:
After messing with settings and everything else it was the RCA cable. I think! Well, i plugged in the other RCA cable from the other sub and it worked fine after that. Thanks for all your help! Im getting better bass now it scares me now to buy dual PSA subs!
Glad you are getting more out of your system! I went with Dual PSA's and I am never looking back! You won't be let down, as Tom and company provide an awesome product, but their customer service is second to none!
With the 2 working now, I watched WWZ and shook my house. I can only imagine what dual PSA subs are going to do. Scary! my expectations would be tight, clean , loud and gets me off me seat kind of bass, right?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

I have to wait and see if a new thread is started....going by some of the feedback I received the SubM is the real deal and my sub seemed to lack some of the tactile presence but upon further inspection back home I saw the gain was set at the noon position and I had it set at the 2-3pm position...this could explain some of why my sub seemed to lack some of the SPL to fill that GTG room. Keep in mind our room have about the same amount of cubic air space to fill but the SubM would have been the pick of the day for music and the 218 dominated both for ULF....not surprised going by its size and what it was meant to accomplish.

Hi Bill, the XS30SE gain was actually set at 3pm before I moved it back to 12pm. All subs were level matched using a Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter from Cross Spectrum Labs before and after each sub demos.
As soon as we ran the test tone when level matching the SubMersive, we knew right away we were in for a treat. The 40hz+ had so much depth and control. This was very evident playing the shootout scene in "Open Range" and the video drum track David had -- the kick drum chest slam is unforgettable.

The Reaction Gamma218 on the other hand was a ULF output monster, playing "Bass I Love You" constantly shook the front row with 4 seats and it was vibrating the concrete floor under our feet. The grenade scene in WWZ shook the wooden blinds 30' away in my basement, along with shaking my sons toys 25' away. lol.

I may not be the person to provide feedback on the XS30se's performance as we only ran 1 set of demos... and I sat behind the "money" row. I just have to add the SubMersive had plenty of impact and the Gamma218 had lots of tactile feel in where I sat when I heard the XS30se. We'll just wait for the 4 guys to give their feedback on it when they post on the impressions thread.
jbrown15, Billy p and Magibeg like this.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

@nikko ....the 3pm setting sounds about right then...looking forward to impressions thread...

Thank you for clearing that up & helping me carry the sub back to my SUV...

I know, a sub is not a sub if you can carry it.... {That might make for a decent sig...}

Last edited by Billy p; 07-06-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 3436
Hi all,

Just loaded up another half dozen V3600i subs today. All the tracking info is out.

I know we have 15-20 XS15/XS15se orders backed up too. The enclosure shipment for these should be here before the end of the week with any luck. Thanks for everyone's patience!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 3436
Quick shot,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trains.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	816450  
Old 07-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
I
With the 2 working now, I watched WWZ and shook my house. I can only imagine what dual PSA subs are going to do. Scary! my expectations would be tight, clean , loud and gets me off me seat kind of bass, right?
I have the duals stacked behind my couch and the girls love to feel them in the couch. But my experience is only to the dual XV15SEs, I cannot comment on some of the sealed subs, but I am sure that a few others that have gone from ported to sealed can chime in. You will be in for a shock for sure, as I came from two polk 505s, and then I learned that there is so much more to get from a excellent sub like PSA!
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, I was looking in the mirror today and thought to myself wow where did all the years go, getting old. I found these old photos today and it made me laugh and cry at the same time. I thought I would show all my friends here what I look like and the progression of my aging from young to now....Don't be too hard on me.........

First is High School
Second is 25 years old
The others with PSA T shirt on at age 63........

I like putting faces to names.....

Cheers Jeffrey
Jeff, IMO you are aging quite well. You have a ton of hair and you still look a lot like the 25 yr old man from yesteryear. Must be the constant shaking from the subwoofers…it keeps knocking the years off you.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Have you tried the sub distance tweak Hop??
Hi Alan. No not yet... I was going to try that today but time ran away from me and tomorrow may not work either.

The nice thing is I know I'll get it figured out soon because I have you guys as well as Tom and Jim as resources to help me out.

By the way... to anyone reading and wondering about PSA's commitment to customer service. I called Tom this morning and then emailed him my REW graphs and he and Jim are going to look them over and get back to me with some suggestions. They're pretty busy guys but they always have time to help us out.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
You should wait until you figure out which room the subs are going in. 1800^3 I would go for the 3000i. In a 7000^3 room I would go for the V3600i.

Your wife needs to see the finish in person...it really does not look any different then black oak from a distance. Sure up close it is different but how often will you spend looking at the subs up close?
^^^ This sums it up perfectly.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope I don't know how it is. My wife loves the finish!! I would do the s3000i in the smaller room and I would do 2 s3000i's in the bigger room. I have always had ported subs and now I went sealed with the s3000i and it just sounds so much better and it has better control then a ported sub. Attachment 815794

Tang, I'm just curious, were your ported subs high quality subs like PSA (or one of the other well know ID sub makers)? Or were they lesser subs?

I just ask because if they were lesser subs that may be why you found the sealed sub's sound quality so much better (I imagine you mean cleaner, tighter, more refined, musical etc).

I say this because from my experience the PSA ported subs have been tight, clean and clear with excellent sound quality. Great for music and movies.

So if your ported subs were of higher quality then I would say it's a fair comparison and it's obvious you definitely like the sound of sealed over ported. If your ported subs were something like a Polk or a Klipsch then I would say you might be surprised at the sound quality of a high quality ported sub.

But either way all that really matters is that you love the sound of your subs.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Tang, I'm just curious, were your ported subs high quality subs like PSA (or one of the other well know ID sub makers)? Or were they lesser subs?

I just ask because if they were lesser subs that may be why you found the sealed sub's sound quality so much better (I imagine you mean cleaner, tighter, more refined, musical etc).

I say this because from my experience the PSA ported subs have been tight, clean and clear with excellent sound quality. Great for music and movies.

So if your ported subs were of higher quality then I would say it's a fair comparison and it's obvious you definitely like the sound of sealed over ported. If your ported subs were something like a Polk or a Klipsch then I would say you might be surprised at the sound quality of a high quality ported sub.

But either way all that really matters is that you love the sound of your subs.
Hop,I had a XV15se and just traded it in. Before that I was using SVS subs. I think I have tried about 5 subs in less then 2 years (3 SVS,2 PSA) I just always thought I wanted that huge output for movies which I still love but the s3000i has plenty for movies and for music it is just stunning!! Very quick and tight. When I went out to PSA to exchange my sub I ended up picking up a couple of 110's and combined with my s3000i it is an absolutely amazing combination! I am listening to a lot more music now.
mnc, Mike Butny, ahblaza and 2 others like this.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
wow.. Thanks for sharing jeff..

I am surprised at ur bass crazinesssss and the bug for upgrades all the time say it was woofers from PSA before and now even speakers hehe

you had this passion since your were may be say 20's or 30's...
You're right Cyborg, I have been involved with audio most of my life, I had my first rack system at 17, so that's over 40 years ago and still kicking..... I need directions to that fountain of youth. Here's a picture when I started listening to music my Father was playing.....

Here's the misses too, I may as well include the whole Family

Cheers Jeffrey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo young me.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	816938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas 2012 Jeff and I.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	816946  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hop,I had a XV15se and just traded it in. Before that I was using SVS subs. I think I have tried about 5 subs in less then 2 years (3 SVS,2 PSA) I just always thought I wanted that huge output for movies which I still love but the s3000i has plenty for movies and for music it is just stunning!! Very quick and tight. When I went out to PSA to exchange my sub I ended up picking up a couple of 110's and combined with my s3000i it is an absolutely amazing combination! I am listening to a lot more music now.
Well that certainly answers my question. Thanks for that input. Yeah picking up the 110s must have been incredible when you combined them with the S3000i. Great setup.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver