Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 693 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #20761 of 20767 Old Today, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Billy, what sub is that?

Hey...Hop....it's a custom build sub variant of a funkywaves fw12x. The original used the TC sounds LMS-R...the driver in the picture is an AE av12x...the LMS likely dug a bit deeper...the 12x had a slight advantaged in the igher pass bands...IIRC.

The biggest difference between the 2 drivers was the inductance levels on the LMS made it much harder to drive due to the lower sensitivity ratings...the 12x efficiency aloowed it to be driven real loud with ~500watts...the LMS needed a at least 2-3 times that to reach the same levels...I wanted a simple to use on board amp + sub and not have deal with external amplification and REQ...I have that same approach to this day...I like things simple.

Btw...it was only a 12" sub that was kinda the norm back in the day...lol.
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20762 of 20767 Old Today, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
excellent advice hop......IF tom and jim quit coming out with newer and better stuff all the time. it's almost like buying a computer....as soon as you get it the newer better model is out, lol.

Damn straight!!

All we need to do is cut the cord to the internet....yeah, right
post #20763 of 20767 Old Today, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Hey...Hop....it's a custom build sub variant of a funkywaves fw12x. The original used the TC sounds LMS-R...the driver in the picture is an AE av12x...the LMS likely dug a bit deeper...the 12x had a slight advantaged in the igher pass bands...IIRC.

The biggest difference between the 2 drivers was the inductance levels on the LMS made it much harder to drive due to the lower sensitivity ratings...the 12x efficiency aloowed it to be driven real loud with ~500watts...the LMS needed a at least 2-3 times that to reach the same levels...I wanted a simple to use on board amp + sub and not have deal with external amplification and REQ...I have that same approach to this day...I like things simple.

Btw...it was only a 12" sub that was kinda the norm back in the day...lol.
Isn't that the truth. Heck just 20 months ago I was seriously considering a SVS 12" sub thinking that it was big. But I opted for a PSA 15" sub instead because it was HUGE. Now I feel like a 15" sub is standard and the 18" subs are big.

Makes you wonder what our posts will look like in 2 years. We may find ourselves talking about owning dual V4800's for HT and using our "small" S3000's to add some "light" bass to our computer speakers.
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by Hopinater; Today at 07:11 PM.
post #20764 of 20767 Old Today, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Sitting here watching ice age continental drift 3d with my son. And all I can think is damn I have an awesome sounding setup!!!
While I'm not there to hear it Brian I'm confident that I have a pretty good idea of what it sounds like and I'm even more confident it sounds incredible.
post #20765 of 20767 Old Today, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Isn't that the truth. Heck just 20 months ago I was seriously considering a SVS 12" sub thinking that it was big. But I opted for a PSA 15" sub instead because it was HUGE. Now I feel like a 15" sub is standard and the 18" subs are big.

Makes you wonder what our posts will look like in 2 years. We may find ourselves talking about owning dual V4800's for HT and using our "small" S3000's to add some "light" bass to our computer speakers.
To be honest that is not the case for me. I have owned the same subs for over 2yrs now and am happy with them. 15" subs still seem large and so is the sound that comes out of them(I had 15's in my truck back in the day too). I feel that many times folks blame the sub when in reality it is the room or setup that is the problem. I have spent a ton of time dialing in my subs and the rewards were worth it...I still smile when I let the triple XV's legs stretch. Does a V3600I sound cool, hell yes, but I see no reason to upgrade because what I have is reference capable down into the 16-18hz range.

I believe that one should purchase a sub system that will net reference levels cleanly down into the 16hz range. Anything more then that is just plain overkill, which there is nothing wrong with that btw. Point is, if more folks had this mentality when purchasing subs the first time, there would be a lot less upgrading going on. Some rooms need big 18" subs to hit reference levels down into the teens, where other rooms can do it with a pair of 12's. So yes it is nice to see these monster subs coming out so those with 5000^3 + rooms can experience what I do in a room half the size.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #20766 of 20767 Old Today, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Another thing to consider with going with a bigger subwoofers and bigger / higher efficiency speakers (considering PSA offers both) is that you're not fighting physics and you need less tricks to try and overcome driver size or system performance.

And even more importantly sound quality doesn't need to be sacrificed to get the SPL required.
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.

ShaunH
post #20767 of 20767 Old Today, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Well, based on your earlier comments it sounds like WAF is priority #1 . You should probably show her the comparison pictures in this thread/our website so she'll have a good idea of size and finish quality. No sense consider a big black mini fridge if there's no way she'll go for anything larger than a S3000i. I'll include a few more shots of our veneers if you haven't visited our facebook page.

In terms of "fit and finish" quality----I suggest looking over the threads here at AVS for pictures of each product. And not pictures from 10ft away a little out of focus... You'll bump into a variety of pictures and comments. Judge for yourself.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Logging on every morning hoping for a picture of a certain S3000 in natural cherry veneer on this thread!

The wait time...its killing me!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page