Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 709 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20292Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
@JD1 0, download the guide after you click on it as it's a PDF and put it on your desktop for easy reference, I would advice that you read a lot of it before trying to take measurements as most people don't and then ask questions that are already in the guide. Then don't hesitate to ask here.

Cheers Jeffrey
jd10ac likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,413
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Yep…some day one of those will be in my house. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but someday.
oneeyeblind and jd10ac like this.
Hopinater is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Daytona Beach Fl.
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Yep…some day one of those will be in my house. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but someday.
The week of August 7th perhaps.
oneeyeblind likes this.
jd10ac is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Thanks. I will make a mockup of cardboard based on the specs and see what I have
I did the same thing and found the Triax fit nicely. It's not as visually imposing as I was afraid It might be. Quite the opposite.....with the wood veneer finish it looks great in our living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	836842  
oneeyeblind, gbreda and Hopinater like this.

Last edited by Saturn94; 07-18-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Member
 
thoma226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The v18 looks great!!!
Comparing the 3000i to the new "V18" , I would assume the 3000i goes deeper because it's sealed. Does the v1800 have greater bass output between tuning and say 40hz or so? Does the 3000i sound more articulate? ...hopefully Tom can chime in...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thoma226 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I did the same thing and found the Triax fit nicely. It's not as visually imposing as I was afraid It might be. Quite the opposite.....with the wood veneer finish it looks great in our living room.
It also looks like the pedestal for your... ooops, your wife's... plants...
chucky7 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
It also looks like the pedestal for your... ooops, your wife's... plants...
Nothing that might damage the finish is allowed on it.

No wife, btw.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I did the same thing and found the Triax fit nicely. It's not as visually imposing as I was afraid It might be. Quite the opposite.....with the wood veneer finish it looks great in our living room.
Funny how they become less imposing as a few days pass and you hear what they sound like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Nothing that might damage the finish is allowed on it.

No wife, btw.
No wife here either, but the g/f is here often enough and definitely has better taste than I do in decor. She was adamant on black only when selling the idea of 2 large subs up front-no veneer- which has a very durable finish for putting anything on these subs.
gbreda is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Funny how they become less imposing as a few days pass and you hear what they sound like


No wife here either, but the g/f is here often enough and definitely has better taste than I do in decor. She was adamant on black only when selling the idea of 2 large subs up front-no veneer- which has a very durable finish for putting anything on these subs.
Exactly. It doesn't take long before it just looks normal in the room.

In our case I'm the one with better taste in decor and is more picky about it.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 10,181
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4760
Saturn, nice to see you around again!! Sounds like the Triax has been treating you well!

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
basshead81 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Saturn, nice to see you around again!! Sounds like the Triax has been treating you well!
Thanks.

Yeah, it's been a rough year or so.......I've been mostly lurking in the shadows (I'll send you a PM). And yes, I'm still thrilled with my Triax.

You may remember I started out considering the V15 (do I have that model number right?), but came into some unexpected cash and decided to blow the budget and go for PSA's biggest, baddest sub, the Triax (still a pre order item at that time), with the thought it would squash any future sub upgraditis. It worked!
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
k1n3t1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Saturn94,

Do you have 'just one' Triax? How is the bass response in your room? Is it even between all seats? What do you crossover at? The T-18 still is in the back of my mind, but I know I could never have two and still continue having peaceful neighbors. Even one may be pushing the envelope, but I just like the look of huge drivers!

That said, I was also wondering what you use to mediate the auto on/off functionality? If I'm mot mistaken, I think that is the same amp in the T-18 that has only an on and off switch? I know there's a few ways other have recommended, but I was curious what you find works best. Also, does it ever create the power on "boom" sound with the method you use?

Sorry for all the questions. And that veneer looks great - excellent choice!

Travis
k1n3t1k is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I did the same thing and found the Triax fit nicely. It's not as visually imposing as I was afraid It might be. Quite the opposite.....with the wood veneer finish it looks great in our living room.
Hey my friend, good to hear from again as well, I think you and I had the first two or three Triaxs off the line, mine was Cordovan. Looks really nice in your place. Looks very tidy in there for a single man, completely opposite of me, the misses takes care of all that though. I just keep my part of the house (AV room) nice and sloppy so she never comes in, just shakes her head. Any way don't be a stranger, nice to have you back.

Cheers Jeffrey
oneeyeblind likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1n3t1k View Post
Saturn94,

Do you have 'just one' Triax? How is the bass response in your room? Is it even between all seats? What do you crossover at? The T-18 still is in the back of my mind, but I know I could never have two and still continue having peaceful neighbors. Even one may be pushing the envelope, but I just like the look of huge drivers!

That said, I was also wondering what you use to mediate the auto on/off functionality? If I'm mot mistaken, I think that is the same amp in the T-18 that has only an on and off switch? I know there's a few ways other have recommended, but I was curious what you find works best. Also, does it ever create the power on "boom" sound with the method you use?

Sorry for all the questions. And that veneer looks great - excellent choice!

Travis
Yep, just one Triax. Room volume is about 5500ft3 total. No problem with the questions....

1. Bass response: pretty good at my main listening position. Tom agrees my reasponse is good.....others here, not so much..lol..If you want a graph, I'll be happy to PM it to you, just let me know. Last time I posted it publicly, chaos insued. Response across all seats in the room is not even, but that was never my goal since it's usually just one or two of us listening. Multiple subs would be needed if you want even coverage. Oh, and in my room/setup one Triax has more than enough power to make it feel like the room is about to blow apart when called for!

2. Crossover: 120hz. And no, localization is not an issue most of the time. Sometimes if the bass is real intense, there's a sense it's coming from that side of the room, but not obviously localized (I hope that made sense).

3. I use this remote trigger plug connected to my pre/pro (Anthem AVM20) to control on/off on the sub;

http://www.xantech.com/controls/controllersswitches/controllersswitchers/AC1/

It works very well. There is no "boom" or "thump" when powering on (I do hear the relay click). There is a "thump" heard when powering off. This is not related to the remote trigger plug, it's the sub itself. Tom confirmed this is normal and harmless. I understand in later shipments the sub amp was tweaked to eliminate this.

I love the wood veneer finish (Corovan Cherry). The standard finish is way too utilitarian for my tastes, especially since it's so visible in my living room.

I'm still thrilled with the performance of my Triax and still have no desire to replace it.
k1n3t1k likes this.

Last edited by Saturn94; 07-19-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey my friend, good to hear from again as well, I think you and I had the first two or three Triaxs off the line, mine was Cordovan. Looks really nice in your place. Looks very tidy in there for a single man, completely opposite of me, the misses takes care of all that though. I just keep my part of the house (AV room) nice and sloppy so she never comes in, just shakes her head. Any way don't be a stranger, nice to have you back.

Cheers Jeffrey
Thanks.

It's good to be getting back into the loop. It's been a rough year or so, but things are looking up.

Btw, I'm married (29 years), just not to a woman. And yes, I like a tidy house.
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and gbreda like this.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FattyMcButterPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Yep, just one Triax. Room volume is about 5500ft3 total. No problem with the questions....

1. Bass response: pretty good at my main listening position. Tom agrees my reasponse is good.....others here, not so much..lol..If you want a graph, I'll be happy to PM it to you, just let me know. Last time I posted it publicly, chaos insued.
This part about the graph made me laugh. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a graph that looked decent enough (not perfect) and then everyone fights over it and/or makes the OP go crazy trying to perfect it.

Glad to hear the Triax is still curing upgraditis, it doesn't appear as though many subs are capable of this around AVS these days.
FattyMcButterPants is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
This part about the graph made me laugh. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a graph that looked decent enough (not perfect) and then everyone fights over it and/or makes the OP go crazy trying to perfect it.

Glad to hear the Triax is still curing upgraditis, it doesn't appear as though many subs are capable of this around AVS these days.
True dat!!!
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Thanks.

It's good to be getting back into the loop. It's been a rough year or so, but things are looking up.

Btw, I'm married (29 years), just not to a woman. And yes, I like a tidy house.
I hope all is well now, I had a really tough year myself, I took care of my Mother until she passed away from the insidious disease of Alzheimer's. Staying connected on these forums allowed me to keep my sanity. Congrats on 29 years of marital bliss, I've also been married about 30 years, just not to the same person...3 different ones to be exact

I think the sub you were talking about was the XV15 back then, since the Triax I've been through about 11 different PSA subs, there's been a lot going on with PSA since you've been gone. I have PSA speakers as well. Talk again soon.

Cheers Jeffrey
gbreda likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I hope all is well now, I had a really tough year myself, I took care of my Mother until she passed away from the insidious disease of Alzheimer's. Staying connected on these forums allowed me to keep my sanity. Congrats on 29 years of marital bliss, I've also been married about 30 years, just not to the same person...3 different ones to be exact

I think the sub you were talking about was the XV15 back then, since the Triax I've been through about 11 different PSA subs, there's been a lot going on with PSA since you've been gone. I have PSA speakers as well. Talk again soon.

Cheers Jeffrey
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My bad year included the passing of my father. The rest was work related. But like I said, things are looking up and I expect the next year to be much better.

11 subs? Wow, you've been busy!

I've read great things about the PSA speakers. Too ugly for me though...lol. I also see PSA has been busy with new sub models as well.

So what do you have currently?
oneeyeblind and audiofan1 like this.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My bad year included the passing of my father. The rest was work related. But like I said, things are looking up and I expect the next year to be much better.

11 subs? Wow, you've been busy!

I've read great things about the PSA speakers. Too ugly for me though...lol. I also see PSA has been busy with new sub models as well.

So what do you have currently?
Likewise with your Father, I'm now taking care of my Father, he's 86 years old with Dementia, so it's not getting any easier. Good thing though, I'm retired and can manage all facets of my time and life and still enjoy this hobby. Looks are deceiving as the speakers are a diamond in the rough....

Right now I have dual XS30SEs soon to be replaced with V1800i's, Tom and Jim won't give me a break, they just keep coming out with more and more. The only sub I've never had in my home prior to the ICE subs was the XV30, so now I'm starting on the ICE subs...

Cheers Jeffrey
ahblaza is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Likewise with your Father, I'm now taking care of my Father, he's 86 years old with Dementia, so it's not getting any easier. Good thing though, I'm retired and can manage all facets of my time and life and still enjoy this hobby. Looks are deceiving as the speakers are a diamond in the rough....

Right now I have dual XS30SEs soon to be replaced with V1800i's, Tom and Jim won't give me a break, they just keep coming out with more and more. The only sub I've never had in my home prior to the ICE subs was the XV30, so now I'm starting on the ICE subs...

Cheers Jeffrey
You do have a lot on your plate. I'm glad you don't have to deal with work drama on top of everything else.

I know what your saying about looks, but I just can't get past it. I have to admit cosmetics has an impact on my enjoyment. That said, I would like to hear PSA speakers one day.

I look forward to your impressions of the new V1800i when you get it.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
oneeyeblind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My bad year included the passing of my father. The rest was work related. But like I said, things are looking up and I expect the next year to be much better.

11 subs? Wow, you've been busy!

I've read great things about the PSA speakers. Too ugly for me though...lol. I also see PSA has been busy with new sub models as well.

So what do you have currently?
Tom, has mentioned their working on bringing the veneer options to the speaker line as well more of the subwoofers.
mnc and ahblaza like this.

ShaunH

Last edited by oneeyeblind; 07-19-2015 at 08:38 PM.
oneeyeblind is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Tom has mentioned their working on bringing the veneer options to the speaker line as well
This could be dangerous to my wallet (which is suffering due to a recent pay cut ).

It would be interesting to see how they compare to my current Soundfield Audio M1's.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
oneeyeblind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
This could be dangerous to my wallet (which is suffering due to a recent pay cut ).

It would be interesting to see how they compare to my current Soundfield Audio M1's.
And they would match your triax so well.

Also Tom has mentioned they are also working on bringing the veneer options to more of the subwoofers as well. No word on if the T-18 will bring back the veneer options. But it seems weird not to offer it since they did offer it on the original Triax.

ShaunH
oneeyeblind is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
And they would match your triax so well.

Also Tom has mentioned they are also working on bringing the veneer options to more of the subwoofers as well. No word on if the T-18 will bring back the veneer options. But it seems weird not to offer it since they did offer it on the original Triax.
You're not helping.


I'm glad I ordered my Triax when I did. Not only did I get the pre order price, but the wood veneer option only added $200. I remember sometime after they started production the wood veneer wood cost jumped up dramatically, to about $700 I believe.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Saturn94 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 PM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,302
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Likewise with your Father, I'm now taking care of my Father, he's 86 years old with Dementia, so it's not getting any easier. Good thing though, I'm retired and can manage all facets of my time and life and still enjoy this hobby. Looks are deceiving as the speakers are a diamond in the rough....

Right now I have dual XS30SEs soon to be replaced with V1800i's, Tom and Jim won't give me a break, they just keep coming out with more and more. The only sub I've never had in my home prior to the ICE subs was the XV30, so now I'm starting on the ICE subs...

Cheers Jeffrey
Say what?!

Did tom tel you what you could expect going from the xs30's to the v1800's?
oneeyeblind likes this.
Brian Fineberg is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 10,181
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Say what?!

Did tom tel you what you could expect going from the xs30's to the v1800's?
Significantly more output in the 16-30hz, pretty close in the upper bass, but less extension.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
basshead81 is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 06:00 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,302
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Ok. So last night I was able to "open" the throttle up a bit as the wife was working. So I took out my three bluray reference bass discs.

In a 1300 cube sealed room 2 xs30 and 1 xs30se are OMG! I've never felt pressure in my ears before from bass (I have while watching in this room but not to the extent of last night since I never watch at the levels I did last night).

Pulse was like my head was going to pop off
WotW is the bass king by far
TIH every footstep was a punch in the a$$ and chest
And the most fun impressive one I will use for demo hands down (even though not super low content) is darla tap scene from nemo Felt like the walls I spent 2 months building were going to fall down

Now I know there are tons of new subs coming out with 18" drivers. And yes I want some in my room badly. But it cannot in no way be better than I have currently. I am -2db at 8hz and -5db at 6hz. So the extension and output is there. There was no struggle from any of the three subs.

I know this may seem superfluous but I wanted to point out that just r cause the newest greatest is coming out doesn't all of a sudden make your current setup lacking or bad all of a sudden.

(This was all after finishing Harry Potter deathly hallows prt 2. Which the sound is phenomenal and the ending music have me chills. That's when you KNOW things are sounding good)

I will continue to watch all of you with envy and joy, but I am holding firm that my room is the best it ever has been and the best it may ever will be. And the bet part is I don't have to pony up any more money.

It's a good time to be in the HT hobby
Brian Fineberg is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 4,854
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Ok. So last night I was able to "open" the throttle up a bit as the wife was working. So I took out my three bluray reference bass discs.

In a 1300 cube sealed room 2 xs30 and 1 xs30se are OMG! I've never felt pressure in my ears before from bass (I have while watching in this room but not to the extent of last night since I never watch at the levels I did last night).

Pulse was like my head was going to pop off
WotW is the bass king by far
TIH every footstep was a punch in the a$$ and chest
And the most fun impressive one I will use for demo hands down (even though not super low content) is darla tap scene from nemo Felt like the walls I spent 2 months building were going to fall down

Now I know there are tons of new subs coming out with 18" drivers. And yes I want some in my room badly. But it cannot in no way be better than I have currently. I am -2db at 8hz and -5db at 6hz. So the extension and output is there. There was no struggle from any of the three subs.

I know this may seem superfluous but I wanted to point out that just r cause the newest greatest is coming out doesn't all of a sudden make your current setup lacking or bad all of a sudden.

(This was all after finishing Harry Potter deathly hallows prt 2. Which the sound is phenomenal and the ending music have me chills. That's when you KNOW things are sounding good)

I will continue to watch all of you with envy and joy, but I am holding firm that my room is the best it ever has been and the best it may ever will be. And the bet part is I don't have to pony up any more money.

It's a good time to be in the HT hobby
Just remember, its about having the output and extension that you desire, which is more important than having any particular brand or model of sub. You have all the output and extension you desire, so changing subs would likely not do anything for you. You probably have better bass than many with more capable or larger subs.

I've been dying to "stretch the legs" on my new subs but have not been able to do so lately
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

Last edited by bear123; 07-20-2015 at 08:12 AM.
bear123 is online now  
Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member
 
mnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Ok. So last night I was able to "open" the throttle up a bit as the wife was working. So I took out my three bluray reference bass discs.

In a 1300 cube sealed room 2 xs30 and 1 xs30se are OMG! I've never felt pressure in my ears before from bass (I have while watching in this room but not to the extent of last night since I never watch at the levels I did last night).

Pulse was like my head was going to pop off
WotW is the bass king by far
TIH every footstep was a punch in the a$$ and chest
And the most fun impressive one I will use for demo hands down (even though not super low content) is darla tap scene from nemo Felt like the walls I spent 2 months building were going to fall down

Now I know there are tons of new subs coming out with 18" drivers. And yes I want some in my room badly. But it cannot in no way be better than I have currently. I am -2db at 8hz and -5db at 6hz. So the extension and output is there. There was no struggle from any of the three subs.

I know this may seem superfluous but I wanted to point out that just r cause the newest greatest is coming out doesn't all of a sudden make your current setup lacking or bad all of a sudden.

(This was all after finishing Harry Potter deathly hallows prt 2. Which the sound is phenomenal and the ending music have me chills. That's when you KNOW things are sounding good)

I will continue to watch all of you with envy and joy, but I am holding firm that my room is the best it ever has been and the best it may ever will be. And the bet part is I don't have to pony up any more money.

It's a good time to be in the HT hobby
Awesome! I have my dual XS30se's in an open living room with vaulted ceilings so I'm lacking that "pressurize" feeling. Instead of wanting to try different subs, I plan on finishing my basement and moving everything down there. Probably cheaper!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
mnc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off