Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 715 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22509Likes

Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Thanks Jim, I'll see if Amazon has it, I may as well get both so I'll know that I got the right one.
No need to get both! The one you want is The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. Arguably still the best bass film ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
No need to get both! The one you want is The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. Arguably still the best bass film ever.
On the way home.......with Ed Norton and the honeymooners......... Just ordered from Amazon, be here Wednesday....
Toe and Hopinater like this.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Quote:
On the way home.......with Ed Norton and the honeymooners......... Just ordered from Amazon, be here Wednesday....
Wow, I am surprised that you don't have The Incredible Hulk. It is LOUD and DEEP.

If you have seen Godzilla, Pacific Rim, or Interstellar, you would know they are loud but not much going on below 30 Hz.

I would say it is on the similar level with War of the Worlds.
ahblaza likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM703 / LSiM706c / RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400

Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 4390
Quote:
Buckle up!
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1n3t1k View Post
This last weekend, my friends and I did exactly that - A/B switching with single and then dual S3000i and then added the V3600i in the mix. Two of us much preferred the sealed sound as it was more revealing to both music and movies in terms of detail. Assuming your source is sufficient (we were using 24/48+ FLAC audio files for this demo) , there was a pretty distinct sound difference between the V3600i and the S3000i. Another friend enjoyed the V3600i so much, I wish I had it on video! It was absolutely hilarious to see his reaction. Among many "French" words and about a thousand "OMG!" spoken to verbalize his jubilation, I haven't seen a face like that since kids opening presents on Christmas morning. He may need to buy my other friend need a new couch...

My third friend really enjoyed the 'laid back' response of the V3600i. He termed it as "mellow, relaxed, but still extremely musical and responsive when it needed to be". He says the S3000i was, "too detailed - almost too revealing and critical making it exhaustive to listen to for longer sessions." We kind of both agreed that it was the similar sense in how fatiguing I find Klipsch horns to be, but in this case, the subwoofer. As they say, different strokes for different folks!

It just goes to show that everyone likes different sound. No matter how much we like something, it just may not be the best fit for everyone else. That said, I'm really happy to be a part of the PSA experience and hearing their product line first-hand.

Travis
Wonder if you did blind A/B switching with properly Room EQed subs would you hear a difference, most threads I have read showed most people can't tell the difference to properly set up subs.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
This thread has been quiet lately so I thought I would take this lull in the action to post a quick update on the V3600i now that I have had it for about 4 weeks or so and have had time to really listen to it after getting it dialed in.

Last night I watched Elysium. I haven't seen it in a while but I remembered it had some good bass. It's not a 5 star bass movie by any means but watching it with a V3600 in the mix took the movie to a whole new level of intensity. When you do watch a 5 star bass flick such as the Incredible Hulk you get your a$$ handed to you by the sheer output of V3600. It's pretty spectacular to behold. As a side note… I think some of my ribs may have been broken in the viewing of the Hulk.

So all in all, my first impression of the V3600 continues to be confirmed. It simply pressurizes a room, engulfing you in bass. Sometimes it feels like you are swimming in a sea of Low Frequency Effects… and that's a good thing.

I've also been spending a little more time listening to music. I've been paying closer attention to how it does since some of you guys have mentioned that you prefer sealed subs for music. This really got me thinking so I decided to pay closer attention. And again, I still maintain what I originally reported, the V3600 does a great job with critical music listening.

However, I'm not trying to say that those of you who prefer sealed subs for music are wrong, I'm just noting that PSA ported subs do a fine job with music. Perhaps if I had a S3000i sitting next to the V3600i and switched back and forth between them I would notice a slight difference in SQ but I can't do that so I have no way of knowing. But I do know that in my room the bass from the V3600 is very tight and clean and does justice to the music I listen to.

I didn't expect things to change after the rush of receiving the new sub wore off but it's still worth noting that my early infatuation with it has not subsided.
Thatls awesome, Hop! Did you get a chance to run compression sweeps on the v3600 yet? Curious to see what kind of output you're getting from that beast.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
Thatls awesome, Hop! Did you get a chance to run compression sweeps on the v3600 yet? Curious to see what kind of output you're getting from that beast.
That is next on my list of things to do. Just need to get around to it.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it me or looking at the FR charts on the web site the V1500 is flatter lower than the V1800 which seems to start rolling off around 22-23Hz vs V1500 around 17-18Hz? I know it is just being nit picky, but just curious.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Dual PSA V1800s
Old 07-28-2015, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5212
I think your eyes are playing tricks on you. The both are +/-3db from 16-200hz.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Could be, but when you pull them up the V1800 crosses below 90db at 20hz and the V1500 drops below 90db at around 17Hz, granted the V1500 appears to be a db higher at 100Hz. V1500 FR just looks flatter. Again nothing audible, just being my anal ocd self.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Dual PSA V1800s
Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Wow, I am surprised that you don't have The Incredible Hulk. It is LOUD and DEEP.

If you have seen Godzilla, Pacific Rim, or Interstellar, you would know they are loud but not much going on below 30 Hz.

I would say it is on the similar level with War of the Worlds.
Yeah seriously I don't know why either, I have all the other titles above and WOTW is one of my favorites. One of my favs as well is Terminator Salvation. I don't know how I missed the 2008 Hulk, as I'm a Marvel Comic book junkie ever since I was a child, I have original issues of almost all of the characters. I got upset when the prices went from 10 cents to 12........

The original HulK with Lou Ferrigno was also my favorite TV show. Well I'll have the Incredible Hulk playing tomorrow.....
Old 07-29-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

He's right bh. Open two tabs in your browser with the FR of each in one and click back and forth. It's very noticeable when you do it that way. The V1500 goes deeper before rolling off and just looks better overall. It's almost like they are reversed.

Maybe @Tom Vodhanel can clarify it for us.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
He's right bh. Open two tabs in your browser with the FR of each in one and click back and forth. It's very noticeable when you do it that way. The V1500 goes deeper before rolling off and just looks better overall. It's almost like they are reversed.

The data-sets are correct. We don't shape the DSP to what may look most impressive when measured in a parking lot. We shape the DSP on each product to what we feel will *sound* best when the product is used in a home environment. Each product is unique in this regard and requires quite a bit of objective and subjective verification to get things optimized.

How everything sounds in room with music and movies first priority...always first priority.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
mnc, oneeyeblind, ahblaza and 2 others like this.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
The V1800 might be more like 17-200hz...hard to tell exactly..

It definitely has a slight sloping <21-23hz.

That is just what ended up sounding best to us with music/film.

Slight variations <30hz like this should be expected when optimizing two different systems. I would not rush to judgment on which system is better based on these variations.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and KeyurM like this.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just watched the Incredible Hulk all the way through this time (not just the prime demo scenes). It's bass is really addicting. Even the gunshots were shaking the couch. Good stuff.
Toe, ahblaza, gbreda and 1 others like this.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

The site still shows +/-3db 16-200hz for both subs...so no matter how different the response shape looks the -3db point is still 16hz for both subs. I agree that the response shape looks as if the V1800 rolls of faster below tune.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html

Last edited by basshead81; 07-29-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Just watched the Incredible Hulk all the way through this time (not just the prime demo scenes). It's bass is really addicting. Even the gunshots were shaking the couch. Good stuff.
I can feel vibrations in my couch @ -30 from reference. Gotta luv nearfield!! Reference is so violent you can barely focus on the movie. You literally start reaching for the "O ****" handles and praying for a seatbelt to strap in!!
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can feel vibrations in my couch @ -30 from reference. Gotta luv nearfield!! Reference is so violent you can barely focus on the movie. You literally start reaching for the "O ****" handles and praying for a seatbelt to strap in!!
Hey Bass, what is the "O ****" handles, I'm a little dense, maybe old age is creeping in...
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Hey Bass, what is the "O ****" handles, I'm a little dense, maybe old age is creeping in...
"Shirt..." -r
basshead81 likes this.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
It’s now been over a week since returning the S3000i …

Back at post number 21,324 on page 711, I mentioned returner’s remorse. We’ve all heard of buyer’s remorse, but what about returner’s remorse? Anyone ever have this medical condition? As I mentioned in my above previous post, I felt it a bit when I boxed the S3000i back up, and more so when the Fed Ex guy rolled it out to his truck the next day. It is now eight days later and here I’m sitting with my XS30 and getting solid tactile feel, yet not with quite the deep intensity and vibration of the S3000i, even though I had handcuffed the S3000i during my audition to get both subs to play nice together. I keep thinking that perhaps I should have just sold the XS30 and kept the S3000i, thus going with a single sub, but that was never in my original plan. As I listen to, and feel, the barrel roll on FotP, the monument collapsing on OHF, and the black hole sequence on Interstellar, it’s just not quite the same as it was with the S3000i. While the differences aren’t major, they are enough to where I now find myself missing that extra very deep capability. It shows itself in the intensity of the couch vibrating my back and seat. Once one hears and feels even a small difference, it becomes a bit more difficult to be satisfied knowing I now have less. Then I remember what the S3000i did to my bookcase . That takes away much of the pain, but not all of it. If anyone has ever had this debilitating condition of returner’s remorse, does it go away soon?

Anyway, for those thinking about replacing their XS30 with the S3000i, my experience may have mislead you. As I reread what I wrote while testing (such as on page 698), it may have appeared that I didn’t think much of the S3000i’s capability, but that’s simply not true. While I may not have cranked it to output levels most people use, I can assure you the S3000i is a more powerful and refined subwoofer than the XS30, with deeper ULF capability. It has a greater tactile feel (noticeable, but again, not a big difference in my room, but an important one as I now have discovered) when played at the SAME dB levels as the XS30. The S3000i will obviously hit greater dB levels with less effort for those looking to attain near reference or reference levels, which is the reason many have reported that there was a large difference between the two subs (that, and room conditions). When I stated the S3000i was like taming a tiger, that is exactly how I felt when I first turned up the gain and began testing. It was the same throughout the audition. This was a much different feeling than what I had with the XS30. The S3000i is clearer and cleaner for music and passed every difficult test I threw at it. There was a very noticeable improvement in detail (no direct A-B comparison needed, but I A-B compared them anyway). If I had chosen an XS30se, I would expect similar results as I received from the S3000i vs my XS30. While I’ve never auditioned the XS30se, from all reports (and by those using one of the music examples I used for testing) I would certainly assume the “se” is just as good for music reproduction as the S3000i and will be a much closer match to the S3000i than the original XS30 for movies.

So for those wanting to replace the XS30, the S3000 is an excellent investment and well worth the small increase in price (I’m also pretty convinced that the XS30se would be just as good of an investment). For those wanting to integrate the XS30 and S3000i, your mileage may vary from mine, but I wouldn’t think by much. Anytime one ties the hands of one sub to integrate with another, one can’t expect a sonic revelation.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Watching Run All Night this past weekend, we got the same from 2 S3000i on gunshots at normal listening levels of -15. Still smiling from these subs !
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
It’s now been over a week since returning the S3000i … I mentioned returner’s remorse. We’ve all heard of buyer’s remorse, but what about returner’s remorse? Anyone ever have this medical condition?......

Once one hears and feels even a small difference, it becomes a bit more difficult to be satisfied knowing I now have less. ........
Very interesting perspective and your entire post is very well stated.

When I was testing the single S3000i and thinking that 2 would be very much overkill I spoke with Tom about other options for dual subs. His response was exactly what you stated. If I hadn't heard the S3000i then 2 S1500 or 2 V1500 might work, but now those are not real options.

Overall 2 s3000i could destroy this room if totally unleashed, but together and dialed in they enhance each other and offer outstanding FR across many listening positions.

God help us if PSA releases an S3600
ahblaza and dsrussell like this.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 546
I don't know what's worse, upgraditis or the 'what if' feeling.

I think the feeling will go awat, drussell. It might just take a while
dsrussell likes this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 546
FYI, guys:

B-stock at the PSA website:

- one S3000i: $1,349.99 ($150 discount)

- one XV15se: $799.99 ($100 discount)

Also, @Tom Vodhanel , please remove the veneered pictures of the S3000i from the website! It's too pretty it hurts my eyes and my wallet starts talking and oh no my wife might kill me.
oneeyeblind, Billy p and westsdad like this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
FYI, guys:

B-stock at the PSA website:

- one S3000i: $1,349.99 ($150 discount)

- one XV15se: $799.99 ($100 discount)
I guarantee people here, that S3000i in B-stock has very low mileage .
oneeyeblind and Billy p like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To be honest this does not surprise me because your initial impressions between the two left me slightly confused. I agree you should of setup each sub indepedently to compare the differences instead of trying to integrate them without measuring gear. I remember the first day setting up dual XV15's all to be underwhelmed because the response was terrible and they were fighting eachother. It took a lot of time moving, tweaking, measuring...etc to dial them in.
You are correct, basshead. In trying to integrate both, I never gave the S3000i the credit it deserved. This became more apparent this past week. That’s why I posted what I did above. I should have moved the sub to different locations, just to see what would have happened (even if I wouldn’t end up keeping the sub there). I knew if I wanted to keep both subs, I’d need a calibrated microphone and REW (and borrow my son’s old Macbook Pro) to dial them in properly. But I was running out of time and had plenty on my plate during the audition. Such is life ... even for a retiree.
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM

No worries...it is apparent that the difference was not night and day for you, so that goes to show just how great the original XS30 is. I say just keep the XS30 and enjoy, just because all these fancy new subs are out does not mean our stuff is junk. I enjoy my XV15se's everyday.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
I don't know what's worse, upgraditis or the 'what if' feeling.
To me the "What if" feeling is far worse than upgraditis.

However, sadly there are times the "What If" feeling leads to upgraditis and that's even worse, then you have two dysfunctional thought patterns to deal with.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

dsrussell I respect your inner strength and self control. I don't think I could have done what you did. If I had been in your situation the "What if" thoughts would have kept me from sending it back even if I knew I didn't really need it. So I think you should be applauded for your ability to stick to your guns.
ahblaza and jhughy2010 like this.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is so strange. I see dsrussell's post but I don't see baseheads reply. But I see it quoted in dsrussell's 2nd post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15