Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 717 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #21481 of 21483 Old Today, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I can feel vibrations in my couch @ -30 from reference. Gotta luv nearfield!! Reference is so violent you can barely focus on the movie. You literally start reaching for the "O ****" handles and praying for a seatbelt to strap in!!
Hey Bass, what is the "O ****" handles, I'm a little dense, maybe old age is creeping in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21482 of 21483 Old Today, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Bass, what is the "O ****" handles, I'm a little dense, maybe old age is creeping in...
"Shirt..." -r
basshead81 likes this.
post #21483 of 21483 Old Today, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
It’s now been over a week since returning the S3000i …

Back at post number 21,324 on page 711, I mentioned returner’s remorse. We’ve all heard of buyer’s remorse, but what about returner’s remorse? Anyone ever have this medical condition? As I mentioned in my above previous post, I felt it a bit when I boxed the S3000i back up, and more so when the Fed Ex guy rolled it out to his truck the next day. It is now eight days later and here I’m sitting with my XS30 and getting solid tactile feel, yet not with quite the deep intensity and vibration of the S3000i, even though I had handcuffed the S3000i during my audition to get both subs to play nice together. I keep thinking that perhaps I should have just sold the XS30 and kept the S3000i, thus going with a single sub, but that was never in my original plan. As I listen to, and feel, the barrel roll on FotP, the monument collapsing on OHF, and the black hole sequence on Interstellar, it’s just not quite the same as it was with the S3000i. While the differences aren’t major, they are enough to where I now find myself missing that extra very deep capability. It shows itself in the intensity of the couch vibrating my back and seat. Once one hears and feels even a small difference, it becomes a bit more difficult to be satisfied knowing I now have less. Then I remember what the S3000i did to my bookcase . That takes away much of the pain, but not all of it. If anyone has ever had this debilitating condition of returner’s remorse, does it go away soon?

Anyway, for those thinking about replacing their XS30 with the S3000i, my experience may have mislead you. As I reread what I wrote while testing (such as on page 698), it may have appeared that I didn’t think much of the S3000i’s capability, but that’s simply not true. While I may not have cranked it to output levels most people use, I can assure you the S3000i is a more powerful and refined subwoofer than the XS30, with deeper ULF capability. It has a greater tactile feel (noticeable, but again, not a big difference in my room, but an important one as I now have discovered) when played at the SAME dB levels as the XS30. The S3000i will obviously hit greater dB levels with less effort for those looking to attain near reference or reference levels, which is the reason many have reported that there was a large difference between the two subs (that, and room conditions). When I stated the S3000i was like taming a tiger, that is exactly how I felt when I first turned up the gain and began testing. It was the same throughout the audition. This was a much different feeling than what I had with the XS30. The S3000i is clearer and cleaner for music and passed every difficult test I threw at it. There was a very noticeable improvement in detail (no direct A-B comparison needed, but I A-B compared them anyway). If I had chosen an XS30se, I would expect similar results as I received from the S3000i vs my XS30. While I’ve never auditioned the XS30se, from all reports (and by those using one of the music examples I used for testing) I would certainly assume the “se” is just as good for music reproduction as the S3000i and will be a much closer match to the S3000i than the original XS30 for movies.

So for those wanting to replace the XS30, the S3000 is an excellent investment and well worth the small increase in price (I’m also pretty convinced that the XS30se would be just as good of an investment). For those wanting to integrate the XS30 and S3000i, your mileage may vary from mine, but I wouldn’t think by much. Anytime one ties the hands of one sub to integrate with another, one can’t expect a sonic revelation.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page