Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 718 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #21511 of 21515 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Some how it was deleted...I have had this happen posting from my Note 3 before.

Jeffery, have you seen those handles above the window in vehicles? Around these parts we call them "O' S***T" handles because that is what you reach for and yell right before crashing. I need these above my couch on demo nights.

You can measure your subs tactile response with a smartphone. All you need is to download the app "Vibrometer" which measure vibrations using the richter scale. If you can hit 7.0 then you have a idea what it feels like to watch movies at my house @ reference level.
What does the measurement mean (vibrometer)? Just downloaded it- mm/sec?

Thanks

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21512 of 21515 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
@dsrussell,

I can't imagine what you would say if you listen to the newer, more powerful ported subs with 2 Ice Amp modules... say the V3600 or my sub...

(Hint: What bookshelf? The whole house is shaking... )
LOL . And congratulations on your JTR Cap 1400!!! I know you must be enjoying it (to say the least).

Other than my very first subwoofer (BIC V1220), I’ve never owned a ported sub. Matter-of-fact, all the subs I’ve tested at audio stores, audio shows and in-home trials were sealed designs (Paradigm, JL Audio, Hsu, DSS, SVS and PSA). Size is the main factor, and why I selected the XS30 and sought the very impressive S3000i, which was near the top end of my size parameter. And any sub I may choose must pass several music tests before I'd consider them (sealed or ported), even for a sub that is mainly for movies.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #21513 of 21515 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Those are all shipped now except one for pickup next week.

Knock on wood but we're actually caught up with everything but the V1800 pre order list now. We hired another employee a couple weeks ago and he's doing very well. Based on current 3-4 quarter projections we'll need another 1-2 before too long though.

Pretty soon we'll have enough here for our own HALO/COD team!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, send me an application with parameters that define the position, also a breakdown of salary options, this way I can decide if it's worthwhile for me to consider.......

Cheers Jeffrey
jd10ac likes this.
post #21514 of 21515 Old Today, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
LOL . And congratulations on your JTR Cap 1400!!! I know you must be enjoying it (to say the least).

Other than my very first subwoofer (BIC V1220), I’ve never owned a ported sub. Matter-of-fact, all the subs I’ve tested at audio stores, audio shows and in-home trials were sealed designs (Paradigm, JL Audio, Hsu, DSS, SVS and PSA). Size is the main factor, and why I selected the XS30 and sought the very impressive S3000i, which was near the top end of my size parameter. And any sub I may choose must pass several music tests before I'd consider them (sealed or ported), even for a sub that is mainly for movies.
Same here regarding never having a ported aside from a Boston Acoustic PV600, and the questions in my head keep nagging. It would be a fun demo to try one or two high power 18" ported subs here but I wouldn't want to do that to a manufacture that might incur the costs of my curiosity. IF PSA releases a high powered V1800 (pure speculation here), I know Tom would say it was not a problem, but it wouldn't be fair to spend their money like that. Then again, Tom would know better than I would if it might even make a difference over my current setup.
post #21515 of 21515 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
I'm in just the other situation. I've haven't had a high end ID sealed sub but I had an Infinity CSW 10 sealed sub which all in all wasn't bad for a major name brand sub. The SQ was decent but it always seemed to lack the ability to fill my room and watching movies with it was very underwhelming. I actually GAVE it to a friend when I bought my first XV15. That's when I decided I liked the fullness and in your face power I seem to experience with ported subs.

Having said that…I find myself wondering what I would think of a good ID manufacturer's sealed subwoofer because I'm fairly certain my view of sealed was tainted by an underachieving overpriced brand name sub (I only had to pay $200 for it so I didn't pay the $600 MSRP).

So I find myself REALLY wanting to try out a sealed sub. But to try out the S3000i would cost PSA money because I know it would be nothing but an experiment and I would return it. Unless of course, I liked it so much that it usurped my V3600i from it's throne, which I highly doubt would happen.

I guess it's possible it could happen, but for it to happen that S3000i would have to be one pretty incredible sealed subwoofer. From what I've read it sounds like it is a fantastic sub but I don't see it taking down a V3600i on it's own.

Anyway, perhaps some day I'll try out a S3000i for my upstairs. I really want to hear one (imagine that….I'm thinking about subwoofers).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page