Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 724 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24435Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21691 of 32806 Old 08-12-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Yes, but then I don't have my V1800s yet so not sure how much lower than 16Hz I want to go :-)
As long as you are getting solid output down to at least 16hz you should be golden and I'm confident the V1800's will deliver just that.
ahblaza, sk373 and Hopinater like this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
JT78681 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21692 of 32806 Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
@ kluken,

If I were you, I wouldn't even consider anything else for 2 V1800s @ pre-order price. ( $500 in discount!!!) Well, if I could get 2 S1500s @ pre-order price, then I might. But the pre-order discount for 2 S1500s is only $200.

Look at it this way, your 2 V1800s will still be golden even if you use a bigger room for HT down the road. I can't say the same for a pair of S1500s.
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM703 / LSiM706c / RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400

Last edited by chucky7; 08-13-2015 at 12:34 AM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #21693 of 32806 Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
@Alan , maybe you should leave well enough alone. It just sounds like a connectivity issue to me. Maybe the receptacles are older I don't know, but the wiggling is suspect to something amiss. Take the wall plate off and visually inspect the wire connections, sometimes they get a little loose and wiggling them may work for a while but it's not a permanent fix. Since they're both on the same circuit even if one is loose it will effect both outlets as they come from the same junction box. Visually check them out, it can't hurt.

I'm not a certified electrician but I've replaced numerous outlets in my older home because of the same problem you're having, I decided to put two 20 amp dedicated circuits in my room thus eliminating any other connected devices on the same line. Speaking of connected devices in line, it could be the mini and this could be happening before getting to the subs.

If everything looks good try my 3 in 1 oil tweak, I used to get a lot of arcing or like a static charge when plugging and unplugging components. Or you can just keep reading by candle light all night and let the 18s sit there looking good

Cheers Jeffrey
lizrussspike likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
 
post #21694 of 32806 Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 11,103
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 5657
Take the prongs on the power cords and bend them in slightly so the connection is snug...problem solved.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
basshead81 is offline  
post #21695 of 32806 Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Take the prongs on the power cords and bend them in slightly so the connection is snug...problem solved.
Why not do it right and replace the outlet........
kluken and oneeyeblind like this.
ahblaza is offline  
post #21696 of 32806 Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FattyMcButterPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Httyd 2 is terrible for bass

For animated bass movies:

9
Incredibles
Finding nemo
Httyd
Thanks Brian, I thought both HTTYD movies had good bass, but for the life of me I can't remember why lol. I'll have to look into the others, I love Finding Nemo and Incredibles so those are great additions! Never seen 9 but I'll have to check it out.

Also thanks to everyone for talking Oblivion up so much. Already have that one and just need to queue it up - sounds like I'm in for a treat.
FattyMcButterPants is offline  
post #21697 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 273
This is worse than being 8 and on xmas eve, my V1800s are on a FedEx truck roaming around town out for delivery...

8/13/2015 - Thursday
4:23 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery KENNESAW, GA

What's worse is I likely won't have time to do anything other than stare at them until Saturday even when they do show up ;-(
oneeyeblind, gbreda and Hopinater like this.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #21698 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Why not do it right and replace the outlet........
Yup, outlet is very inexpensive, figure out what circuit breaker and turn it off then replace the outlet. Poor connections can create resistance or open circuit, which creates heat which in the end is not good. Last thing you want is unstable power with the swings in draw a sub pulls.

I ran 2 new 20amp dedicated lines one for each sub because I was not willing to screw around with not giving the subs all the clean power they want. Putting a line conditioner in between to make sure no spike or brown outs hurt them and all set.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #21699 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Thanks Brian, I thought both HTTYD movies had good bass, but for the life of me I can't remember why lol. I'll have to look into the others, I love Finding Nemo and Incredibles so those are great additions! Never seen 9 but I'll have to check it out.

Also thanks to everyone for talking Oblivion up so much. Already have that one and just need to queue it up - sounds like I'm in for a treat.
9 has excellent bass and is well done. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
JT78681 is offline  
post #21700 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,638
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@Alan , maybe you should leave well enough alone. It just sounds like a connectivity issue to me. Maybe the receptacles are older I don't know, but the wiggling is suspect to something amiss. Take the wall plate off and visually inspect the wire connections, sometimes they get a little loose and wiggling them may work for a while but it's not a permanent fix. Since they're both on the same circuit even if one is loose it will effect both outlets as they come from the same junction box. Visually check them out, it can't hurt.

I'm not a certified electrician but I've replaced numerous outlets in my older home because of the same problem you're having, I decided to put two 20 amp dedicated circuits in my room thus eliminating any other connected devices on the same line. Speaking of connected devices in line, it could be the mini and this could be happening before getting to the subs.

If everything looks good try my 3 in 1 oil tweak, I used to get a lot of arcing or like a static charge when plugging and unplugging components. Or you can just keep reading by candle light all night and let the 18s sit there looking good

Cheers Jeffrey
Thanks again Jeff!


Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Take the prongs on the power cords and bend them in slightly so the connection is snug...problem solved.
Tried that, made no difference...at least when I wiggle the plug (they are silent "at rest" now, so maybe that's what fixed that).


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Why not do it right and replace the outlet........
This is what I'm gonna do....what are they, like $3 each?


Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Thanks Brian, I thought both HTTYD movies had good bass, but for the life of me I can't remember why lol. I'll have to look into the others, I love Finding Nemo and Incredibles so those are great additions! Never seen 9 but I'll have to check it out.

Also thanks to everyone for talking Oblivion up so much. Already have that one and just need to queue it up - sounds like I'm in for a treat.
I can confirm that HTTYD2 is very weak in the bass department, especially compared to the first one.
Alan P is offline  
post #21701 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 11,103
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 5657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Why not do it right and replace the outlet........
Because it is something easy to try before you take the next step which would be replacing the receptacle.


Sounds like Alan tried that already, so now it's time to replace the receptacle.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
basshead81 is offline  
post #21702 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Santa's Elves (FedEx) arrived!! He earned the tip I gave him, as you can see from my driveway ;-)

These things are huge, the listed dimensions do not let you realize how big they are, and heavy! Over 110bs each! I am so itching to at least fire one of these up tonight!

Thank you Santa (Tom)!! Can't wait to try them and give you all feedback!

If I am looking at serial number do I have V1800s #8 and #9 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	884666   Click image for larger version

Name:	V1800 Boxes.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	884674   Click image for larger version

Name:	V1800.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	884682  
chucky7, Toe, ahblaza and 7 others like this.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s

Last edited by kluken; 08-13-2015 at 11:24 AM.
kluken is offline  
post #21703 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Santa's Elves (FedEx) arrived!! He earned the tip I gave him, as you can see from my driveway ;-)

These things are huge, the listed dimensions do not let you realize how big they are, and heavy! Over 110bs each! I am so itching to at least fire one of these up tonight!

Thank you Santa (Tom)!! Can't wait to try them and give you all feedback!

If I am looking at serial number do I have V1800s #8 and #9 ?
Please let us know what you think of the V1800s. Duals are the way to go. Well Done Sir!
lizrussspike is offline  
post #21704 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
This is what I'm gonna do....what are they, like $3 each?
The cheapest ones are $0.69 each or 10 for $4.90 at Home Depot...
Alan P likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM703 / LSiM706c / RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400
chucky7 is online now  
post #21705 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,786
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Santa's Elves (FedEx) arrived!! He earned the tip I gave him, as you can see from my driveway ;-)

These things are huge, the listed dimensions do not let you realize how big they are, and heavy! Over 110bs each! I am so itching to at least fire one of these up tonight!

Thank you Santa (Tom)!! Can't wait to try them and give you all feedback!
Very Nice!.. It's always a good day when the PSA subs arrive!
westsdad likes this.
Hopinater is offline  
post #21706 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I will set one up in about an hour, but the size is intimidating ;-) Thinking the dual S1500 or V1500s would have been better fit from a l look perspective at least, but once I get blown out of my seat I will forget what they look like ;-)

They are going to dwarf my Klipsch RP-280Fs, going to need RF-7iis to be proportional

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #21707 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Liked: 3033
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I will set one up in about an hour, but the size is intimidating ;-) Thinking the dual S1500 or V1500s would have been better fit from a l look perspective at least, but once I get blown out of my seat I will forget what they look like ;-)

They are going to dwarf my Klipsch RP-280Fs, going to need RF-7iis to be proportional
Funny thing about size. The quality and impressiveness of the sound shrinks the sub size in many a person’s eye . I remember full well when I bought the XS30, I thought, “Man is this thing big, especially compared to my SB13.” Now, I think it’s not big at all and is a comfortable size.

Enjoy the audition!
Billy p, ahblaza, gbreda and 1 others like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #21708 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I can confirm that HTTYD2 is very weak in the bass department, especially compared to the first one.

Yep, it ranked 364th on the bass movie list versus 17th for the original.
zeus33 is online now  
post #21709 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I will set one up in about an hour, but the size is intimidating ;-) Thinking the dual S1500 or V1500s would have been better fit from a l look perspective at least, but once I get blown out of my seat I will forget what they look like ;-)

They are going to dwarf my Klipsch RP-280Fs, going to need RF-7iis to be proportional
Same thing went through my mind when I went from a BA PV600 to the XS30 and it happened again when I went to dual S3000i.

They get smaller the longer you own them.

Enjoy the new gear !
gbreda is offline  
post #21710 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,786
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I will set one up in about an hour, but the size is intimidating ;-) Thinking the dual S1500 or V1500s would have been better fit from a l look perspective at least, but once I get blown out of my seat I will forget what they look like ;-)

They are going to dwarf my Klipsch RP-280Fs, going to need RF-7iis to be proportional
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Funny thing about size. The quality and impressiveness of the sound shrinks the sub size in many a person’s eye . I remember full well when I bought the XS30, I thought, “Man is this thing big, especially compared to my SB13.” Now, I think it’s not big at all and is a comfortable size.

Enjoy the audition!
Dsrussell speaks the the truth. The better a large sub performs the smaller it get in one's eyes (but not the wife's).

For example...Now when I look at my V3600 it doesn't look very big at all. Now it only looks like a compact refrigerator instead of a compact car.

I also agree with grebda. I suspect in another month or so the V3600 won't look much larger than a toaster.
ahblaza, gbreda, dsrussell and 1 others like this.
Hopinater is offline  
post #21711 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
...
For example...Now when I look at my V3600 it doesn't look very big at all. Now it only looks like a compact refrigerator instead of a compact car.
Now if only PSA subwoofers would keep our beers cold... better get on top of that, Tom and Jim!
gbreda and Hopinater like this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #21712 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,786
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Now if only PSA subwoofers would keep our beers cold... better get on top of that, Tom and Jim!
That's why mine sits next to my kegerator. Best of both worlds.
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and westsdad like this.
Hopinater is offline  
post #21713 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Member
 
perfectevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Now if only PSA subwoofers would keep our beers cold... better get on top of that, Tom and Jim!
Call it the Sub Zero Woofridge!
Alan P, ahblaza, gbreda and 1 others like this.
perfectevolution is offline  
post #21714 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 273
OK I could not resist getting at least one V1800 set up and tuned up. Excuse the rushed phone pic. I ran a few movie scenes and then a few initial songs. Nothing very critical yet. A few things, it does sound tighter down low compared to my PC-Ultra, not sure if that is the difference of down firing corner loaded vs front firing ported in additional to the bigger driver working so little.

I ran a quick 6 position Audyssey and noticed as expected due to the size of this driver I had to have the gain almost at zero and still Audyessy set sub to -11.5db. I think I should get some 12db attenuators as from what I have read they wind up being closer to 6db anyway.

Next and getting the duals set up will help this I hope, but the sweet spot has moved it seems. My PC-Ultra was in same exact spot and my seating is about 13-14 feet in front of right speaker. While the bass is good there if you to the left directly in the front line of the sub the gain is huge (you feel it in your chest) and also a bit boomy, very surprising as the sub is pointed directly into that left sofa and it was not that much with the Ultra in same position. I was thinking of leaving them ion the corners, but now surely want to bring them next to the credenza and push the R/L fronts further apart.

I could not resist running the Edge of Tomorrow opening and the V1800 handled it very well, I did hear the driver flutter, but that is likely just the 10Hz sound of the driver. It never dropped/rolled off so bad I could not hear it, but it was likely not very clean. Other scenes felt richer and seemed to have more depth.

I will spend more time this weekend with it, running it through more paces movies and music. This thing is a beast, thank goodness for furniture super sliders ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V1800.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	885050  

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #21715 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,638
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
^^^

What you talking about? That thing looks tiny!

Yeah, you should move your mains away from the stand regardless. It's not good to have the front baffles of your speakers level with the front of the stand (that goes for your CC as well, pull it out a couple inches if you can). I'd try the subs next to the stands and the mains further apart...and toed in.
mnc, oneeyeblind, ahblaza and 4 others like this.
Alan P is offline  
post #21716 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Wow Tom... absolutely great job on the veneer options for the S1500 and S3000i!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how good the MT-110 and MTM-210 look with the veneer options you have. Keep up the great work!
oneeyeblind likes this.
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #21717 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
oneeyeblind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 467
From facebook

Quote:
The popular S1500 is now available in real wood, furniture grade veneer finishes. The available colors are (from left to right) espresso, cordovan, American cherry, and natural cherry. Also available, but not pictured is the black ash finish.
Prices start at $1,249.99 with Anti-Mode packages generously discounted. Lead times for all wood veneers are typically 2 weeks.


http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s1500

Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/powersoundaudio?fref=nf

Prices: $1249.99 single veneered sub / $2399.99 (dual veneered subs)

ShaunH
oneeyeblind is offline  
post #21718 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
OK I could not resist getting at least one V1800 set up and tuned up. Excuse the rushed phone pic. I ran a few movie scenes and then a few initial songs. Nothing very critical yet. A few things, it does sound tighter down low compared to my PC-Ultra, not sure if that is the difference of down firing corner loaded vs front firing ported in additional to the bigger driver working so little.

I ran a quick 6 position Audyssey and noticed as expected due to the size of this driver I had to have the gain almost at zero and still Audyessy set sub to -11.5db. I think I should get some 12db attenuators as from what I have read they wind up being closer to 6db anyway.

Next and getting the duals set up will help this I hope, but the sweet spot has moved it seems. My PC-Ultra was in same exact spot and my seating is about 13-14 feet in front of right speaker. While the bass is good there if you to the left directly in the front line of the sub the gain is huge (you feel it in your chest) and also a bit boomy, very surprising as the sub is pointed directly into that left sofa and it was not that much with the Ultra in same position. I was thinking of leaving them ion the corners, but now surely want to bring them next to the credenza and push the R/L fronts further apart.

I could not resist running the Edge of Tomorrow opening and the V1800 handled it very well, I did hear the driver flutter, but that is likely just the 10Hz sound of the driver. It never dropped/rolled off so bad I could not hear it, but it was likely not very clean. Other scenes felt richer and seemed to have more depth.

I will spend more time this weekend with it, running it through more paces movies and music. This thing is a beast, thank goodness for furniture super sliders ;-)
A few thoughts... having the V1800 corner loaded doesn't make it sound "boomy"? I like your set-up a lot. I wonder if you wouldn't benefit from a wider sound stage by having your floor standing speakers as far apart as possible and then placing the V1800 equally between the TV stand and the left front speaker. This might still benefit from corner loading the sub but I think it could help it sound less boomy (if you are having the effect as I have) and also you'd benefit from a wider sound stage with the front mains.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #21719 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,786
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Yeah, you should move your mains away from the stand regardless. It's not good to have the front baffles of your speakers level with the front of the stand (that goes for your CC as well, pull it out a couple inches if you can). I'd try the subs next to the stands and the mains further apart...and toed in.
I agree. Move the speakers out and toe them in a little (it might take some playing around to get it right). IMO having the mains a bit wider helps cast a better sound stage as well.

I would try the putting the subs where the speakers are and see how that works.

Enjoy, the sub looks beautiful.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Hopinater is offline  
post #21720 of 32806 Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,786
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 4730
I like those veneers a lot. They are absolutely beautiful.

Oneeyeblind...I appreciate the way you let us see what's getting posted on the PSA Facebook page because I never think of visiting it so I would be missing out on all that current info if it wasn't for you. Thank you.
Hopinater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off