Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 740 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #22171 of 22186 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
I want to give a shout out to Tom and Jim. I had a forum member over this week to help me with REW, we got everything dialed in on both my subs. It sounded incredible, I have had my subs over a year and a half and am mad I didn't do myself any favors by not learning the program. Long story short I did a movie demo and switched back to a CD and lost bass! Both my bash amps would not turn on. I wish I had an explanation as to what caused it. So I was nervous to call Tom because this is a very unlikely scenario. After talking with Tom he chalked it up to some freak thing that happened and is shipping me 2 replacement amps. Customer service is 2nd to none. I was expecting a "what the hell did you do" speech, but that was not the case at all. I have never had to warranty anything before. I have no regrets buying these subs, Thanks Tom!
Yeah, those amps should be there tomorrow bossdog.

Not really sure what happened. BOTH failing at the exact same time indicates some type of overload situation. A movie demo shouldn't cause this of course so we'll take a close look at these when we get them to see if we have any answers for you. Anyway, thanks for being so patient too. Being without subs for a few days can't be fun.

Now that I'm thinking about this, did I ask you about checking the fuses during the call?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yes I checked voltage at outlet, plug, and continuity of the fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22172 of 22186 Old Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Intellivision? I still have 2 or 3 of those consoles and like 100 games in a closet somewhere. Did you have the voice module? B-17 Booooooommmber...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
C'mon Tom, you're not old enough to have an original Intellivision, I am... No I didn't have the voice module, it's been so long ago I may have...Baseball was my game. I was 28 when it came out, so maybe you did have one....Old Timing Man....

The Intellivision is a home video game console released by Mattel in 1979. Development of the console began in 1978, less than a year after the introduction of its main competitor, the Atari 2600. The word intellivision is a portmanteau of "intelligent television".

Cheers Jeffrey
post #22173 of 22186 Old Today, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Farina View Post
I told Tom I had an idea for a WWMMMTTMMMWW-418610. Four 18" woofers, six 10" midrange, and two compression tweeters. He rolled his eyes and said ahblaza will want a pair.
Hey Jim, I thought we agreed on a price and you wanted me to keep this hush hush, don't let the cat out of the bag yet, give me a chance to hear them and decide if I want to keep them or upgrade... My Man.....

Cheers Jeffrey
post #22174 of 22186 Old Today, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My mini-dsp mic arrived. The subs and anti-mode will arrive tomorrow. I will tune with anit-mode.

having second thoughts on mini-dsp mic. using REW it can show me all sorts of great information. However, if I don't add a DSP to my Marantz AVR, then how do I adjust to make the REW readings better?

MY Build in Progress >>> My Home Theater Build
Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500, KEF 3005 5.1, Marantz SR6003
HT: Selection in progress
In storage: Mirage M7si, Mirage LF-150, Marantz SR7200
post #22175 of 22186 Old Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
Yes I checked voltage at outlet, plug, and continuity of the fuse.
That's right, I remember now, thanks!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #22176 of 22186 Old Today, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
My mini-dsp mic arrived. The subs and anti-mode will arrive tomorrow. I will tune with anit-mode.

having second thoughts on mini-dsp mic. using REW it can show me all sorts of great information. However, if I don't add a DSP to my Marantz AVR, then how do I adjust to make the REW readings better?
REW will help you find the best placement (location) for your subs. Just sticking a sub where you think it looks best is a sure way to get bad bass. It takes time and effort to locate the best placement for your subs.

The quick and dirty way is the sub crawl but it's not that good. The best way is to take sweeps with REW (using your new UMIK). If REW looks bad (looks like a roller coaster or rugged mountain range) then move your sub and try again. The flatter the better, it means you have smoother bass throughout the room at the different frequencies.

So don't second guess yourself. Move forward with REW. Once you find the best location you can let the Anti-mode do the rest. Location first, software tweaks second.
ahblaza and gbreda like this.
post #22177 of 22186 Old Today, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
It will help you find the best placement (location) for your subs. Just sticking a sub where you think it looks best is a sure way to get bad bass. It takes time and effort to locate the best placement where your subs will react best to the particulars of your room.

The quick and dirty way is the sub crawl but it's not that good. The best way is to take sweeps with REW (using your new UMIK) to see what your sub's Frequency response in your room. If it's bad (looks like a roller coaster or rugged mountain range) then move your sub and try again. The flatter the better, it means you have smoother bass throughout the room at the different frequencies.

So don't second guess yourself. Move forward with your REW. Once you find the best location you can let the Anti-mode do the rest.

Thanks. So it is for initial placement. Off topic, but use itthe same way to find locations of mains before I run Audyssey?

MY Build in Progress >>> My Home Theater Build
Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500, KEF 3005 5.1, Marantz SR6003
HT: Selection in progress
In storage: Mirage M7si, Mirage LF-150, Marantz SR7200
post #22178 of 22186 Old Today, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
REW will help you find the best placement (location) for your subs. Just sticking a sub where you think it looks best is a sure way to get bad bass. It takes time and effort to locate the best placement for your subs.

The quick and dirty way is the sub crawl but it's not that good. The best way is to take sweeps with REW (using your new UMIK). If REW looks bad (looks like a roller coaster or rugged mountain range) then move your sub and try again. The flatter the better, it means you have smoother bass throughout the room at the different frequencies.

So don't second guess yourself. Move forward with REW. Once you find the best location you can let the Anti-mode do the rest. Location first, software tweaks second.
Do you have to move subwoofers around? Could you validly use REW in the same fashion as a subwoofer crawl - out subwoofer in listening location then take readings around your room until you find a smooth spot? If that would be as valid as moving subwoofer it would be easier. Would it be valid?
post #22179 of 22186 Old Today, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Well, to be fair...I don't think we could ever introduce a new product without SOMEONE claiming ESPN.. There's been comments about just about everything you could think of in this thread at one time or another.

S3600i, check
S7200ii, check
S10,800iii, check

$499 HTib check
$999 system check
S1000,1200,1800,2100,9999990000 check.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

You forgot the V5400 I mentioned a while ago, aka the VT-18.
post #22180 of 22186 Old Today, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Why do psa subs have to sound so good with music. I wish i could figure out what kind of wizardry went into them. Oh well time to start saving for the s3600!
post #22181 of 22186 Old Today, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
Thanks. So it is for initial placement. Off topic, but use itthe same way to find locations of mains before I run Audyssey?
Not usually. Usually the mains can only be placed in very limited location in the front of the room. If you are lucky you might be able to move them a few feet wider or narrower or a foot or two farther from the wall but you can't take them on a journey around the room like you can with your subs.

For instance, REW may reveal that your subs work better in the back of the room so you may end up placing them there. But your mains have to go in the front of the room no matter what.
post #22182 of 22186 Old Today, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Do you have to move subwoofers around? Could you validly use REW in the same fashion as a subwoofer crawl - out subwoofer in listening location then take readings around your room until you find a smooth spot? If that would be as valid as moving subwoofer it would be easier. Would it be valid?
That's an interesting question. I really don't know. My hunch is to say because REW is revealing how the sub interacts with the room at the MLP (where you are measuring with the MIC) it's best to keep the MIC at the MLP and move the subs. It seems to me that moving the MIC around like you are doing the sub crawl may not actually give you accurate results for the MLP.

Last edited by Hopinater; Today at 06:21 PM.
post #22183 of 22186 Old Today, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just wanted to quickly chime in with a humble: Y'all crazy in here!

I'm loving my S1500's. They have expanded my experience beyond expectations and I can certainly see how the Sub Bug is caught. But dang! Some of you are Madmen!
sk373 likes this.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A | Denon AVR-X4200W | PSB Image T6 | PSB Image C5 | PSB Image B6 | Dual PSA S1500s | PS4 w/1TB Hybrid HD | 1TB Xbone | Comcast X1 DVR
post #22184 of 22186 Old Today, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
That's an interesting question. I really don't know. My hunch is to say because REW is revealing how the sub interacts with the room at the MLP (where you are measuring with the MIC) it's best to keep the MIC at the MLP and move the subs. It seems to me that moving the MIC around like you are doing the sub crawl may not actually give you accurate results for the MLP.
The physics between the listening location and subwoofer placement are supposed to be the same. So it seems it would be valid - plus a lot easier.
post #22185 of 22186 Old Today, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
The physics between the listening location and subwoofer placement are supposed to be the same. So it seems it would be valid - plus a lot easier.
I don't think so. Basically, you would just be taking measurements at different listening positions. There's a reason you don't see it done that way.

My humble system:

Vizio E601I-A3; Darbee Darblet; Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD universal blu-ray player; Pioneer Elite SC-67 AVR, Dual PSA XS15se's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, Radeon R280, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case)
post #22186 of 22186 Old Today, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ac View Post
Why do psa subs have to sound so good with music. I wish i could figure out what kind of wizardry went into them. Oh well time to start saving for the s3600!
Told ya...

No wizardry, just quality components...the Lab15 driver is a very excellent design...so good even Mark Seaton uses a custom spec'd version for his SubM and F2.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread