Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 741 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #22201 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ac View Post
I was and am still happy with my choice for movies I just didn't realize how much a was missing with music until today when my wife pointed it out. Once she said hey that guitar doesn't sound right, it hit me like a ton of bricks that the bass guitar in one of my favorite concert blu-rays was really anemic on the new sub. Ruined my whole day lol. And yes Basshead you were right.
Well that escalated quickly…A few days ago I congratulated you for being happy with your new sub and now you're already admitting that basshead was right about how you would soon be missing your PSA sub.
oneeyeblind and basshead81 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22202 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I have my sub on auto plugged into a surge protector. And I only turn the surge protector on when I watch a movie.

You should have your sub on 1 surge protector and your amps and other equipment on another anyways.
Hey chucky7,

If I recall correctly, Tom had told me over the phone a few months ago to plug a subwoofer directly into an outlet. Some surge protectors might limit the current allow or something... I don't know.

Can somebody chime in on this?

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #22203 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Hey chucky7,

If I recall correctly, Tom had told me over the phone a few months ago to plug a subwoofer directly into an outlet. Some surge protectors might limit the current allow or something... I don't know.

Hey cesar123,

I could be wrong but it's possible he was talking about a power conditioner, rather than a surge protector.

I have all my AV equipment and computer plugged into surge protectors.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM 703/LSiM 706c/RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400
post #22204 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Hey chucky7,

Just ensure that the surge protector is capable of the maximum input current of the subwoofer plus 25 percent. That should suffice.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #22205 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Some posts from HTS...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post687532

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post687538

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post687575

So surge protectors should not limit current. Power conditioners, UPS would for sure.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
JTR Captivator 1400
post #22206 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I keep my V3600 on Auto and have had zero problems with it. It clicks on as soon as it's called into action.
I think some AVR's (mine in particular) output a little less at the sub pre-out. With my miniDSP in the chain I was having an incredibly hard time getting the subs to come on. Without the miniDSP it is much better, however, I have to keep the gain knobs down to about 9 o'clock and then bump up the trim in the AVR to +3dB (I'd do more but that yields about 78dB with an SPL meter).

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #22207 of 22224 Unread Today, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 400
@climber07 and @chucky7 .

Maybe I just mixed up the two things. Thanks for clearing that out.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #22208 of 22224 Unread Today, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Quote:
I was and am still happy with my choice for movies I just didn't realize how much a was missing with music until today when my wife pointed it out. Once she said hey that guitar doesn't sound right, it hit me like a ton of bricks that the bass guitar in one of my favorite concert blu-rays was really anemic on the new sub. Ruined my whole day lol. And yes Basshead you were right.
Well that escalated quickly?A few days ago I congratulated you for being happy with your new sub and now you're already admitting that basshead was right about how you would soon be missing your PSA sub.
I still like my sub but i shouldn't have strayed from what was working well for me. I was under the assumption that all subs would sound similar with the difference being output capabilities, lesson learned.
post #22209 of 22224 Unread Today, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
I missed it. What did you switch to?
post #22210 of 22224 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I still like my sub but i shouldn't have strayed from what was working well for me. I was under the assumption that all subs would sound similar with the difference being output capabilities, lesson learned.
To be honest I'm a little shocked myself to hear that you guys noticed that much difference. Based the the reputation of Hsu I figured the sub would be a little closer in SQ to the PSA than it apparently is. Any possibility of returning it without a penalty (perhaps just shipping costs)?

I appreciate you sharing this with us jd10ac. It speaks volumes about the quality of PSA to read that you (and your wife) noticed such a difference.
post #22211 of 22224 Unread Today, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
What sub do you have now?
post #22212 of 22224 Unread Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you ever take in room measurments? The assumption you stated assumes the subs are EQ'd to get the same in room FR. If you have different FR's then of course they will sound drastically different.

Each sub interacts with a given room differently, and in this case it sounds like the HSU isn't reacting as preferably for you.
audiofan1 and jd10ac like this.
post #22213 of 22224 Unread Today, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's interesting because Hsu is known to be musical as well.

When I compared the output of Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP with PSA V1500 (which should have similar output to a S1500 in the top end) from 40~80 Hz, they are neck to neck, within 1 dB of each other.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
JTR Captivator 1400

Last edited by chucky7; Today at 04:26 PM.
post #22214 of 22224 Unread Today, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by andremal View Post
Question for you fellow ICE powered sub owners - Do you set your Sub(s) to 'On' or 'Auto'? I realize this is a power saving feature but is there any benefit to increase the lifespan of your Amp by using Auto?

Thx
I initially had both of my S1500's in Auto mode, but one of them was having an issue with that and would turn on, off, on, off, etc. randomly within just a few minutes.

This was only happening when it was sitting idle and no signal being sent. I was unable to pinpoint what the cause was so I decided to just leave them both in the On position.

I always left my old sub turned on 24/7 as well and I never had any issues with it after 22 years of use so I see no reason to expect any longevity issues with doing this on the S1500's either.
post #22215 of 22224 Unread Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Some posts from HTS...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post687532

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post687538

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post687575

So surge protectors should not limit current. Power conditioners, UPS would for sure.
I have a 1200watt Line Conditioner on each sub and each is plugged into a its own dedicated 20amp circuit ;-) The rest of the home theater is in 2 1500VA UPSes, 1 for the Denon the other for the TV and misc, SAT TV, Oppo, Roku, etc.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #22216 of 22224 Unread Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent A View Post
I initially had both of my S1500's in Auto mode, but one of them was having an issue with that and would turn on, off, on, off, etc. randomly within just a few minutes.

This was only happening when it was sitting idle and no signal being sent. I was unable to pinpoint what the cause was so I decided to just leave them both in the On position.

I always left my old sub turned on 24/7 as well and I never had any issues with it after 22 years of use so I see no reason to expect any longevity issues with doing this on the S1500's either.
I do notice it take a few seconds for the subs to power up. I may leave mine in ON, depends how well it will handle music with long low volume, no low freq passages. Tome indicated the AMPs will go into standby after around I think it was 8-10 min without a signal. Wish it were more like 30. My power bill is high enough from all the computers running 7x24 I don't think 2 subs running 7x24 will be noticeable.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #22217 of 22224 Unread Today, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's interesting because Hsu is known to be musical as well.

When I compared the output of Hsu VTF-15H MK2 with PSA V1500 (which should have similar output to a S1500 in the top end) from 40~80 Hz, they are neck to neck, within 1 dB of each other.
Being neck to neck in output does not mean they will be neck to neck in SQ. But I do see what you're saying, since that range of bass seems to be anemic for them with this sub.
post #22218 of 22224 Unread Today, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

@ jd10ac

Were you comparing your Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP to S1500 or XS30?

If you think your sub is anemic compared to S1500, you can always ask your friend to bring the S1500 you sold him for a shoot out.

I think it was XS30 that you feel bass guitar sounded better with. XS30 is +3 dB @ 31~50 Hz and + 4 dB @ 60 ~ 100 Hz over S1500.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
JTR Captivator 1400
post #22219 of 22224 Unread Today, 04:54 PM

Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply. I do now have the Hsu vtf3 mk5. I don't think I should have used the term anemic because on movies and some music the HSU sounds very comparable to the S1500 and the Xs30se. I really noticed the difference when playing rock music. The Hsu doesn't give the same authority to a bass guitar that both PSA subs did. I'm not knocking the HSU because it is a great sub especially at the price. I dont know if any of you guys are fans of the Killers but if you own their Royal Albert Hall blu ray I can tell you the exact song where the difference really stands out. It could be a placement/setup issue but I did run audyssey and have tried all the amplifier options and port options on the Hsu. As for sending the HSU back, I am going to keep it and just save up for another PSA sub, with Christmas coming I can't drain the bank account for another sub so it will be next year before I can get a replacement and I don't want to be without a sub that long. Who knows, by next year I might be able to buy the new s4800 lol.
post #22220 of 22224 Unread Today, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply. I do now have the Hsu vtf3 mk5. I don't think I should have used the term anemic because on movies and some music the HSU sounds very comparable to the S1500 and the Xs30se. I really noticed the difference when playing rock music. The Hsu doesn't give the same authority to a bass guitar that both PSA subs did. I'm not knocking the HSU because it is a great sub especially at the price. I dont know if any of you guys are fans of the Killers but if you own their Royal Albert Hall blu ray I can tell you the exact song where the difference really stands out. It could be a placement/setup issue but I did run audyssey and have tried all the amplifier options and port options on the Hsu. As for sending the HSU back, I am going to keep it and just save up for another PSA sub, with Christmas coming I can't drain the bank account for another sub so it will be next year before I can get a replacement and I don't want to be without a sub that long. Who knows, by next year I might be able to buy the new s4800 lol.
If it were me I would buying a minidsp to eq my new HSU sub to match what I liked about the PSA lol. It's a relatively cheap option and might get you where you want to be.
post #22221 of 22224 Unread Today, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
If it were me I would buying a minidsp to eq my new HSU sub to match what I liked about the PSA lol. It's a relatively cheap option and might get you where you want to be.
That was the original plan when I got the HSU, spend the money I saved on a microphone and mini dsp, but life happened and that spare money went to vet bills for my dog.
post #22222 of 22224 Unread Today, 05:10 PM

In the end I blame my buddy for asking if I would sell the S1500. I was quite content with it and it was my wifes favorite, its funny how the smallest one is always my wife's favorite. I had a little Energy esw-m8 at our old that she loved.
post #22223 of 22224 Unread Today, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I do notice it take a few seconds for the subs to power up. I may leave mine in ON, depends how well it will handle music with long low volume, no low freq passages. Tome indicated the AMPs will go into standby after around I think it was 8-10 min without a signal. Wish it were more like 30. My power bill is high enough from all the computers running 7x24 I don't think 2 subs running 7x24 will be noticeable.
This is kind of what I was noticing with my Denon AVR-2113ci. I've only had my X4200W a few days but it hasn't seemed to be as much of a problem. Not sure if the Receiver is doing a better job of keeping them 'alive' even without much low end going on.

On the subject of my new X4200W - It was very interesting running Audyssey. I kept my subs settings (volume and phase) right where they were. The 4200 complained that the subs were way too loud. Using the SW Level Matching the 4200 had me turn the sub volume way way down compared to the 2113. It did use the Calibration Mic for measurement and I dialed them right in to the green at 75ish db. After completing Audyssey I've bumped both subs up 4db. The bass is smoother and less pronounced but doesn't seem as strong. Not in a bad way but it is an interesting difference.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A | Denon AVR-X4200W | PSB Image T6 | PSB Image C5 | PSB Image B6 | Dual PSA S1500s | PS4 w/1TB Hybrid HD | 1TB Xbone | Comcast X1 DVR
post #22224 of 22224 Unread Today, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
So you went from sealed to ported sub(s)? Then maybe you are hearing some port noise. Which is why a some of the audiophile people go with sealed subs for music. Another thing is if your subs are in the corner, they can often sound boomy. I would try placement and experiment with your crossovers. I got a huge improvement when I raised my crossover up. So try them all starting at 40 Hz and go all the way up on the AVR. I dont know what other controls the HSU has, but maybe there is something there also.
If you haven't ran REW, that may find your missing link. I bet you have a big null around 60 Hz or so.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page