Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 745 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24320Likes

Old 09-14-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 5632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
imho for 1k$ your much better off with minidsp 88A dirac. your WHOLE system will thank you
Dirac only EQ's the subs as one or I would agree. Most room correction software does a decent job with speakers anyway, it's the subs that prove troublesome. If Dirac ever comes out with a multi sub EQ solution I will give it a shot.

Some of you that keep saying for X price I would rather have Y product needs to pick one of these up and try it for 30 days free. There is no risk and you can send it back...Then come back and share your thoughts. Not sure why some of you gotta be debbie downers. I thought I was providing some helpful info instead of the same old "congrats on your sub purchase" .
I did this to help folks out looking for a good EQ solution that does not require a ton of know-how, laptops, and USB mics. Some folks are not as Savy when it comes to setting up REW, Measuring, and using a Mini DSP.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html

Last edited by basshead81; 09-14-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Dirac only EQ's the subs as one or I would agree.
Not really a big deal to be honest. There are workarounds

It gives me a better response than any other calibration system
Old 09-14-2015, 03:36 PM

If you do not mind me asking, How many calibration systems have you tried? If you remember I am a fan of dirac, but the single sub EQ is not appealing to me. Yes there are work arounds but it still is not the same as having a device that runs 5 2min sweeps from 0-150hz to time align the and EQ the subs. Again just give it a try then send it back Tom won't mind.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html

Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
If you do not mind me asking, How many calibration systems have you tried? If you remember I am a fan of dirac, but the single sub EQ is not appealing to me. Yes there are work arounds but it still is not the same as having a device that runs 5 2min sweeps from 0-150hz to time align the and EQ the subs. Again just give it a try then send it back Tom won't mind.
Anti mode 8033c
Audyssey xt
Audyssey xt32 w subeq ht
Yapo
Minidsp (using REW and no auto eq)
Dirac

So I guess that makes me a pretty good candidate to make judgement

Haha

Not only does Dirac get the best FR of all of them but time aligning them externally there is no need for sun distance tweak as with the others
basshead81 likes this.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Dirac only EQ's the subs as one or I would agree. Most room correction software does a decent job with speakers anyway, it's the subs that prove troublesome. If Dirac ever comes out with a multi sub EQ solution I will give it a shot.

Some of you that keep saying for X price I would rather have Y product needs to pick one of these up and try it for 30 days free. There is no risk and you can send it back...Then come back and share your thoughts. Not sure why some of you gotta be debbie downers. I thought I was providing some helpful info instead of the same old "congrats on your sub purchase" .
I did this to help folks out looking for a good EQ solution that does not require a ton of know-how, laptops, and USB mics. Some folks are not as Savy when it comes to setting up REW, Measuring, and using a Mini DSP.
You sold me Basshead! I am working on getting a 2.0, and will order one tomorrow. Thanks for doing what you do. I know we could send it back, but like the V3600, I knew I could send it back, but once my ears were moving with the pressure, I knew I had a new PSA family member for life. SO on with supporting this great company and probably onto a second mortgage.....this upgraditus is something that I cannot cure, but love it just the same! AMDC it is!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Anti mode 8033c
Audyssey xt
Audyssey xt32 w subeq ht
Yapo
Minidsp (using REW and no auto eq)
Dirac

So I guess that makes me a pretty good candidate to make judgement

Haha

Not only does Dirac get the best FR of all of them but time aligning them externally there is no need for sun distance tweak as with the others
Wow you have been through several!! I have only used.

Ypao
Mini dsp(unbalanced)
AMDC

Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Wow you have been through several!! I have only used.

Ypao
Mini dsp(unbalanced)
AMDC
Tell me about it

Haha

Dirac live is by far the best at getting it right.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Thanks Jeff. I was hoping you would stop in and share your thoughts. You have had a lot of the PSA subs and they have been both sealed and ported so your first hand experience with them is valuable.

Thanks Jim for the kind words, I realize not every room is the same so I share my results and experiences with in house products that I've come to learn what to expect from various models that work in my space. It really boils down to what your preferences are and how much output you need to pressurize your space. Every PSA sub is unique within it's performance parameters but they all share the same sound character, for me it's become a matter of extension and output and finding that fine line that combines both.

Having PSA speakers also helps, I don't think they were designed by accident, they have that certain synergy with the subs that combine to work as a whole rather than individually. Besides Tom and Jim devoting so much time with helping people prior to and after the sale and owners sharing their experiences is priceless. You can count on making an informed decision and be pretty certain what to expect before your product arrives in a timely fashion.

I see a lot of new folks joining this thread since I've been MIA, that's a good thing as this place has a wealth of knowledge and questions are addressed promptly. OK my friends I hope to frequent this thread more often than I have lately. It's hard to catch up when you're gone for more than a few days around here.

Forgive my ignorance, what is MMFR....

Cheers Jeffrey
Hopinater likes this.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:

ARC is much like Dirac in that it subs the total number of subs as one. But I've had great results with my dual subs, ARC still makes it sound as if the bass is coming from the front speakers and not the subs. You look at the mains and you'd swear all of the bass is coming from them and not the subs.
Brian Fineberg likes this.

Last edited by jbrown15; 09-14-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Yea I can see that... dual subs placed equal distant from the LP can easily be summed as one. It's when you have multiple subs placed in various locations or not equi-distant does individual time delay become important.

What I have noticed having the 3rd sub properly time aligned with the other 2 is that the bass seems to stop on a dime. Also there are less cancellation spots in the room. You can walk around and 80-90% of the room sounds like the main LP.

I have been reading up on room trestments and might try some corner bass traps. The front left corner of my room is insanely hot with bass.

I will say Music has never sounded this good on my system. It is amazing how much difference in sound there is getting that 100-200hz range smoothed out.

What I enjoy the most out of all this is learning. I believe too many are quick to change subs or speakers when 90% of the time changes can be made to the signal chain and room to improve the sound. Here I thought my system was fully "optimized" for what it is and now after upgrading the AVR and AMDC, the sound quality has improved significantly. The Aventage Yamahas are significantly better then the RX-V stuff...never going back. Now if only Yamaha would incorporate AMDC 7.2 into the AVR!!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Forgive my ignorance, what is MMFR....
Cheers Jeffrey
Mad Max Fury road, the latest and greatest bass movie up to date this year, IMO.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 4720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Mad Max Fury road, the latest and greatest bass movie up to date this year, IMO.
By far!

I can't think of any other movie this year that comes close. Interstellar certainly was good but wasn't a Mad Max. John Wick was also very good but still not in the same camp as Mad Max.

You're doing your subs a disservice if you don't let them play Mad Max.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
anybody having success using vented and sealed subs together with help from antimode dual core 2.0? would I be better off placing 3 of the same sub grouped together as one or displacing them at 3 different locations?

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:09 AM

It is always recommended to use the same sub even though some have had success mixing sealed and ported. I would place 3 subs around the room opposed to stacking them. You lose the potential smoothing benefits with the latter.
Alan P and ahblaza like this.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
By far!

I can't think of any other movie this year that comes close. Interstellar certainly was good but wasn't a Mad Max. John Wick was also very good but still not in the same camp as Mad Max.

You're doing your subs a disservice if you don't let them play Mad Max.
Don't forget about Jupiter Ascending so soon! A rewatch should cure that
Hopinater likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Has anyone here had experience with the s3600i yet?getting ready to buy. Was thinking the s3000i in my 2500cf room.only want to go one sub.need hi output levels when cranking music first and formost.thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Don't forget about Jupiter Ascending so soon! A rewatch should cure that
Oh wow… you're right, I completely forgot about Jupiter Ascending. JA has great bass but it's still lacking compared to Mad Max IMO.
Brian Fineberg and audiofan1 like this.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
Quote:
Oh wow… you're right, I completely forgot about Jupiter Ascending. JA has great bass but it's still lacking compared to Mad Max IMO.
I'm not sure anything can compare to Mad Max but JA at -5 to 0 volume is an onslaught
Hopinater likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Basshead your write up on the Antimode really has me thinking hard. I've been planning on going with XT32 but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't rethink my plans. With my recent purchase of the V3600 and perhaps a 2nd one soon I might be able to get the Antimode dual core at a decent price. I need to get with Tom and see about some things.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I'm not sure anything can compare to Mad Max but JA at -5 to 0 volume is an onslaught
I agree 100%. I really really liked Jupiter Ascending. But I loved Mad Max.
Toe likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr bud View Post
Has anyone here had experience with the s3600i yet?getting ready to buy. Was thinking the s3000i in my 2500cf room.only want to go one sub.need hi output levels when cranking music first and formost.thanks

Go big and never wonder.
k1n3t1k likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Go big and never wonder.
That's true!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Basshead your write up on the Antimode really has me thinking hard. I've been planning on going with XT32 but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't rethink my plans. With my recent purchase of the V3600 and perhaps a 2nd one soon I might be able to get the Antimode dual core at a decent price. I need to get with Tom and see about some things.
I would give it a try especially being you can get a hefty discount!!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Hop, a second V3600 What would your foundation say if it knew the pounding it was taking was going to double? I often thought about another V3600, but with the other two XV15s, I figured I would get the AMDC 2.0. After Basshead and his great review, I decided to work with Jim and Tom, and now have the AMDC on its way. Should be able to have some time Saturday to hook up, and calibrate the subs.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 AM

Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I recently got an S-1500. Running Audyssey, I had to keep turning the gain down because the Audyssey calibration kept ending with a -12 dB level. I called PSA and was told the gain on the new subwoofers is very sensitive, and he said 9 o'clock is a good starting point. I tried around 9 O'clock and got a -7 dB. I would rather have a little more room to increase level for my liking (I like to add 3-6 dB and would rather not have level set that close to 0), so I did another Audyssey run with the gain set to a little past 9:30 position. I was hoping for a -9 or so level but the run came back with -11.5. -11.5 is a high absolute value but it is within the maximum -12, so it is a workable measurement versus the -12 result that were actually likely much more outside the -12.

Is -11.5 Audyssey calibrated line level okay or would I benefit from decreasing the gain a little more until I got closer to a -9 or so result?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Try adjusting the sub's gain and run a quick Audy sweep until you get a -5-8dB trim level, that's a good starting point, 11.5 is too high.
gbreda likes this.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Try adjusting the sub's gain and run a quick Audy sweep until you get a -5-8dB trim level, that's a good starting point, 11.5 is too high.
Not really. As long as it's not maxed out at -12. Then he is good to go
Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
I agree with Brian, -11.5 is actually perfect...you are still "in range" and you have the most upwards adjust-ability possible.
ggsantafe likes this.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not really. As long as it's not maxed out at -12. Then he is good to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I agree with Brian, -11.5 is actually perfect...you are still "in range" and you have the most upwards adjust-ability possible.
I agree. I'm happy anywhere between -8 and -11. Right now Audyssey has me set at -10 and I'm running my subs 5 dB hot so my final setting is -5.
lizrussspike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15