Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 760 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18378Likes

Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
You just won't stop until i'm deaf and broke, will you hop??

sigh.....sad part is i see a perfect spot for a second v3600 just on the other side of the room.

NO! i won't !! i can't....i shouldn't....orrrrrr mayyyyyyybe i should. dammit!
Ha Ha Ha….that's hilarious.

I hope the spot for the 2nd V3600 is not right in front of you and always staring you in the face when you're watching movies. Because if it is…good luck resisting that little voice. My spot was in the back of the room, I didn't even have to look at it and I still heard it beckoning for a V3600.

Stupid little devil voice. It just gets louder and louder until it gets what it wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
In light of this, my suggestion for you would be to consider an upgrade to your low end capability. You are not even scratching the surface of what the XS30 can do 40Hz and up. Maybe something like the S3600, and put a strong house curve in that boosts the bottom end below 30 Hz by 6-8 dB. You may end up getting tons of impact down low for movies without raising your listening levels.
Sounds like a solid plan, bear. Thank you for the advice. I have a few things going on here (many upcoming projects), including some possible electrical upgrades. I’d like to know from the S3600i and V3600i owners (same for the S3000i owners, since they use the same amplifier) whether their sub required a 20 Ampere service. The S3000i caused light flickering, but I’m not sure whether that was caused by vibration or circuit load. I would assume if it was circuit load, I’d see dimming of the lights instead of the flickering.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
…. However, today I am in a little different position. I am no longer thinking about integrating the XS30 into the mix. Whatever sub I get, will most probably be used by itself and not in a dual configuration. Once I decide upon what subwoofer to buy, I’ll probably give the XS30 to my son if the size of that sub isn’t too large for him (he just moved to a new home and now has more cubic footage to deal with).
This sounds like a perfect situation for a shiny new S3600. Big and powerful enough to play all by itself, hitting the lows with bone crushing authority. Yet elegant enough to handle it all with a touch of class. Plus, the son can get a great Christmas gift out of the deal. Win win for everyone.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like a solid plan, bear. Thank you for the advice. I have a few things going on here (many upcoming projects), including some possible electrical upgrades. I’d like to know from the S3600i and V3600i owners (same for the S3000i owners, since they use the same amplifier) whether their sub required a 20 Ampere service. The S3000i caused light flickering, but I’m not sure whether that was caused by vibration or circuit load. I would assume if it was circuit load, I’d see dimming of the lights instead of the flickering.
I'm running two V3600's off the same circuit (I think) and have had no problems. I'll double check to verify they are on the same circuit but I'm 95% certain they are. Even if they aren't on the same circuit neither sub has caused any problems with the electric.
dsrussell likes this.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Ok all doubts that I need more subs just went out the window. If you looking for a comedy (that's funny as hell if your a 30 something with young kids) and has very deep loud bass integrated with music then you MUST see

Neighbors.

Holy bass! And rave music. And laughs!

I am content with my trips
Mike Butny, gbreda and Hopinater like this.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
I have both my subs on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
dsrussell likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Ha Ha Ha….that's hilarious.

I hope the spot for the 2nd V3600 is not right in front of you and always staring you in the face when you're watching movies. Because if it is…good luck resisting that little voice. My spot was in the back of the room, I didn't even have to look at it and I still heard it beckoning for a V3600.

Stupid little devil voice. It just gets louder and louder until it gets what it wants.
unfortunately its right in front of me. it's one of those things where you try not to look in that direction but you keep doing it. maybe i should tape my credit card statement over in that corner as a reminder that i just bought a v3600. then the paper would taunt me as it flaps around in the sound waves caused by the one in the back corner. then i would decide that i need something over there to place in front of the statement to keep it from flapping around.....ok, so there is no good solution.
Alan P and Hopinater like this.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 4197
Quote:
I agree...I don't think the switch to V1800's would be much of an upgrade for you given your SPL capability above 20 Hz.

However, dual or triple S3600's with a nice house curve giving you reference or above down to 10 Hz or below might be noticeable. Those dual opposed sure do make nice inert end tables.
Damn it...you had to go there didn't you?

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 09-29-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Damn it...you had to go there didn't you?
They are very classy looking too
basshead81 likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
You guys amaze me, telling me to keep what I have and be content....... I really don't know what we're chasing, how many times do we actually use our sub's capabilities and to what extent can we tolerate the output, I realize it's a good thing to know you have the head room when you want to actually use it. It's getting pretty bad when Tom has to tell us to keep what we have and turn down a sale, that's integrity and a good business model to run an ID company..

It's funny when Tom said we should build MTMTTMMTMTTMM speaker, and Jim said Jeff will buy it. It sounds crazy but I probably would...... Seriously I think I have finally reached a level of sanity where I can say no to something new and actually get what I have dialed in and finally relax and enjoy. I haven't been around here nearly as much as I have in the past and I really enjoy reading everyone's impressions and trying to justify a new purchase, the good thing this time around it's not me chasing something new. I've saved a lot of money being absent for so long from this thread.

I've kept Scotch (packing) tape in business selling, trading in and buying subwoofers, I went through all my invoices for the last two years and I've had twelve (13 ?) (that I had receipts for ) come and go out of my home, that's ridiculous even for my standards. I admire Bass for sticking to his guns with his 3 XV15s, although he was tempted, but in the end he made the right move. OK guys, sorry for the long read but I have to say as much as I can when I have the time to do so, it's after midnight here in the east.

@Jim (Hop), I thought about you today as I was toeing in my speakers for a little better imaging, you remember when I said I started with extreme toe in and moved them out till I had the widest sweet spot and best center image and you posted your experience doing this and how happy you were with your sound. I saved that post you made to share with some other folks that asked about the PSA speakers. Just to support this method that you ended up with, the axis crossing about 5-6' behind your LP. This five minute read was suggested (Setup of Controlled Directivity Waveguide Speakers) in the DIY forum about five years ago. It's the second link in the first post of the thread.

Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...

Cheers to all Jeffrey
Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Ok all doubts that I need more subs just went out the window. If you looking for a comedy (that's funny as hell if your a 30 something with young kids) and has very deep loud bass integrated with music then you MUST see

Neighbors.

Holy bass! And rave music. And laughs!

I am content with my trips

No matter what subs you have why do I get the feeling this will forever be an internal struggle for you Brian?.....lol
Brian Fineberg and Mike Butny like this.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Class d amps shouldn't draw much from the wall. My crown xls 2500 wide open would only draw 3amps.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
dsrussell likes this.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 531
What kind of amperage does a normal apartment power outlet have and how do I find it out? I found the breaker box in my apt but it just has switches, no labels or anything.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
What kind of amperage does a normal apartment power outlet have and how do I find it out? I found the breaker box in my apt but it just has switches, no labels or anything.
Assuming you own the building, otherwise I think you will be evicted before you find out empirically.
smurraybhm likes this.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Should have 15 amp circuits most likely which is fine

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Change of pace guys.

Tell me your favorite 'go to' movie scene and music selection for evaluating subs?

The first ones you try out immediately after balancing a new sub.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I saw the Facebook announcement on the 21st about the PSA eBay store, did that not end up happening? I don't see any PSA products on there yet.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
In light of this, my suggestion for you would be to consider an upgrade to your low end capability. You are not even scratching the surface of what the XS30 can do 40Hz and up. Maybe something like the S3600, and put a strong house curve in that boosts the bottom end below 30 Hz by 6-8 dB. You may end up getting tons of impact down low for movies without raising your listening levels.
Sure, I drool over S3600 and V1800/3600's but deep down I know that what I have is plenty.

Implementing a house curve is where my thought process is at this time. Most likely an Antimode product to keep it simple and see how it sounds. Getting more impact on movies without raising the overall level is what I think I am after as well.
Mike Butny, ahblaza and dsrussell like this.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Change of pace guys.

Tell me your favorite 'go to' movie scene and music selection for evaluating subs?

Here are some of the ones I use.

Inception (outdoor cafe scene)
WWZ (grenade scene)
Ender's Game (rocket launch scenes)
Mad Max Fury Road (almost all of it... three gunshots around Furoisa's head)
Incredible Hulk (almost all of it...fight with abomination)
ahblaza likes this.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
No matter what subs you have why do I get the feeling this will forever be an internal struggle for you Brian?.....lol
it will be no doubt! cause I LOVE buying things...and the latest and greatest...its why my wife will ALWAYS own her car...and I always (not entirely true) want a lease...so I get a new car every 3 years.

its in my nature I guess...its not doubting what I have...but thinking ooooh the new one "must" be better somehow someway lol

mental issues really haha

JVC RS400 4K PJ | Denon x7200WA 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X |Emotiva XPA-200 gen2 | DIY 1099's LCR| (4) VOLT 6 sidesurrounds/Back Surrounds | (4) VOLT 6 ATMOS | (2) DIY SI-HT18 sealed (2) DIY SI18 DS4 sealed| (2) inuke6000dp | Samsung K8500 4k UHD BDP | 16x11x7.5 sealed HT SadieMax theater...my first DIY build and ongoing projects
Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

my goto scenes:

Oblivion - library scene
Underworld Awakenings - super Lyken
WWZ - grenade
TIH - final battle
HTTYD - final battle
Kung Fu Panda -skadoosh
WotW - emergence
John Wick - nightclub scene
Tron Legacy - entering the grid

JVC RS400 4K PJ | Denon x7200WA 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X |Emotiva XPA-200 gen2 | DIY 1099's LCR| (4) VOLT 6 sidesurrounds/Back Surrounds | (4) VOLT 6 ATMOS | (2) DIY SI-HT18 sealed (2) DIY SI18 DS4 sealed| (2) inuke6000dp | Samsung K8500 4k UHD BDP | 16x11x7.5 sealed HT SadieMax theater...my first DIY build and ongoing projects
Old 09-30-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 778
^^^ I'd like for someone to burn me one or a few of the great bass demo discs that are out there, so that I'm not constantly having to pop movies in and out. I'd pay via PayPal, but the quality has to be better than DVD. Sorry I think I just put a floater out there.

Display - LG 65EF9500
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 170
That was my next question. Do you folks have your favorite scenes on a BD or do you constantly pop in and out discs??
Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
^^^ I'd like for someone to burn me one or a few of the great bass demo discs that are out there, so that I'm not constantly having to pop movies in and out. I'd pay via PayPal, but the quality has to be better than DVD. Sorry I think I just put a floater out there.
they are rips from Blurays....i would burn you a copy but i dont have that capability

Quote:
That was my next question. Do you folks have your favorite scenes on a BD or do you constantly pop in and out discs??
both

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I MAY have something in the works...that will cure my bass needs forever...and MAY bring my house down...stay tuned
Alan P, Hopinater and k1n3t1k like this.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Change of pace guys.

If you have Pulse-ther server room scene, and I always like the barrell roll in FotP!
ahblaza likes this.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
I MAY have something in the works...that will cure my bass needs forever...and MAY bring my house down...stay tuned

Bass teaser!
Brian Fineberg likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I am trying to fight the devil voice inside that is urging me to trade in my dual XS15se's for an S3600i . . . .
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

My humble system:

Vizio E601I-A3; Darbee Darblet; Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD universal blu-ray player; Pioneer Elite SC-67 AVR, Dual PSA XS15se's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, Radeon R280, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
I am trying to fight the devil voice inside that is urging me to trade in my dual XS15se's for an S3600i . . . .
I would…Oops! Did I just say that out loud?

Actually I'm not sure I would. I would check with Tom and see if you would get enough out of that upgrade to make it worth it. If you were only trading in one for a S3600 that would be a no brainer.
sk373 likes this.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This better not turn out to be a "stay tuned" for a week before we find out. Because I want to know now. The suspense is killing me and I just read your post two minutes ago. You guys know full well I have trouble waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver