Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 808 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24101Likes

post #24211 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Now it's a party.

Dual V1800s arrived this morning. 24 hours from order confirmation to my garage. Big thanks to Tom. He was great with answering all my questions and helping me figure out what would work.

Time to get these guys downstairs and fire them up. Any personal fav recommendations for a first boom-listen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psa-v1800s-arrived-20151121.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1071186  

=====
Enjoying Atmos, DTS:X, & a quad dose of PSA these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24212 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
I moved the sub last night closer to the listening position and that improved things further. It is still somewhat localized, but not nearly what it was previously. It also sounds more balanced across the frequency spectrum (crossing over at 80 Hz), but again it still does not sound as good as it did in my old smaller room.

I am not sitting in the center of the room. The MLP is approximately 11 ft from the front wall, and 9 feet from the right side wall.

I ran the anti-mode on the sub first, and then I setup the rest of the speakers from my Marantz SR8002 which has the older Audyssey MultEQ (not XT or XT32). I do know that Audyssey will typically back off the sub trim a few DBs, so I kicked it up 5-6 DBs. I also use a Rat Shack SPL meter to double check the channel balances afterwards. It also shows the sub down a few DBs before I bump it up.

I am just running into what most all of you stated, which is that this is not going to be enough sub for the new room. I did expect it, but until I get new subs in place I just want to make the current one sound the best it can.

What did surprise me was how easily localized the one sub is in this new room.

Thanks for the advice. Once I have two subs I will experiment with one closer to the front and one in the back.
Keep trying different things like placement and setting changes as suggested by Alan- it sounds like you are getting closer-or just order the dual V1800's .

I had a single S3000i 2 feet from my MLP and there was zero localization-but it is a smaller room than yours.
post #24213 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

@oldred , congrats on the new V1800!! Love the setup and always love seeing old Klipsch. The MTM210's was the only speaker to dethrone my old Forte's but those Chorus II look right at home in your room

post #24214 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 913
@mattboyer

War of the worlds pod emergence scene, but there are many other great ones.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #24215 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 4682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattboyer View Post
Now it's a party.

Dual V1800s arrived this morning. 24 hours from order confirmation to my garage. Big thanks to Tom. He was great with answering all my questions and helping me figure out what would work.

Time to get these guys downstairs and fire them up. Any personal fav recommendations for a first boom-listen?
Dual V1800s…gotta love it. I like the way jumped right up to the big boys.

I recommend the following:
Both rocket launch scenes from Ender's Game (2nd one is shorter but hits harder), Grenade scene WWZ, outdoor cafe scene from Inception and the I-REX deleted scene from Jurassic World.

For entire movies I suggest Mad Max Fury Road, The Incredible Hulk, War of the Worlds, Jupiter Ascending and of course…Oblivion! These are just a few to start with but there are many more.

Allow me to beat Tom to the punch and also suggest listening to your favorite music. I think you will be very happy with the Sound Quality that your V1800s will give you.

Have fun.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360

Last edited by Hopinater; 11-21-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Edit…Had to add Oblivion to the list!!!!
post #24216 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 11:44 AM

@JT78681 Nice! Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen that since the theater so that'll be a great demo addition.

=====
post #24217 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 11:48 AM

@Hopinater : Thanks! I'm excited to join the "PSA club" here. I'm expecting a very nice upgrade from my sealed Bravus 12Ds with these. They worked great at my old place, but this new set up is out in the open of a basement with over 9,000 ft^3 of space to fill. They just weren't cutting it anymore.

Looks like I need to beef up my demo library. Fury Road just arrived today but I'll have to start looking around at the other suggestions too.

I'm very curious to see how it does with music too. Good times ahead!

=====
post #24218 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished watching San Andreas.
@mattboyer , add that and Terminator Salvation to your initiation list on those dual V1800's

And welcome to the family
Mike Butny likes this.
post #24219 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 4739
Quote:
@Hopinater : Thanks! I'm excited to join the "PSA club" here. I'm expecting a very nice upgrade from my sealed Bravus 12Ds with these. They worked great at my old place, but this new set up is out in the open of a basement with over 9,000 ft^3 of space to fill. They just weren't cutting it anymore.

Looks like I need to beef up my demo library. Fury Road just arrived today but I'll have to start looking around at the other suggestions too.

I'm very curious to see how it does with music too. Good times ahead!
Saturday delivery? You must be a VIP with fedex!

I think you'll find some subtle differences between the tiny/sealed 12D subs and the V1800s...subtle...

Do the music thing for sure, pop in your fav concert disc and keep cranking the volume until you are in the first row with the kick drum massaging your chest!

Movies? Just be sure it is a GOOD movie. So many posts on the forum similar too...."Well, I just watched fast-furious 19 again. God its awful but that one 5 second scene with 5hz...." Just tempting the apocalypse fairies with that stuff.

Jaws, Pirate Radio, Road Warrior, The Wild One, Rocky, America Graffiti, African Queen...

Of course I have Pantera cranked to 11 right now so who am I too judge..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
post #24220 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

I think you'll find some subtle differences between the tiny/sealed 12D subs and the V1800s...subtle...

Do the music thing for sure, pop in your fav concert disc and keep cranking the volume until you are in the first row with the kick drum massaging your chest!

Movies? Just be sure it is a GOOD movie. So many posts on the forum similar too...."Well, I just watched fast-furious 19 again. God its awful but that one 5 second scene with 5hz...." Just tempting the apocalypse fairies with that stuff.

Jaws, Pirate Radio, Road Warrior, The Wild One, Rocky, America Graffiti, African Queen...

Of course I have Pantera cranked to 11 right now so who am I too judge..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
FedEx home delivery does Saturday deliveries in most area's. One of the reasons I like them better than UPS. The post office does Sunday deliveries for Amazon prime deliveries which is kind of crazy. I remember the post office saying they were going to stop Saturday delivery a few years ago.
ahblaza likes this.
post #24221 of 32593 Old 11-21-2015, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The S1500 is sounding great in my home. Very happy with my purchase. I will definitely purchase again from PSA in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24222 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
FedEx home delivery does Saturday deliveries in most area's. One of the reasons I like them better than UPS. The post office does Sunday deliveries for Amazon prime deliveries which is kind of crazy. I remember the post office saying they were going to stop Saturday delivery a few years ago.
Home delivery is limited to 70 pounds with fedex. Each V1800 is 121 iirc.

The more we use UPS the more I despise it. We just ordered a bunch of crossover parts from Parts Express last week. These guys are a couple hundred miles from us and everything is here in one day...as expected. Last week we got some weird notification that UPS will be handing this shipment off to some new USPS service(forget the name now). Okay, whatever, as long as it gets here. Well it GOT here, like a week later. I mean, I could have WALKED to PE and back quicker. We had to overnight the parts in from a different vendor using fedex express to minimize shipping delays.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #24223 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Now it's a party.

WWZ grenade scene. Short, sweet, and totally ridiculous.
post #24224 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Home delivery is limited to 70 pounds with fedex. Each V1800 is 121 iirc.

The more we use UPS the more I despise it. We just ordered a bunch of crossover parts from Parts Express last week. These guys are a couple hundred miles from us and everything is here in one day...as expected. Last week we got some weird notification that UPS will be handing this shipment off to some new USPS service(forget the name now). Okay, whatever, as long as it gets here. Well it GOT here, like a week later. I mean, I could have WALKED to PE and back quicker. We had to overnight the parts in from a different vendor using fedex express to minimize shipping delays.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, get hold of your contact at Parts Express and insist that they never ever use that UPS to USPS shipping method again. It is the longest and worst shipping method ever created and you have no control over the shipment. You could ship something across the street and it will take a minimum of 7-10 days to get there.

I did just this when a vendor less than 50 miles away did this to me last year. He got an ear full when the product took 10 days to get to me and our customer was down for the item. I had to re-order it and have it shipped UPS like they always did-on their dime but my customer was needlessly down and extra few days. This is just one instance as some Amazon "free shipping" is done this way but since its free you have no say.
post #24225 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Tom, get hold of your contact at Parts Express and insist that they never ever use that UPS to USPS shipping method again. It is the longest and worst shipping method ever created and you have no control over the shipment. You could ship something across the street and it will take a minimum of 7-10 days to get there.

I did just this when a vendor less than 50 miles away did this to me last year. He got an ear full when the product took 10 days to get to me and our customer was down for the item. I had to re-order it and have it shipped UPS like they always did-on their dime but my customer was needlessly down and extra few days. This is just one instance as some Amazon "free shipping" is done this way but since its free you have no say.
I ordered a Blu Ray from an Amazon 3rd party that was in the same city as me (Pittsburgh) thinking I would get it the next day or at worse in two days.

They used that same service and It took 9 days to get to me - 15 miles away!!!!
post #24226 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I ordered a Blu Ray from an Amazon 3rd party that was in the same city as me (Pittsburgh) thinking I would get it the next day or at worse in two days.

They used that same service and It took 9 days to get to me - 15 miles away!!!!
I now have Prime (for at least 1 year-I may not renew that) so its not an issue, but since this is a 3rd party Prime may not be in play here? Did you pay shipping? If so, I am curious if a paid/standard ground shipment is still using this method. I think a pad shipment goes either Fedex or straight UPS but that may be incorrect?

Heck, straight USPS parcel is quicker than this UPS/USPS crap
post #24227 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I now have Prime (for at least 1 year-I may not renew that) so its not an issue, but since this is a 3rd party Prime may not be in play here? Did you pay shipping? If so, I am curious if a paid/standard ground shipment is still using this method. I think a pad shipment goes either Fedex or straight UPS but that may be incorrect?

Heck, straight USPS parcel is quicker than this UPS/USPS crap
I have prime but this was not a prime transaction.

I think the shipping was free on this one.

---just got a delivery from the post office for an Amazon prime transaction. I can't believe they deliver on Sunday.
gbreda likes this.
post #24228 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yup, already took care of that when we didn't get it next day and *tried* to track it. As soon as we saw something associated with usps I knew we were screwed. Right after we ordered from the alternate vendor Jim let PE know not to use this method again. They probably save 50 cents and it goes from one day shipping to "only god knows"...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #24229 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Subtle like a sledgehammer, right?

Yeah, I was really lucky with FedEx. We've got a great delivery guy and he had just been here the day before dropping off an almost as heavy amp so we chatted and maybe he remembered my project. Said he was supposed to wait until Monday, but figured he'd bring it along since it was on his route. My lucky day.

Finally got those beasts dolly'd around and unboxed late last night so had to wait until this morning to fire them up.

First thought at unboxing: "Holy **** they're big."
Second thought: "She's gonna kill me."

Luckily I'm still above ground this morning. My old 12" Bravus's are dwarfed by these monsters (and it's great). The textured satin black finish is excellent and I really like it more than I thought I might after initially searching for a gloss black option to match the other Aperions.

Now time to hit up the Anti-Mode and get these things rolling.

Thanks again for all the great support and the insanely fast shipping/delivery. 24 hours to the minute from order confirmation to front door. Hard to beat that.

=====
post #24230 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Tom, get hold of your contact at Parts Express and insist that they never ever use that UPS to USPS shipping method again.
I've had this issue with the UPS "Sure Post" that gets handed off to USPS. It's a big issue. When we have things ordered from Amazon to another property that doesn't have a mailbox the item gets shipped, comes all the way to town, *then* realizes it can't be delivered by USPS, but instead of being handed back to UPS for the final mile they turn it around and ship back to Amazon.

I've repeatedly complained to Amazon but they say they have no control and the UPS/USPS transition is decided by UPS, not the sender. Sadly that makes every Amazon purchase to that property a gamble.

One solution: getting the "My UPS" premium account (or whatever they call it) gives you an option to automatically upgrade any USPS SurePost deliveries back to UPS instead. It'll either notify you that you've got a SurePost and let you decide case by case or you can autopay $3.50 each time to keep it on a UPS truck. Yep, you have to pay more to restore your shipping back to what you paid to originally have.
oneeyeblind likes this.

=====
post #24231 of 32593 Old 11-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
WWZ grenade scene. Short, sweet, and totally ridiculous.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to watching that now. Added it to my wishlist. Great timing for all these recommendations with Christmas coming up!

=====
post #24232 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Subtle like a sledgehammer, right?

Yeah, I was really lucky with FedEx. We've got a great delivery guy and he had just been here the day before dropping off an almost as heavy amp so we chatted and maybe he remembered my project. Said he was supposed to wait until Monday, but figured he'd bring it along since it was on his route. My lucky day.

The textured satin black finish is excellent and I really like it more than I thought I might after initially searching for a gloss black option to match the other Aperions.

Now time to hit up the Anti-Mode and get these things rolling.

Thanks again for all the great support and the insanely fast shipping/delivery. 24 hours to the minute from order confirmation to front door. Hard to beat that.
The fedex ground guys around here are really great. They have days when we fill up most of their truck(s) with heavy(70-125 pound) boxes and we rarely here anything negative from them. I always say they should be getting paid by the pound.

The texture finish is tough to photograph well. We do get a lot of positive feedback from customers---I think some except more of a truck "bedliner" finish that can be found on some other brands.

Be sure to keep me/us in the loop on setup and initial impressions!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #24233 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 5585
I agree on the finish. I would not want a wood veneer with kids in the house. The standard black sand finish is very durable, does not show dust or finger prints, and has no glare.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #24234 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would not want a wood veneer with kids in the house. The standard black sand finish is very durable, does not show dust or finger prints, and has no glare.
I have no kids and I still prefer the standard finish. I hate a gloss black finish especially for a dedicated room and they tend to have and get endless surface scratches. For me the finish gives the sub a nice solid and "serious" look. Now I can see some using such in their living room wanting another finish based on the room and their installation.
oneeyeblind likes this.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #24235 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4853 Post(s)
Liked: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
I do own REW, but need to get laptop, as computer is in other room. Funny thing is I have the subs set the same as I did in the first room, and the settings were good. I have the XV15se around 1 to 2 o'clock and the V3600 around 9. So in the larger room, XT32 has them much lower. Yes after I get back from shoveling snow, I am going to re-run XT32 a few more times and see if I get a better reading. Thanks Hop!
Why on earth would you find this "funny"?? Different rooms = different modes & different frequency responses.

I would just adjust gains until Audyssey came back with the trims I wanted.
post #24236 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Does it matter where my crossover is set on the v1800? Or should it be wide open

post #24237 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney View Post
Does it matter where my crossover is set on the v1800? Or should it be wide open
highest possible on the sub itself, your receiver should be setting/handling what the crossovers are
kelly.mcaloney likes this.
post #24238 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4853 Post(s)
Liked: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney View Post

Or use the LFE input...it will bypass the internal crossover.
kelly.mcaloney likes this.
post #24239 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

When I was moving stuff around my 2 year old son Pulled the cable out of the sub with everything on, how would i know if it did damage

post #24240 of 32593 Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 4682
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I agree on the finish. I would not want a wood veneer with kids in the house. The standard black sand finish is very durable, does not show dust or finger prints, and has no glare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I have no kids and I still prefer the standard finish. I hate a gloss black finish especially for a dedicated room and they tend to have and get endless surface scratches. For me the finish gives the sub a nice solid and "serious" look. Now I can see some using such in their living room wanting another finish based on the room and their installation.
I agree on all counts. I think the PSA finish looks fantastic and is far superior to a lot of the products I have seen…especially that butt ugly false wood vinyl wrap you find on some subs out there.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread