Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 823 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22461Likes

Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Just as you have done I would encourage anyone interested in any of these types of claims to spend a few minutes researching them. Sub cables change the performance? Research that, look for evidence. Driver cones contribute to the "speed"(sigh) of the subwoofer? Research that, look for evidence. Your amp needs a huge transformer for adequate "midbass"(sigh). Quick, someone let Brian know his 2400-12,000 watt amps are lacking "authority"...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. I find it very disappointing to see this type of information pop up on a competitors thread, followed by the I know what I am talking about due to my education. Never ceases to amaze me how quickly some folks mention their college degrees or training - then assume that no one else reading those posts has a similar background/knowledge. Another thing you learn with age/experience is not everyone applies what they learn correctly in the real world. I will take the high road and not mention the competitor by name, I will only say that up until those posts I respected them and their products. That respect is out the window - where's Shady J when you need him

Any chance I ever tried one of their subs just went to zero, but that was a long shot anyway once I decided to do business with PSA. Still loving my V1800. Happy New Year everyone. Steve
Mike Butny and Roadwar like this.

RIP Cricket - my pug and little buddy Jan. 10, 2017

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 w/ 2500+ blu-rays and growing. Yes I still have HD-DVDs too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 43
ok first thanks to Tom for being very quick and professional to replace my s3000i that was damaged(very interested to see what you find the problem is), it was delivered yesterday and i set it up this morning. used my spl meter i got in and measured both of them individually to 75 db. Then ran audyssesy with both subs on it came together at 83db which then gave me a -6.5 .
so i can safely run it hot by say -3.0? bass sounds great and everything is right in the world again. thanks tom for this excellent product and too everyone happy new year!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 899
^^^ To be fair it was kept in the owner of the company's thread and I don't think he mentioned any other company names. It wasn't posted in someone's thread who was trying to decide whether to go with company A,B,C etc.. In any case you always want to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Also, something to note is that multiple reputable ID companies use this type of amp with DSP shaping.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik

Old 12-31-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post
ok first thanks to Tom for being very quick and professional to replace my s3000i that was damaged(very interested to see what you find the problem is), it was delivered yesterday and i set it up this morning. used my spl meter i got in and measured both of them individually to 75 db. Then ran audyssesy with both subs on it came together at 83db which then gave me a -6.5 .
so i can safely run it hot by say -3.0? bass sounds great and everything is right in the world again. thanks tom for this excellent product and too everyone happy new year!
And then some.

Let 'em rip!!

BTW, getting a gain of 8dB when adding a second sub is pretty much unheard of....6dB is pretty much the max AFAIK. I'm guessing it's just the inaccuracy of your SPL meter...they just aren't super accurate at lower frequencies, not to mention that bouncing needle is kind of hard to read.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
No worries Joe, this stuff pops up all the time. Running a steady state tone into a loudspeaker./subwoofer is like putting a brink on the accelerator of a car. Eventually, things are going to go awry..

The port tune is something to consider but the reality is you don't want to use these types of test tones regardless if there above/below the port tune unless you have plenty of experience with them. These tones cause the voice coil to heat up very quickly. Eventually the adhesives around the coil are going to melt. That's bad news.

Which receiver are you using in the system?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, I’m using a Marantz SR 7007. The test tone was a 4 seconds tone thru the internet up to 100Hz 5 hz increments.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
My wife almost killed my plan today once she found out how big the V3600I was - her exact words to me - people already think that thing in the corner is an end table, I can only imagine what they think that will be. She wanted me to put in the second sub and call it a day. I didn't relent thought and fedex is picking up the PC Ultra on Wednesday. Once I receive confirmation of funds transferred, the V3600I will be ordered. Can't wait!
Before I purchased 2 V3600Ii dual subs on Christmas I saw reviews asking when Tom would be offering a "premium" finish. LOL. I love the finish on these subs. Looks awesome in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I ordered the V3600I this morning, and it shipped just a bit ago. Great service from PSA! They threw in a couple of T-Shirts too.
Both of my subs arrived today, just in time to ring in the New Year tonight.

I had to put my big boy pants on to get these things in the house. They are in position now and they are never getting moved again. I was going to ask Tom if her will cover the bill for a few chiropractor session but since he threw in 2 shirts, I'll let it slide. I knew they were 196lbs before I ordered and I knew the dimensions but you gotta be a man to move these around. The whole time I was setting them up I was praying they power up...lol.

Love how they look in my room. Each V3600i is placed on the rear corners of my room. My 4 Klipsch R-115SW 15" subs now reside along the front wall...2 are corner loaded and the other 2 sit between my RF7-II front mains and my RF-7 II center. I'll try to take some photos once everything is calibrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Tom - when you have time I would really like your thoughts on this statement made in a competitors thread. Thank you. Steve

"ICEPower amps are based on switching mode power supply (SMPS). There is a sizable difference between SMPS based amplifier vs transformer-based amplifeir. SMPS is cheaper to make. SMPS based amplifiers tend to lack the midbass punch and bass authority as compared to the transformer-based amplifiers."
I exposed that guy in that thread. He is a salesman who was using the "I got a customer who says..." as his support. lol.

[quote=Tom Vodhanel;40184722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Tom - when you have time I would really like your thoughts on this statement made in a competitors thread. Thank you. Steve

"ICEPower amps are based on switching mode power supply (SMPS). There is a sizable difference between SMPS based amplifier vs transformer-based amplifeir. SMPS is cheaper to make. SMPS based amplifiers tend to lack the midbass punch and bass authority as compared to the transformer-based amplifiers.http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images...s/rolleyes.gif

Sounds like a typical marketing bullet-point with no basis in reality or evidence to support it? You might as well start talking about how cone material adds "sizzle" to the sub sound or how sub cables will alter system performance

The ICE modules we use are universally(in the industry) praised for their outstanding design, QC and overall sound quality. Also, our implementation of a custom DSP frontend has very real benefits that are clearly audible. Of course adding a custom DSP like this is also very expensive as it (roughly) DOUBLES the cost per watt. So some manufacturers will be hesitant to make this type of investment into their product. That's up to them.

Another important advantage to investing in modern electronics is energy savings as well. I believe you have dual subs? So with an energy compliant amplifier like our ICE modules you'll end up saving hundreds of dollars over a few years versus an out dated analog amp that needs 15-20 watts even in standby.

At the end of the day it is all about design goals and proper engineering to optimize the value along the way.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
As Tom stated in the post, he isn't the only authority on subs that feels this way...see below (Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will break your heart!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
ICEPower amps are based on switching mode power supply (SMPS). There is a sizable difference between SMPS based amplifier vs transformer-based amplifeir. SMPS is cheaper to make. SMPS based amplifiers tend to lack the midbass punch and bass authority as compared to the transformer-based amplifiers.

I have a customer bought Captivator 1400 and commented that even though the movies is good, but the music comes up short. He later bought FVX15 and realize how good the music can be.

Another customer bought our F25 and returned a pair of S3000i. His words is "the F25 is FAR superior on music to the PSA S3000i. I have two of them in testing. The single F25 is very close on movies and much much better on music. I am thinking once I get the F25 dialed in, then add a second I will be in heaven!'
Tony's reply...

Andrew Welker, R&D Manager, Axiom Audio

S&V: How do you feel about the high-efficiency subwoofer amplifier technologies out there, such as Class D, Class G, and Class H? Do you feel a traditional Class AB amp offers better sound? Or do you feel Class AB is still viable?
AW: There’s nothing wrong with any of them, particularly when it comes to subs. The sweet spot is in high-efficiency topologies like D or H. because of the environment we’re asking those amplifiers to work in. Dealing with a high-powered Class AB amp inside a subwoofer enclosure is difficult. You need massive heat sinks to do that.

There’s also a lot of concern about power consumption these days. Class D allows us to get a lot of amplifier power in a small package. They don’t generate a lot of heat. Standby power can be easily a tenth of that of a similarly powered Class AB amp. So all the amps we use are Class D.
Source:
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...vIeKHXA1iv1.99

Chris Hagen, Acoustic Systems Development Engineer, Velodyne

S&V: How do you feel about the high-efficiency subwoofer amplifier technologies out there, such as Class D, Class G, and Class H? Do you feel a traditional Class AB amp offers better sound? Or do you feel Class AB is still viable?
CH: We have to remember that a watt is a watt. If you compare equal-caliber amps, you shouldn’t hear a difference. Also, if a subwoofer is set up right, to keep you out of a certain area of operation [such as overdriving the subwoofer at low frequencies], you won’t hear a difference in the amplifier. With Class AB, you tend to be pushing into the maximum voltage of the power supply rail and it can get close to clipping, but the guy who sets it up should know to keep you out of there.
“If a subwoofer is set up right, to keep you out of a certain area of operation [such as overdriving the subwoofer at low frequencies], you won’t hear a difference in the amplifier.”

It also gets into efficiency. The audio industry doesn’t have the luxury of using inefficient amplifiers to drive speakers anymore. We have to be working toward more efficient speakers and amplifiers. I wouldn’t say Class D or H is the only way, but it’s definitely going there. As we go into the future we’re seeing dwindling resources. If Class D is designed into something and you’re properly limiting input and setting it up for the appropriate power output, it’s much simpler and more efficient.
Source:
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...fclsIyGrW1T.99

Tom Vodhanel, President, Power Sound Audio
TV: It’s been so long since we worked with an analog amp. Not since 2007. Once you understand the capabilities of the new DSP stuff, it’s hard to go back to an analog amp. What may have taken you days or weeks to tweak with different resistors in the analog domain now takes almost no time with DSP.
"Once you understand the capabilities of the new DSP stuff, it’s hard to go back to an analog amp."

We’ve never pushed Class AB as a big sound quality issue, even back in the 1990s. Our first subs were Class AB, so when we first tried digital, the big worry was sound quality. But in every objective test we did—impulse response, group delay, compression, everything we could think of—sound quality issues weren’t showing up. This could be because we were limiting the scope of our research to frequencies under 200 Hz, of course.A lot of sound quality myths with two-channel came about for many reasons. Some of the old guys think if the amp doesn’t weight 100 pounds it’s no good. Some of the earlier switching [Class D] amps had issues at higher frequencies, but because we were using them only for subwoofers, that wasn’t an issue for us. With today’s digital amps—well, you can get crappy samples of everything—but if you’re willing to pay a little extra, the digital [amplifier] platforms these days are just amazing. Even with our less expensive Power X line, all the amps have full DSP capabilities and are safety-certified at the factory.
Source:
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...fshiuXQ4m7W.99

Power Sound Audio: 2 V3600i dual 18" subs; SVS: sub interconnects; Klipsch: 4 R-115SW subs, 5 RF-7 IIs (center, front mains & side surrounds), 6 RB-81 IIs (front wide, front height & rear surrounds); Belden: 10 AWG copper speaker wire; Sewell Direct: Deadbolt banana plugs; ATI Morris Kessler Signature amps: AT6005 & AT4006; Mogami Gold: interconnects; Marantz Pre-amp: AV8802A; Oppo: UDP-203; Roku Ultra; PS4; APC; Mid Atlantic: RCS-27U rack w/fans; Epson: 5040UBe projector; Elite: 125" AT screen.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 899
@Tonycpa2004

You do know what guy you are referring to right? Way to just throw someone's name and company out there. You sure showed him...
audiofan1 likes this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 874
All this talk about the different in amp types and what product I buy or wouldn't buy based on that is just funny to me. Everyone has his/her right on what or who to trust/believe. I choose to believe/trust the man with a PhD in electrical engineer myself. His products already speak for themselves. It is in the designer goal what amp/type of amp he uses to maximize his driver/sub performance. PSA uses Ice amp with dsp shaping, Rythmik designs his own amp all with one goal: to get the best performance out of the chosen driver/enclosure. As a consumer, it's nice to read about amp/driver etc... but at the end, the final product performance is what I would look at.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4481
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post
Sure, -3.0 is fine. I always say...don't take it as a challenge but the DSP enabled amplifiers in our products allow us to make them more/less bulletproof. Glad the replacement got there so quick!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNDT View Post
Tom, I’m using a Marantz SR 7007. The test tone was a 4 seconds tone thru the internet up to 100Hz 5 hz increments.
Thanks.
Let Audyssey do its thing. Do you have a SPL meter by chance?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-31-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Let Audyssey do its thing. Do you have a SPL meter by chance?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yes I do, a Galaxy check mate CM-130.

Last edited by JoeNDT; 12-31-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
^^^ To be fair it was kept in the owner of the company's thread and I don't think he mentioned any other company names. It wasn't posted in someone's thread who was trying to decide whether to go with company A,B,C etc.. In any case you always want to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Also, something to note is that multiple reputable ID companies use this type of amp with DSP shaping.
Every manufacturer is going to have their opinions. As I mentioned, I recommend everyone research the topic(s) and decide for themselves. I certainly don't want any of our customers/fans trolling into the other thread and being combative with the representatives there. And I would hope we won't see vice-versa in this thread. Just a difference of opinion overall.

TRUST ME----I WISH we could get the same performance with a chinese sourced, analog amp. Cost per watt would be a SMALL fraction of what we're paying now. But Jim and I have a combined (30?) years doing this...and we've tried HUNDREDS of amp designs along the way. We know the "real deal" when we measure it/listen to it..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny and Roadwar like this.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I do, a Galaxy check mate CM-130.
One easy check with dual subs is to see how they read individually. Use the subwoofer calibration tone in the processor and set the meter to C Weighting. What do they read combined, #1 only, #2 only?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-31-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycpa2004 View Post

I exposed that guy in that thread. He is a salesman who was using the "I got a customer who says..." as his support. lol.
He is the owner/designer of Rythmik in case you don't know. It is no different than customers' testimonies psa and other company use. I am glad you guys are happy with your subs but bashing other company when you have not heard their products is laughable.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
He is the owner/designer of Rythmik in case you don't know. It is no different than customers' testimonies psa and other company use. I am glad you guys are happy with your subs but bashing other company when you have not heard their products is laughable.
Guys, please take this nonsense somewhere else. I'm sure the Mods will be here shortly.

I don't need anyone defending my opinions for me, I'm sure our competitors feel the same.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-31-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
@Tonycpa2004

You do know what guy you are referring to right? Way to just throw someone's name and company out there. You sure showed him...
I agree with you, I think it was important to keep names out of the discussion even on the PSA thread, but he (aka someone's name/company) sort of threw PSA out there on his thread by specifically naming the product in question. Not hard to figure out the company that made it. His boasting about one buyer's decision was childish IMO. We are all familiar with Cain's journey, choice for subs, his great job explaining the decision a few months ago and kind words for both companies. I am just disappointed to see a "shot" like this taken by the owner of the company quoted above at PSA. Still trying to figure out why since I've never read a similar post on that thread and when I was trying to decide which way to go this fall I read every page of that thread. Don't understand why he ventured down this path to begin with, no one questions the performance of their subs, assuming they've done their homework

As to the other post above about taking the word of the PhD unconditionally - seriously? I'm surrounded by PhDs at work, but would never take what they say without question/documentation/research results - valid research results being an important clarification. You do realize how many remarkable products, etc. where invented by those without a PhD and/or a formal education. You can always find a differing opinion - see sub threads. Finding the facts - see sub threads - is a lot more difficult and is what requires "doing the research" Tom mentioned above.

RIP Cricket - my pug and little buddy Jan. 10, 2017

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 w/ 2500+ blu-rays and growing. Yes I still have HD-DVDs too.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW,

Here is a little installation using SpeakerPower tech....192,000 watts worth. About 260 horsepower?

I can't find the stadium filled with the chinese plate amps though...I'll keep looking...

http://www.soundandcommunications.co...level-stadium/

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny and oneeyeblind like this.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guys, please take this nonsense somewhere else. I'm sure the Mods will be here shortly.

I don't need anyone defending my opinions for me, I'm sure our competitors feel the same.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
^^ Read my posts again, it's not nonsense. Posts from other members are. There is no need to defend your opinion. Everyone has his own.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ Read my posts again, it's not nonsense. Posts from other members are. There is no need to defend your opinion. Everyone has his own.
Right. We get it. Your posts are never nonsense. Others posts are. Thanks!

And all the while a thread that is supposed to be dedicated to our customers and our products get further and further derailed. Mission accomplished tvougn.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BTW,

I can't find the stadium filled with the chinese plate amps though...I'll keep looking...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Good way to throw your competitors out the bus (not for the first time)
Anyway, I thought it was fun reading folks' comments here. I am done now.
Happy New Year! Cheer!

Last edited by tvuong; 12-31-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Let’s get this thread back on track a little .

Just a note to Tom, Jim and PSA owners. My son has owned a passive dbx 15-inch down-firing subwoofer for … like forever. It had great tactile feel being corner loaded and placed near-field. Even in his much larger home (huge, actually), the dbx was still surprising and continued to give nice tactile feel, although he felt it was slightly lacking in that huge, open area. No complaints from the wife ever, even when played very loud (about 6 to 8 dB below reference), plus the kids had no problem sleeping upstairs. This year I gave my son my PSA XS30 as a Christmas present (I had just purchased the S3000i). Big mistake. His wife is now complaining that items are being knocked over upstairs and it is ridiculous how everything shakes so much up there. The kids are having trouble sleeping as well, so my son has to be far more judicious about when he plays movies. I’m also not her biggest fan right now. Oops. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
This year I gave my son my PSA XS30 as a Christmas present (I had just purchased the S3000i).
Just putting a feeler out there - you ever felt the need to adopt another son?

Oh, and just give his wife a late gift of a Costco-size box of velcro strips and tell her you've "fixed the glitch".

Travis
Mike Butny, dsrussell and Roadwar like this.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1n3t1k View Post
Just putting a feeler out there - you ever felt the need to adopt another son?

Oh, and just give his wife a late gift of a Costco-size box of velcro strips and tell her you've "fixed the glitch".

Travis
The solution is simple, just say "but honey, it's a PSA".
Old 12-31-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Some preliminary photos...

One PSA V3600i resides in the back right corner of the room. The second is in the back left corner of the room. All 6 subs are hooked up with SVS Soundpath Interconnect cables. To the right of the sub, along the back wall is my fifth RF7 II that is waiting patiently to replace the RC-64 II as my center speaker.

The 2 Klipsch R-115SW 15" subs that used to reside in the back corners of the room are now placed between (or inside) the 2 RF7 II front main speakers. This is the same location where my JBL S412P towers with built in subs used to be for the last 15 years or so. For the last year, I used those subs combined with 4 corner loaded R-115SW subs, so I am very familiar with these locations. Also, the height of the sub is a perfect fit underneath my AT screen.

Now, all 4 R-115SW subs reside along the front wall...two corner loaded, outside the 2 RF7 II front mains and the other 2 inside the front mains. So, once I replace the center channel speakers as noted above, from left to right, we will have the left corner loaded sub, the left front main, another sub, the center speaker, another sub, the right main and finally the right corner loaded sub. I ordered a Mid Atlantic rack (in transit), so once that arrives I can remove the TV stand and place all the equipment in the rack in the back of the room and replace my center channel speaker as mentioned above.

My Bell'O SP200 36" speaker stands arrived. So, I was able to place my RB-81 II front wide surrounds on them. Those speakers are angled in toward the primary listening position. In the last photos I posted they were temporarily sitting on the corner subs.

The front mains have now been moved out and angled in. They reside under the front heights as shown below. This will leave only the RF7 II center channel sitting behind the AT screen.

Much, much more still to come. Including wire/cable management which will be addressed using the following techniques:
a) Legrand cable raceways will be used to conceal both rear surrounds and both front height surrounds from shelf to floor, Epson Power cord & HDMI cable and the Elite Screen power cord;
b) Electriduct 2" split wire tubing will be used behind the Mid Atlantic AV rack. There will be five separate 5' lengths to group each of the following and keep them apart from one another: 1) power cords, 2) speaker wire, 3) interconnects, 4) HDMI/Video cables and 5) ethernet cables;
c) Velcro one-wrap thin self-gripping ties to separate the wires/cables (as described above) wherever they are not visible; and
d) Gaffer Power professional premium grade gaffer tape to separate the wires/cables (as described above) wherever they are visible.

I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year! Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.
dsrussell and Hopinater like this.

Power Sound Audio: 2 V3600i dual 18" subs; SVS: sub interconnects; Klipsch: 4 R-115SW subs, 5 RF-7 IIs (center, front mains & side surrounds), 6 RB-81 IIs (front wide, front height & rear surrounds); Belden: 10 AWG copper speaker wire; Sewell Direct: Deadbolt banana plugs; ATI Morris Kessler Signature amps: AT6005 & AT4006; Mogami Gold: interconnects; Marantz Pre-amp: AV8802A; Oppo: UDP-203; Roku Ultra; PS4; APC; Mid Atlantic: RCS-27U rack w/fans; Epson: 5040UBe projector; Elite: 125" AT screen.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 43
thinking about tackling diy subs in 2016 along with rew. just researching now but was going to try and build a um18 would that be easy to incorporate with the s3000is or should i look at a 15 for my first build. probably try and build one around my first vacation in march
Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
One easy check with dual subs is to see how they read individually. Use the subwoofer calibration tone in the processor and set the meter to C Weighting. What do they read combined, #1 only, #2 only?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Ok I ran the sound lever test using my Galaxy CM-130 and this was the results, approximation. Said approximation because the readings keep changing and I got what I think is the peak, which is the largest reading that continue repeating itself in between the range. For both 80 Db, L 71 Db and R 75 Db. The right sub is in a corner and the left in front of a straight wall. The SPL meter was 12’6” front the center of the subs and the AV bass level was set at -5.5. Subs gain level and delay set at 12:00 o'clock position, crossover to max 150hz and room size to large.

Thank You

Last edited by JoeNDT; 01-01-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
A novice would not know what steady state tones are...you apparently know just enough to be dangerous!!

No offense, this is how we all learn!

Stick with source material like Bass music(Bass Syndicate, Techno Bass, Beat Dominator etc...) or Movies that have a lot of sub <20hz if you want to hear/feel the sub dig into the infrasonic range. Basically a short 5hz burst would not damage a driver, but if you have a steady state 5hz tone playing for a long duration it can heat up the voice coil enough to melt it. Not really the manufacturers job to inform people about this because test tones are not something that a subwoofer is designed for. Test tones are for engineers that know what they are doing and have a test bench with oscilloscopes and what not that design speakers/amps/electronics...etc.

Enjoy your new PSA equipment!

Thank you Sir, will definitely do!! Lesson learned…..
basshead81 likes this.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Congrats on the new subs. If you get a chance take some pics of them I would love to see what those new 15V subs look like in a home. Nothing like a little sub porn to usher out an old year.
Hopinater, you’re a sick man…….asking me for sub porn at this stage…………But I like it!!
So here is a couple of some temporary set up. Still need a stand for my MT 210’s and still need to do some sub crawling.

Hopinater likes this.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Hopinater, you’re a sick man…….asking me for sub porn at this stage…………But I like it!!

So here is a couple of some temporary set up. Still need a stand for my MT 210’s and still need to do some sub crawling.

Your video needs to catch up with your audio!! Looks great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMSUNG UN607150- OPPO BDP 103D- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR7008 - APPLE TV -MONSTER POWER HTS2600MK -DIRECTV GENIE -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY 50'S L/R -PSA S1500- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
Nice setup Joe! If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15