Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 841 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13769Likes
post #25201 of 25226 Unread 02-07-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 3378
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyurM View Post
Hi Tom,

Quick and dumb questions: what would happen if I run V3600i in sealed mode? Do you need to use some special kind of foam plugs to seal the port, or any garden variety foam is okay?

I had to move my sub to a terrible corner location and I am experimenting around to smooth out some distortions in lower octaves.
Plain and simple...No. Plugging port will not do anything but lower output. The amplifier still has it's dsp signal set to roll off at the same frequency. You could still potentially damage the drivers at extreme levels below the tuning point where the drivers unload.

smooth out distortion in lower octaves?
ahblaza and KeyurM like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25202 of 25226 Unread 02-07-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
I realize there is a following of loyal fans, and I want to join the group and support American workers, but not blindly.

So is there any professional independent testing so I can compare apples to oranges? Otherwise the HSU is my 2nd choice. Thanks
I too was looked HSU when considering what to buy for my second sub after reading David Vaughan's excellent review in S&V of the new at that time VTF-15H MK2. Plus he had integrated it successfully with the exact sub I own. David was even kind enough to answer a few questions for me - he is a forum member if you didn't know.

The gold standard for independent sub testing is Data-Bass and you are not going to find any new sub offered by the ID or retail sub companies reviewed yet. Given the number of new offerings put out by PSA, RA, HSU, Rythmik it's hard if not impossible for Josh to keep up with a few from each let alone all of them. The other person that does reviews who isn't associated with a publication that accepts ad dollars from those whose products they review is Jim Wilson - another forum member - whose reviews are posted on a different forum. Jim has reviewed some newer offerings but he spends a month sometimes more with them, so he too can't keep up and still do a good job. He is scheduled to review the S1800, but it will be at least a few months before he finishes his analysis/review - hopefully?

Like others I agree there are a lot of great ID options in sub land right now. What attracted me to PSA was this thread (I read a number of different products threads from start to finish), the fact that it founders came from another well respected competitor - SVS - where they designed one of the more "famous" subs to-date - the Ultra. Read Josh's 10 myths regarding subs, the one regarding driver size helped me to zero in on an 18" sub, coupled with Tom's willingness to discuss the products/answer my questions. Icing on the cake was the trial period with free shipping both ways, if for some reason it didn't work for me a phone call and placing the sub at my front door was all I needed to do.

I don't think there are many "blind" loyalists on any of the sub threads ex one who focuses solely on approximate output comparisons of all these new subs as his criteria for what is good to great

Most of us did our homework, talked to the different companies and then spent our hard earned money on the one that each of us thought would be the best. No professional review required, in fact many of those I question since all of them accept advertising $ from those whose products get reviewed - as mentioned above. Plus when have you ever read a professional review that said this product is bad? Yes there are a few reviewers I respect who work for those publications, David and Kal being the two. However I would never eliminate a product from consideration due to the lack of one. User experience and my experience when I talk to the company whose products I am considering are FAR more important IMO. The trial period being the other, delivery times being met as promised, and free shipping icing on the product.

Sorry for the ramble, you hit a nerve, which isn't a bad thing, just wanted to give you some input to add to your analysis. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy the HSU or whatever you end up buying. Just please reconsider the decision criteria regarding review required.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks

Last edited by smurraybhm; 02-07-2016 at 11:38 AM.
post #25203 of 25226 Unread 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyurM View Post
Hi Tom,

Quick and dumb questions: what would happen if I run V3600i in sealed mode? Do you need to use some special kind of foam plugs to seal the port, or any garden variety foam is okay?

I had to move my sub to a terrible corner location and I am experimenting around to smooth out some distortions in lower octaves.
Don't do that. The results in terms of driver excursion would be hard to predict. If you want to attenuate the deeper bass turn the ROOM SIZE to small. Much better solution..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and KeyurM like this.
post #25204 of 25226 Unread 02-07-2016, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by roque13 View Post
So I have a question and please ignore my ignorance if this has been asked. I'm looking at replacing my HSU VTF-3 MK4 with possibly a V1500 or V1800. I'm looking at the site and the specs are relatively the same. What difference will I see for the $200 difference? My main use is movies, and want the most for my money. I've been happy with my HSU but I want something that's going to go lower at higher SPL. I'm also looking at the VTF-15 MK2 for reference. Thanks for any help and sorry if this is a repetitive question.
Hello,

for this one I can give you a proper answer.

I used to own an HSU VTF-15H MK1 since 2013 and was really happy with it - nothing at all wrong with it other than I wanted "more".

Having said this, I did upgrade to 2x V1800 - which by itself is no valid comparison, but: I did start with one V1800 in direct comparison to the HSU and - of course - it did provide much more headroom, low level bass and overall more "volume".

Bringing the 2nd V1800 into the game only increased the change more dramatic, as expected.

I really like these two subs, their output and their build level and not to forget: their size!

Long story short: going from 1x HSU VFT-15H MK1 (HSU offers now the MK2 with 3db more output, I cannot comment on this!) to 1x V1800 is definitive being an upgrade.

For your comparison - I took a picture of the gang ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151121_095653.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	1236257  

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
post #25205 of 25226 Unread 02-07-2016, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am a newbie, my first post on this forum.
Looking to setup a home theater with projector soon. The room size will be 21x13x9.
After reading this forum I am thinking to buy dual 15S subs for my HT. The speakers will be Ascend Sierra-2 book shelfs. Music is the primary focus. We also watch movies, but don’t need earth shattering bass. I would be very happy if I get a musical/tight/quality bass in this room. So is there any reason I need to go for bigger S1800 or any other subs in my medium size room?

I also was searching for reviews on the quality of bass that 15s puts out. Finally found a review of XS15SE. That looked great. Does 15S also give the same or better performance being the same driver and better amp ? I am assuming enclosure of 15S play its part too.

I understand the recommendation of trying out subs first before we choose. I would like to avoid that for various reasons, Weight being the primary reason. Testing subs properly is difficult too. They have to be positioned in such a way that it gives you quality performance. We can’t do direct comparison with another sub at the same time. Since the differences are very less between all the ID companies I need to rely on some scientific test done by some experienced person. I am hoping there will be some reviews somewhere soon.

In the past, I owned a single HSU VTF-2 MK3 in L-shaped living room. It served me well for 6 years until its bash amp failed. For the last 1.5 years I did not have any subwoofers. This is another reason why I am choosing PSA, since they have 5 yr warranty on Amps and the new generation digital amps not likely to go bad. Is that right? If I spend 2K on subs I expect them to serve me for many years.

I am also surprised by Tom’s recommendation on a single sub. What I learned from many forums and Dr. Tools book is, two smaller subs properly positioned in a room will beat a single big sub for seat to seat consistency and somewhat flat response before we EQ it . so is there a reason to choose any other single PSA sub for my medium room over dual 15s.

Thanks
Manu
post #25206 of 25226 Unread 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vazhipokkan View Post
The room size will be 21x13x9.
After reading this forum I am thinking to buy dual 15S subs for my HT.
My (sealed) room is 19.5' x 16.5' x 10' and I have two XS15se subs (its older brother) and I'm more than happy. Even one (corner loaded) will easily shake the picture frames mounted on the outside wall of the room. Now I'm not a "basshead" as I look for the bass to blend into the presentation. Currently I have both installed at the middle of the side walls and my first take is they are smoother with less output although I still have more headroom than I could use.

Regarding one or two. I was happy with only one. I purchased the second since they were going EOL and for cosmetics. Plus perceived (or actual) localization.

Home Theatre Tweets
16x9 120" | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W & AudioSource AMP 110 | OpenELEC/Kodi HTPC Build

Last edited by Charles R; 02-07-2016 at 12:58 PM.
post #25207 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
S1800

Pulled the trigger on one of the S1800 preorders! I have been running without a sub in my 2.0 system for a few years and finally decided to buy after years of window shopping. My last sub that i sold years ago was a Definitive Technology prosub 800, with an 8" driver so I am hoping this thing will really perform well in my 1800 CuFt room. My usage is almost 100% HT but the room size pushed me to the sealed unit. I am hoping to have the unit by Saturday as I am located about 120 miles away from PSA in Ohio.
post #25208 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I too was looked HSU when considering what to buy for my second sub after reading David Vaughan's excellent review in S&V of the new at that time VTF-15H MK2. Plus he had integrated it successfully with the exact sub I own. David was even kind enough to answer a few questions for me - he is a forum member if you didn't know.

The gold standard for independent sub testing is Data-Bass and you are not going to find any new sub offered by the ID or retail sub companies reviewed yet. Given the number of new offerings put out by PSA, RA, HSU, Rythmik it's hard if not impossible for Josh to keep up with a few from each let alone all of them. The other person that does reviews who isn't associated with a publication that accepts ad dollars from those whose products they review is Jim Wilson - another forum member - whose reviews are posted on a different forum. Jim has reviewed some newer offerings but he spends a month sometimes more with them, so he too can't keep up and still do a good job. He is scheduled to review the S1800, but it will be at least a few months before he finishes his analysis/review - hopefully?

Like others I agree there are a lot of great ID options in sub land right now. What attracted me to PSA was this thread (I read a number of different products threads from start to finish), the fact that it founders came from another well respected competitor - SVS - where they designed one of the more "famous" subs to-date - the Ultra. Read Josh's 10 myths regarding subs, the one regarding driver size helped me to zero in on an 18" sub, coupled with Tom's willingness to discuss the products/answer my questions. Icing on the cake was the trial period with free shipping both ways, if for some reason it didn't work for me a phone call and placing the sub at my front door was all I needed to do.

I don't think there are many "blind" loyalists on any of the sub threads ex one who focuses solely on approximate output comparisons of all these new subs as his criteria for what is good to great

Most of us did our homework, talked to the different companies and then spent our hard earned money on the one that each of us thought would be the best. No professional review required, in fact many of those I question since all of them accept advertising $ from those whose products get reviewed - as mentioned above. Plus when have you ever read a professional review that said this product is bad? Yes there are a few reviewers I respect who work for those publications, David and Kal being the two. However I would never eliminate a product from consideration due to the lack of one. User experience and my experience when I talk to the company whose products I am considering are FAR more important IMO. The trial period being the other, delivery times being met as promised, and free shipping icing on the product.

Sorry for the ramble, you hit a nerve, which isn't a bad thing, just wanted to give you some input to add to your analysis. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy the HSU or whatever you end up buying. Just please reconsider the decision criteria regarding review required.
+++ I felt that this response simply needed repeating, because I found myself nodding like a bloody fool in agreement at every paragraph that I was reading . Thanks, smurraybhm.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #25209 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader8806 View Post
Pulled the trigger on one of the S1800 preorders! I have been running without a sub in my 2.0 system for a few years and finally decided to buy after years of window shopping. My last sub that i sold years ago was a Definitive Technology prosub 800, with an 8" driver so I am hoping this thing will really perform well in my 1800 CuFt room. My usage is almost 100% HT but the room size pushed me to the sealed unit. I am hoping to have the unit by Saturday as I am located about 120 miles away from PSA in Ohio.
The S1800 will be a HUGE upgrade to your sub! You won't have any regrets, just surprises!!!
Enjoyds!

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #25210 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am a newbie, my first post on this forum.
Looking to setup a home theater with projector soon. The room size will be 21x13x9.
After reading this forum I am thinking to buy dual 15S subs for my HT. The speakers will be Ascend Sierra-2 book shelfs. Music is the primary focus. We also watch movies, but don’t need earth shattering bass. I would be very happy if I get a musical/tight/quality bass in this room. So is there any reason I need to go for bigger S1800 or any other subs in my medium size room?

I am also surprised by Tom’s recommendation on a single sub. What I learned from many forums and Dr. Tools book is, two smaller subs properly positioned in a room will beat a single big sub for seat to seat consistency and somewhat flat response before we EQ it . so is there a reason to choose any other single PSA sub for my medium room over dual 15s.

Thanks
Manu
1)Dual S1500s should be plenty. You'll have plenty of headroom for action movies at moderate to moderately loud levels. Most would even say loud to VERY loud levels.

2)I'm not sure which post you are referring too with regards to me recommending one versus two woofs? Most of these inquires come down to budget really. Let's say dual S1500 versus a single S3000i.

PROs and CONs.

The two options are going to share similar extension and headroom. The dual S1500s will have the *potential* to provide smoother, more even bass coverage across a variety of seating positions. The single S3000i is less expensive and offers some "future proofing" as you can upgrade the system performance by simply adding a second S3000i. If you start with dual S1500s you may be in "start all over mode" later as most don't want more than two large subwoofers in the room.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #25211 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
1)Dual S1500s should be plenty. You'll have plenty of headroom for action movies at moderate to moderately loud levels. Most would even say loud to VERY loud levels.

2)I'm not sure which post you are referring too with regards to me recommending one versus two woofs? Most of these inquires come down to budget really. Let's say dual S1500 versus a single S3000i.

PROs and CONs.

The two options are going to share similar extension and headroom. The dual S1500s will have the *potential* to provide smoother, more even bass coverage across a variety of seating positions. The single S3000i is less expensive and offers some "future proofing" as you can upgrade the system performance by simply adding a second S3000i. If you start with dual S1500s you may be in "start all over mode" later as most don't want more than two large subwoofers in the room.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thank you Tom for clarifying it. I think your single sub recommendation was based on value now I read the post again . (post# 25188)
Do you see any difference in bass quality between 15s and S1500 for music other than loudness in certain frequencies ? are both equally "musical" ?

Thanks
post #25212 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 3378
It's the same sub just in a different cab configuration.
mdanderson likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #25213 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Tom for clarifying it. I think your single sub recommendation was based on value now I read the post again . (post# 25188)
Do you see any difference in bass quality between 15s and S1500 for music other than loudness in certain frequencies ? are both equally "musical" ?

Thanks
As basshead noted, pretty much the same sub with different driver orientation(which doesn't effect performance). Same amp, same driver, just about the same internal enclosure volume. I don't anyone could pick them apart in a listening session.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #25214 of 25226 Unread 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Hey guys

I've been roaming a lot of sub forums lately and came across a lot of interesting and informative reading, some laughable as well. One of particular interest was taking measurements at 100 dB, the relevance at this level, assuming you have an in room noise floor of 40 dB puts you 60 dB above that...

Taking measurements at this level will yield more accurate results in some critical areas of interest to a lot of folks. I wasn't aware of the importance of sweeps at this level especially when fine tuning your room's bass response, waterfalls for example where decay times are of interest. Measuring at 100 dB (60 dB above NF) will not only give you more accurate decay times but will show you how flat your sub really is down at 15-20Hz when played at this volume.

I've read so many times from many people saying their sub is flat down to 5-10Hz, the question is, at what level (60-70dB)? At 70 dB you can not feel or hear 5-10Hz, but at 100 dB with reasonable distortion playing at 10Hz, that's something to brag about along with some shaking foundations.....OUTPUT, OUTPUT, (bang for buck), so many base their sub purchase solely on just that, because the specs say so....at what level does the output become noise.....

Just rambling here guys, taking a break from trying to get my subs dialed in, I've been MIA for so long that I'm rusty using REW and trying to catch up on everything I forgot (not much), I refuse to give up though.

On a side note: great game last night even the commercials were bad, I won't comment on the half time show....loss for words.........

Cheers Jeffrey
klh007 and Mike Butny like this.
post #25215 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM

Liked: 1
Need Help Choosing a Sub

Hey Guys. Newbie here. Having my basement finished and need some advice on a sub. I have attached a pic of my "future" layout, but essentially I will have MA fronts (Silver 10s), MA Silver center, surrounds (silver fx) and CT265fx rears (in ceiling). The theater area will be 15x14 with an 8' drop ceiling. There is an additional 20' behind my MLP. I am a bit limited in sub height because the 120" projection screen is only about 26" from the floor. I intend on buying 1 sub to start, but have wired for a 2nd future sub (all pre-wiring is complete). My sub location options were limited, so one or both subs need to be up front. I have been looking at the v1800 due to size, output, etc. Does that seem like a good fit given my room dimensions? Other suggestions? Listening will be 70/30 movies/music. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Layout.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1241153  
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #25216 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordanwi View Post
Hey Guys. Newbie here. Having my basement finished and need some advice on a sub. I have attached a pic of my "future" layout, but essentially I will have MA fronts (Silver 10s), MA Silver center, surrounds (silver fx) and CT265fx rears (in ceiling). The theater area will be 15x14 with an 8' drop ceiling. There is an additional 20' behind my MLP. I am a bit limited in sub height because the 120" projection screen is only about 26" from the floor. I intend on buying 1 sub to start, but have wired for a 2nd future sub (all pre-wiring is complete). My sub location options were limited, so one or both subs need to be up front. I have been looking at the v1800 due to size, output, etc. Does that seem like a good fit given my room dimensions? Other suggestions? Listening will be 70/30 movies/music. Thanks!
V1800 looks like a good option to me with 4000 ft^3 to fill. Especially if you plan on moving to duals, they should work very well for you. If you wanted to even bigger, the V3600's would be an option as you can lay them down on their side. But I don't think you will be short changing yourself with the V1800's.
post #25217 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
I've always thought it would be cool if PSA could figure out a way to "officially" offer a 1 year upgrade policy, even if it were not to include shipping cost.
post #25218 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
I think it should work quite well in your new theater - congrads by the way. My room is very similar in size and I have no doubt for a short time I would be happy with just one V1800 - given I had the SVS already I'm doing the mix to match duals. Front location should work out fine, I would expect that you may find the single sub sounds better located between your L/R fronts or in the corner. Lacking REW, the sub crawl should do the trick. Remember to give Tom a call to discuss and let us know what/when you order, more importantly how it all sounds once completed.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
post #25219 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 357
My V3600I is making a slight hum, only audible from a short distance, but odd nonetheless. I've never had this issue with any of my other subs. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be a ground loop issue, as it only has a 2 prong plug?

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I; SVS PB13 Ultra FOR SALE
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #25220 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 2750
Quote:
I think the V1800 would be great choice for your room size. I also think that down the road dual V1800's would most likely be something you might consider. But a single V1800 is a great place to start and see what you think.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #25221 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
My V3600I is making a slight hum, only audible from a short distance, but odd nonetheless. I've never had this issue with any of my other subs. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be a ground loop issue, as it only has a 2 prong plug?
I haven't had this issue with either one of my V3600's but it certainly sounds like it could be something going on with your cable. If you can try switching out your sub cable and see if that makes a difference. A while ago I had a problem with a hum (on a different set up) and switching the sub cable solved it.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #25222 of 25226 Unread 02-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
If you have REW and a mic, use those to see if it is at 60hz.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
post #25223 of 25226 Unread Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Where is your gain set on the sub?

Does the hum go away when you disconnect the subwoofer cable?
post #25224 of 25226 Unread Yesterday, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Try disconnecting the cable as Alan suggested, turn up the gain and see if the hum is still audible, that will eliminate one culprit. Try a different outlet if hum persists with no cable attached, if possible use an outlet not on the same circuit as your system. Did this just start or was it always like that and you just noticed it now?

Last edited by ahblaza; Yesterday at 12:13 PM.
post #25225 of 25226 Unread Yesterday, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Well...no thanks to YOU guys whatsoever, but I got the S1500 duals set up and dialed in...even better than expected. Thanks Tom for continuing to be so subhuman-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Hey gents...

So I've been a VERY happy owner of an S1500 for a while now, and this past week I decided I finally wanted to go Dual. The very first "real" audio rig I ever heard was back in the early 90s, a pair of Monitor Audio (before they went more mass market) 2-ways and a pair of Vandersteen subs. Why it's taken me this long to go duals, I have no idea, but I finally pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I'm doing things a bit differently than I thought I would...I love these sealed beauties for music so much that I'm actually moving both of them to the living room to pair with my Maggie 3.6s in a 2.2 configuration. It didn't hit me until the 2nd S1500 arrived today (the storm tried to steal it, but it finally showed up!) that I probably need to take a minute to consider how to calibrate these things.

I'm going to connect the subs to the L/R pre-outs on the Peachtree Nova 125. I'm assuming I should calibrate each sub individually to the mains, but do you guys suggest just doing this by ear, or would you recommend finding some test tones on youtube or a disc or something? The Nova doesn't have bass management, so I'll use the crossover on the PSA (Im guessing somewhere in the high 40s).

I have a small 2.1 rig in the bedroom that I calibrated by ear and it sounds great, and I can probably just do that with the Maggie rig, but thought I'd pick some brains in here first.

Thanks!
basshead81 and Hopinater like this.
post #25226 of 25226 Unread Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Update 2-11-2016.

All speaker orders have been fulfilled and all speakers are currently in stock. A new order would ship within 1-2 business days.

The S1800 cabinets shipped today, should be here tomorrow. As usual we're pre-coding the amps and getting ducks in a row so we can get all pre orders shipped same day with any luck. (Any distributors following along we'll be able to ship all of the pallets on order by the end of next week).

ALSO---please note that the pre-order pricing goes away tomorrow. So if you order now, you get immediate shipping(within 1-2 business days) and can still take advantage of the $1149 pricing..

The V3600i is out of stock for a couple/3 weeks.

All other subwoofers (15S, S1500, S3000i, S3600i, T18ht, 15V , V1500, and V1800) are all *good* stock at the moment.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread