Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 843 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13781Likes
post #25261 of 25262 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Tom is right.

Most ~$1000 newer ID subs would match or even exceed PB-13 Ultra's output < 50 Hz.

Sure from 16 ~ 40 Hz, PB-13 Ultra would have 2~3 dB advantage, but it should, for double the price.

Now, if you find a V1500 not enough, just get another V1500 and the combined output from 16 ~ 80 Hz would blow PB-13 Ultra out of the water.

So take advantage of the perks of PSA and see if V1500 is enough for you.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM 703/LSiM 706c/RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25262 of 25262 Unread Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 153
well...I've had the s3600i sub in my system now for just shy of two weeks...

I wanted to live with it for awhile, experiment with placement and settings before posting any impressions.

like I have stated before, the size of the s3600i is substantial, but in my dark room, placed directly behind my left front speaker, the black finish helps it blend in nicely...well, as nicely as one can expect.

currently I have the subs settings as follows...

gain...9 o'clock
delay...0
crossover...150/max
room size...1 o'clock (for now)

when I ran xt32 I set the sub levels at 80db on the s3600i and the pair of Trinity subs. audyssey set the PSA at -8.5 and the Trinity's at -7.5...I bumped both settings 6db.

whenever I make a system change, the first thing I do is play music. a lot of music. four days worth in this instance. tracks that I have used for years to judge bass and kickdrum...well, all drums really, and the ability of a sub or subs to blend seamlessly with the rest of the system.

before I continue, I wanna take just a minute to describe the Trinity subs. each one has two 14" active drivers and four 14" passive radiators, driven by a 1500w class D amp. they measure 18x18x32 and weigh 185lbs ea...def tech gets no forum love (their ad copy is copious at best) but the Trinity is (was, now discontinued) a solid BM entry.

that said, adding the PSA s3600i to my setup was an absolute eye (ear?) opener!

each track that I played just put a goofy looking grin on my face (according to my wife, anyway)...
I ran the gamut...steely dan, lyle Lovett, green day, daft punk, of montreal, Bruno mars, ricky lee jones, metallica, fourplay, g.love, patricia barber, ratatat, Gordon goodwins phat band...et.al
I can't emphasize how familiar I am with these recordings...but with the PSA's iron-fisted grip taking control it was like hearing these songs fresh and anew...I know, that sounds like a tired cliché, but the way that the kickdrum just POUNDS with absolute force, then just stops on a dime, with NO bloat or overhang whatsoever, is at once both impressive and, at -8, intimidating as hell...!!
I remember going to a Tom Petty concert at Riverbend in Cincinnati. it's an outdoor venue...and I can't forget during the soundcheck, the drum tech hit the kickdrum and it was so tight, so clean, so POWERFUL that I was amazed. I always wondered why I cannot duplicate that experience in my little (24x14x8) room at home...

well, ladies and gents...

I CAN NOW...!

yet given all that brute force, subtle textures are not lost...
the woody reverb in the upright bass on roy orbison's "black and white night" bluray seem more visceral than ever...as does the growl on david piltch's renderings on holly cole's "temptation" cd...just outstanding integration.

suffice to say PSA gets an A+ with the s3600i's musical ability...

after four days of music, I finally got around to some movie demo's...

can I just cut to the point......A+++

oblivion...wwz...dark knight rises...wotw...

power and finesse=my jaw on floor!!
the s3600i just grabs my house by the lapels and shakes the hell out of it...and sends me into some euphoric state...

yep...that goofy grin again

the s3600i is the 13th sub I have owned. it is the best sub I have owned. it is my first PSA sub. it will not be my last PSA sub.

all of this listening has included the Trinity subs...I cant help but imagine removing at least one of them and adding another PSA s3600i...!!

I think I might pop over to the PSA site...

at the zenith of his nadir...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page