Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 844 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25972Likes

post #25291 of 33790 Old 02-18-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Carrick, since you have cats I would go 15v...
Good point, I agree...

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25292 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
Oh don't let any unfunny jokes keep you from sticking around. The guys around here really are nice, you just have to ignore the sarcasm. Whichever sub you choose, there are folks here who will be more than happy to help you out in getting it set up, heck.. Tom himself I'm sure would give his advice if you asked. $1000 price point, I'd personally go the 15V route, or for $1,099 the V1500. Regardless, good luck to you in your search, and I hope you stick around and let us know what you end up getting.
Quote:

Thanks for your kind words... I am thinking to put the sub inside a pet cage but without the door so it doesn't rattle. That should do the trick.

$1000 for a sub. Such a tough decision so I am going to wait 3-6 months and maybe some of these subs will go on sale so I can get two.
post #25293 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Just for my information, what is the topic with subs and cats? We have two and they both enjoy from time to time sleeping on the subs, getting their massage

They don't play with either the cover or the reflex channel of my two V1800s.

Yamaha CX-A5100 | 2x Emotiva XPA-5 & XPA-3 | PSA MTM-210T | PSA-MTM210C | PSA-MT110SR | 2x PSA V1800 | AM 8033-SII
Sony 65" 4K| Apple-TV | Network stuff | a lot of wires | Understanding & forgiving GF - priceless!

post #25294 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
I agree about both. Shady was relentless he really hated either PSA, Tom or both with a passion.
But I did enjoy the "discussions" he and Chucky had regarding Chucky's infamous output charts from the sky. Output based on this, based on that, based on numbers from my xxx.
As for his relentless attacks on Tom/PSA, he loved those product output charts on PSA's website, I give him full credit for my decision to buy a PSA sub. If he hadn't been such a fanatic I would have never dug as deep as I did when trying to figure out what to order. Thanks Shady, you helped me make a great decision and RIP.
As for Brian - welcome back "buddy" and I'll see you on the other side
ahblaza likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other toys
post #25295 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
I'm disabled and it's not easy for me to pack up 100 pound speakers. I have to make the right decision the first time based on what I find here.

This is humble to admit that your product is similar to other ones, but then your self promotion kicked in soon after. LOL.
I consider details like, customer service, Made-in USA, energy compliance, DSP capabilities, warranty, free shipping versus $300(?) to audition a product to be important enough to mention when comparisons like this are discussed. You call it "self promotion". I call it "stating the facts"...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza and Roadwar like this.
post #25296 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words... I am thinking to put the sub inside a pet cage but without the door so it doesn't rattle. That should do the trick.

$1000 for a sub. Such a tough decision so I am going to wait 3-6 months and maybe some of these subs will go on sale so I can get two.
Never say never but don't hold your breath for price drops at Power Sound Audio. We just absorbed cost increases from all three of the bigs (amps, cabinets, drivers) in the last 45 days. We'll do well just to keep things as they are.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Billy p likes this.
post #25297 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Disabled or not, I don't intend to cause a ruckus in the OFFICIAL PSA thread, you have ShadyJ for that. Tom has answered all my questions and I am grateful, but I am gonna get out of this gathering of the faithful before I get beaten to a pulp.

So for max extension and my $1000 budget it looks like there is only one option. Thanks
Anytime someone has the *slightest* difference of opinion with you...you use triggers like "the faithful" and "beaten to a pulp". This is a Power Sound Audio support thread. So, of course, the majority of folks posting here are going to be customers of ours. You've labeled them *blind followers* in the past. Now, it is "the faithful". It almost seems like you're *trying* to bait someone into a verbal sparring match with these not so subtle personal jabs so the "beaten to a pulp" has any validity at all?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Charles R, Alan P, ahblaza and 1 others like this.
post #25298 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
But I did enjoy the "discussions" he and Chucky had regarding Chucky's infamous output charts from the sky. Output based on this, based on that, based on numbers from my xxx.
As for his relentless attacks on Tom/PSA, he loved those product output charts on PSA's website, I give him full credit for my decision to buy a PSA sub. If he hadn't been such a fanatic I would have never dug as deep as I did when trying to figure out what to order. Thanks Shady, you helped me make a great decision and RIP.
As for Brian - welcome back "buddy" and I'll see you on the other side
I see what you did there.
smurraybhm and ahblaza like this.
post #25299 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I consider details like, customer service, Made-in USA, energy compliance, DSP capabilities, warranty, free shipping versus $300(?) to audition a product to be important enough to mention when comparisons like this are discussed. You call it "self promotion". I call it "stating the facts"...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Quote:
Anytime someone has the *slightest* difference of opinion with you...you use triggers like "the faithful" and "beaten to a pulp". This is a Power Sound Audio support thread. So, of course, the majority of folks posting here are going to be customers of ours. You've labeled them *blind followers* in the past. Now, it is "the faithful". It almost seems like you're *trying* to bait someone into a verbal sparring match with these not so subtle personal jabs so the "beaten to a pulp" has any validity at all?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Lol Tom, you are a riot man. How many times are you going to say this to people? He is just stating facts too, every bit as much as you are.

Quote:
Disabled or not, I don't intend to cause a ruckus in the OFFICIAL PSA thread, you have ShadyJ for that. Tom has answered all my questions and I am grateful, but I am gonna get out of this gathering of the faithful before I get beaten to a pulp.

So for max extension and my $1000 budget it looks like there is only one option. Thanks
You have noticed a lot of the same things about this thread that I have. PSA, and even Tom, seem to be pretty darn polarizing. People tend to LOVE or HATE them, the middle ground that you have found is pretty rare and seems to always cause a ruckus. It's been comical to watch over the years actually.

One thing that is undeniable is that PSA offers a great product with beyond stellar customer service. The decision on which subwoofer to buy comes down to your personal priorities, but you can rest assured that PSA is great choice no matter how you slice it, regardless of the peculiarities of this thread.
post #25300 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Lol Tom, you are a riot man. How many times are you going to say this to people? He is just stating facts too, every bit as much as you are.
Let me know how many times you have dropped into a competitor's thread and labeled folks trying their best to answer your questions as "blind followers", or "the faithful" (obviously implying some sort of cult like status with no objectivity at all). I list features about our products and I'm labeled a "self promoter". And you've decided these jabs are *facts* too....how wonderful. Thanks for the spot-on commentary as usual...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #25301 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks not the worst idea. I bet a good 1/3rd of the 15V and 15S customers mention pets/kids as one of the primary reasons they prefer down firing.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #25302 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
I'm a new PSA owner (dual V1800s, woot!) and am very impressed with the subwoofers and the level of attention I've received from Tom before, during, and after the purchase. That said, I'm not a veteran of this particular thread and have just now started reading it in earnest since I am a new owner.

Seriously though -- how much more objective do you expect Tom to be? In my opinion as a thread n00b he's been exceptionally neutral and level-headed, abstaining from hyperbole or "self promotion." I think he's handled the jabs leveled at him with grace, especially considering that this is, after all, a thread about his company and his company's products.

I think some of you guys are just looking to pick a fight. Tom has managed to stay on the high road despite this...which is certainly more than I think I would've been able to do.
Alan P, ahblaza, k1n3t1k and 1 others like this.
post #25303 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

I'm curious to know why my post was deleted? I didn't attack anyone and all I doing was praising Tom and PSA. I'm a new V1500 owner and was just stating my experience. Any ideas mods?
FattyMcButterPants likes this.
post #25304 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Tom talked about his products in a flattering way? In a thread created to talk about his products and his company?

In a forum that has basically turned into ID companies promoting and selling their products?

The nerve...
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #25305 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I'm a new PSA owner (dual V1800s, woot!) and am very impressed with the subwoofers and the level of attention I've received from Tom before, during, and after the purchase. That said, I'm not a veteran of this particular thread and have just now started reading it in earnest since I am a new owner.

Seriously though -- how much more objective do you expect Tom to be? In my opinion as a thread n00b he's been exceptionally neutral and level-headed, abstaining from hyperbole or "self promotion." I think he's handled the jabs leveled at him with grace, especially considering that this is, after all, a thread about his company and his company's products.

I think some of you guys are just looking to pick a fight. Tom has managed to stay on the high road despite this...which is certainly more than I think I would've been able to do.
How do you like them?
Did you split them around the room or put them next to each other?
Where to you cut the frequency?
How hard are your neighbors complaining? ;-)

Yamaha CX-A5100 | 2x Emotiva XPA-5 & XPA-3 | PSA MTM-210T | PSA-MTM210C | PSA-MT110SR | 2x PSA V1800 | AM 8033-SII
Sony 65" 4K| Apple-TV | Network stuff | a lot of wires | Understanding & forgiving GF - priceless!
post #25306 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grimm View Post
How do you like them?
Did you split them around the room or put them next to each other?
Where to you cut the frequency?
How hard are your neighbors complaining? ;-)
Love 'em. Definitely cleaner, punchier, and tons more headroom than the SVS PC12-NSDs they replaced.
They're in the rear corners of my room. Each has a GIK TriTrap behind it so they're not quite corner-loaded.
My crossover is set at 80Hz all around.
My dedicated theater room is in my basement on a concrete slab so the neighbors aren't complaining...yet.
roque13, ss nimrod and Kevin Grimm like this.
post #25307 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 337
My two sb13 ultras have arrived. Unfortunately I am at work and can't play right now
I will hopefully be able to get to them later. I will hopefully see what all the fuss is about.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #25308 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
My two sb13 ultras have arrived. Unfortunately I am at work and can't play right now
I will hopefully be able to get to them later. I will hopefully see what all the fuss is about.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM703 / LSiM706c / RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400
post #25309 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Congrats...but I'm am curious why you posted this in the PSA thread...
post #25310 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Folks, just wanted to share a few initial impression of my B-stock S1500 that I received today. One thing I noticed right off the bat was that the box the S1500 came in is noticeably smaller box than the Hsu ULS-15 MK2 box. I mean nothing day or night, but a bit smaller nevertheless. Thus, the S1500 was packed like a tank though. Felt like one too...LOL!!!!

The finish in matte black was decent for the most part. But, for those dealing with a WAF you may have something to discuss with the misses. Not me! Have no WAF to deal with anymore. The Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub does look nicer on the eyes to me. But, that is the ONLY thing it does better than the S1500.

First thing I did when I un-boxed the S1500 is put it exactly where I had placed the ULS-15 MK2 sub. Level matched it set to 70 db, then ran Audyssey Multi EQ XT. After which, I then went back into the settings to check the levels via my rad shack spl meter. My room is very small coming in at 1,440 Ft. ^3. My seating position is about 9.5' from my front-stage. The S1500 is placed between my Front left speaker and my tv stand. As mentioned earlier, that is exactly where I had placed the ULS-15 MK2 sub.

Forgot to mention that I did set the dial to "small room" as far as it would go. Have everything in my set-up set to small crossed over at 80Hz. So, how does it sound you ask? I can sum it up in one word: FANTASTIC! That is, the S1500 hits on a dime and stops on a dime. Bass is very tight, punchy, and well articulated. Noticeably more so than the ULS-15 MK2 sub. Keep in mind that the ULS-15 MK2 sub is no slouch in that department either. Been listening to the S1500 all afternoon in a multitude of ways with songs that I know all so well. Right now I am listening to the Smashing Pumkins via Pandora and the S1500 sounds fabulous blending seamlessly with my RTi6's. Soon, will have the RTi8 towers up and running.

In short, the S1500 meets all of my expectations and them some. I now want to sell my Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub and get a second S1500 as soon as I can. Sooner or later, I will own a second S1500. Guess that all depends on if someone more local wants to buy my ULS-15 Mk2 sub. If that turns out to be the case, a second S1500 will be on its way to me. That you can believe!

Thank you so much Tom V. for your time and for this awesome sub. YOU have made me a customer for life! The thing is, I have not even fined tuned everything just yet and the sound is unbelievable to say the least. That should tell you something. PSA is highly recommended!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Gov, Billy p, smurraybhm and 5 others like this.

Last edited by audiofreak38; 02-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #25311 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 4973
Quote:
Ha Ha Ha…now that's what I call some serious gumption. Stating in a manufacturers thread that you just got new subs delivered from one of it's competitors. Well, even though some think this thread is full of combative people, I disagree. So allow me to say congratulations on your new subs.
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
post #25312 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Ha Ha Ha…now that's what I call some serious gumption. Stating in a manufacturers thread that you just got new subs delivered from one of it's competitors. Well, even though some think this thread is full of combative people, I disagree. So allow me to say congratulations on your new subs.
I had someone in chat recently asking about dual sb13u versus dual S3000i(same pricing was the key factor). IIRC he was going to order both options and have a little duel...might be the guy..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny likes this.
post #25313 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Wow folks I am really sorry about this. I meant to put this in the Svs thread. I have both threads saved.

I am really red in the face right now.

No disrespect Tom.
smurraybhm, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #25314 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Wow folks I am really sorry about this. I meant to put this in the Svs thread. I have both threads saved.

I am really red in the face right now.

No disrespect Tom.
Hey - that's cool - enjoy your woofage, regardless of manufacturer's origin!

post #25315 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Quote:
I had someone in chat recently asking about dual sb13u versus dual S3000i(same pricing was the key factor). IIRC he was going to order both options and have a little duel...might be the guy..
As someone who has done many, many direct comparisons with this exact combination of brand and model, I hope he doesn't plan to SPL or extension drag because that level of ass-kicking is not even a contest!

Travis
post #25316 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Already got my Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub up for sale. Just have to have another PSA S1500!!!! Love my S1500!

Cheers,

Phil
post #25317 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Already got my Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub up for sale. Just have to have another PSA S1500!!!! Love my S1500!

Cheers,

Phil
They are pretty great aren't they.....
audiofreak38 and ahblaza like this.

Display: Sony W900A 55"
Sources: Oppo 103, Roku 3, Fire TV
Processor and Amps: Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-1L monos, XPA-5
Speakers: PSA 210Ts, 210C, dual S1500s, Polk surrounds

post #25318 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwar View Post
They are pretty great aren't they.....
Absolutely! I prefer it over the Hsu ULS-15 MK2 which is by no means a slouch. The thing is, I am very picky about what I want in a sub. The S1500 gives me all of it and more. Haven't even dialed everything in fully just yet. Plan to order a second S1500 as soon as my finances allow. It won't come soon enough!

Cheers,

Phil
Roadwar likes this.
post #25319 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Cheers,

Phil
You need to change you forum name to "subfreaks1500x2" When I got my first PSA sub it took less than 5 minutes of listening before I wanted another. Unfortunately selling the SVS will take awhile. Enjoy and welcome to the PSA family of blind, obsessed, zealots/fanboys
audiofreak38 likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other toys
post #25320 of 33790 Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Well I must sadly report my SUB has sold. Making arrangement with a local guy for pick up. He will be coming from a sb2000 which he returned because it lacked the headroom he desired. Based on that criteria alone he will not be disappointed when he hooks up the xs30 se.

Until our home is sold and our move is finalized I will be without a HT for months and a sub even longer.....

Ascend Acoustics Towers: STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18: (Santos RW)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page