Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 856 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22527Likes

Old 03-19-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
When I did that to route it to a fedex office location the option for waive signature was greyed out. It wouldn't let me do that. I could pay a small amount and have it shipped somewhere else where it could be signed for.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the one consistent issue I have with fedex is if you call 3 different representatives they will often give you three different answers to your question..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
cmdrdredd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I have a love hate relationship with them. 99.5% and I mean literally 99.5%(or more) of our shipments get to their destination on time and in good shape. About ONCE a month fed-ex screws something up. When that happens it tends to be a *major* PIA for me.

We just had a problem delivery this week for example. Scheduled for Tuesday, I couldn't get it delivered until Friday(!). I probably did 30 phone calls and the same amount of emails moving up and down the managerial chain quite a few times. The most frustrating part was no one could tell me WHY the delivery wasn't being made. The last manager I spoke with(they finally put me through direct to the branch manager in question) told me "that address doesn't exist, so I don't know why you are so upset, it's your mistake". This is on Friday morning...3 days AFTER scheduled delivery mind you. I let her know we shipped two boxes(one small, one large) and the small box was delivered on schedule on Tuesday and gave her the tracking for that. Once she saw that the story changed again. I could go on and on and on but the result was the S3000i FINALLY being delivered on Friday(yesterday). The good news for me is, the customer was incredibly patient and understanding through this whole ordeal.

So overall I bet 199 out of every 200 customers end up with a shipment on time and delivered in good shape. But that 0.5%, customer ends up less than 100% happy with their Power Sound experience and that is really a bitter pill for me.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Overall, Fedex tends to be far better than UPS but nothing is perfect. Myself, being in he service industry I tend to have more patience than others. Things happen in any service related industry. Its when you get the run around that is frustrating.

Heck, one of my S3000i amps was dented and a grill cover was marked up. I am sure it did not leave PSA that way. Tom was all over getting me the replacements as soon as we found the issue.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 2582
Usually when I order something of value that might require a signature I have it shipped to my work. When I bought my S1500, I didn't have a vehicle I could transport it in, so I had it shipped to my home.
Looking at the Fedex web site, I found they had an option to schedule a delievery time. It cost a few $$ to do it, but I set it up for the latest time available and only had to leave work about 1 hour early that day...
ss nimrod likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)

Old 03-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Pressurize my 5000 cu.ft. room with heart pounding bass

I am looking to pressurize a open concept 5000 cu ft area with the deepest bass for the least amount of money.

What does PSA make that can accomplish this feat?

The main HT room is missing the right and rear walls, so the only other option is to put up walls but that will cost more than $1000 with doors. This would cut the area in half, would that be the the cheaper route or is there a another way?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
Usually when I order something of value that might require a signature I have it shipped to my work. When I bought my S1500, I didn't have a vehicle I could transport it in, so I had it shipped to my home.
Looking at the Fedex web site, I found they had an option to schedule a delievery time. It cost a few $$ to do it, but I set it up for the latest time available and only had to leave work about 1 hour early that day...
I run operations for a copier/business equipment company. A year and a half ago I had 3 MTM210's and a sub sent to work instead of home. They sat in the warehouse for a few days until the weather was good enough to transport home in the back of my open pickup. The owner was walking through the warehouse and spotted them sitting on a pallet with the big PSA logo on each box saying "what the heck are those"? The warehouse worker said "those are G new speakers and sub". He just laughed and shook his head.

BTW, that warehouse worker wears a black PSA shirt and drools over the website. He always tells me "if you upgrade anything let me have first dibs on the PSA stuff. He is interested in my 210's and at least one S3000i
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Overall, Fedex tends to be far better than UPS but nothing is perfect. Myself, being in he service industry I tend to have more patience than others. Things happen in any service related industry. Its when you get the run around that is frustrating.

Heck, one of my S3000i amps was dented and a grill cover was marked up. I am sure it did not leave PSA that way. Tom was all over getting me the replacements as soon as we found the issue.
The runaround, exactly!

Just TELL me "hey, we messed up, our bad. Let's fix this for you and let me start by telling you the problem so we can find the best solution for your customer right now". Nope. It is CYA 100% across the board.

And per the speaker grill, I just laughed when you mentioned that. Our shop guy is CRAZY attentive to this stuff. We started out by explaining to him...*anything* that gets past you is a failure we're not going to accept. You WILL be gone. So now(many, many months later)...he'll call me over and say "here is a spot I saw" what do you think? 90% of the time I cannot even SEE it. I mean I have to be at exactly the right angle with the lighting and even then I'm like what...where? I always make fun of him but walking away I reinforce things too. "Hey, keep this up....you see ANYTHING....come get me".

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 03-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I guys I'm looking to join the psa team with an s1500, could anyone tell me when the s1500 was released?
Old 03-19-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingchip161 View Post
I guys I'm looking to join the psa team with an s1500, could anyone tell me when the s1500 was released?
I'll have to check for specifics but I'm sure it's been over a year now. I'd say early 2015 just going by memory.

update---early/mid FEB 2015.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 03-19-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'll have to check for specifics but I'm sure it's been over a year now. I'd say early 2015 just going by memory.

update---early/mid FEB 2015.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks Tom,
Does the s1500 come with feet on the cabinet can't really see from the pics on the website, Also when looking online I see some people have kind of a half circle grill but on the website the cabinet comes with a full square grill covering the front of the cabinet. Are these different options or which one comes with the s1500?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 4392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
I am looking to pressurize a open concept 5000 cu ft area with the deepest bass for the least amount of money.

The main HT room is missing the right and rear walls, so the only other option is to put up walls but that will cost more than $1000 with doors. This would cut the area in half, would that be the the cheaper route or is there a another way?

Thanks
The answer to this question really depends on your definition of heart pounding bass.

I have a similar situation to yours with over 5000 cu ft of space and I found the PSA V3600 does the job nicely (for my needs and wants). I do have two V3600's but one did a great job by itself (but two are indeed better due to more head room and smoothing effects).

I had smaller subs to start but they couldn't handle my room like the V3600 does. That said, it would be cheaper to build the walls and doors for $1,000. But after you do you will still need to buy the sub and at that point (assuming my math is correct) you may just find it cheaper to buy a V3600. Of course that would depend on how small of a room you ended up with and what size sub that room would need to have in it for you to achieve your goals.

For what it's worth… I have discovered that phrases like "Deepest Bass" and "Heart Pounding Bass" are rarely achievable for "The Least Amount of Money." Especially in large open areas.
ahblaza and gbreda like this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3600's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360

Last edited by Hopinater; 03-19-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
For what it's worth… I have discovered that phrases like "Deepest Bass" and "Heart Pounding Bass" are rarely achievable for "The Least Amount of Money." Especially in large open areas.
Understood.. I am recovering from spending/charging nearly $10k for a pj, AVR and 5 bookshelf speakers. Still need the screen (using wall) and the subwoofer, but may take yours and dominguez's advice to put up the walls. It will give me some time to pay down the cc and maybe splurge for the v3600 this summer.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5223
Quote:
Understood.. I am recovering from spending/charging nearly $10k for a pj, AVR and 5 bookshelf speakers. Still need the screen (using wall) and the subwoofer, but may take yours and dominguez's advice to put up the walls. It will give me some time to pay down the cc and maybe splurge for the v3600 this summer.

I thought you were ordering a Rythmik sub and you already told Tom he lost your business?

To answer your question, no you will not get what you are looking for on the cheap. Heart pounding deep bass in a room your size is going to require 4K plus in subwoofage unless you go DIY.
smurraybhm and ahblaza like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html

Last edited by basshead81; 03-19-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Thanks
What Basshead said.

Your not going to be able to pressurize that much space for $1k. What I would do is get as much output as your wallet can handle now with the intention of adding to it somewhere down the line. For your space the Rythmik would be my last choice.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Managed to get the 2nd S3000 yesterday. Am in the process of setting it up and adjusting.

If anyone is interested, I made another post about EQing the subs. Figured it was a broad enough topic to bring in other minds besides PSA owners.

Let the fun begin.
Hopinater likes this.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 4392
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post
Managed to get the 2nd S3000 yesterday. Am in the process of setting it up and adjusting.

If anyone is interested, I made another post about EQing the subs. Figured it was a broad enough topic to bring in other minds besides PSA owners.

Let the fun begin.
Congratulations. Enjoy the new sub and let us know what differences you notice between single and dual S3000's.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3600's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Old 03-20-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom,
Does the s1500 come with feet on the cabinet can't really see from the pics on the website, Also when looking online I see some people have kind of a half circle grill but on the website the cabinet comes with a full square grill covering the front of the cabinet. Are these different options or which one comes with the s1500?

Thanks,
Brandon
We're only offering the standard rectangular grills for the subwoofers now. In the past we offered both styles but found a *very* low percentage chose the curved models.

The bottom of all the subwoofers use the same feet/standoff. It's a molded rubber piece about 1.5 inch wide and 5/8th inch tall. I'll include a picture. It shows a couple of wood veneer S1500s being built and bagged last week. You can see the feet on the one in the back ground.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_10_16.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1325929  
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
To answer your question, no you will not get what you are looking for on the cheap. Heart pounding deep bass in a room your size is going to require 4K plus in subwoofage unless you go DIY.
I was educated in the Rythmik forum by Enrico that they will not be able to pressurize my room at 12Hz with a single FVX15 or FV15hp so I was unsure how to proceed and I meandered between forums. DIY is just an archaic way to get something a little cheaper - the "boxes" are 11 cu.ft. monoliths (or loveseat if laid down) that take up too much space to achieve 17Hz. If you got a basement or a cavernous home then go for it, but WAF is in play here and DIY isn't gonna happen. If you haven't noticed this is a learning experience, so since you are following my thought process here's today's update:
I'm waiting for the new FV18hp to arrive and jump on 1 or 2 of them since it's seems like it will be the best fit in my room. The subwoofer & servo technology has been Data-Bass tested, and used over a decade in the FV15hp, so I am sure it will be a good one when it arrives.

This was my evolution in sub selection, so no worries - you won't see me lurking in PSA anymore.

Later.........
Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post

Let the fun begin.
Be sure to pop into chat if you bump into any setup questions. I'll be here another 5 hours or so..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 2343
Quote:
I was educated in the Rythmik forum by Enrico that they will not be able to pressurize my room at 12Hz with a single FVX15 or FV15hp so I was unsure how to proceed and I meandered between forums. DIY is just an archaic way to get something a little cheaper - the "boxes" are 11 cu.ft. monoliths (or loveseat if laid down) that take up too much space to achieve 17Hz. If you got a basement or a cavernous home then go for it, but WAF is in play here and DIY isn't gonna happen. If you haven't noticed this is a learning experience, so since you are following my thought process here's today's update:

I'm waiting for the new FV18hp to arrive and jump on 1 or 2 of them since it's seems like it will be the best fit in my room. The subwoofer & servo technology has been Data-Bass tested, and used over a decade in the FV15hp, so I am sure it will be a good one when it arrives.

This was my evolution in sub selection, so no worries - you won't see me lurking in PSA anymore.

Later.........

Maybe it's me but it sounds like you fell into some advertising or marketing trap with the servo stuff. I hope you end up happy but man...none of that was really relevant and I'm sorry if the members replying to this thread were being honest that it won't be cheap to get what you want out of that room.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi

I am currently auditioning a psa s1500. I love it 95% of the time actually make it 97.5% for music. I listen to jazz, acoustic, classical mostly. Once in a while a song comes along and I hear a bass hum if you know what I am talking about. I have set the room size to smallest , per Toms advise and it improved a lot ( this is when my liking went up from 95 to 97.5 lol).

I am using a marantz avr with audessey multi eq. I just placed an order for a Denon x4100 with xt32. Just wondering if I can do anything to remove the bass hum?. It is definitely not an issue with the sub blending with speakers as the sub does not overwhelm the speakers or call attention to itself. Since I listen to jazz or soft music I think it should me more open if the sub is adding any bloat but it does not seem like it. Tom also offered an antimode if I want to try it but said it may be redundant if I'm getting an avr with xt32.

Can you guys please help me If I can tinker anything to get that last 2.5% :-).

Ron
Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
Hi

I am currently auditioning a psa s1500. I love it 95% of the time actually make it 97.5% for music. I listen to jazz, acoustic, classical mostly. Once in a while a song comes along and I hear a bass hum if you know what I am talking about. I have set the room size to smallest , per Toms advise and it improved a lot ( this is when my liking went up from 95 to 97.5 lol).

I am using a marantz avr with audessey multi eq. I just placed an order for a Denon x4100 with xt32. Just wondering if I can do anything to remove the bass hum?. It is definitely not an issue with the sub blending with speakers as the sub does not overwhelm the speakers or call attention to itself. Since I listen to jazz or soft music I think it should me more open if the sub is adding any bloat but it does not seem like it. Tom also offered an antimode if I want to try it but said it may be redundant if I'm getting an avr with xt32.

Ron
Aside from trimming the level down a bit in the AVR I don't think there's much you can do with the equipment if you already set it for small room mode. The XT32 Audyssey calibration might help out a bit. What probably would help the most I think is room treatments and subwoofer positioning. If you have already determined the optimal placement then you should move around the room with a calibrated microphone and REW on a laptop or PC and evaluate where the trouble spots are. You can add room treatments to compensate for any resonance you find undesirable. It will take a bit of work, but you might be extremely happy with the results. First though I'd see what the Sub EQ does for you.
Hopinater likes this.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Old 03-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
thread cleanup

please limit your posts to technical issues
cmdrdredd likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Old 03-21-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked: 3324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
Hi

Ron
Are you sure this "hum" is actually coming from the sub?? Could it be a sympathetic resonance in your room at a certain frequency? Walls, artwork, etc.

If you can, find the offending frequency and loop it...then try to isolate where the "hum" is coming from.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I know how it feels. My PSA sub ended up being delivered a day later than it should have. I scheduled the delivery for my wife's day off so she would be there all day. Around lunch time she went out to look for the mail and found a FedEx "sorry we missed you" note on the door. The time on the note was 10 minutes before. I figured the driver didn't want to take a 90 pound box off the truck and he'd stick it with the next day's driver. She called and told me and I wasn't happy. I immediately called FedEx to see if they could attempt another delivery later in the day, especially since it was their mistake. Of course not. Heck, the driver might have still been in the neighborhood, but they said it wasn't possible to attempt a re-delivery. She was off the next morning (I would have taken the afternoon off if necessary) and it was delivered. Not PSA's mistake, but it did annoy me since it looked pretty obvious that FedEx didn't even seriously attempt the delivery on the first day.

PSA is serious about "defects". I bought one of the outlet subs that supposedly had a scratch on the amp. I couldn't find a mark anywhere on the sub. The QC guy must have very sharp eyes and even higher standards!
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by Spidacat; 03-21-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: clarification - meant I could not find a mark on the sub
Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
PSA is serious about "defects". I bought one of the outlet subs that supposedly had a scratch on the amp. I could find a mark anywhere on the sub. The QC guy must have very sharp eyes and even higher standards!

You aren't kidding- my 2nd S3000, Tom told me had blemished covers. At first I was not thrilled at the idea- since the cost was higher than the first outlet S3000 I had bought just a month before which was flawless- but when it showed up, one grill looked fine to me, the other has a small spot that you really need to look for, up close, to see- 99% of people in a room would never notice.

I am *extremely* happy with the way Tom and crew do business- and would *highly* recommend them to EVERYONE.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
We're only offering the standard rectangular grills for the subwoofers now. In the past we offered both styles but found a *very* low percentage chose the curved models.

The bottom of all the subwoofers use the same feet/standoff. It's a molded rubber piece about 1.5 inch wide and 5/8th inch tall. I'll include a picture. It shows a couple of wood veneer S1500s being built and bagged last week. You can see the feet on the one in the back ground.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom,
Could you tell me what is the main difference between the 15s and the s1500?

Thanks
Brandon
Old 03-21-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tom,
Could you tell me what is the main difference between the 15s and the s1500?

Thanks
Brandon
Really its just the driver orientation. They share the same amplifier and amplifier DSP program, the same 15" driver, and the effective cabinet volume is functionally identical as well. The 15S really represents the best value unless someone strongly prefer the front firing orientation.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I have both the 15s and s1500. They sound the same and as Tom states, the 15s is a better value. But, if you want a veneered option, and they are beautifully finished, then the s1500 would be the choice.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Was looking over the exhibitors for Axpona and was disappointed by no PSA. I know you're crazy busy Tom, but you guys could surely use a nice business trip to nearby Chicago. Those of us local will chip in and get you some good deep dish if you decide to ever make an appearance
Mike Butny and moussaka like this.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I get an anti-mode EQ should I leave the sub on the large room size during the calibration process? After some time with the new sub I've toned it down slightly to remove a bit of rumble I get in certain movie scenes. I think I can get it even better if I had an EQ so I'm seriously thinking about adding one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15