Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 868 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24348Likes

post #26011 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
also, Alan...if you dont care about single digits why would you have purchased sealed subs in the first place? especially with a large room...doesnt make sense
Exactly...we went round and round about this after he sold his XS15's and could not decide if he should go with dual T18's or quad XV30se(before v3600i was available). I believe he wanted to stick with sealed for extension and did not want to lose that "sealed sound" if my memory serves me right...could be wrong there.

Fwiw I get the upgrade bug from time to time and all I have to do is go fire up the system and realize what I have is enough. This forum will do evil things and make you want things even though you probably do not need them. lol
Brian Fineberg and Hopinater like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26012 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 06:22 AM

@Alanp, I just went into the ULF thread and calculated your scorecard using 5000cf. You have a SI of 8. 5000 / 8 = a ULF score of 625 which is a 4.5 star system. You should be reference capable down into the 10hz range and possibly lower if your signal chain is not rolling off. I say get back in your room and get what you have optimized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
No I do not. I even recalibrated with audyssey to make sure nothing was thrown off. Same results. I think that it's just the limits of what the sub can handle because that particular scene has some deep bass likely just below the tuning point. Also noticed it last evening on the thx amazing life trailer. A couple scenes have deep bass drum sounds that also give some chuffing or port noise if I push too hard or try to run the eq flat with no subsonic filter.

Odd I have never been able to get my XV15's to chuff...I have ran the pulse server scene @ reference and not a hint of chuffing. That is three subs tho, so you might simply need to add another or leave the demo stuff in the case.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #26013 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
i have to say...if you've experienced single digits...your attitudes would change.

I get the best of both worlds....single digitis to 5hz at 100db+ and the chest pounding, ear popping, pant flapping bass.....I love my sealed subs...
@Brian Fineberg
But in hindsight Brian, how many movies have under 10HZ content? I know some are available, but for the most of everyone else, having the double digit pounding that we get is all we need.
I guess what I am saying is that I was not getting subs to go down to 5hz, because of the lack of movies that actually contain that. My buttkicker that I got from you, lets me know when I get under 10hz.

post #26014 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@Brian Fineberg
But in hindsight Brian, how many movies have under 10HZ content? I know some are available, but for the most of everyone else, having the double digit pounding that we get is all we need.
I guess what I am saying is that I was not getting subs to go down to 5hz, because of the lack of movies that actually contain that. My buttkicker that I got from you, lets me know when I get under 10hz.
lots of movies actually...(maybe not in th4 grand scheme of all movies) but lots of movies dig down at some level to single digits.

and yes buttkickers will help but honestly there is no feeling like it when you finally feel a sub creating those single digits...

but I agree with you teens are where its all at....just dont like people saying "i could care less about it" if they have never experienced it.....thats too definite for me
post #26015 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
lots of movies actually...(maybe not in th4 grand scheme of all movies) but lots of movies dig down at some level to single digits.

and yes buttkickers will help but honestly there is no feeling like it when you finally feel a sub creating those single digits...

but I agree with you teens are where its all at....just dont like people saying "i could care less about it" if they have never experienced it.....thats too definite for me
Well I guess with me not knowing or feeling the single digit LFE will keep me out of chat with Tom, and save money for a new projector
Brian Fineberg likes this.
post #26016 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 AM

of course you can always go DIY
post #26017 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
of course you can always go DIY
If I was going to chase reference level single digit extension I would go DIY no doubt. No way can I justify spending 9-12K on ID subs to get there.

post #26018 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
If I was going to chase reference level single digit extension I would go DIY no doubt. No way can I justify spending 9-12K on ID subs to get there.
agreed....and for those that cant DIY...cant go wrong with PSA!
post #26019 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 AM
It is what it is

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Subs are like cars. It cost a lot to get into single digits at the track or in your room, but once your butt sits in either seat your addicted for life. I doubt my room will ever see that kind of output and my fasted car never broke 10's. Oh well, such is life.
Brian Fineberg and ss nimrod like this.
post #26020 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
OK guys...as you know, reading these threads can be dangerous and can cause some "stinkin' thinkin'". I think I may have come to my senses this morning...thanks, in no small part, to you guys talking some sense into me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Neither do I. I simply want bass that causes cracks in my foundation.
This is one of my issues with building the wall to seal off my living room...not caused by subwoofers (I don't think ), but I have some foundation issues that need to be fixed before I can build a wall, around $10,000 worth of work. Not a lot of savings right now since we just bought my wife a new car, so it will be a few years before we can have the foundation work done.

Quote:
i have to say...if you've experienced single digits...your attitudes would change.

I get the best of both worlds....single digitis to 5hz at 100db+ and the chest pounding, ear popping, pant flapping bass.....I love my sealed subs...
I have experienced single digits in my room...I'm flat to 8hz. I just don't think I'm getting enough output down there to make it usable. A wall would fix that, but see above.

What I meant was, I just want the kind of bass that I see people talk about all the time on these sub forums...if that includes extension into the single digits, great! If not, I'm OK with that too.

Quote:
Honestly you should sell or trade the 3000i and get another pair of T18's as I suggested a while back before you went 3000i. When I talked to Tom he had some blem drivers and older style SP amps and could ship me one in the lower 2k price range. It seems silly to me to sell off 4 basically brand new subs and loose 1500.00+.

That being said the amount of money you are spending on subs alone, would of funded building a wall to make the room smaller.

To top it off I still do not know how you are not pressurizing even that large space with the subwoofage you have. I would expect 125db above 30hz in that room or something is wrong. Perhaps you have some phase issues and the subs are fighting each other and not working together.

You might try stacking the 3000i in the back of the room and stack the T18's in the front of the room and see what happens for output.
As you know, I've spent many hours/days/weeks/months measuring & optimizing my system and I believe, to the best of my knowledge, that these subs are integrated properly. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I've always just chalked up my lack of pants-flapping-pop-your-ears-kick-you-in-the-chest bass up to the size of my room, and I've read other folks here with large rooms that are lacking those same qualities in the bass. I figured it was just normal for very large rooms. Don't get me wrong, I can get those qualities in the bass...I have to really crank the MV to reference (or above) to get there and I've read of folks getting the same qualities at much lower MV levels.

I just recently checked and when I add each sub one-by-one to the mix, I get the proper SPL increase. None of my measurements show any large dips or nulls. I just don't know what I could be doing wrong. I do need to do some max compression sweeps though...haven't done any since I went to quads. That might tell me something.

I do only listen to movies around -10MV, so maybe I'm just expecting more than is realistic at that sort of level...?

Quote:
also, Alan...if you dont care about single digits why would you have purchased sealed subs in the first place? especially with a large room...doesnt make sense
Well, I wanted the biggest, baddest sub that PSA made and at that time, that was the T-18. The T-18s really were enough, but I wanted a "filler" sub for smoothing, so I got a S3000. Then, pretty much just for symmetry's sake, I got another S3000.

Quote:
Exactly...we went round and round about this after he sold his XS15's and could not decide if he should go with dual T18's or quad XV30se(before v3600i was available). I believe he wanted to stick with sealed for extension and did not want to lose that "sealed sound" if my memory serves me right...could be wrong there.

Fwiw I get the upgrade bug from time to time and all I have to do is go fire up the system and realize what I have is enough. This forum will do evil things and make you want things even though you probably do not need them. lol
Your memory is correct.

And I did just that last night...fired up the system and reveled in how great it sounds! As you say, this forum is evil.

Quote:
@Alanp, I just went into the ULF thread and calculated your scorecard using 5000cf. You have a SI of 8. 5000 / 8 = a ULF score of 625 which is a 4.5 star system. You should be reference capable down into the 10hz range and possibly lower if your signal chain is not rolling off. I say get back in your room and get what you have optimized.
Thanks for verifying the numbers, bh! I know I can always count on you to provide the numbers that matter.

Any "out-of-the-box" things I should try as far as optimizing? I'm going to do some compression sweeps and see where I'm at first though.

Quote:

Yeah, I may have spoken hastily last night....I actually do care, I'm just not sure what it's going to take for me to be HAPPY!

As proven in my younger days, I have an addictive personality...I think that behavior may be rearing it's ugly head again, but manifesting itself as a BASS ADDICTION! Is there a 12 step for us bassheads yet??
post #26021 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 4724
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Thank you very much brother Hop....this was very helpful. I am itching like a dope fiend right now to make my upgrade happen. Leaning toward this dual V3600's configuration, but also been reading about dual Submersive HP's and the JTR Orbit Shifter ULF which all fall in the same price range. I guess I would like to ask you if you are co-locating your V3600 beauties, and also your impressions with music? Do they sound tight and quick ( pretty close to sealed sound)?
They aren't co-located because I wanted to get the smoothing benefit of dual subs and the single V3600 had enough power to give me great bass so I wasn't chasing the dB you get with co-location.

Musically speaking they do great. A lot of guys on AVS believe sealed subs do music better than ported subs for music but personally I'm not one who buys into that (and for the record I've owned sealed subs in the past). I already knew from owning the XV15 that PSA's ported subs play music wonderfully so I knew the V3600 wouldn't be any different. And I was right, they do a great job… they are tight and fast and respond to everything in the music without any problem.

Toe may chime in as well, he has a V3600 and he listens to a lot of music so he is a great source to turn to get impressions on the V3600's ability to reproduce accurate bass in music.
brahman12 likes this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
post #26022 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 AM

Alan...just an fyi being flat to 8hz doesnt mean a whole bunch...if that flat is not 100db or higher...being flat to 8hz at 85 db really isnt that big of a feat (well in your case it is since you have a small music hall for a room)...so I doubt you are actually feeling those frequecies..

I would go ported in your situation and call it a day...you wil get that out put you are craving.

but...in all honesty...you have plenty! 4.5 stars is ridiculous...for a ULF score
post #26023 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
They aren't co-located because I wanted to get the smoothing benefit of dual subs and the single V3600 had enough power to give me great bass so I wasn't chasing the dB you get with co-location.

Musically speaking they do great. A lot of guys on AVS believe sealed subs do music better than ported subs for music but personally I'm not one who buys into that (and for the record I've owned sealed subs in the past). I already knew from owning the XV15 that PSA's ported subs play music wonderfully so I knew the V3600 wouldn't be any different. And I was right, they do a great job… they are tight and fast and respond to everything in the music without any problem.

Toe may chime in as well, he has a V3600 and he listens to a lot of music so he is a great source to turn to get impressions on the V3600's ability to reproduce accurate bass in music.
some of those same AVS'ers will say the same about 18's being "too slow" for music.....lets just say they are uninformed

EDIT: I just realized....im no longer a PSA sub owner ...I will always be one a heart though!
brahman12 likes this.
post #26024 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2576 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:

Odd I have never been able to get my XV15's to chuff...I have ran the pulse server scene @ reference and not a hint of chuffing. That is three subs tho, so you might simply need to add another or leave the demo stuff in the case.

Right I have one sub trying to do it all alone. Simply isn't able to which isn't a big deal. I'll just use the subsonic filter on my eq to get the bass nice and clean sounding. It honestly does a fine job otherwise and like I said I think it's just a couple scenes with extremely deep notes that are just below the tuning point of the ported 15v. No worries.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #26025 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 AM

@Alanp , remember that -10MV is only 105db...so with +6db hot you are only getting 110-111db of bass. That is enough to vibrate something's but is not going to make your pants flap and ears pop. To get those levels of bass I find it requires about 120db + of output from the subs. So if you only listen @ -10 then you need to run the subs another +9db hot...the problem with that is the sound no longer is going to be balanced. switching to V3600i's or any other subs is not going to change this. Quad V3600i's is going to net you another +6db of headroom in the 15-30hz but you will end up with a loss of 6db above 40hz. None of this matters if you are not at your current systems limits.

Again pants flapping, room pressurizing bass is a bi product of high SPL. You have to listen loud to get it, or run the subs grossly hot...there is no other way around it. Another option is to get something like a Anti-mode dual core that will allow you have up to 4-6 different target curves that you can change on the fly. This will let you run a nice house curve for when you want those ulf moments to pressurize the room on movie night, then you can switch back to a flat response so music sounds like it should. Again this all goes back to setup not the subs. Both the T18 and V3600 setup will handle -10mv running 6db hot no problem.

post #26026 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I really couldn't care less about single digits....I just want my pants to flap and my ears to pop and I'm not really getting that now. Maybe that just can't happen even with quad V3600s in my room....I dunno.

I have considered building a wall, and really want to in the future...but that is a long way down the road because I have a LOT of other things that need to be fixed in the house before a wall can happen. BUT, if I can sell all my current subs, kick in a tiny bit more funds and get quad V36s, would it be worth it?? What you say Hop?
Hmmmmm… I just don't know Alan. To be honest if I were to do anything in your case I would build a wall and keep the subs you have or at most trade in the S3000's and get 2 more T18's. As much as I love the V3600 I wouldn't pursue them in your case… you've got awesome sealed subs.

EDIT: Okay I just saw your last post and I see why the wall is out of the question. And I also agree with Basshead's last post, you have serious bass ability, more than 99.7% of the world most likely. But to get pants flapping you need to play it LOUD and you might find that fun for a demo scene or two but not so much when it's a 2 hour movie. Some people can play it loud and like it and others just don't like it. I think in your case if you want to make your pants flapp I would crank your demo scenes and be happy knowing that IF you want to, you can bring the house down.
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by Hopinater; 04-26-2016 at 08:26 AM.
post #26027 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alan...just an fyi being flat to 8hz doesnt mean a whole bunch...if that flat is not 100db or higher...being flat to 8hz at 85 db really isnt that big of a feat (well in your case it is since you have a small music hall for a room)...so I doubt you are actually feeling those frequecies..

I would go ported in your situation and call it a day...you wil get that out put you are craving.

but...in all honesty...you have plenty! 4.5 stars is ridiculous...for a ULF score
OK, max compression sweeps coming up tonight! Let's see where I'm at and go from there. Thanks Brian.

Here's something I've been thinking about; since my space is so large, do you guys think it would make sense for me to run all my subs in "small room" mode and not waste the power on frequencies that I can't even perceive??? I have them in "large room" mode now.

Quote:
@Alanp , remember that -10MV is only 105db...so with +6db hot you are only getting 110-111db of bass. That is enough to vibrate something's but is not going to make your pants flap and ears pop. To get those levels of bass I find it requires about 120db + of output from the subs. So if you only listen @ -10 then you need to run the subs another +9db hot...the problem with that is the sound no longer is going to be balanced. switching to V3600i's or any other subs is not going to change this. Quad V3600i's is going to net you another +6db of headroom in the 15-30hz but you will end up with a loss of 6db above 40hz. None of this matters if you are not at your current systems limits.

Again pants flapping, room pressurizing bass is a bi product of high SPL. You have to listen loud to get it, or run the subs grossly hot...there is no other way around it. Another option is to get something like a Anti-mode dual core that will allow you have up to 4-6 different target curves that you can change on the fly. This will let you run a nice house curve for when you want those ulf moments to pressurize the room on movie night, then you can switch back to a flat response so music sounds like it should. Again this all goes back to setup not the subs. Both the T18 and V3600 setup will handle -10mv running 6db hot no problem.
I really need to crank it up and explore the limits of my system. I've mostly just been loafing along and enjoying movies around -15MV to -10MV (once in a while, -5MV). I pretty much only get to listen to the system after the wife goes to bed (~9pm) and then it's too late to really crank it...and the weekends are too dang full of errands and honey-do-lists.

Think I may need to take a sick day sometime this week <cough>.

Quote:
Hmmmmm… I just don't know Alan. To be honest if I were to do anything in your case I would build a wall and keep the subs you have or at most trade in the S3000's and get 2 more T18's. As much as I love the V3600 I wouldn't pursue them in your case… you've got awesome sealed subs.
The wall will probably be a night-and-day difference, and I'm going to try my darn-dest to get it done as soon as I can.
post #26028 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

EDIT: Okay I just saw your last post and I see why the wall is out of the question. And I also agree with Basshead's last post, you have serious bass ability, more than 99.7% of the world most likely. But to get pants flapping you need to play it LOUD and you might find that fun for a demo scene or two but not so much when it's a 2 hour movie. Some people can play it loud and like it and others just don't like it. I think in your case if you want to make your pants flapp I would crank your demo scenes and be happy knowing that IF you want to, you can bring the house down.
So, Hop...do your pants flap when you are just watching at your "normal" movie level??
post #26029 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm certain this would be true for me so ignorance is bliss. I don't even want to experience single digits on someone else's system in case it wakes up a sleeping giant in me and makes me want to mortgage the house to buy enough subs so I can achieve it in my large room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Alan, I'm with you to a certain degree. While I'd like single digit sub extension, for me it wouldn't be worth it unless I could hit bare minimum 115+dbs which would take more sealed subs than I could practically fit in my room which is why I haven't chased it and I quit caring about it.
This is me as well Toe. And I really am very happy with what I have and I'm not interested in chasing single digits because it would be stupid in my case. I might add a near field V1800 down the road but it's not necessary.

I think basshead hit the nail on the head, when upgraditis hits just crank your system and all will be right with the world again. When I crank my system up I walk away shaking my head and wonder why I ever think about needing more.
Brian Fineberg and brahman12 like this.

post #26030 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, Hop...do your pants flap when you are just watching at your "normal" movie level??
With good bass scenes my couch vibrates (easily) at listening levels of -15 to -13. At -12 to -10 it begins to go from vibrating to shaking. I rarely push it over -8 and that's only on worthy movies like Mad Max, Oblivion etc. The couch shakes a lot in those cases. But no pants flapping. I wonder what reference would produce?

I actually got pants flapping when I had my XV15SE nearfield and the V3600 13 feet away (thus why I'm considering putting a V1800 near field some day).
Alan P likes this.

post #26031 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading through this thread today I have this to say:

The best advice I can give anyone is this… Buy the best set up you can for your room and budget (don't skimp). And then be sure to take time to sit back and ENJOY what you have. Remember this is supposed to be fun… Don't let it stress you out.

post #26032 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Nobody's pants are going to flap watching a movie at "normal" levels with any sub system if it is calibrated within reason, flat response, and not running grossly hot where the bass is drowning out the rest of the audio. Again the type of bass you are describing takes high SPL to get there. Another option is to explore the house curve again, boosting the 10-30hz. This will add bottom end weight to the response that will pressurize the room without running everything excessively hot above 30hz to get there. I thought you tried this but did not like it? The guys with huge displacement systems do this so they can get that room pressurizing bass without bloating the 30-100hz region or needing to crank the system at ear bleeding levels to get the spl needed to pressurize the room. This is why most do not prefer a "flat" response even though for some reason it is a standard around here and especially in the REW threads. Imo for movies, you need a house curve and for music you need a hump centered around 60-80hz...flat is just a middle ground per se and what most use just like a 80hz cross.

Last edited by basshead81; 04-26-2016 at 09:24 AM.
post #26033 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hi Ian,

The reason it is important to set all speakers to 80hz(or higher) in this context is that with many sources the majority of the bass may be encoded on the left and right channels. By running those at 80hz or higher you are ensuring that a good bit of bass signal strength is being rerouted to the subwoofer via the receiver/processor bass management function. Also, setting all speakers to small(yes, even if you have towers with built in subs) will almost always provide the best audio presentation too!

Keep me in the loop,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom,

Thank you for your nice message and after testing things out last night, it was the definitely the crossover setting. My previous speakers were set at 60Hz to blend with my old and far less powerful sub. I love the S3000i and couldn't be happier with my purchase. You guys make amazing gear and I have been recommending you to everyone I know!

Thanks,
Ian
Hopinater likes this.

Preamplifier: Onkyo PR-SC5530 + DSPeaker Antimode 8033-Cinema
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5
Speakers: (5.1.2): Klipsch RP-250F mains, RP-450C center, RP-140SA surrounds, RP-140SA elevations, Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Screen: LG 60PV450 Plasma TV Sources: Panasonic BDT-220, Roku 3, Comcast cable
Room: Extensive treatment with GIK Acoustics Bass Traps and Absorption Panels
post #26034 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Nobody's pants are going to flap watching a movie at "normal" levels with any sub system if it is calibrated within reason, flat response, and not running grossly hot where the bass is drowning out the rest of the audio. Again the type of bass you are describing takes high SPL to get there. Another option is to explore the house curve again, boosting the 10-30hz. This will add bottom end weight to the response that will pressurize the room without running everything excessively hot above 30hz to get there. I thought you tried this but did not like it? The guys with huge displacement systems do this so they can get that room pressurizing bass without bloating the 30-100hz region or needing to crank the system at ear bleeding levels to get the spl needed to pressurize the room. This is why most do not prefer a "flat" response even though for some reason it is a standard around here and especially in the REW threads. Imo for movies, you need a house curve and for music you need a hump centered around 60-80hz...flat is just a middle ground per se and what most use just like a 80hz cross.
this x100!!!
basshead81 and Molon_Labe like this.
post #26035 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just placed my order for a S3600i. I'll be coming from dual XV15s which I'll sell off. I MAY add another sealed sub if I think It would help with smoothing any nulls.
post #26036 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked: 1892
Quote:
I'm certain this would be true for me so ignorance is bliss. I don't even want to experience single digits on someone else's system in case it wakes up a sleeping giant in me and makes me want to mortgage the house to buy enough subs so I can achieve it in my large room.

This is me as well Toe. And I really am very happy with what I have and I'm not interested in chasing single digits because it would be stupid in my case. I might add a near field V1800 down the road but it's not necessary.

I think basshead hit the nail on the head, when upgraditis hits just crank your system and all will be right with the world again. When I crank my system up I walk away shaking my head and wonder why I ever think about needing more.
No doubt. It also depends on what your listening habits are. I listen at reference with my subs hot (I run hot below ~40hz) as well 98% of the time (we turn it down 15-20dbs when the GFs younger boys are over). In order for me to get significant worthwhile single digit bass at the levels I listen at, it would require more 18" sealed subs than my room could handle as I mentioned (something ridiculous like 16 or more!!). I'm happy with what I got in light of that!
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Last edited by Toe; 04-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.
post #26037 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Anyone else feel PSA is following them around the Internet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSA.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	1406482   Click image for larger version

Name:	psa1.png
Views:	85
Size:	948.5 KB
ID:	1406506  

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 04-26-2016 at 12:41 PM.
post #26038 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Anyone else feel PSA is following them around the Internet?
I run an Adblocker on my computer but I do get PSA ads while using Internet on my cell phone. The ads actually put me in a good mood
Bachelor and Hopinater like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #26039 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Alan: What size is your room? I'm sitting at 2300cu ( completely sealed ) and the S3600I/XS30SE combo is outstanding. I had a buddy over a few weeks ago and we went through a few demo scenes at -10MV, subs 6db hot and Dynamic EQ enable and we were getting plenty of slam/pant flapping. I may be pulling the trigger very soon on another S3600I but to be honest I really do not need more. I really want to have 2 of the same subs and finally say I'm done. I will say enabing DEQ does make a difference but I know you dislike it.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #26040 of 32746 Old 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Alan: What size is your room? I'm sitting at 2300cu ( completely sealed ) and the S3600I/XS30SE combo is outstanding. I had a buddy over a few weeks ago and we went through a few demo scenes at -10MV, subs 6db hot and Dynamic EQ enable and we were getting plenty of slam/pant flapping. I may be pulling the trigger very soon on another S3600I but to be honest I really do not need more. I really want to have 2 of the same subs and finally say I'm done. I will say enabing DEQ does make a difference but I know you dislike it.
5K cubes +.

I too am back to using DynEQ. Since I installed a bunch of bass traps it now sounds better to me.
Mike Butny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread