Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 931 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17586Likes
post #27901 of 27916 Unread Yesterday, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by consequential View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to subs and would like to ask if you could explain more as to what smoothing means here.
Smoothing of the response across a wider area.

With a single sub, you can probably get a good response in a single seat (sometimes not), but if you have multiple seats (or rows of seats), multiple subwoofers are a must IMO.

Quote:
Also you mentioned reducing localization. Right now when playing music especially I can hear the bass coming from the sub in its current location to the right of the front left speaker. It's very noticeable. Is this something I can fix without an additional sub and will a second sub totally resolve that or partially resolve that?
It is unusual, but not unheard of, for a single sub to be localize-able...especially when placed near the main speakers. In order to try and figure out what's going on in your room, you need to answer a few questions:

Where is your crossover set (in both the AVR and on the sub itself)?
Do you have any sort of auto-EQ (i.e. Audyssey)? If so, where did it set the crossovers?
Where is your sub trim set in the AVR? Where is the gain on the sub set?
How large is your room (in cubic feet, including any rooms that your listening area is open to)?
How loud do you listen (Master Volume setting)?

Quote:
Also what kind of work would I need to do exactly to properly place both subs and besides the software that Tom mentioned to me if I only have an spl meter is that helpful or would I be better served to purchase a tool to assist? Tom had mentioned that I could use a mic I already have to start but that the software has a steep learning curve.
It can be done with an SPL meter and graph paper...but I wouldn't recommend it. REW (Room EQ Wizard, most likely the software Tom mentioned to you) is much easier, even with the steep learning curve. REW is also much more precise and in-depth, allowing you to analyze your system with a myriad of tools. Check the link in my sig if you're interested.

What mic do you already have? The most recommended here on AVS is the UMIK-1.
Thanks so much for the reply and I'll reply with answers to your questions tomorrow plus say thanks to all the replies today as well.

In the meantime I decided to purchase the UMIK-1 (I just have a sub headset mic and a blue yeti) but I saw that if I purchase direct from mini-dsp they don't have cal files lower than 20hz whereas getting it from cross-spectrum will have lower than 20hz

What would you recommend?

Thanks again and thanks to everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27902 of 27916 Unread Today, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2490
I would ask over in the REW thread...but if you don't mind the extra cost, go ahead and get the one from CSL.
post #27903 of 27916 Unread Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
It's an rs500. Really excited for it. I hear the 3d is better also.

I wish a screen didn't cost so much more than I anticipated or I would have this bad boy up and running right now lol
Nice newc33,
I am looking at the rs400, but may increase the budget for a rs500! Would like to move into the 4K arena! That being said, I purchased 2 EA Sub Dude HT. Thought it made less vibrations upstairs. I out some of the shipping foam from the V3600 underneath that as well.
newc33 likes this.
post #27904 of 27916 Unread Today, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Nice newc33,
I am looking at the rs400, but may increase the budget for a rs500! Would like to move into the 4K arena! That being said, I purchased 2 EA Sub Dude HT. Thought it made less vibrations upstairs. I out some of the shipping foam from the V3600 underneath that as well.
I have owned the rs400 since April and man this thing is out right amazing! And yes the 3D is outstanding.

Best purchase I have made in a loooong time
lizrussspike and newc33 like this.
post #27905 of 27916 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Thanks Brian Fineberg, just a little push is all I need.
post #27906 of 27916 Unread Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 3445
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseline97 View Post
WER = Wife Exchange Rate....it moves like any other currency based on any number of factors(time, mood, neighbor's wife got something, etc)...

Good examples of WER:
I buy a $1500 sub...she gets a 17k patio remodel. That's a WER of 11.333

I buy a new 2k processor...she gets a new 70k car. That's a WER OF 35!!!!

Guys....be careful of the WER!....It's dangerous!!!!!
I think this is awesome and hilarious.

So I will share my WER for the new Samsung 65" TV I just bought. I got a great deal on it so it was $1500 (which of course I purchased for the whole family to enjoy). My wife went out and spent $30 on some new shirt or something.
Alan P and ahblaza like this.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #27907 of 27916 Unread Today, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I think this is awesome and hilarious.

So I will share my WER for the new Samsung 65" TV I just bought. I got a great deal on it so it was $1500 (which of course I purchased for the whole family to enjoy). My wife went out and spent $30 on some new shirt or something.
Now that is a WER even I could live with!
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #27908 of 27916 Unread Today, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I'm afraid my WER might cost me. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1469833132770.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1572753  
Alan P, Hopinater and Molon_Labe like this.
post #27909 of 27916 Unread Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2490
In the past 2 years I've spent roughly $13K on audio upgrades. The wife got a new car this year, ~$20K.

I hadn't upgraded my speakers/subs in over 20 years. Her car was 16 years old. Not a bad WER at all IMO.
Greg Samples and Hopinater like this.
post #27910 of 27916 Unread Today, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
In the past 2 years I've spent roughly $13K on audio upgrades. The wife got a new car this year, ~$20K.

I hadn't upgraded my speakers/subs in over 20 years. Her car was 16 years old. Not a bad WER at all IMO.
You did pretty good...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #27911 of 27916 Unread Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 3445
That's not bad Alan. I think my real WER is coming soon. My wife is planning a remodeling of the kitchen and living room and possibly even a bathroom. LOL… she may have set me up.
Mike Butny likes this.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #27912 of 27916 Unread Today, 05:53 PM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 1649
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I'm afraid my WER might cost me. Lol
It was a pleasure meeting you and hanging out this afternoon. I am glad the Triax found a good home. I am also glad I don't have to move that son of gun anymore. I will feel the back in the morning for sure
ahblaza and dsrussell like this.
post #27913 of 27916 Unread Today, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Psa mentioned

Hey guys I got an email from Home Theater Review ( I always do) and there's an article in there (on site) How to become a millionaire in the AV business, Power Sound Audio is mentioned as a successful small start up business. It's pretty cool be mentioned up there with some of the best in the business.

http://hometheaterreview.com/how-to-...ideo-business/

Cheers Jeffrey
post #27914 of 27916 Unread Today, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys I got an email from Home Theater Review ( I always do) and there's an article in there (on site) How to become a millionaire in the AV business, Power Sound Audio is mentioned as a successful small start up business. It's pretty cool be mentioned up there with some of the best in the business.

http://hometheaterreview.com/how-to-...ideo-business/

Cheers Jeffrey
I bet Tom is searching his bank account right now trying to find that million .
ahblaza and Rfitz89 like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #27915 of 27916 Unread Today, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I bet Tom is searching his bank account right now trying to find that million .
I hear you my friend and I wanted to comment on your son's preference for the Maggie sound, I wonder why with 3.6's and a Mac driving them..............
Billy p likes this.
post #27916 of 27916 Unread Today, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I hear you my friend and I wanted to comment on your son's preference for the Maggie sound, I wonder why with 3.6's and a Mac driving them..............
Ha, yeah, that might have something to do with it . He stops in periodically to listen to music or when he’s got a new CD he wants to hear. Makes it tough when he auditions conventional speakers, though. He’s also been eyeing my amp and hoped I’d get a new one. He kinda likes those blue meters .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread