Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 931 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17548Likes
post #27901 of 27903 Unread Yesterday, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by consequential View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to subs and would like to ask if you could explain more as to what smoothing means here.
Smoothing of the response across a wider area.

With a single sub, you can probably get a good response in a single seat (sometimes not), but if you have multiple seats (or rows of seats), multiple subwoofers are a must IMO.

Quote:
Also you mentioned reducing localization. Right now when playing music especially I can hear the bass coming from the sub in its current location to the right of the front left speaker. It's very noticeable. Is this something I can fix without an additional sub and will a second sub totally resolve that or partially resolve that?
It is unusual, but not unheard of, for a single sub to be localize-able...especially when placed near the main speakers. In order to try and figure out what's going on in your room, you need to answer a few questions:

Where is your crossover set (in both the AVR and on the sub itself)?
Do you have any sort of auto-EQ (i.e. Audyssey)? If so, where did it set the crossovers?
Where is your sub trim set in the AVR? Where is the gain on the sub set?
How large is your room (in cubic feet, including any rooms that your listening area is open to)?
How loud do you listen (Master Volume setting)?

Quote:
Also what kind of work would I need to do exactly to properly place both subs and besides the software that Tom mentioned to me if I only have an spl meter is that helpful or would I be better served to purchase a tool to assist? Tom had mentioned that I could use a mic I already have to start but that the software has a steep learning curve.
It can be done with an SPL meter and graph paper...but I wouldn't recommend it. REW (Room EQ Wizard, most likely the software Tom mentioned to you) is much easier, even with the steep learning curve. REW is also much more precise and in-depth, allowing you to analyze your system with a myriad of tools. Check the link in my sig if you're interested.

What mic do you already have? The most recommended here on AVS is the UMIK-1.
Thanks so much for the reply and I'll reply with answers to your questions tomorrow plus say thanks to all the replies today as well.

In the meantime I decided to purchase the UMIK-1 (I just have a sub headset mic and a blue yeti) but I saw that if I purchase direct from mini-dsp they don't have cal files lower than 20hz whereas getting it from cross-spectrum will have lower than 20hz

What would you recommend?

Thanks again and thanks to everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27902 of 27903 Unread Today, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3740 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
I would ask over in the REW thread...but if you don't mind the extra cost, go ahead and get the one from CSL.
post #27903 of 27903 Unread Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
It's an rs500. Really excited for it. I hear the 3d is better also.

I wish a screen didn't cost so much more than I anticipated or I would have this bad boy up and running right now lol
Nice newc33,
I am looking at the rs400, but may increase the budget for a rs500! Would like to move into the 4K arena! That being said, I purchased 2 EA Sub Dude HT. Thought it made less vibrations upstairs. I out some of the shipping foam from the V3600 underneath that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread