Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 955 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18664Likes

post #28621 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I will be in the Chicagoland area this weekend.
Is anyone willing to allow me to visit for a quick demo of PSA subs and or speakers? I've been reading such great comments but I think a demo would help push me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28622 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 233

WOW!! I just tested my dual T-18's at near peak levels with the 4K Lucy disc. The ending credit music is an awesome reference. They actually were vibrating my hardwood floors above and unscrewed a recess light bulb in my theater haha!!! The room pressure was intense.

I did it when the wife and kids were gone!!

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
JVC RS600/180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900 & 5000, 7.2.4 all PSA set up 3 MTM210's / 8 MT110SR's / Dual t-18's
post #28623 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wow!! I was wondering what I heard/felt. At first I thought it was an earthquake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post

WOW!! I just tested my dual T-18's at near peak levels with the 4K Lucy disc. The ending credit music is an awesome reference. They actually were vibrating my hardwood floors above and unscrewed a recess light bulb in my theater haha!!! The room pressure was intense.

PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center
JBL L890 surround, PSA MT-110 rear, Canton Front Height
PSA V1800 , SVS PC13 Ultra Subs
Marantz SR7009 AVR
Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, DirecTV
post #28624 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:

Steve just wanted to say, you theater is amazing. It's what I think I would call reasonable reference. a lot of great components. Yet your theater still seems doable.

Also I love your use of red as accent color. Red is one of my favorite colors and you pulled if really well.

One question though what recliners are those?
ahblaza likes this.

ShaunH
post #28625 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:

Very nice setup Steve, thanks for sharing...............
SteveFred and oneeyeblind like this.
post #28626 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
Quote:

That's just awesome all the way around. Beautiful theater, beautiful equipment... and the fact that your theater managed to unscrew a light bulb is icing on the cake. You are a lucky man my friend.

Job well done!
SteveFred and ahblaza like this.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #28627 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcal215 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have a Sony str1040, it doesn't give you volume in relation to reference not that I can find anyways but I usually listen around 35 to 37 on the master volume.
Doesn't that MV level have to be some kind of indication that's in reference to reference? If listening at 37 absolute volume that would be pretty low at 45dB below reference, using absolute volume reference is 82. That 37 has to be some kind of indication how loud or close to reference you're listening. I have never seen that before, no way of knowing at what volume level you're listening. You say with a SPL meter at 37 you're getting peaks at 95dB?

How high does the AVR's MV level go, or what's the highest number before you can't advance it any higher, do this of course with no source selected! That will give you some idea of the volume scale that's used, hopefully..............
post #28628 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well... tonight I decided to chill out so I invited the family to just sit back and listen to music with me in the HT. We listened to different genre's starting with Classical with Bach, then moved into Jazz with Harry Conick JR and progressed to Rock with Rush.

Let me just say it's a a lot of fun when you can have your wife and daughters all sitting in a dimly lit room with you doing nothing but hanging out listening to music. It's even more special to see the kids appreciating the nuances of what they are hearing through the speakers.

It really reminded me of just how beautiful the 210T's play music. They are so crystal clear it allowed me to teach the youngest how to pick out the different layers of the music, listening for the instruments playing in the back ground as well as the one's playing in the foreground.

After an hour and a half it was just me and my oldest cranking Rush. I still haven't found the level where the 210T's distort. No matter how loud we took them they just keep asking for more and still remained clean and clear. And the V3600's sounded great as always.

What I really love about my setup is the fact that it allows my kids to recognize great music and great systems. As proof, my middle child came home from school last year complaining about the movie they watched in school. She said the movie was good but the bad sound system ruined it. She said the speakers were horrible and she was really mad that there wasn't a subwoofer.

LOL… I think the PSA setup has spoiled my kids. I feel bad for their future husbands. They better come armed with a decent HT.
Toe, Alan P, oneeyeblind and 6 others like this.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #28629 of 28635 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

@Jim , that is very heart warming my friend, it doesn't get any better than that. None of my family (siblings) share my passion for this hobby, I don't like calling it a hobby, it's more of an escape for me, when I'm having a lackluster day I play some music that I know will transcend me to another place and time. My journeys are all solo though, the misses is happy with her tuner/CD player and detachable speakers. I like jazz, classical but nothing compares to what seventies rock and roll does for me. Every one of my favorite tracks has something to do with an experience in my life, does that make sense?

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for sharing that experience, I envy you my friend, that's priceless...........

Cheers Jeffrey
post #28630 of 28635 Old Today, 05:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Well... tonight I decided to chill out so I invited the family to just sit back and listen to music with me in the HT. We listened to different genre's starting with Classical with Bach, then moved into Jazz with Harry Conick JR and progressed to Rock with Rush.

Let me just say it's a a lot of fun when you can have your wife and daughters all sitting in a dimly lit room with you doing nothing but hanging out listening to music. It's even more special to see the kids appreciating the nuances of what they are hearing through the speakers.

It really reminded me of just how beautiful the 210T's play music. They are so crystal clear it allowed me to teach the youngest how to pick out the different layers of the music, listening for the instruments playing in the back ground as well as the one's playing in the foreground.

After an hour and a half it was just me and my oldest cranking Rush. I still haven't found the level where the 210T's distort. No matter how loud we took them they just keep asking for more and still remained clean and clear. And the V3600's sounded great as always.

What I really love about my setup is the fact that it allows my kids to recognize great music and great systems. As proof, my middle child came home from school last year complaining about the movie they watched in school. She said the movie was good but the bad sound system ruined it. She said the speakers were horrible and she was really mad that there wasn't a subwoofer.

LOL… I think the PSA setup has spoiled my kids. I feel bad for their future husbands. They better come armed with a decent HT.
That is very cool Hop! I've done the same thing with my GF with various music in the HT and she has a better appreciation now for quality recording and mixing.

I bought the 5 Spyro Gyra SACDs in the last week and have listened to 4 of them. It's jazz fusion type music and really sounds fantastic on the PSA gear! All 4 have been excellent, but Good to Go is a notch above the others IMO and highly recommended.

Switched it up last night and listened to a Phish show in preparation for the 3 we will be attending this weekend. I have heard this particular shiw numerous times, but last night was the tops on the PSAs. Wow, Trey was an absolute guitar monster in 97 and it was incredible to hear on the new gear!
oneeyeblind and Hopinater like this.
post #28631 of 28635 Old Today, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@Jim , that is very heart warming my friend, it doesn't get any better than that. None of my family (siblings) share my passion for this hobby, I don't like calling it a hobby, it's more of an escape for me, when I'm having a lackluster day I play some music that I know will transcend me to another place and time. My journeys are all solo though, the misses is happy with her tuner/CD player and detachable speakers. I like jazz, classical but nothing compares to what seventies rock and roll does for me. Every one of my favorite tracks has something to do with an experience in my life, does that make sense?

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for sharing that experience, I envy you my friend, that's priceless...........

Cheers Jeffrey
Thanks Jeff. Your music reminding you of life experiences makes perfect sense. For some reason certain music and certain smells have the ability to trigger very specific memories in our brains that do more then just recall a memory, they almost transport you back in time.

Quick example... One of my favorite songs from the 70's is Pilot's 1974 song "Magic" simply because it transports me back to a perfect summer day when I was little and all the kids on the street (older and younger) were playing on my front porch and this song came on the radio. In short it takes me back to the perfect day when I didn't have a care in the world except having fun.

On another note… when I was listening to Rush last night I was explaining to my daughter how certain bands from that era wrote and composed some pretty deep songs. Rush can be cranked and enjoyed for the music or it can be turned down and you can hear the thought behind a lot of the lyrics and the messages the band was trying to put forth. I explained to her that not all Rock is about partying, some of its pretty deep.
Toe, oneeyeblind and cel4145 like this.

Last edited by Hopinater; Today at 05:50 AM.
post #28632 of 28635 Old Today, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
That is very cool Hop! I've done the same thing with my GF with various music in the HT and she has a better appreciation now for quality recording and mixing.

I bought the 5 Spyro Gyra SACDs in the last week and have listened to 4 of them. It's jazz fusion type music and really sounds fantastic on the PSA gear! All 4 have been excellent, but Good to Go is a notch above the others IMO and highly recommended.

Switched it up last night and listened to a Phish show in preparation for the 3 we will be attending this weekend. I have heard this particular shiw numerous times, but last night was the tops on the PSAs. Wow, Trey was an absolute guitar monster in 97 and it was incredible to hear on the new gear!
That's awesome Toe. I have a Spyra Gyra CD that I've listened to a ton through the years. I bet they sound incredible on SACD. I will have to look into getting Good to Go.
Toe likes this.

post #28633 of 28635 Old Today, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Steve just wanted to say, you theater is amazing. It's what I think I would call reasonable reference. a lot of great components. Yet your theater still seems doable.

Also I love your use of red as accent color. Red is one of my favorite colors and you pulled if really well.

One question though what recliners are those?

Thanks!!

The chairs are from Steinhafels http://www.steinhafels.com/merchandi...ular-385CPKG63

12 seats and 7 wedges and it was about $5800. 8 seats are non power and 4 of the ends are power. It is microfiber material. I had leather in my first theater and always thought it was cold to the touch, so I went with microfiber For me they are a way better feel and they do clean up pretty decent, no major spill "yet" so we will see
oneeyeblind likes this.

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
JVC RS600/180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900 & 5000, 7.2.4 all PSA set up 3 MTM210's / 8 MT110SR's / Dual t-18's
post #28634 of 28635 Old Today, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

Yeah anything thats well recorded is a real treat with the 210T's.

I've been playing Billy Joel's "The Stranger".

Here on Long Island we all grew up with Billy Joel, been listening and going to his concerts for 40 years. The 210T's really-really have me re-enjoying this album.

The drums on "Just the way you are", are just soooo taunt.

The acoustic guitar on "only the good die young". The strings on that guitar are so fresh and detailed, just puts a smile on your face.

"Vienna" and "She's always a woman" I've been listening to those songs forever and never really appreciated how well recorded, and how beautiful those songs are.
Toe and Hopinater like this.
post #28635 of 28635 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nimrod View Post
Yeah anything thats well recorded is a real treat with the 210T's.

I've been playing Billy Joel's "The Stranger".

Here on Long Island we all grew up with Billy Joel, been listening and going to his concerts for 40 years. The 210T's really-really have me re-enjoying this album.

The drums on "Just the way you are", are just soooo taunt.

The acoustic guitar on "only the good die young". The strings on that guitar are so fresh and detailed, just puts a smile on your face.

"Vienna" and "She's always a woman" I've been listening to those songs forever and never really appreciated how well recorded, and how beautiful those songs are.
Yeah Billy Joel has some great music in his extensive library. My favorite album of his is Songs in the Attic. All those songs done live is a treat to listen to and my favorites are Captain Jack and Say Goodbye to Hollywood. They are all a lot of fun on the 210T's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread