Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 967 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19044Likes

post #28981 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I just bought Warcraft and the remastered Fifth Element w/Atmos on bluray. I watched the non Atmos bluray of Fifth element a few months ago, so I'm curious how the newer audio track will differ.

Also, this afternoon I watched Storks with my boy in theaters, and it had surprisingly awesome bass in select scenes, way more than I was expecting. The theater was nearly empty, and I had my feet on the the seats in front and felt waves of vibrations run up my legs a few times. I wanted to like the movie, but I was bored to tears; my boy, who is almost 5, nearly fell asleep due to the convoluted story and mature ideas/dialogue that seemed to be geared toward an older audience. I'm not sure he every really knew what the point of the movie was.

I nearly bought a couple Crowson transducers and an amp, but I'm really, really "trying" to save the money for upcoming life expenses. Unfortunately, with my 5k^3ft room, I doubt even an added V3600i would give me the tactile response I'm looking for, so transducers would be my next step until I'm in a dedicated room. A small part of me still wants to try a 3rd V1800 in the corner and throw the PC12+ behind the couch, but I doubt an extra 3dB of headroom would give me what I seek. That is all...bass on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28982 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Posted on the official PSA speaker thread as well.

By the weekend I will have a complete PSA system. 3 X mtm-210t LCR, 4 mtm-110sr for side and back surrounds, and 2 X 15V subwoofers.

Speakers arrive tomorrow, subs hopefully on Friday.

These are going into MysticalJet 3.0 theater. Haven't really posted pictures in the dedicated theater build thread, but soon I will do a data dump of the complete build from start to finish. I am about 90+% there.

Will post some speaker pics as well. Thanks to all on both threads. So many speaker and sub choices, but I believe this was the best choice for my needs/wants.

Can't wait to catch up on the movies - been without a theater for a bit over a year now so I will be giving these speakers a workout ...

You all have been great keeping the threads alive and active with great info. to help with the decisions.
post #28983 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
"Open to the rest of the house" should throw up a red flag for anyone considering sealed subs...ask me how I know.
I agree. I like open house floor plans until it comes to bass… then all bets are off. If a room is truly open to a kitchen, dining room, living room etc... (meaning you can't close them off by closing a door) then you might as well start measuring your entire floor plan because that's what the subwoofer will see and try to pressurize. In these cases it's cheaper to go ported (IMHO).
ahblaza likes this.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon X4200 - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
post #28984 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am pretty sure they will do what I need. The eD sub that died would actually give me a serious headache if it was turned up too high. I am not looking for maximum effect anymore, just a good balance.
post #28985 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Another option is to try cheating by setting room control small, run audyssey, then turn room control back towards large. If audyssey attempts to lift the low to flatten the response with RC set small, you now are effectively boosting everything below 30hz by turning RC back to large. I would measure to verify the results. I thought I read of a few doing this to net a house curve.

Fwiw this will only work with XT32 sub eq ht or equivalent room correction software that will eq below 30hz.
Would this work with the Triax that has only the switch for small or large Room Control setting?

Denon 4520 in a 5.1 set up
post #28986 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 4400
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Would this work with the Triax that has only the switch for small or large Room Control setting?

Denon 4520 in a 5.1 set up
Yep it should.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #28987 of 28996 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Ummm...I'm not so sure about that.

"Open to the rest of the house" should throw up a red flag for anyone considering sealed subs...ask me how I know.
I have a large ~4000 cu ft room (open to the rest of the house as well) that I'm powering with two 15s units and I could not be happier. I am getting room shaking bass if I open them up. Granted...the "theater" is on one side of the larger room, and that is the side that I can get the very good bass response in. I don't care that the kitchen doesn't shake...but even in that part of the room....the audible response is not bad. I have a basement down stairs so the floor upstairs where the large room is, is a large wood span. This could be where I am getting the good response from. Also....the second sub I did place in the wall that is open in the back to my wire closet (behind the component racks and TV). I seem to be getting a good even response across the room from the front (TV) to the back (rear heights). My first sub (and this could be the kicker) is near field...right next to the main listening position. But... even away from the MLP, I am getting a good response throughout the rest of the theater side of the room. Maybe I'm just lucky the way the room resonates....I don't know.
Another possibility is that I am not a good bass connoisseur, and I have not experienced the kind of bass you guys have
Alan...is your room on a solid floor or a wood span type?
Anyway....I am happy with my dual 15s setup.

Last edited by martynic; Yesterday at 10:05 PM.
post #28988 of 28996 Old Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4062 Post(s)
Liked: 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by martynic View Post
I have a large ~4000 cu ft room (open to the rest of the house as well) that I'm powering with two 15s units and I could not be happier. I am getting room shaking bass if I open them up. Granted...the "theater" is on one side of the larger room, and that is the side that I can get the very good bass response in. I don't care that the kitchen doesn't shake...but even in that part of the room....the audible response is not bad. I have a basement down stairs so the floor upstairs where the large room is, is a large wood span. This could be where I am getting the good response from. Also....the second sub I did place in the wall that is open in the back to my wire closet (behind the component racks and TV). I seem to be getting a good even response across the room from the front (TV) to the back (rear heights). My first sub (and this could be the kicker) is near field...right next to the main listening position. But... even away from the MLP, I am getting a good response throughout the rest of the theater side of the room. Maybe I'm just lucky the way the room resonates....I don't know.
Another possibility is that I am not a good bass connoisseur, and I have not experienced the kind of bass you guys have
Yeah, I'm on a concrete slab...so there's that.

"Enough" bass is very subjective...some are satisfied with much less bass than it takes to satisfy others. For me, it seems to be an addiction...I can't get enough of it! I've always had an addictive sort of personality though.

That being said, we have to have some sort of benchmarks when recommending subs for folks who come here and ask, and room size is the single most important factor IMO. That, combined with the person's listening levels and bass expectations will usually give us a good idea what to recommend. People with rooms over 3000^3 ft. will almost always be recommend ported subs.

Glad you're happy with your dual 15s, rock on my friend!
ahblaza likes this.
post #28989 of 28996 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 4400
There is always Rehab Alan...
Alan P and Hopinater like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #28990 of 28996 Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by martynic View Post

I am using my room the same way i have all my stuff on the right side of the room. I am glad to hear you like your bass response with the two 15s's.
post #28991 of 28996 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm on a concrete slab...so there's that.

"Enough" bass is very subjective...some are satisfied with much less bass than it takes to satisfy others. For me, it seems to be an addiction...I can't get enough of it! I've always had an addictive sort of personality though.

That being said, we have to have some sort of benchmarks when recommending subs for folks who come here and ask, and room size is the single most important factor IMO. That, combined with the person's listening levels and bass expectations will usually give us a good idea what to recommend. People with rooms over 3000^3 ft. will almost always be recommend ported subs.

Glad you're happy with your dual 15s, rock on my friend!
I also have an addictive to personality. One never knows...maybe one day I'll talk my wife into another "black end stand" or two!
Thanks for your contributions here Alan.
post #28992 of 28996 Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan319 View Post
I am using my room the same way i have all my stuff on the right side of the room. I am glad to hear you like your bass response with the two 15s's.
I am certainly getting much enjoyment out of them.
post #28993 of 28996 Old Today, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Those look nice but aren't cheap, being a budget kind of person I have had no complaints with BlueRigger cables: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eed+HDMI+cable+
post #28994 of 28996 Old Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I have dual S1500s in my upstairs, dedicated media room (3000ft³). I have a single Energy S12.3 (ported) downstairs in an open concept family room which is open to ~2500ft² and the upstairs (25ft ceiling in the entry & living room). That single ported sub delivers great bass to both the family room and kitchen/breakfast area at our moderate listening levels for this area (-15dB MV max).

I went with S1500s because I couldn't acquire 4 12" Energy/Mirage subs. I wanted to go with ported duals but the V1500 dimensions really limited my placement flexibility (there were no 15s/v or 1800s at the time).

With just dual S1500s in the media room they extend down to 6Hz. Because they clip the UMIK-1 (0dB gain) I can only estimate max SPL but at 110dB sweep I don't detect any compression yet. However, I was not fully satisfied. Over the past year I have added tactile transducers (4x Earthquake minis), MBMs (2x Behringer B1200s), and a S3000i. Only now am I fully satisfied.

I'm glad things transpired the way they did. However, the ultimate costs to get where I am is more than dual V3600s would have cost. In hindsight, dual V3600s (one acting as CC stand) could have been awesome! However, I believe my current setup is superior overall.

Long story short, if you have the space go ported (duals) unless you are prepared to add-on down the road (additional subs, TTs, MBMs, etc.).
post #28995 of 28996 Old Today, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Jeffery,

You could just do the "poor man's" house curve by turning up the sub trim.

But since your AVR can apparently employ a graphic EQ with Audyssey, try boosting 30hz by about 3-6dB (whatever sounds best to you) and you have a basic house curve that should raise 3-6dB from 80hz to 30hz.

Experiment with the boosted frequency as well (30hz, 25hz, 20hz) and go with the one that sounds best to you.

However, earlier you mentioned that you preferred your FR with a boost around 40-50hz...so you may just want to GEQ that boost in and call it good.
Thank you Alan, your advice sounds good to me, kind of like the condensed Reader's Digest version of the sub distance tweak which as you proved to be very beneficial. I was able to find that happy compromise between HT and music, I used the SDT with C on the sub closest to the CC and the L+ sub tweak on the other sub closest to the left speaker and it turned out much better than I could have imagined.

I listened to music Flat and was really impressed how it sounded and switched to movies with HT and was equally impressed. The thing that impressed the most was the seamless integration between subs and speakers, before it always seemed like the subs stood out (not localized) but not really a true blend either. Now it's one continuous interaction, kind of like I don't have black boxes in my space anymore just a wash of immersive sound all around me. That's why I had over 13 different subs in my home cause I never spent the time necessary to properly dial them in.

That was me chasing MORE of something I already had and didn't realize it. It's astonishing how good LFE can sound when crossed over to HFE and you can't tell where one starts and the other ends......making any sense? I will try the poor man's HC and see (hear) what I think, I'm getting really decent output in the 5th teenish range and above and I don't mean just some woofer flapping.

Cheating Audyssey to get a low frequency boost sounds a little strange but I guess it could work as Jim F pointed out to me what setting the RCS to large does with Audy.

QUOTE:Keep the room size control set to LARGE before doing any measurements or calibration. This will give Audyssey a chance to EQ the lowest frequencies without trying to artificially boost the low end. After Audyssey and calibration, adjust the room size control to your preference.

Thanks to all of you guys for getting me motivated again to get the most out of what I have, it has paid dividends and I'm listening to more music and movie watching than ever before. The only upside of getting older is you can watch movies over and over again and it's like watching them for the first time cause you forget what happened and the endings are always a surprise

Cheers Jeffrey
bmartin5150 likes this.
post #28996 of 28996 Old Today, 11:07 PM

OK.....I am currently experiencing 'Another Brick in the Wall" (Roger Waters) in its full glory with 5.2.4 Atmos.....WOW!
I am sold on the whole Atmos thing.
Oh, and did I mention I am digging my new dual 15s setup?
Guys/Gals.....this is some good ****!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread