Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22465Likes

post #2881 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm I didn't break in my xv15 at all. Did it say to do that in the manual? I might have missed it... Did I hurt it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post

Hmmm I didn't break in my xv15 at all. Did it say to do that in the manual? I might have missed it... Did I hurt it?

No. The subs actually break in all by themselves. The idea of break in is to loosen them up before evaluating them. It's not a needed step like sealing grout after it's cured.
post #2883 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 139

post #2884 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
XV30F. A floor standing unit. Check out PSA's site if you haven't done so. Same specs, smaller footprint.
post #2885 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Nice!

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #2886 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Nice!

I Like It. biggrin.gif

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #2887 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Bottom ported - is that enough breathing room? I thought for rear ported subs that the general rule was to have the sub something like 2.5x the diameter of the port away from the wall so would not the same apply for a bottom port?
post #2888 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
XV30f

There you go.. Nice sub! Looking forward to hearing what users think cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #2889 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 PM

Doesn't quite hit the hot rodding power/weight ratio improvement of last weeks announcement...

Now just take a router to the edges and call it a cylindrical design,

Not cat cannon, but getting close...
post #2890 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post

Doesn't quite hit the hot rodding power/weight ratio improvement of last weeks announcement...

Now just take a router to the edges and call it a cylindrical design,

But not a cat cannon....

Technically it does considering it doesn't come with a base plate like the XV30 does

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
post #2891 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM

First off,

Tom, congrats on releasing a new product. I personally understand the trials and tribulations of doing such.

Next, I'll show my ignorance here and ask the community fom an accoustical viewpoint what's the difference between front and down firing XV30? From all the discussion of wavelengths and the XV15 base plate not poviding translational effects, it seems like the XV30 and XV30F response shoud be the same (and measurement data shows this). I have to assume decisions on 30's are really based upon what looks good in a room, similar to the question of base plate or not on the 15's. That said, my comment on rounding the corners is earnest in what's the difference between a tall front firing square sub and a tall round down firing sub?

(I've beed fixing tweater voice coils on a flea-bay "like new" purchase tonight of Mirage FRX-rears)....
post #2892 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

XV30f

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv30f

Interesting. Not quite as elegant and svelt looking as a cylinder (a box form just looks bulkier to me), but I like that it matches the XV30's performance with a smaller footprint.

I look forward to the upcoming announcements in the next several weeks.

I do have a question about the front firing designs vs bottom firing. When talking about the removal of the baseplate, Tom mentioned that firing the sub into the floor/carpet reduces the audibility of higher order harmonics. Does this mean the XV30 may sound cleaner, and be harder to localize, than the XV30f?

post #2893 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

First off,

Tom, congrats on releasing a new product. I personally understand the trials and tribulations of doing such.

Next, I'll show my ignorance here and ask the community fom an accoustical viewpoint what's the difference between front and down firing XV30? From all the discussion of wavelengths and the XV15 base plate not poviding translational effects, it seems like the XV30 and XV30F response shoud be the same (and measurement data shows this). I have to assume decisions on 30's are really based upon what looks good in a room, similar to the question of base plate or not on the 15's. That said, my comment on rounding the corners is earnest in what's the difference between a tall front firing square sub and a tall round down firing sub?

(I've beed fixing tweater voice coils on a flea-bay "like new" purchase tonight of Mirage FRX-rears)....

This is what Tom told me in an email about the XV30F...

"The performance is very similar. The newer model has *slightly* more output in the mid and upper bass but only slightly....maybe 0.75dB(3/4 of a dB) on average. You couldn't pick one from the other in a listening test though....they just sound identical to one another.

The best orientation will often depend on the room decor and the intended location for the subwoofer. Remember, with the front firing design, you can also lay it on it's side without any worries too. That would give you 42" width, 18" tall, 22" deep..smile.gif"

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
post #2894 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

First off,

Yeah, what he said.

post #2895 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 PM

...eek.gif

In my opinion, considering price, performance and aesthetics, one would have to be emotionally dead not to be impressed.

Very nice.

(can't stop staring at them)

Made to be placed next to our Klipsch, Epic, CF-3's but the Klipsch speaker cabinets are only 42" high.

-
post #2896 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

...eek.gif

In my opinion, considering price, performance and aesthetics, one would have to be emotionally dead not to be impressed.

Very nice.

(can't stop staring at them)

Made to be placed next to our Klipsch, Epic, CF-3's but the Klipsch speaker cabinets are only 42" high.

-

I agree.

Congratulations to Tom and Jim once again.

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #2897 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I like the look of the new XV30f very much and the footprint/dimensions are 10x better.

I'm a bit concerned about the port being bottom firing and so close to the ground, since it's one 6" port, but what concerns me a bit more is this.

The former XV30 was 11.43 cu ft and the new f version is 10.83 cu ft meaning the newer one is .6 cu ft smaller. If the driver, amp, and port are all the same, then how can it have the exact same performance?

I looked at the measurements but it appears all three "versions" of the XV30 point to the same exact measurements.

I'd love to see true measurements on this specific version, along with distortion #'s added. Loud isn't the only thing, of course. smile.gif

I'm more interested in a sealed design personally, but have been looking at PSA for awhile now.

I'd love to see a beefier driver and more powerful amp and a sealed version of the XV30f as I do truly love the footprint.

My problem is I have close to a 5000 cu ft room (20' x 26.5' x 8.8' - sealed room, basement/concrete - one 34" solid core door for the one entrance) and currently use two Epik Empire's and two DefTech Supercube References built in to my BP7000sc's and barely get to 20hz before my response literally just falls off a cliff.

I cannot really afford a Seaton Submersive and it bugs me to no end that I've never been able to find real measurements from Seaton or even 3rd party and like how Tom is pretty transparent.

I've been looking at the Rythmik F25 (new version) as an addition to my current subs and of course the XS30, but the Rythmik, while affordable, is just now starting to ship and there aren't measurements of those either.

I don't seem to have any room gain down low (and my lowest supporting mode is 22hz) and the PowerX line all starts rolling off at 30hz.

Tom or anyone else, any suggestions for around $1500?

Tom, do you have any other subs coming out "more" powerful and not less (Not suggesting the XV30f is less, just that Tom mentioned there would be other announcements soon and "most" companies start with their flagship units and future products that come out are trickle down/lesser products, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a 12" $499 option or something) as I'm more than willing to wait, especially since we're both in Ohio and I appreciate your transparency and honesty as to how your subs can perform.

I'm just trying to find a sub for around $1500 or so that can add to my sealed Empire's and Deftechs to get me a good amount of power at 20hz and below. I'm happy with 25hz and above in my huge/concrete bunker and due to placement and proper acoustical treatments I have a perfectly flat response, I just need more power and lower. biggrin.gif

I guess the ultimate thing I'd like to see is maybe the new XV30f sold as a sealed unit, same cabinet/size, just no port, and maybe an amplifier for each driver, since it appears you are keeping the same driver/amp for all models, I assume to cut costs and make ordering/stock/cost easier to maintain. Is that possible? wink.gif

--Jason
post #2898 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
Home run Tom!! I really like the new design of the xv30f!! however on the single subs I still love the downfiring design, but standing the xv30 up and making a smaller foot print was a great idea!!!

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #2899 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post

I like the look of the new XV15f very much and the footprint/dimensions are 10x better.

I'm a bit concerned about the port being bottom firing and so close to the ground, since it's one 6" port, but what concerns me a bit more is this.

The former XV15 was 11.43 cu ft and the new f version is 10.83 cu ft meaning the newer one is .6 cu ft smaller. If the driver, amp, and port are all the same, then how can it have the exact same performance?

I looked at the measurements but it appears all three "versions" of the XV15 point to the same exact measurements.

I'd love to see true measurements on this specific version, along with distortion #'s added. Loud isn't the only thing, of course. smile.gif

I'm more interested in a sealed design personally, but have been looking at PSA for awhile now.

I'd love to see a beefier driver and more powerful amp and a sealed version of the XV15f as I do truly love the footprint.

My problem is I have close to a 5000 cu ft room (20' x 26.5' x 8.8' - sealed room, basement/concrete - one 34" solid core door for the one entrance) and currently use two Epik Empire's and two DefTech Supercube References built in to my BP7000sc's and barely get to 20hz before my response literally just falls off a cliff.

I cannot really afford a Seaton Submersive and it bugs me to no end that I've never been able to find real measurements from Seaton or even 3rd party and like how Tom is pretty transparent.

I've been looking at the Rythmik F25 (new version) as an addition to my current subs and of course the XS30, but the Rythmik, while affordable, is just now starting to ship and there aren't measurements of those either.

I don't seem to have any room gain down low (and my lowest supporting mode is 22hz) and the PowerX line all starts rolling off at 30hz.

Tom, do you have any other subs coming out "more" powerful and not less (Not suggesting the XV15f is less, just that Tom mentioned there would be other announcements soon and "most" companies start with their flagship units and future products that come out are trickle down/lesser products, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a 12" $499 option or something) as I'm more than willing to wait, especially since we're both in Ohio and I appreciate your transparency and honesty as to how your subs can perform.

I'm just trying to find a sub for around $1500 or so that can add to my sealed Empire's and Deftechs to get me a good amount of power at 20hz and below. I'm happy with 25hz and above in my huge/concrete bunker and due to placement and proper acoustical treatments I have a perfectly flat response, I just need more power and lower. biggrin.gif

I guess the ultimate thing I'd like to see is maybe the new XV15f sold as a sealed unit, same cabinet/size, just no port, and maybe an amplifier for each driver, since it appears you are keeping the same driver/amp for all models, I assume to cut costs and make ordering/stock/cost easier to maintain. Is that possible? wink.gif

--Jason

the new sub were talking about is a xv30f not xv15f...if you want a sealed sub with lots of output the xs30 is for you and 350.00 less than your target budget.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #2900 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

the new sub were talking about is a xv30f not xv15f...if you want a sealed sub with lots of output the xs30 is for you and 350.00 less than your target budget.

If he's coming from a Epik Empire he might not get the feeling of the XS30 being a huge upgrade. Joshjp went from a Empire to a XS30 and ended up sending it back for a XV30. I believe he's going to order a second one eventually too.
post #2901 of 31471 Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If he's coming from a Epik Empire he might not get the feeling of the XS30 being a huge upgrade. Josh went from a Empire to a XS30 and ended up sending it back for a XV30. I believe he's going to order a second one eventually too.

I thought he wanted to add to his existing subs, not replace? I dont know of any other offering that would be more compatible with a empire than a xs30. now if he is planning on selling all the subs I would go with dual xv30f's...man i really love the dual 15 driver tower.

post #2902 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Yes i did come from Dual Empires to a single XS-30, at the time i got the XS-30 i allready sold the Empire, so i had one Empire and one XS-30, now i have 2 XV-30's, even when i had 1 XV-30 i ran some 20hz test tones and could easly tell that it had more bass down there then the XS-30 or the Empire.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #2903 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post

I like the look of the new XV15f very much and the footprint/dimensions are 10x better.

---snip---

I'd love to see a beefier driver and more powerful amp and a sealed version of the XV15f as I do truly love the footprint.

I would say the above is a bit typical of the conundrum, one runs into when trying to find and buy a subwoofer system. People are wanting $6k or more worth of subwoofer system, and they want it all in a $1,500.00 package and they beat their brains out trying to find and buy that what does not exist. And believe it or not, their wants and desires are rational.....not realistic but definitely rational. Philosophically, your above is sort of like saying you want all the flavor of a USDA Choice, Tri-tip steak, with the tenderness of a USDA, Prime, bone-in, Rib-Eye steak, with the fat contend of a USDA, Choice, Filet while being served at "Ruth's Chris Steak House" but expect the running juices of wet aged, the tenderness of dry aged, while experiencing the pricing of home grilled.

The point, for the budget minded consumer (which I qualify) a XV15f is a truly remarkable product for it's price. And in a similar package, if you want more amplifier and better drivers, you're going have to look to Seaton or Funk Audio but in doing so, you're going have to pay a lot more. There isn't any other way....pay more or stay at home. That sort of thing.

Based on your above, with your budget, you'd do yourself right buying a pair of XS15's (1000w RMS combined amplification, each driver has their own amplifier) and you'd have the ability to split the subs to cover two locations (smooth out room response with an eye on the near term future of buying a third and/or fourth subwoofer. In the short, that's the only way you're going get where you want to go with what you have for a budget.

If my Home Theater room was your room, based on my budget minded shopping ability, I'd sell the Epik's, buy four XS30's, put in a Blu-Ray, go to sleep and be happy as a clam in a tide zone with never a clammer to be found.

(based on what others have posted above, adding a pair of XS-30's, even if one at a time, is an excellent option)

The point of my above, in the case of subwoofer systems, one can only do so much with a $1,500.00 budget and then limitations and compromises start to kick in. In our case there's budgetary considerations but the main consideration is the WAF and the WAF is a powerful force indeed. Think a little lady.............with Saron's Eye.

...eek.gif

-
post #2904 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Yes i did come from Dual Empires to a single XS-30, at the time i got the XS-30 i allready sold the Empire, so i had one Empire and one XS-30, now i have 2 XV-30's, even when i had 1 XV-30 i ran some 20hz test tones and could easly tell that it had more bass down there then the XS-30 or the Empire.

both my posts were directed towards jevansoh.

post #2905 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 06:30 AM

I wonder if the base plate will be a option on the xv30f? I think it may be needed for folks that have carpet to ensure adequate distance for the port?

post #2906 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I wonder if the base plate will be a option on the xv30f? I think it may be needed for folks that have carpet to ensure adequate distance for the port?

Maybe four Libby bar glasses? You hold the sub and I'll place the glasses. tongue.gif

(stop the complaining, I'm trying to get the glasses centered and if you'd hold still.....)
post #2907 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm pretty sure the legs on it will provide adequate space for the port. That's not a detail that Tom and Jim would overlook. After all, they have designed a sub or two before. biggrin.gif

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #2908 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

I'm pretty sure the legs on it will provide adequate space for the port. That's not a detail that Tom and Jim would overlook. After all, they have designed a sub or two before. biggrin.gif

I agree but I also think it would look great with a base plate. now for the folks who want to lay it down then obvioulsy not.

post #2909 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post

Not at all. In fact we go through a fairly extensive variety of test tones during assembly and QC of each subwoofer we manufacture. "Break in" means different things to some, but in my opinion each product is pretty well "broken in" by the time we are boxing it up...smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
post #2910 of 31471 Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Actually I agree with basshead, it would be really nice to at least see a baseplate option available for the new XV30f design. At 42" tall the buyer probably isn't concerned with a little more height and I think it would look great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page