AVS Forum banner
6M views 82K replies 2K participants last post by  Delta117 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a thread about the Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina founded.

Power Sound Audio

This is thread is for discussion about Power Sound Audio. New products, speculation, product recommendation and support of PSA products.

Other Power Sound Audio product threads / forums

Official PSA Triax Thread

Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Power Sound Vendor forum (here at AVS)

Contact Power Sound Audio

Contact Power Sound Audio via email

Power Sound Audio on Facebook

Power Sound Audio on Twitter

PSA 01 Series CEA2010 Data (dosen't include S7201)

Please feel free to ask questions, and talk about all things PSA related. If you haven't already you should consider emailing PSA at the provided link, to get the best recommendation for you room.

See less See more
#17,742 ·
We have a bunch of data in the CLIO PC I want to share but I need Jim to export it to me and to say he's busy right now is the under statement of the year.

Anyway, the XS15se and S1500 comparison FR as well as the V1500 and XV15se comparison FR show all the changes which are mainly limited to

#17,743 ·
I still can't believe we don't have an S1500 owner chiming in here with their first hand review on it's performance! There's got to be one or two in here lurking...

#17,745 ·
We have several different 15" drivers for the various products. There would be no way to use the same one on all products and even be remotely optimized.
Very cool--that's good to know! I do remember reading somewhere that the S3000i used different drivers; but, I didn't realize you had several models.

#17,746 ·
Never say never but there are a few considerations to think about here.

Inventory cost, space in the warehouse(which is at a premium right now), and target MSRP. Jim and I have gone through this process in the past and it would be impossible to approach the $750 price point while maintaining the same build quality and component quality in our current products. It may seem counter intuitive but a S1200 or even a S1000 with the same component quality would not be much less expensive to manufacturer than the S1500.

Factor in the engineering time involved in a new product(3-6-9 months) that we would need to recoup at some point and I'm not seeing this happen anytime in the near future unfortunately.

A sustainable business model needs to focus on the market(s) where they can provide maximum value(cost/performance ratio). Trying to be everything to everybody...that is something that rarely works out in the long run.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
It doesn't help that a lot of the competition putting out subs in that price range are also willing to assemble all parts in china and have no parts sourced from the USA. Or cut corners such as use vinyl rap, and other parts that result in lower build quality.

#17,747 ·
#17,748 ·
^^ well I guess an S1500 isn't that much bigger (footprint) than a SB2000.
I think the S1500 is more comparable to the SB13-Ultra in terms of footprint and overall dimensions (although the S1500's cabinet is actually smaller, I believe). I love the value and performance the PSA subs offer, but I like the aesthetic design of the SVS better. I wonder if it would be possible to get a S1500 with rounded edges and a metal grille that the SVS has :)

#17,749 · (Edited)
It doesn't help that a lot of the competition putting out subs in that price range are also willing to assemble all parts in china and have no parts sourced from the USA. Or cut corners such as use vinyl rap, and other parts that result in lower build quality.
My sub is sourced from China, but assembled and quality checked here in the U.S. It's built like a tank and the vinyl wrap looks damn good for not being a real wood veneer. Also, the rounded corners are a nice touch too! :rolleyes:

#17,750 ·
My sub is sourced from China, but assembled and quality checked here in the U.S. It's built like a tank and the vinyl wrap looks damn good for not being a real wood veneer. Also, the rounded corners are a nice touch too! :rolleyes:
Granted maybe I could have been nicer about it but there is a truth to what I said. For example going from the BASH amp to ICE was more expensive because its assembled here. So when you add sourcing and building here you can't really cut down prices.

#17,751 ·
Granted maybe I could have been nicer about it but there is a truth to what I said. For example going from the BASH amp to ICE was more expensive because its assembled here. So when you add sourcing and building here you can't really cut down prices.
No offense taken, but you had to have known someone would chime in on your comment. I'm not sure how Tom and Jim manage to keep everything in the states, but hats off to them. ;)

#17,752 ·
Ugg. FedEx left the XV15 on my front porch. I'll have to hope it doesn't wander off before I get home. 2.5 hours to go...

#17,753 ·
Ugg. FedEx left the XV15 on my front porch. I'll have to hope it doesn't wander off before I get home. 2.5 hours to go...
YIKES!!! :eek:

Um…..Where do you live?

Reactions: chip387
#17,754 ·
Doh! Well, the thing weighs like 95lbs. If it does get drug off you'll probably be able to follow the skid marks. :mad:

Reactions: jhughy2010
#17,755 ·
All subwoofer and speaker shipments are "signature required" unless a change is requested by the customer. If ANYTHING is amiss here let me know immediately. Also, you can put in your tracking number and request to see the signature who signed for it as well I believe.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

#17,756 ·
Hi all,

Here is the S1500 FR versus the XS15se FR. The S1500 extends a bit deeper, is smoother, and has a slightly better DSP shaped rolloff as well. And with the room size control it can actually be optimized better for small to VERY small rooms too.

Measurements taken with a high resolution CLIO rig, outside at 2 meters.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Attachments

#17,757 ·
All subwoofer and speaker shipments are "signature required" unless a change is requested by the customer. If ANYTHING is amiss here let me know immediately. Also, you can put in your tracking number and request to see the signature who signed for it as well I believe.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, this is the one area where Fedex ground can be an issue as not all of Fedex ground delivery trucks are Fedex owned. Many are subcontractors that own the route. That is what we have here at work and we are lucky enough to have a very good owner of the route. Some other route owners in this area are terrible and do not follow the Fedex rules if it means lost time and revenue on their driver.

#17,758 ·
I am anxiously waiting for the reviews of the V1500 as I am seriously thinking of 2 of these units to use as stands for my MTM210 mains and replace the one XS30. The height of the V1500's would put the horns almost in a perfect line, unlike now where the L/R are lower than the center. If the reviews are as good as I think that they will be and I have good response from the positioning that I will use, I just might be looking to sell my XS30.

#17,759 ·
Hi all,

Here is the S1500 FR versus the XS15se FR. The S1500 extends a bit deeper, is smoother, and has a slightly better DSP shaped rolloff as well. And with the room size control it can actually be optimized better for small to VERY small rooms too.

Measurements taken with a high resolution CLIO rig, outside at 2 meters.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Keep those charts coming! (you know, with all that free time you have on your hands) I'm drooling over here in anticipation for (hopefully) next weeks delivery :grin:

#17,760 ·
Not too fond of our driver. My wife caught him rolling our first XV15 to the door and went out to help him so he would stop. The next time we interacted with him was when I had scheduled a pickup.. he entered in his log that there was no pickup and when I called the 800 number and asked them to send him back he told me that he hadn't come by yet and that he had no idea why the tracking system said that (He wouldn't look me in the eye though).

The last time I saw him he threw a package and hit our front door with it.

Our last driver was much better..

Reactions: oneeyeblind