post #271 of 13525 Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

Could you take a size comparison pic with your Empire?

Possibly this weekend I can do that during the GTG. We we likely have pics up of over a dozen subs actually. Right now my empires are upstairs and can be a chore to move around, heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

that's an unbelievebly good looking graph. Nice

Thanks, I was super impressed with it as well. I guess having concrete walls in my basement behind the drywall helps with gain down low. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 13525 Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would seriously consider one of these in the XV but am really concerned about the WAF with the finish texture and the non-rounded top edge. I am looking at the VTF-3 MK4 and would spend the extra couple of dollars on this based on what most in here are saying about it but I just don't know if I could get away with putting it in my family room. Gorilla, you're looking at it up close...thoughts? My wife is way cool ( I have the 10ft screen, the pool table and foosball so no slammin her on WAF) but they are all very nice furniture grade pieces. This looks a little to industrial in the pics for her to bite on and it's to big to hide completely. Not sure I want to use up all my points on this one. With the Hsu, I might be able to swing a second one down the road. With this, I'm sure I'd be one and done with the wife. All who already own one, if married, let me know.

Tom, if you're reading, any finish options coming in the near future?
post #273 of 13525 Old 10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Emesnik - Honestly I think the finish looks and feels great. Unless you're looking to match a wood finish to furniture in the room, there really isn't much reason to pass over this sub for that reason.
I actually just asked my wife (who is relatively picky) what she thought of the finish and she replied " It actually looks nice and it's small enough that it doesn't stick out." I wouldn't hesitate to load a handful of them in my living room. biggrin.gif
post #274 of 13525 Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback Gorilla. I will seriously consider it. Of course the XV is 4 inches taller and 3 inches deeper but it may make a decent back corner end table smile.gif
post #275 of 13525 Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 11
Well I got my XV15 one week ago and I have to say I am extremely pleased with it's performance. I am pretty familiar with Tom's sub design's having owned 25-31's(way back in '01), 20-39 pc+, and also the pb12/plus 2 (totally forgot to mention the pb12/plus2 to Tom in our email discourse!). Anyway back to the XV15. It makes it's presence known even at lower listening volumes. It is punchy, tight, and accurate. I have used it with movies and music and it it is excellent. It goes plenty deep in my 17 x 12 room with 8' ceilings(one fairly large opening). BTW customer service is top notch. I can't say enough about how helpful Tom was with the questions I had (just as he has always been). The XV15 is certainly a winner at this price point (and beyond).

Dalton

You only live once. Get what you want!
post #276 of 13525 Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Hey gorilla83 what do yo like better the PSA or the Empire? Thanks

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #277 of 13525 Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

I think Gorilla has the Legend, not the Empire

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #278 of 13525 Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

I haven't gotten a chance to compare them side by side yet, but the overall sound signature is very similar. The epik does have a bit more output though, especially in the 40-50+hz range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

I think Gorilla has the Legend, not the Empire

I have 2 empires at the moment. wink.gif
post #279 of 13525 Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea i have 2 Empires also, i think there great, what about the 20-30 Hz?. so 1 PSA and 1 Empire are vary similer?, is so then the PSA seems like a great buy, especially for $100 less. Thanks

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
post #280 of 13525 Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The sub event your having this weekend lookes like FUN, wish i lived close by, i would love to hear the other subwoofers, I CANT WAIT to hear the other peoples thoughts on all of the SWEET subs.

PS. are you going to be using the Dual Empires?. THANKS

HT~
2.1CH~
post #281 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey all,
I won the XS-15 at the GTG this weekend at Gorilla's in PA. What a great event, had an absolute blast. I am very excited about how the sub performed at the GTG and am going to use it as my main sub for a bit to post a more thorough review. However I am on vacation the next 2 weeks and I'm going to listen for 2 weeks so the review will not get completed for about a month or a bit more.

Huge thank you to Jim Farina and Tom Vodhanel for such an awesome, classy gift to the GTG lottery. I WON!!! I never win stuff like this :-)
post #282 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Hey all,
I won the XS-15 at the GTG this weekend at Gorilla's in PA. What a great event, had an absolute blast. I am very excited about how the sub performed at the GTG and am going to use it as my main sub for a bit to post a more thorough review. However I am on vacation the next 2 weeks and I'm going to listen for 2 weeks so the review will not get completed for about a month or a bit more.
Huge thank you to Jim Farina and Tom Vodhanel for such an awesome, classy gift to the GTG lottery. I WON!!! I never win stuff like this :-)

Wow!

They donated a sub for the GTG to raffle off???

That is incredible!!

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #283 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100
Hey all,

Hi dstew100, been reading the XS-15 reviews on the GTG Results Thread and really like to read your review as well in a month or so. Congrats on your new sub.
post #284 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Wow!
That is incredible!!
Isn't that just awesome, I was really impressed and surprised as well. Super Super classy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi dstew100, been reading the XS-15 reviews on the GTG Results Thread and really like to read your review as well in a month or so. Congrats on your new sub.

Yeah it did great. Did it hit harder than the dual captivators or 6-18's in the submersive+f2 demo? Of course not, but my first impression was that I could not believe how great it sounded at that price point and I love the looks, really kewl finish and appearance in the down firing configuration.

It was interesting how everything panned out. I showed up a little late and was prepping food, walked downstairs, won it within 2 minutes, and five minutes later I'm holding the remote for the demo (that I hadn't gone through yet, I wasn't too familiar with what to expect until the third pass through) and being asked where to put the high pass filter and such. I hadn't even read the specs yet but I pulled them up real quick. I probably did not do it much justice so it could have done even better but over all it was impressive, sounded very nice, and the responses from the other attendees was very positive.

It's a very capable high value sub, no doubt. Looking forward to spending some time with it listening. and will post more info after EUROTRIP 2012 !!!!
post #285 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

It was interesting how everything panned out. I showed up a little late and was prepping food, walked downstairs, won it within 2 minutes, and five minutes later I'm holding the remote for the demo

All I can say is you're darn lucky I didn't count any faster! biggrin.gif

interesting how everything panned out

Is that a prepping food joke/reference by chance? tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #286 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

That is incredible!!

Yup, brand new. That's a $750 sub too. Tom had actually suggested it to me - I didn't even broach him with the idea (although I was going to at some point wink.gif). Andrew and I were the only ones who knew though, because we didn't want anyone showing up just for that. Turns out that Dave's timing was impeccable; one or two minutes later -- literally -- and the drawing would have occurred without him.

post #287 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Yup, brand new. That's a $750 sub too. Tom had actually suggested it to me - I didn't even broach him with the idea (although I was going to at some point wink.gif). Andrew and I were the only ones who knew though, because we didn't want anyone showing up just for that. Turns out that Dave's timing was impeccable; one or two minutes later -- literally -- and the drawing would have occurred without him.

I was wondering if your review was coming anytime soon?

Thanks, Bill

post #288 of 13525 Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ wonder the same thing just now.
post #289 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Hey all,

Lucky Dog. Under the circumstances, how can you give it anything but a glowing review?wink.gif
post #290 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:

^^^ wonder the same thing just now.

Jim ran into an issue with his XS15 that we couldn't troubleshoot via email so we requested he send it back for inspection(there was one failed resistor in the amp). We didn't want to send the replacement XS15 until he got back from the GTG(he should have it delivered in the next couple days). So everything got delayed slightly.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #291 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

You beat me by 3 lousy minutes Tom! tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I was wondering if your review was coming anytime soon?

My review was pushed back several weeks because I uncovered an issue with the XS15 during the "torture" test. PSA requested the unit be sent to them for evaluation, which I did. They identified the root cause and rectified it, and are now sending me back the updated unit so I can continue with my evaluation.

Now, before anyone goes nuts and starts a bunch of rumors... what occurred with my unit is very atypical. Tom and I have had numerous conversations -- via email and on the phone -- regarding the situation and I'm convinced the issue is very isolated, so fear not.

I believe the PSA subs are first class products backed by first class people. From when I initially encountered the problem, right up to the current time, PSA has been extraordinarily helpful. Both Tom and Jim are true professionals. To an extent I'm actually glad it happened to me because I was in a better position to assist then most others probably would have been, so in a bizarre way it actually worked out.

post #292 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

My review was pushed back several weeks because I uncovered an issue with the XS15 during the "torture" test. PSA requested the unit be sent to them for evaluation, which I did. They identified the root cause and rectified it, and are now sending me back the updated unit so I can continue with my evaluation.
Now, before anyone goes nuts and starts a bunch of rumors... what occurred with my unit is very atypical. Tom and I have had numerous conversations -- via email and on the phone -- regarding the situation and I'm convinced the issue is very isolated, so fear not.
I believe the PSA subs are first class products backed by first class people. From when I initially encountered the problem, right up to the current time, PSA has been extraordinarily helpful. Both Tom and Jim are true professionals. To an extent I'm actually glad it happened to me because I was in a better position to assist then most others probably would have been, so in a bizarre way it actually worked out.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the update and would like to thank-you for all the work you do.

post #293 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the update and would like to thank-you for all the work you do.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you find some value in the reviews.

post #294 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 334
When you absoutley need deep pounding room shaking bass, Dual PSA XV-30's are the answer biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I ordered a pair of Dual PSA XV-30's and they arrived today and I have to say that I am speechless. The size alone is asounding, but the best part is the deep, rich bass. I now can feel the air moving around the room smile.gif

To Tom and Jim, you guys hit it out the park with the XV-30! Great product and great service. Thanks again!

A few pic's of the XV-30's unboxing.

DSCF1962_zpscbe1dca8.jpg

DSCF1963_zpsbc7f6617.jpg

This is the first time that I had to unbox the subs outside, it is a two man job..

DSCF1964_zpsc509b4c4.jpg

DSCF1983_zpsaa4d7ea9.jpg
post #295 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Those r sum big subs, i just ordered 2 xv15s cant wait to get them

panasonic 65st50
marantz sr6006 amp crown xls2500
front goldenear triton 2s
center def tech clr 2500
sides def tech bp7004
sur back def tech bp 1.2x
subs 2 psa xv15s, 2 SI18's sealed 11 cu ft
Blu rays 396
post #296 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I ordered a pair of Dual PSA XV-30's and they arrived today and I have to say that I am speechless. The size alone is asounding, but the best part is the deep, rich bass. I now can feel the air moving around the room smile.gif

Hi Reefdvr27, OMG what happen to the two XV-15? You still own the Outlaws (Plus & EX)? Whats your opinion between the Outlaw and XV-15?
post #297 of 13525 Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Jim ran into an issue with his XS15 that we couldn't troubleshoot via email so we requested he send it back for inspection(there was one failed resistor in the amp). We didn't want to send the replacement XS15 until he got back from the GTG(he should have it delivered in the next couple days). So everything got delayed slightly.
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Quote:

My review was pushed back several weeks because I uncovered an issue with the XS15 during the "torture" test.

Thanks Tom and Jim, I will wait patiently for your review.
post #298 of 13525 Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 AM

Hi guys im new to this forum and had a a couple questions about sub placement with my xv15s coming on thursday, i will be grateful for any advice. My front speakers r ge triton 2s, sides r def tech bp7004s. All 4 speakers have subs in them so would i be better off putting the psa subs by each other to get more of chest pound feeling r should i still put them in a corner i also thought about on either end of the 2 recliners thanks again guys looking forward to what u think, and my room is 24x28. Rectangle

Reefdvr27 u should make a video of those bad boys in action

panasonic 65st50
marantz sr6006 amp crown xls2500
front goldenear triton 2s
center def tech clr 2500
sides def tech bp7004
sur back def tech bp 1.2x
subs 2 psa xv15s, 2 SI18's sealed 11 cu ft
Blu rays 396
post #299 of 13525 Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Hi Reefdvr27, OMG what happen to the two XV-15? You still own the Outlaws (Plus & EX)? Whats your opinion between the Outlaw and XV-15?
Still got em biggrin.gif
To compare the Outlaw to the XV-15. At low levels they sounded pretty close, but when you got in to the higher volume with deep LFE is where the XV-15 outperforms the EX.
post #300 of 13525 Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Still got em biggrin.gif
To compare the Outlaw to the XV-15. At low levels they sounded pretty close, but when you got in to the higher volume with deep LFE is where the XV-15 outperforms the EX.

I'm looking at a new sub. Want something that can play low, but don't need anything too loud. I was wondering if the extra $200 for the XV15 over the outlaw, when on sale, is worth it. It doesn't sound like it would be worth it to me.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page