Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
lol. Folks are just hanging out. And leave them alone. These are the same folks who will be posting pics of the Triax biggrin.gif
ahblaza likes this.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

When did this become the Oxygen channel?

I thought it always was, now please answer my questions, LOL...........wink.gif

j_nordi
post #3513 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

LOL!!! +1!
post #3514 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Days of our Subwoofers
post #3515 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Which would you get for a room approx 14x25, cathedral ceiling, open to upstairs landing behind listening area, total volume approx 5500 ft3; two XS30's or two XV15's ($665 less than XV30's)?

Thanks. smile.gif

Anyone? frown.gif

post #3516 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone? frown.gif

Did you not read thru the last couple pages? We responded to your post...
post #3517 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Did you not read thru the last couple pages? We responded to your post...

Doh!

Looks like I missed a page of discussion. I'll blame it on being ill the past few days and being on meds......yeah, that's it. biggrin.gif

Someone mentioned Tom recommending dual XV30's to me, but we haven't discussed that since they are simply too big. I was looking at a single XV30f to go with my existing SVS 16-46 PC+, but the conversation has progressed to just eliminating the SVS and going with a pair of PSA subs. Since I'm thinking the XV30f would just be too visually imposing (remember, this is in our living room) we're down the the shorter boxes. My latest thought would either be a pair of XV15's or a pair of XS30's as I indicated in my previous post. Tom is recommending the dual XS30's if I can stretch my budget that far (I had wanted to keep it around $1500 if possible). He said the output around the XV15's tune would be similar, but the XS30 would have an advantage below the XV15's tune and in the mid/upper bass.

The main issue I'm running into with either of these options is placement. Either would fit where my current sub resides (corner behind the left front speaker; right side in the photo), but the second sub will only fit in the corner to the left of the sofa (behind the chair in the left side of the photo).

Since I've never had a multi sub setup (I've only had a sub where it now resides) I have no idea if this placement would work well. Btw, a single sub in the current location works pretty well. Here's the response I'm getting now (1/6th smoothing, no EQ or room correction)

The two lines just show where I lowered the sub level a couple db to see the effect.

Considering the issue with placing a second sub, I did toy with the idea of putting an XS30 in the current sub location, then match it with an XS15 which is small enough to put on either side of the sofa or either side of the TV. I figured this would give me much more flexibility in getting the subs to work well together, but the cost would be lower output abilities (but perhaps still be enough??).

I had thought about just getting a single sub to replace mine since that corner seems to work well, but anything that would be a significant upgrade would be too big or too expensive (I did consider an SVS PC13 Ultra since it is the same size as mine, but I have a few concerns about it).

I've been bugging poor Tom so much with my "what about this combo" questions. Fortunately he has been very patient. biggrin.gif

My goal is to have more headroom/output without giving up the low bass extension I currently enjoy and better SQ.

Thanks guys. I'll try not to miss your responses this time. biggrin.gif

post #3518 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

LOL.... totally. I thought Beeman's post, and mine, were pushing the limits. That last post reminded me of being stuck on the Dr. Phil channel. lol...... TMI TMI tongue.gif

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #3519 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

And when the Feds get tired of killing our 401(k), she's good with us upgrading the subwoofers.

(oh look, there's life in that 401(k). lets kill it)

Off hand, does anybody know what kind of output the XS30 has in the <15Hz range? According to posted manufacture's measurements, at -6dB, it's rated 11Hz.

-

BeeMan, I seem to recall am email where I asked Tom a similar question. I think he said at around 12hz it was something like 98-99db. I'm sure Tom would weigh in f he reads this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #3520 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Doh!

Looks like I missed a page of discussion. I'll blame it on being ill the past few days and being on meds......yeah, that's it. biggrin.gif

Someone mentioned Tom recommending dual XV30's to me, but we haven't discussed that since they are simply too big. I was looking at a single XV30f to go with my existing SVS 16-46 PC+, but the conversation has progressed to just eliminating the SVS and going with a pair of PSA subs. Since I'm thinking the XV30f would just be too visually imposing (remember, this is in our living room) we're down the the shorter boxes. My latest thought would either be a pair of XV15's or a pair of XS30's as I indicated in my previous post. Tom is recommending the dual XS30's if I can stretch my budget that far (I had wanted to keep it around $1500 if possible). He said the output around the XV15's tune would be similar, but the XS30 would have an advantage below the XV15's tune and in the mid/upper bass.

The main issue I'm running into with either of these options is placement. Either would fit where my current sub resides (corner behind the left front speaker; right side in the photo), but the second sub will only fit in the corner to the left of the sofa (behind the chair in the left side of the photo).

Since I've never had a multi sub setup (I've only had a sub where it now resides) I have no idea if this placement would work well. Btw, a single sub in the current location works pretty well. Here's the response I'm getting now (1/6th smoothing, no EQ or room correction)

The two lines just show where I lowered the sub level a couple db to see the effect.

Considering the issue with placing a second sub, I did toy with the idea of putting an XS30 in the current sub location, then match it with an XS15 which is small enough to put on either side of the sofa or either side of the TV. I figured this would give me much more flexibility in getting the subs to work well together, but the cost would be lower output abilities (but perhaps still be enough??).

I had thought about just getting a single sub to replace mine since that corner seems to work well, but anything that would be a significant upgrade would be too big or too expensive (I did consider an SVS PC13 Ultra since it is the same size as mine, but I have a few concerns about it).

I've been bugging poor Tom so much with my "what about this combo" questions. Fortunately he has been very patient. biggrin.gif

My goal is to have more headroom/output without giving up the low bass extension I currently enjoy and better SQ.

Tom knows his products better than anyone save maybe Jim. I would go with what Tom recommends. If he thinks it will be enough for you room it probably will be. Two XS30's should be a very nice upgrade. The only single subs I think would fit the bill would be expensive (JTR, Seaton) and of course the PSA Triax.

I'm sure if you can make room for two subs you will more satisfied.

ShaunH
post #3521 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Speaking of amplifier gain on the Triax, where do you think a good starting point would be there since this amp is different than the X amps. Mine are at 2-3 o'clock now. Thanks guys, keep up the good wife compatibility talk, my SO is really that, a very significant other person whom I have the pleasure of being married to and sharing my life with.
Cheers Jeff smile.gif

Jeff I think it would be safe to say that 12o'clock position would be a good starting point.

I've mentioned this before, but my wife puts up with my AV hobby and also an expensive dirt bike hobby and all it cost me was a boob job!....lol
Well a few expensive pieces of jewellery also helped too.
But I guess I could say that was for me too so I'm not really complaining biggrin.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #3522 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doh!

So Tom said the xs30's would extend lower than the xv subs in that large room? I agree they would have more output below the xv15's port tune being it can get the room gain.
post #3523 of 13006 Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any plans on a veneer option for the XS15?
post #3524 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi,
i am wondering if it is possible to connect two sound bars to one digital audio out on the back of my tv using a digital audio out splitter? if so, is there any quality issues? thanks for any feedback. i am a rookie audio guy obviously..
or is there a better way?
post #3525 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I seem to recall am email where I asked Tom a similar question. I think he said at around 12hz it was something like 98-99db. I'm sure Tom would weigh in f he reads this.

Thanks!

With the XS30, I can blend this with a Rythmik, E15 as for many reasons, I'm partial to front/rear firing and sealed design vs downward firing, ported subwoofer design and due to output levels, I'm partial to PSA subwoofers. Then enters niggles such as size of the box and a box's ability to blend with existing decor.

-
post #3526 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:

Doh!

just so we are clear (and not meant to sound like a d-bag) you have a pc 16-46 and you think an XV30F is imposing? biggrin.gif

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #3527 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

With the XS30, I can blend this with a Rythmik, E15 as for many reasons, I'm partial to front firing vs downward firing subwoofer design and due to output levels, I'm partial to PSA subwoofers. Then enters niggles such as size of the box and a box's ability to blend with existing decor.

Curious, how does front firing have any difference over downfiring as far as output levels?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #3528 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Curious, how does front firing have any difference over downfiring as far as output levels?

It doesn't have anything to do with output levels.

My comment regarding output levels has nothing to do with front firing vs downward firing. I'm guessing you misunderstood my comment as due to output capability, I favor PSA.

"...and due to output levels, I'm partial to PSA subwoofers."
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #3529 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't have anything to do with output levels.

My comment regarding output levels has nothing to do with front firing vs downward firing. I'm guessing you misunderstood my comment as due to output capability, I favor PSA.

"...and due to output levels, I'm partial to PSA subwoofers."

Ah I see...Thx!
post #3530 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM

That whole English grammar thingy can really mess up a good story.
post #3531 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by markshaver View Post

hi,
i am wondering if it is possible to connect two sound bars to one digital audio out on the back of my tv using a digital audio out splitter? if so, is there any quality issues? thanks for any feedback. i am a rookie audio guy obviously..
or is there a better way?

Is it a Toslink digital plug (fiber optic)? if so you might be able to use one of these from Monoprice. The description says it splits one signal into 2, so its a unidirectional plug.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=966&seq=1&format=2

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #3532 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Jeff I think it would be safe to say that 12o'clock position would be a good starting point.

I've mentioned this before, but my wife puts up with my AV hobby and also an expensive dirt bike hobby and all it cost me was a boob job!....lol
Well a few expensive pieces of jewellery also helped too.
But I guess I could say that was for me too so I'm not really complaining biggrin.gif

The big amps have their gain controls labeled 0 to -36dB. I'd start somewhere in the -12 to -16 range based on what we've noted in our listening sessions with different room sizes.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3533 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post

Any plans on a veneer option for the XS15?

No definitive plans for that at the moment.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3534 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So Tom said the xs30's would extend lower than the xv subs in that large room? I agree they would have more output below the xv15's port tune being it can get the room gain.

The DSP shaped roll off for the XV15 and XS30s are actually very similar down to the 17-19hz range. The XV15 begins a more rapid rolloff here as the port output will become out/phase.

I also believe that having four 15s in the room will "load" things a bit down low. It wouldn't surprise me to see 4-8dB of PVG by the mid teens.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3535 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would assume since its double the power of a cap with 3 15" drivers that have similar xmax, it should be very close. The captivator is bass reflex. My concern is a sealed sub, or even a pair, being able to generate enough room gain to extend deep. Most folks HT rooms are not 5500^3 so its hard for me to say. This would be a good time for Tom to step in and offer his expertise.

Really can't say with certainty as I can't reference any data on the jtrs. You can get some estimates using calculators but I'd just consider those "rough guesses". Once you get into the "super sub" territory splitting hairs on output at one frequency wouldn't be my primary concern. The aesthetics and their intended usage within different room decors are quite different for example. Also, like always, I would advise any potential customer to consider every aspect of the purchase----customer service(pre and post sales), warranty, styling/aesthetics,available finish options, intended application(s) etc. Based on the jtr customer comments and my own experiences with the Triax do a coin flip because the end user will be in "jaw drop" mode anyway..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #3536 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

Tom knows his products better than anyone save maybe Jim. I would go with what Tom recommends. If he thinks it will be enough for you room it probably will be. Two XS30's should be a very nice upgrade. The only single subs I think would fit the bill would be expensive (JTR, Seaton) and of course the PSA Triax.

I'm sure if you can make room for two subs you will more satisfied.

Tom was a great help when I bought my current SVS sub from him over 10 years ago and he continues to be today. Floor space is an issue however, so may have to go with a plan B which unfortunately would be less output, but certainly more than what I have now. I've certainly considered a single sub solution and the Seaton SubMersive certainly looks interesting, albiet a bit above my budget. However, I cannot find any test results for that sub and my PM's to Mr. Seaton have gone unanswered (Tom really spoils us with his fast response time!). I'd like to see some numbers so I can make a valid comparison.

There's also the opton to go with dual XV15's, although space for the second one is still an issue. It doesn't seem like I would be giving up much (I don't know that I would use the dual XS30's extra output in the mid/upper bass) plus I would save about $665; I could use part of that for a nice veneer finish. wink.gif

Quote:

I sent Tom a video tour of my room, so I think he has a good idea of the entire space. Here's what he said about room gain in my room:
Quote:
...Even in your larger room you can expect some "room gain". I'd say 2-4dB at 20hz and 3-5dB at 15hz would be the minimum I'd expect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

just so we are clear (and not meant to sound like a d-bag) you have a pc 16-46 and you think an XV30F is imposing? biggrin.gif

LOL......no offense taken. wink.gif . I was waiting for someone to say something about this. biggrin.gif It isn't so much the height as it is the foot print and difference in the way a more slender cylinder form feels in the room compared to a larger box. Although the 16-46 isn't small by any means, it just fits nice into the corner without feeling like it taking up much space. I attribute this to the round design. A large, tall box in that spot would feel much more massive to me. I hope this makes sense. redface.gif

Thanks everyone for the responses. Getting this stuff out of my head for others to provide feedback is very helpful. smile.gif

post #3537 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW our phones are hit/miss today. We are working on it.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3538 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tom was a great help when I bought my current SVS sub from him over 10 years ago and he continues to be today. Floor space is an issue however, so may have to go with a plan B which unfortunately would be less output, but certainly more than what I have now. I've certainly considered a single sub solution and the Seaton SubMersive certainly looks interesting, albiet a bit above my budget. However, I cannot find any test results for that sub and my PM's to Mr. Seaton have gone unanswered (Tom really spoils us with his fast response time!). I'd like to see some numbers so I can make a valid comparison.

There's also the opton to go with dual XV15's, although space for the second one is still an issue. It doesn't seem like I would be giving up much (I don't know that I would use the dual XS30's extra output in the mid/upper bass) plus I would save about $665; I could use part of that for a nice veneer finish. wink.gif
I sent Tom a video tour of my room, so I think he has a good idea of the entire space. Here's what he said about room gain in my room:

LOL......no offense taken. wink.gif . I was waiting for someone to say something about this. biggrin.gif It isn't so much the height as it is the foot print and difference in the way a more slender cylinder form feels in the room compared to a larger box. Although the 16-46 isn't small by any means, it just fits nice into the corner without feeling like it taking up much space. I attribute this to the round design. A large, tall box in that spot would feel much more massive to me. I hope this makes sense. redface.gif

Thanks everyone for the responses. Getting this stuff out of my head for others to provide feedback is very helpful. smile.gif

So the xs30's are not going to extend lower in that room? my xv15's extend to 15hz easily...the xs30 is larger than the xv15, which is why I am asking this since you said space is tight. Also that 16-46 svs sub is huge and ugly imo...a xv30f would look much better but thats jmo.
post #3539 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the xs30's are not going to extend lower in that room? my xv15's extend to 15hz easily...the xs30 is larger than the xv15, which is why I am asking this since you said space is tight. Also that 16-46 svs sub is huge and ugly imo...a xv30f would look much better but thats jmo.

I think I'm missing something...confused.gif My understanding is once we get much below the XV15's tuning frequency, the XS30 will have the advantage since the XV15 will drop off much quicker than the XS30. Tom indicated to me that in my room I can expect lower extension from the XS30. If I'm misunderstanding please correct me.

BTW, that's great to know your XV15's extend that low. Do I remember correctly you have two of them? As you can see in the graph I posted earlier, my 16-46 stays strong at the left end of the graph (15hz). The 16-46's native tune is about 16hz. I'd really like to keep that kind of extension if possible, albiet with more headroom than my 16-46. Do you think I'll get that from a pair of XV15's?

What, you don't like the big black carpet covered water heater look? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif LOL.......I wasn't too sure about it when I ordered it, but I kinda like the way it looks. tongue.gif

EDIT:

Perhaps this is the cause of the XS30 extension confusion:
Quote:
....It doesn't seem like I would be giving up much (I don't know that I would use the dual XS30's extra output in the mid/upper bass).....

If so, my appologies. I see now it's not clear, but what I should have said is that I don't think I would be giving up much in useful extension with the XV15's and that I'm not sure I would benefit from the additional headroom the XS30's would offer in the mid/upper bass.

post #3540 of 13006 Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

.... Also, like always, I would advise any potential customer to consider every aspect of the purchase----customer service(pre and post sales), warranty, .....

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Amen!

The only thing that would make PSA's service better is if Tom would personally deliver the subs to my house and set them up for me! biggrin.gif

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page