What, me worry?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 117
For those of you not following the Triax thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread/90#post_23826636
oneeyeblind likes this.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #6483 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 25
Triax shipping number received. Cannot wait!
ellisr63 and oneeyeblind like this.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
post #6484 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 139
So, I've had my dual XS15s for about 8 months or so...and I'm feeling the need for more bass. smile.gif

I want to get 2 more 15s, I think that should just about do it...but the question is - 2 more XS15s, or 2 XV15s?

How do you guys think they would mix together....best of both worlds, or an utter disaster?
post #6485 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

So, I've had my dual XS15s for about 8 months or so...and I'm feeling the need for more bass. smile.gif

I want to get 2 more 15s, I think that should just about do it...but the question is - 2 more XS15s, or 2 XV15s?

How do you guys think they would mix together....best of both worlds, or an utter disaster?

Your better off staying with one or the other sealed or ported but not both. They have different role off profiles and that can make it hard to ingrate subs together.

ShaunH
post #6486 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Better not to mix alignments and handling characteristics, if you have any choice.

If you like the XS15's general character, maybe you could sell them and replace them with XS30s?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #6487 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

Hi Alan,

What exactly do you feel is lacking in your current system? This is the most important question if you want a well-directed response to your query. Do you want more total output? Deeper extension? More kick? More punch? More pressurization? What speakers do you have? Can they "keep up" with a higher output subwoofer system?
Quote:

Do you have the ability to measure your response? You may already have enough subwoofage to meet your needs, but that subwoofage just hasn't been "optimized" for your room and listening position. More importantly, you could add more subwoofage, either sealed or vented, and still not get to where you want to go... without measurement capability.

In general, it is better to add more sealed subs to a sealed sub system. The different transient response of a vented sub makes it significantly more difficult to integrate a vented sub into a sealed sub system. Attempting to add vented subs to a sealed sub system absolutely requires the ability to measure the response. Otherwise, you're likely to end up with augmentation above the port tune of the vented sub, but cancellation below port tune.

Please provide some info about your room, (size, shape, openings, listening position, etc.)

Craig
oneeyeblind likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #6488 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:

Long time no post? Glad to see you are back smile.gif

I would probably go with 2 more XS15's or a XS30 to make the integration easier! I believe several folks have integrated ported and sealed successfully, but they used a mini dsp to adjust the delay for each sub to combat the cancellation at the ported subs tuning point.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6489 of 12782 Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hi Alan,

What exactly do you feel is lacking in your current system? This is the most important question if you want a well-directed response to your query. Do you want more total output? Deeper extension? More kick? More punch? More pressurization? What speakers do you have? Can they "keep up" with a higher output subwoofer system?
Do you have the ability to measure your response? You may already have enough subwoofage to meet your needs, but that subwoofage just hasn't been "optimized" for your room and listening position. More importantly, you could add more subwoofage, either sealed or vented, and still not get to where you want to go... without measurement capability.

In general, it is better to add more sealed subs to a sealed sub system. The different transient response of a vented sub makes it significantly more difficult to integrate a vented sub into a sealed sub system. Attempting to add vented subs to a sealed sub system absolutely requires the ability to measure the response. Otherwise, you're likely to end up with augmentation above the port tune of the vented sub, but cancellation below port tune.

Please provide some info about your room, (size, shape, openings, listening position, etc.)

Craig

Craig - we've talked before on here and I appreciate your advice, although like basshead says, I've been off the forum for awhile....just enjoying my system. smile.gif

What I feel is lacking: well, I had a couple of 20 year old Velodyne F1500s that were beginning to show signs of old age. I repaired them a couple of times, and then one finally gave up the ghost. It was then I acquired the dual XS15s. The XS15s played quite well with my one remaining Velo...but about 2 months ago, it broke beyond repair. Since the last Velo died, I've just felt a hole in extension. I think my total output is more than sufficient...I could use a bit more kick in the mid-bass...and I have no hope of ever pressurizing my very open living space (~3800 cubic ft.). smile.gif

My FL/R are Klipschorns...center is a Klipsch RC-64II...surrounds are 20 year old Polk LS f/x but still sound great.

I have been measuring my system for around 6-8 months with REW, so I am familiar. My "subwoofage" is definitely optimized. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Long time no post? Glad to see you are back smile.gif

I would probably go with 2 more XS15's or a XS30 to make the integration easier! I believe several folks have integrated ported and sealed successfully, but they used a mini dsp to adjust the delay for each sub to combat the cancellation at the ported subs tuning point.

Thanks! Glad to be back...well, sort of...just means I'm getting ready to spend more money. wink.gif

After your guys's advice, I'll definitely be going sealed with the additional subs, and that was my first instinct as well....I just wanted to make sure that was the best course.
post #6490 of 12782 Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Craig - we've talked before on here and I appreciate your advice, although like basshead says, I've been off the forum for awhile....just enjoying my system. smile.gif

What I feel is lacking: well, I had a couple of 20 year old Velodyne F1500s that were beginning to show signs of old age. I repaired them a couple of times, and then one finally gave up the ghost. It was then I acquired the dual XS15s. The XS15s played quite well with my one remaining Velo...but about 2 months ago, it broke beyond repair. Since the last Velo died, I've just felt a hole in extension. I think my total output is more than sufficient...I could use a bit more kick in the mid-bass...and I have no hope of ever pressurizing my very open living space (~3800 cubic ft.). smile.gif
I would say if you are looking for more mid bass and you already have two XS-15s, to go with a XS30! Should be a match made in heaven.
post #6491 of 12782 Old 10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Rediscovering my Gorillaz albums. D-Sides Disc 1, track Hongkongaton?
Like a dang ol' bass massage
oneeyeblind likes this.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #6492 of 12782 Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

^ man I tell you what that dag'on gorillaz album got that dag'on back massage bass...ummhum dag'on.

Edit*

This could be a Zinger.
post #6493 of 12782 Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
maybe smile.gif I don't think so, Interesting site though huh.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6494 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ man I tell you what that dag'on gorillaz album got that dag'on back massage bass...ummhum dag'on.

Edit*

This could be a Zinger.

post #6495 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
So, I have almost a week on my XV15 and what comes to mind is WOW eek.gif Coming from a Cadence CSX-12 II to an SVS PB-1000 and finally to the XV15 was an incredible step-by-step process. The Cadence was fine for me from 40hz on up, and not bad to 30hz, but lacked anything below that. The SVS was my first experience into true 20hz, shake my chair stuff, but seemed a bit overwhelmed by my room in the 40hz on up range.

The XV15 is just stupid. During the emergence scene from WOTW, if feels as though someone is behind my seat shaking it......It's pretty ridiculous. It also kills the 40hz plus range and sounds phenomenal on Saving Private Ryan. All of the gun blasts sound like what I imagine they should sound like......LOUD!

I don't like to crank music like I do movies and usually listen to most stuff at -20db to -35db. The XV15 digs deep and reveals so much that I have been missing in songs very familiar to me. It sounds wonderful and blends perfectly with my Klipsch speakers.

This is just a short synopsis of my XV15 and could not be happier. I haven't even gotten into the 30min or more that Tom and I have spoken, (although a lot of that time was about Cleveland Browns football), the fit and finish of the unit, the awesome packaging of the unit, as well as the made in the USA tag that is very important to me. If you are reading this thread and on the fence between a PSA product and another manufacturer, do yourself a favor and trust your gut and go with the PSA, you won't be sorry.

Lastly, some of you guys are nutz! I read that some of you have 2,3,4 of these subs and I just don't know how you guys do it. eek.gif One is plenty for me! biggrin.gif
ellisr63 and oneeyeblind like this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #6496 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

So, I have almost a week on my XV15 and what comes to mind is WOW eek.gif Coming from a Cadence CSX-12 II to an SVS PB-1000 and finally to the XV15 was an incredible step-by-step process. The Cadence was fine for me from 40hz on up, and not bad to 30hz, but lacked anything below that. The SVS was my first experience into true 20hz, shake my chair stuff, but seemed a bit overwhelmed by my room in the 40hz on up range.

The XV15 is just stupid. During the emergence scene from WOTW, if feels as though someone is behind my seat shaking it......It's pretty ridiculous. It also kills the 40hz plus range and sounds phenomenal on Saving Private Ryan. All of the gun blasts sound like what I imagine they should sound like......LOUD!

I don't like to crank music like I do movies and usually listen to most stuff at -20db to -35db. The XV15 digs deep and reveals so much that I have been missing in songs very familiar to me. It sounds wonderful and blends perfectly with my Klipsch speakers.

This is just a short synopsis of my XV15 and could not be happier. I haven't even gotten into the 30min or more that Tom and I have spoken, (although a lot of that time was about Cleveland Browns football), the fit and finish of the unit, the awesome packaging of the unit, as well as the made in the USA tag that is very important to me. If you are reading this thread and on the fence between a PSA product and another manufacturer, do yourself a favor and trust your gut and go with the PSA, you won't be sorry.

Lastly, some of you guys are nutz! I read that some of you have 2,3,4 of these subs and I just don't know how you guys do it. eek.gif One is plenty for me! biggrin.gif

I'm glad you are enjoying your sub. CONGRATS!
D Bone likes this.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #6497 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hahaha. Pure awesome. Congratulations smile.gif
ellisr63 and D Bone like this.

post #6498 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright! good deal, glad you found what you’re looking for. Pics? smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #6499 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

I read that some of you have 2,3,4 of these subs and I just don't know how you guys do it. eek.gif One is plenty for me! biggrin.gif

It's not about playing it loud but instead is about smoothing out the room modes so as to have a flat frequency response because a bad setup will rob a subwoofer reproduction system of it's performance characteristics.
post #6500 of 12782 Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It's not about playing it loud but instead is about smoothing out the room modes so as to have a flat frequency response because a bad setup will rob a subwoofer reproduction system of it's performance characteristics.

Exactly! I bought 3 for smoothing the room modes, not entirely for output. I have found the less eq'ing the better.. this method maintains the most headroom and better sound quality.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #6501 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Triax's have arrived! It will be awhile before I get them rolling. I will give some thoughts later on tonight. I gotta finish mowing the lawn and my helper is not here yet.

IMG_0482.JPG 2153k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0482.JPG (2.10 MB, 90 views)
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6502 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Triax's have arrived! It will be awhile before I get them rolling. I will give some thoughts later on tonight. I gotta finish mowing the lawn and my helper is not here yet.

Wait, just two of them............oh, c'mon man!

LOL.............congrats!!!! It has been a longer than expected wait, but I'm positive at the end it totally worthed.

Please report back as soon you have a chance...........wink.gif
post #6503 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Wait, just two of them............oh, c'mon man!

LOL.............congrats!!!! It has been a longer than expected wait, but I'm positive at the end it totally worthed.

Please report back as soon you have a chance...........wink.gif
+1 congrats!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #6504 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yahoo! Looking forward to this. dang lawn
oneeyeblind likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #6505 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

I gotta finish mowing the lawn.......

Yes, the lawn is a jealous mistress. tongue.gif

Congrats! Looking forward to your first impressions.
post #6506 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:

If you can afford two triaxes, surely you can have someone mow your lawn while you are inside dedicating time to taking multiple pictures while setting up your babies and letting us know your thoughts wink.gif congrats and enjoy!
post #6507 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
My lonely single Triax while be here tomorrow the 16th, 280 pounds eek.gif

j_nordi
post #6508 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

If you can afford two triaxes, surely you can have someone mow your lawn while you are inside dedicating time to taking multiple pictures while setting up your babies and letting us know your thoughts wink.gif congrats and enjoy!

On the other side of the coin, maybe thats how he can afford two Triax's by not paying to have everything done?
post #6509 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

On the other side of the coin, maybe thats how he can afford two Triax's by not paying to have everything done?

Touché......tongue.gif
post #6510 of 12782 Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

Actually I like mowing the lawn. If it really matters, I have a lawn service, they take care of everything but the cutting.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page