Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6571 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The XV30 will have a 2.5dB to 3.5dB edge across the operating bandwidth(16-100hz Wv7Zu) compared to the XV15. Adding a second XV15 will give you about 6dB more if you co-locate them in the room. If you separate them....say one in each front corner of a medium sized room....the second unit will add more like 3.5 to 4dB(instead of 6dB).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

That being said just your primary room itself is 3800^3 which is a fairly good sized room. I dont think the XS15's will be enough of a upgrade. 3 XV15's would be since they will have a 4-6db advantage around the port tune which is huge. Or since you are really wanting sealed, 3 XS30's would do the trick. They would come really close to the XV15 around port tune and have more everywhere else...not to mention they would have enough power and displacement to dig down deep.

The main listening room is 3,300^3. It has two large openings, one into the kitchen with a pass through window and one into the hallway that opens into the dining room. I can't do three XS30s but can see my way to do either three XS15s or start with two XS15s and later adding a XS30.

I'm getting close to being able to buy so I was curious what yours or anybody elses thoughts are on the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsrock View Post

The XV30 will have a 2.5dB to 3.5dB edge across the operating bandwidth(16-100hz Wv7Zu
) compared to the XV15. Adding a second XV15 will give you about 6dB more if you co-locate them in the room. If you separate them....say one in each front corner of a medium sized room....the second unit will add more like 3.5 to 4dB(instead of 6dB).

Due to extension issues, I'm wanting to go with sealed vs vented. Due to sealed not having the output of vented, I'm considering upping my game to include a single XS30 to compliment two XS15s. That will work out to four 15" drivers banging away in the main listening room as opposed to it's current compliment of three 12" drivers.
post #6573 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

The main listening room is 3,300^3. It has two large openings, one into the kitchen with a pass through window and one into the hallway that opens into the dining room. I can't do three XS30s but can see my way to do either three XS15s or start with two XS15s and later adding a XS30.

I'm getting close to being able to buy so I was curious what yours or anybody elses thoughts are on the above.
Due to extension issues, I'm wanting to go with sealed vs vented. Due to sealed not having the output of vented, I'm considering upping my game to include a single XS30 to compliment two XS15s. That will work out to four 15" drivers banging away in the main listening room as opposed to it's current compliment of three 12" drivers.

I think dual XS15's and a single XS30 should work...the only thing I see is you will be approaching the limits of the XS15's well before the 30. So the 15's will need to be calibrated lower then the 30.
post #6574 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:

BeeMan, why not start out with two XS30's?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #6575 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Basshead, have you had a chance to watch Pacific Rim yet in your room?

I watched in the other night with the wife and kids, holy crap that's a great bass movie. The XS30's were shacking the house pretty violently!...lol
steve nn and oneeyeblind like this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #6576 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Beeman will sealed subs give you the SPL you want at the lower freqs??? I had always heard go with ported for large/open areas and sealed for small/sealed areas. From what I understand sealed subs only benefit greatly from room gain in a sealed room UNLESS you have enough sub and power to pressurize the entire open area. I'm thinking that 3 XS15s or 2 XS15s and an XS30 aren't enough to pressurize that whole area. I'm thinking some combo of XV15s and XV30s would be better suited to your situation. I know you said you can't do 4 subs but if you could do 2 XV30s up front and 2 XV15s near field I bet that would be sweet.

But I would talk to Tom and Jim I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction.

Shawn
post #6577 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Basshead, have you had a chance to watch Pacific Rim yet in your room?

I watched in the other night with the wife and kids, holy crap that's a great bass movie. The XS30's were shacking the house pretty violently!...lol

COOL! looking forward to redbox when it's time.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6578 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck42 View Post

Found a few images with the base:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/chela313/basement/psa001.jpg

I have a few other photos in that album that show two XV-15s with bases in my home theater. I need to take more pics now that the room is finished and includes a third XV-15, sans base, in the back corner of the room.
post #6579 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Looking forward to seeing your pics Jeff....I'm starting to kick the tires on replacing my current sub with the XS30....my number one goal is to get something comparable that would nicely match the finish of my mains and a sealed sub is preferred.. Another option would be to look into some custom builds which most certainly be more costly.

Take care and good luck with the hip surg...Bill

Ps: My daughter and her BF are driving down for the game this weekend....he's a HUGE Steelers fan...

Thanks Billy, that means a lot to me, I'm really scared with the hip surgery as I have to have the right one done also about five weeks after the left one. You will love the XS30 with the cordovan finish, should match your STs pretty closely. I finally got it down into my HT room with a friends help, I took the rubber feet off the base and he slid the sub down the carpeted stairs very carefully, 230 pounds of run away train biggrin.gif
This is truly a work of art, the finish is flawless, all corners and edges are perfect, the grain is also highlighted to perfection. I will try to get some pics up today before I put it in it's final resting place. The cheap magic sliders from Dollar General ( 4 for $5) under the sub makes for sliding with one hand on carpet. Take care my friend and thanks to you and all for the well wishes for my surgery. Again the XS30 cordovan is the way to go with the STs. Yeah the Steelers finally won a game.biggrin.gif
Best Regards, Jeffrey
Billy p likes this.

j_nordi
post #6580 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I think dual XS15's and a single XS30 should work...the only thing I see is you will be approaching the limits of the XS15's well before the 30. So the 15's will need to be calibrated lower then the 30.

I hate it when that happens. The room only has room for three placements and I'm pushing the third placement with the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

BeeMan, why not start out with two XS30's?

It's a matter of budget and placement. Currently we have three, 12", vented (two with passive radiators) subwoofers. Everybody has said, don't bother trying to blend the two because the fight to blend vented with sealed will not be worth the effort so I would be trashing our current subwoofer sound reproduction system. I would love to start out with two XS30s and stack them but now I have issues smoothing the room modes and budgetary constraints. I'm sure you're right in your recommendation regarding buying two XS30s; suffering with one and later buying a second or third one.

The current solution that I see to our subwoofer upgrade conundrum, in the beginning, buy a pair of XS15s and later add a XS30.
post #6581 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 46
Dilemma. My wife has approved a 2nd XV30f for our 8k^3 living room. Tom has recommended going that route vs. the XV15 to be safe but man...that's a lot of huge speakerboxes on one wall (shared with Klipsch KG 5.5s).

I'm trying to convince myself that I won't regret eating up that much room with subs down the road (I know my inner bass enthusiast wants the 2nd XV30f..). Is anyone else running 2 XV30s in their main living area? If so, how has that been working out post-purchase?

post #6582 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Beeman will sealed subs give you the SPL you want at the lower freqs??? I had always heard go with ported for large/open areas and sealed for small/sealed areas. From what I understand sealed subs only benefit greatly from room gain in a sealed room UNLESS you have enough sub and power to pressurize the entire open area. I'm thinking that 3 XS15s or 2 XS15s and an XS30 aren't enough to pressurize that whole area. I'm thinking some combo of XV15s and XV30s would be better suited to your situation. I know you said you can't do 4 subs but if you could do 2 XV30s up front and 2 XV15s near field I bet that would be sweet.

Yes, absolutely, a four subwoofer solution would be sweet.

Due to size constraints, the best we can do nearfield, is limited to one XS15. According to REW, the best room response is where our current subs are located and I would replace our current setup with a pair of XS15s. I would like to add a third XS15 in the nearfield location to help with the final REW graph niggle, a null around 40Hz, a few dB deeper than down 6dB, about a third of an octave wide. Currently we have two 12" subs stacked and a third 12" sub, six feet to the right of the stacked pair. I would like to replaced the stacked subs with a XS30. This would bring our total to three XS15's or two XS15s and one XS30. I would love to have a stacked pair of XS30s and two XS15s located in the other locations.

I want sealed subs for the lower response they provide. I would also like this upgrade to bring the response down to 12Hz from our current 20Hz. This will be our last subwoofer/AVR upgrade as the wife is giving me sideways glances like it's time to come home guy. So, due to normal budgetary constraints, I've hatched the above plan.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight on this dilemma as I've thought this over a hundred different ways and the above combinations is the best I've come up with; price/performance/aesthetics/WAF.

(i didn't want to give jim or tom a nuisance call and be a bother until I was ready to start buying as I know they're very busy with the Triax rollout and I'm not sure of the exact time frame before I can light this candle)

-
post #6583 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 11

Them things sound just as they look???

Damn, that's beast!

post #6584 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Right. Lol what a coincidence. 

post #6585 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hate it when that happens. The room only has room for three placements and I'm pushing the third placement with the wife.
It's a matter of budget and placement. Currently we have three, 12", vented (two with passive radiators) subwoofers. Everybody has said, don't bother trying to blend the two because the fight to blend vented with sealed will not be worth the effort so I would be trashing our current subwoofer sound reproduction system. I would love to start out with two XS30s and stack them but now I have issues smoothing the room modes and budgetary constraints. I'm sure you're right in your recommendation regarding buying two XS30s; suffering with one and later buying a second or third one.

The current solution that I see to our subwoofer upgrade conundrum, in the beginning, buy a pair of XS15s and later add a XS30.

I thought you had 2 of the subs stacked? If thats the case then you are not utilizing the smoothing effect 3 can offer. I would start with dual XS30's like Jbrown said. If this is going to be your last subwoofer purchase then make it a good one. I have no doubt 3 XS15's would be a upgrade over your current klipsch subs, but if this is your last purchase, I would take it up another notch.
post #6586 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

Dilemma. My wife has approved a 2nd XV30f for our 8k^3 living room. Tom has recommended going that route vs. the XV15 to be safe but man...that's a lot of huge speakerboxes on one wall (shared with Klipsch KG 5.5s).

I'm trying to convince myself that I won't regret eating up that much room with subs down the road (I know my inner bass enthusiast wants the 2nd XV30f..). Is anyone else running 2 XV30s in their main living area? If so, how has that been working out post-purchase?

Several here had dual XV30's...some have liked them, others not so much. Not sure why the mixed results, but the XV15 seems to have a better repor. I am not saying to get a XV15, just throwing out an observation I have seen over the last 6mo. I think what it comes down to is the XV30 being so big it limits placement options and some folks have had trouble integrating duals due to that fact. I know the XV30f is a Tower, but I think most lay them on thier side because they are so tall.
post #6587 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM

I need a subwoofer to fill 297 Square Feet Living Room.

post #6588 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHead92 View Post

You mean 2,970 sq ft rite? If not that be a small living room eek.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #6589 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM

Strangely, our room could easily handle a XV30f but I want the lower plumbing depths sealed subwoofers provide.

Quote:

I thought you had 2 of the subs stacked? If thats the case then you are not utilizing the smoothing effect 3 can offer.

Agreed. The reason I didn't spread them out was because I was short a 25' subwoofer cable. I have since acquired a 25' subwoofer cable but then Spring and Summer happened. That's outdoor yard time. When Fall slams down and the rains start, as you suggest, I'll break out the 25' cable and try out that final, untried, third location as all the other three-way locations that I tried, gave worse, not better results. I look forward to trying out the last untried, nearfield location.

Quote:
I would start with dual XS30's like Jbrown said. If this is going to be your last subwoofer purchase then make it a good one. I have no doubt 3 XS15's would be a upgrade over your current klipsch subs, but if this is your last purchase, I would take it up another notch.

Not trying to pander but again, I agree. As I posted, I'm up against budgetary constraints, aesthetics and room acoustics. The room is limited regarding size and placement issues. I only have room placement for a single or stacked XS30. The other two locations will fit a single XS15. I wish I didn't have all these inherent limitations.

Based on your warnings, how much trouble do you think I'll get into when mixing a single XS30 with a pair of XS15s?

-
post #6590 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Not really, a 10'x30' foot room would be 300 square feet so 297 isn't really that small.

I'm assuming if he meant he had a 2,970 square foot living room he'd be living in a small mansion wink.gif
ahblaza likes this.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #6591 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHead92 View Post

So assuming you have either 8' or 9' ceilings your room is basically 2400-2700cu/ft.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #6592 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

Not really, a 10'x30' foot room would be 300 square feet so 297 isn't really that small.

I'm assuming if he meant he had a 2,970 square foot living room he'd be living in a small mansion wink.gif

Sorry i was thinking cubic feet, my bad eek.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #6593 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

LOL, wife has approved. I would love my wife to tell me that I could not get another sub. My wife knows not to get involved in my speakers.

I had two XV-30's in my main living area, but I hid them in the front corners, you can see one behind my audio rack in my sig. I will be sliding the Triax's in the same spots. The Triax's are a little smaller and will work much better the corners. You do what you makes "You Happy" It will drive you nuts thinking about it.
ahblaza likes this.
post #6594 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM

Hey Guys, I took some pics of my Cordovan Triax, pictures don't do it justice, the grain highlights are astounding, no flaws, everything is symetrical if you know what I mean. You really can't tell how nice these drivers are, the surrounds are thick and the woofers are just beggin to be pumping. 001.jpg 52k .jpg file
002.jpg 42k .jpg file
003.jpg 42k .jpg file
004.jpg 48k .jpg file
005.jpg 72k .jpg file
006.jpg 44k .jpg file
007.jpg 39k .jpg file
009.jpg 71k .jpg file

Should have some impressions by tomorrow, I like the amp option for rooms up to 5000 cf and 5000 cf and up. It also has LEDs for monitoring status of the amp, clipping, over current, under current, wiring phase correct and not and so on, very sophisticated and simple as well. Power cord is a very robust design, balanced input supplied as well as adapter for unbalanced connection with RCA cable and double female ended RCA splicer, everything you need to blow your house up biggrin.gif

Billy, the Cordovan is a little darker than the pics, a couple of the ones I took closely match the true shade my friend, I've seen the STs and the Cordovan is pretty close, so go for it my man, XS30 waiting for you.
As far as the OP is concerned, I think you would be better served with dual XV15s rather than the 30s, just my opinion as I had them, my choice would be dual XS30s tho. .
Thanks guys for looking, more to come.............smile.gif
Jeff

PS...forgot to add that a stamp on the back of amp lets you know how inspected your sub, Jim did mine and told me how time consuming and difficult it was to put one of these beasts together......KUDOS to PSA, we got a lot more than we bargained for and I haven't even powered it up yet......eek.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (52.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (42.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (42.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (48.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (72.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (43.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (38.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (70.8 KB, 31 views)
oneeyeblind, Saturn94 and r0n1n like this.

j_nordi
post #6595 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Stunning!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #6596 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Strangely, our room could easily handle a XV30f but I want the lower plumbing depths sealed subwoofers provide.
Agreed. The reason I didn't spread them out was because I was short a 25' subwoofer cable. I have since acquired a 25' subwoofer cable but then Spring and Summer happened. That's outdoor yard time. When Fall slams down and the rains start, as you suggest, I'll break out the 25' cable and try out that final, untried, third location as all the other three-way locations that I tried, gave worse, not better results. I look forward to trying out the last untried, nearfield location.
Not trying to pander but again, I agree. As I posted, I'm up against budgetary constraints, aesthetics and room acoustics. The room is limited regarding size and placement issues. I only have room placement for a single or stacked XS30. The other two locations will fit a single XS15. I wish I didn't have all these inherent limitations.

Based on your warnings, how much trouble do you think I'll get into when mixing a single XS30 with a pair of XS15s?

-

I don't think you will have any trouble with a single xs30 paired with dual xs15's....although the xs15's will reach their limits before the xs30. So I would keep that in mind. Possibly keep the xs15's closer to the LP and the xs30 further away.
post #6597 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Cant wait to hear your review!!!

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #6598 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Stunning!!

Thanks Brian, I just added a new Panny 65ST60 to go with the new sub, that is stunning as well for the price, I paid more for my 50" plasma six years ago than I did for the ST60, the 50" PZ77 is still in use in my wifes candle shop.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #6599 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Do you mean 2970 cubic feet?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 La Scala bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #6600 of 12741 Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I don't think you will have any trouble with a single xs30 paired with dual xs15's....although the xs15's will reach their limits before the xs30. So I would keep that in mind. Possibly keep the xs15's closer to the LP and the xs30 further away.

I agree with that assumption, I also would like to state that I had two XV15s upfront and a XS30 nearfield behind seating position. wink.gif

j_nordi
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page