Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSutton View Post

1. front center 15ft from seats and rear center 15 ft from rear seats
2. 2-3db on hot side
3. yes, small/80hz crossover

Front center, so boundary gain but not max(corner loading). 5 meter distance. 3dB hot.

LFE channel needs 115dB at reference.,..add 3(ish) for the rest of the channels and another 3 for the calibration preference. So figure 121dB at reference. If the maximum master volume levels will be -10dB(and this assumes the source is recorded correctly---but we'll save this topic for another time)....you need 111dB headroom minimum.

There are many variables which can affect all of this(my predictions) one way but usually not in a significant way. With that caveat in place I'd say you can expect output around 6-9dB over the CEA (rms) output at 2 meters. Let's call it 6 as I like to be conservative when estimating performance.

So we can just add 12dB to the Josh Ricci data (6 for the above, and 6 more for two XV15s co-located).

with the 12dB added----

16hz - 110dB
20hz - 115dB
25hz - 118dB
31hz - 122dB
40hz - 126dB
50hz - 129 dB
63hz - 127dB
80hz - 125dB

This doesn't really factor in "room gain" either.....not to be confused with "boundary gain". Even in large rooms like this (4000-6000 cu-ft) some gain is to be expected <35hz.

At the end of the day I'd say going from dual XV15s in this scenario to dual XV30s would offer subtle rather than significant audible gains....and only then at the very loudest levels with the most demanding source material(strong content <25hz). So if budget is any consideration here the dual XV15s would definitely be the best value.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 13543 Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just placed my order for dual xs30's. Now the waiting begins......
post #813 of 13543 Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSutton View Post

Tom,
I definitely appreciate your dilemma - we all want "the" answer to variable questions.
I was hoping to narrow my own question to a more specific scenario to narrow your recommendation (and those on the board).
~5k cu ft room size, -10 on receiver as highest it ever goes, and 2x XV15s are rock'n. Pause movie and "secretly" swap in 2x XV30's. Will anyone be able to tell the difference?
[Thanks for all your time on these boards. Says a lot for your company!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Front center, so boundary gain but not max(corner loading). 5 meter distance. 3dB hot.
LFE channel needs 115dB at reference.,..add 3(ish) for the rest of the channels and another 3 for the calibration preference. So figure 121dB at reference. If the maximum master volume levels will be -10dB(and this assumes the source is recorded correctly---but we'll save this topic for another time)....you need 111dB headroom minimum.
There are many variables which can affect all of this(my predictions) one way but usually not in a significant way. With that caveat in place I'd say you can expect output around 6-9dB over the CEA (rms) output at 2 meters. Let's call it 6 as I like to be conservative when estimating performance.
So we can just add 12dB to the Josh Ricci data (6 for the above, and 6 more for two XV15s co-located).
with the 12dB added----
16hz - 110dB
20hz - 115dB
25hz - 118dB
31hz - 122dB
40hz - 126dB
50hz - 129 dB
63hz - 127dB
80hz - 125dB
This doesn't really factor in "room gain" either.....not to be confused with "boundary gain". Even in large rooms like this (4000-6000 cu-ft) some gain is to be expected <35hz.
At the end of the day I'd say going from dual XV15s in this scenario to dual XV30s would offer subtle rather than significant audible gains....and only then at the very loudest levels with the most demanding source material(strong content <25hz). So if budget is any consideration here the dual XV15s would definitely be the best value.
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Maybe I'm confused, but I believe the scenario for msutton was to swap the XV15s with XV30s, not add xv30s with xv15s. Your statement above assumes all four subs in the room, correct?

post #814 of 13543 Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Maybe I'm confused, but I believe the scenario for msutton was to swap the XV15s with XV30s, not add xv30s with xv15s. Your statement above assumes all four subs in the room, correct?

No. I was comparing dual XV15s to dual XV30s. All of my estimated output/extension numbers were based on dual XV15s in his intended positioning.

Going with dual XV30s instead will obviously offer more headroom but I just don't see it making a significant difference when the master volume levels will be kept -10dB or lower.

Based on what you put in bold....the +6, +6 part....I'm guessing I wasn't clear on that aspect.

+6 for doubling up from one XV15 to dual XV15s co-located.

+6 for predicted boundary gain going from outside 2m to Inside 5m. This part is hardly a science but I'm generally pretty close with estimates.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #815 of 13543 Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey Tom, quick question. I have noticed different threads mentioning the use of power conditioners and surge protectors with subs. people are saying to just plug the sub directly to the wall, but i'd feel more confident with a surge protector like this
any thoughts on the topic?

oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!
post #816 of 13543 Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi Pikkashoe,
Almost 5000 cu-ft with openings to other areas.
If you went with dual subs, where were you thinking of placing the second sub---perhaps to the side of the sofa near the steps?
The choice will come down to two questions:
1)Have you calibrated the system? If so, what would you typically consider *loud* volume levels? -9dB(under reference), -6dB? Other?
2)If you did start with a single XV30, would you eventually consider adding a second for even more output capabilities?
Dual XV15s (separated) will perform very similar to a single corner loaded XV30 in extension, headroom(clean output)and overall sound quality. Either option should offer solid extension down to the 17-19hz range with clean output(at your seating positions) of 115-121dB. Assuming all speakers set to small and you'l run the bass 1-3dB *hot*....i'd say you are fine for master volume levels all the way up to -3dB to 0(full reference). So the only reason I could see considering a second XV30 would be if you wanted to exceed reference levels(perhaps for very short demos?) or to help smooth out the overall level/frequency response across all the seating positions. Also, it never hurts to have a little extra headroom, that way the subwoofer(s) will be able to recreate the most dynamic peaks with more realism.
If there was no/little chance of adding a second XV30 down the road *OR* your master volume levels will rarely exceed say...3-6dB under reference level I would definitely go with the dual XV15s. As mentioned above(and by "Cowboys" a few posts up), extension and headroom will be very close (to the single XV30) and the dual sub system will almost certainly give you better quality bass across your entire sofa(more even output levels and smoother overall frequency response.)
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Hey tom we had discussed this about a month and a half ago. I see now you offer an xs30. What would you recommend in my situation. Let me know.
post #817 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg963 View Post

hey Tom, quick question. I have noticed different threads mentioning the use of power conditioners and surge protectors with subs. people are saying to just plug the sub directly to the wall, but i'd feel more confident with a surge protector like this
any thoughts on the topic?
oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

If it is only a surge protector it *should* work okay. If it has any type of "conditioner" verbiage I'd avoid it. I tried checking the "specification" tab but everything was ""no/blank" so hard to tell.

It's not always practical (within budget) but before investing in numerous little devices like this I'd consider a "whole home" surge unit that attaches directly to your fuse box. I'd guess something like $350-500 these days installed.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #818 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkashoe View Post

Hey tom we had discussed this about a month and a half ago. I see now you offer an xs30. What would you recommend in my situation. Let me know.

Hello Pikkashoe,

It would definitely help if we circled back to some of the questions we were discussing.

1)1)Have you calibrated the system? If so, what would you typically consider *loud* volume levels? -9dB(under reference), -6dB? Other?

2)If you went with dual subs, where were you thinking of placing the second sub---perhaps to the side of the sofa near the steps?

There seems to be two different ways to shop for subwoofers----you can either set a budget and look for the best system available. Or, you can set a performance goal(i. e. 10dB under reference and 20hz extension) and spend as little as possible reaching it.

If you fall into the latter, you can ignore 1) and 2) above and just set the budget..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #819 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

If it is only a surge protector it *should* work okay. If it has any type of "conditioner" verbiage I'd avoid it. I tried checking the "specification" tab but everything was ""no/blank" so hard to tell.
It's not always practical (within budget) but before investing in numerous little devices like this I'd consider a "whole home" surge unit that attaches directly to your fuse box. I'd guess something like $350-500 these days installed.
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I have to agree, I installed an additional dedicated 20 amp circiut for my soon to be here XS30s and had a meter pan surge protector installed outside my home where the service comes in, in house devices used are for data, cable and phone. All my amps and subs are directly into wall. Although SS should be fine as long as that's all they do as Tom said, and have high current inputs (sockets) for subs or amps. Whole House is an excellent idea and there are units available for around $100-150 that can be installed at breaker box, very inexpensive if you feel comfortable doing it yourself. Thanks guys.
Jeff

j_nordi
post #820 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 349
PowerSound Audio XS15 Subwoofer Review

By Jim Wilson

Introduction
The subject of this review is the PowerSound Audio XS15, a member of their PowerX line of subwoofers. The XS15 is an acoustic suspension design that utilizes a 15" down-firing driver. Weighing in at a robust 72 pounds, and measuring 20.75"x18.5"x19.5" (HWD, include the base), means this is no wall flower; if you have a small room you know the XS15's there. This is actually the runt of the litter; the XS15 is the smallest subwoofer PowerSound Audio (PSA) makes. With size comes performance though, so the trade off turns out to be well worth it.

Never heard of PowerSound Audio? You're not alone, because they've only been around for a few months. However, that doesn't mean they have no experience in this field. Far from it actually; PSA was started by two guys who worked for years at SV Sound, one of the premier ID (Internet Direct) companies. As a matter of fact one of those two individuals -- Tom Vodhanel -- happens to be the 'V' in SV Sound, so there's definite pedigree behind PSA. A new company, yes, but not newbies to the subwoofer field by any means.

The XS15 has an amp rated at 500 watts RMS, with 1000 watts available during peak times. It's what PSA is calling the PS BASH®, a patented hybrid amplifier utilizing the best of Class D and Class A/B designs. The XS15's frequency response -- which PSA lists as 26Hz-200Hz +/-3dB (with 16Hz-20Hz typical in-room extension) -- has been specially tuned using a Digital Signal Processor (DSP), so even though this amp is the same one used in some of their other models it's been configured to match the XS15's characteristics perfectly. The amp also includes such features such as temperature sensing protection, overload detection and soft limiters, all of which are advanced and uncommon features to find in a subwoofer that costs what the XS15 does.

PSA includes a 5 year warranty covering parts and labor. And get this; it's transferable, so they're putting the warranty on the product and not the purchaser. That's quite rare. There's also the ubiquitous 30 day in home trial, but after hearing the XS15 myself I can't imagine there's anyone who will be returning it.

As if all that's not enough already, PowerSound Audio has one other benefit to throw at you; made in the USA. With the exception of the amp everything PSA uses in their subwoofers is designed, made and assembled right here in America. For someone like myself that's a huge advantage they have over the competition.

Ordering
Purchasing from PowerSound Audio is done in the same manner as any other ID company, directly from the manufacturers website. The XS15 costs a mere $750, which includes shipping. That's right, PSA picks up the tab for shipping this beast. Depending upon where you live that's probably $75 that stays in your pocket. For those counting... you're essentially getting 10% of the purchase price refunded to you because PSA picks up the tab for shipping.

Unboxing
The XS15 came single boxed, but it was a heavier gauge then most; the box looked to be about 500 pound burst strength, which essentially means thick. The subwoofer was firmly held at all 8 corners by thick blocks of medium density foam (yea, no miserable styrofoam!). A plastic bag was the only other protection.

The manual is small but complete - Stephen King has nothing to fear, that's for sure. The only other accessory is the power cord which, thankfully, is only two prong. That means no ground loop issues to contend with.

Initial Impressions
OK, let's start with perhaps the most controversial part of every PSA subwoofer; the finish. Some have taken to calling it undercoating or bedliner, and to an extent it does resemble Line-X. However, it doesn't look bad, just different. For me it's a good kind of different though. Personally I'm not a fan of the piano/gloss black finish because it's nothing more then a dust and finger print collector. It also reflects light, which is not something I find all that beneficial in my home theater. I think when done properly high gloss paint looks gorgeous, but the liabilities outweigh the benefits for me.

PSA calls this finish a "sand texture", which seems aptly named. They also claim it's "super durable", and I would tend to agree with them. I'm not sure what it is or how they apply it, but it does appear as though it can take some abuse. The coating was applied perfectly on the review unit, with not a single imperfection to be found.

Another area that seems to be a point of debate is the plinth, or base. It appears to harken back to early SV Sound designed subwoofers. Some people like it, others don't. I have mixed feelings myself, but thankfully you can remove it and use the XS15 as a 'regular' down-firing subwoofer if you so choose. The bolts holding the plinth on are standard grade 3 hex head, about 5" long. Get the same thing in a 3.5" length and you can reuse the original feet. The plinth works like an isolator of sorts, de-coupling the sub from your floor, so it's probably best just to leave it in place.

Perhaps the only area I found where it looks like PowerSound Audio may have cut corners is the cheesy feet they used on the bottom of the base. They're tiny rubber stick on's, the kind you can get at any home center. Not what comes to mind when I think of feet for a 72 pound subwoofer.

The 15" driver is a proprietary design, and is quite impressive when you see it in person. The cone material is paper based and appears to be topically coated, with a Rubatek foam/rubber hybrid surround. It's held in place using threaded inserts, which is a good thing because this driver is capable of a massive 2" of travel peak-to-peak. Triple stacked magnets, cast aluminum 12 spoke frame, vented pole piece, high excursion spider and a half dozen other features lead you to believe they built this thing to be abused and still last for the long haul. Somebody at PSA did their homework, and it shows.

The cabinet is made from 1" MDF and feels solid, with absolutely no flex to it whatsoever. The edges are all rounded slightly, giving it a nice look. The entire inside of the cabinet is lined with thick bats of fiberglass insulation adhered directly to the walls. Rap your knuckles on this thing at your own risk. The plinth is made from 1.5" MDF, so it's even sturdier then the cabinet itself. Construction quality is first rate; everything fits perfectly, and not a single screw was even the slightest bit loose.

Unfortunately, my initial impression of it's durability was not all that positive. Why? The original XS15 had a problem and had to go back to PSA to get fixed. Here's what happened...

I received one of the very first XS15's made, and being a 1.0 product from 1.0 company I half expected there might be something that needed to be tweaked. Turns out there was.

Whenever I get a brand new unit for evaluation I break it in gently. That means no excessive volume, no blu-ray test scenes, no pushing the limits until at least 20 hours of run time. Only then do I start listening in earnest. The PowerX line of subwoofers had been released with tremendous expectations, due primarily to the people involved with the company, so there was a lot of pent up demand for those of us who actually had one to release some information about how they were performing. To an extent I almost felt compelled to post something and assuage the masses, so after about 20 hours of light usage I decided to push the XS15 to see what it was capable of. That didn't end well.

After perhaps 10-15 minutes of heavy, but not insane usage, the amp went into protection mode and shut down. It barely felt warm, so it didn't seem to be thermal. I unplugged it and waited a few minutes, then plugged it back in. It fired up again but it's output had a "warbling" or pulsing effect, so I shut it back down. I fired off an email to Tom Vodhanel letting him know what happened, but since it was about 9PM I decided to call it a night. Tom had other ideas.

Not 15 minutes later I get an email reply, and he's obviously quite upset. We go back and forth a few times, but he quickly comes to the same conclusion I already had; the amp seemed to have coughed up a hairball. He sends another one overnight and the next day I have it. I install the new one but I can't do anything other then run a few hours of TV because of my schedule. A day or two later I have more time, so I decide to try some of those same blu-ray scenes. Maybe 20 minutes goes by and the XS15 shuts down again, but this time there's an unpleasant noise associated to it. That's never a good sign. I unplug and wait about 15 minutes, but it simply won't power back up this time.

Same thing happens with regards to the response I get from Tom; send him an email on a week night, get a horrified reply back almost instantaneously, followed by immediate action (does this guy ever sleep?). This time, however, he asks if I can send the whole unit back so they can tear it apart and see what's happening.

Fast forward two weeks, multiple emails and even several phone calls and Tom tells me Jim Farina (the other PSA company principle) has identified the problem, and the fix is nothing more then a minor DSP change. Apparently I was driving it so hard that the amp was tripping it's protection circuit, and as it turns out a little tweak was all they needed to do in order to ensure it never happened to anyone else. Next time someone questions how hard I work on these reviews I'll use that as an example of just how far I go to find out what something can/can't do.

So now I have my reservations about PSA, right? Wrong! I've never encountered any company that went to the extremes both Tom and Jim did to resolve this issue. Days, nights, weekends, didn't matter; they were always on top of it and completely professional. The cynic might say "well yea, that's because you're writing a review so everyone is going to hear about it". Under normal circumstances I would probably agree with you, but not in this case. All someone has to do is spend a few minutes on any home theater forum where Tom participates and you'll see that's how PSA handles everything they do. I have exchanged countless emails with both Tom and Jim -- Tom in specific -- and have spoken to them as well, sometimes at length, and their passion and dedication is very clear to me. I do not feel how they treated this situation is any different then they would have treated it if the person who had the problem was a "normal" customer and not a reviewer. The company and the products are still first class in my eyes.

Want an example of why I'm so confident about PSA? When Tom sent back the XS15 he actually told me "to beat on it" (his emphasis, not mine). That's precisely what I did too, which is the largest contributing factor as to why it's taken so long to get this review published. I hammered this subwoofer mercilessly, like I've never done before with any other test unit. Day after day, week after week I literally tried to break it, but was unable to. The XS15 took all I dished out and never had another problem. I absolutely believe what happened was an isolated incident, and I'm actually quite glad it happened to me instead of someone else. Bottom line is I would spend my own money on a PSA subwoofer and not think twice about it.

Setup
The XS15 has most of the dials, knobs, setting and connectors that other subwoofers in it's class do, so there's no real surprises.

The amp has dials for gain, phase and crossover. Because it uses a dial the phase is variable between 0 and 180 degrees, which I thought was a nice touch. The crossover dial is pretty standard fare but it only shows numbers for the extremes, 40Hz and 150Hz. It would have been nice to see more granularity. There's an on/off/auto switch for the power as well.

All the markings are silkscreened on the amp in a big, legible font. The only connection option though is low-level RCA; there are no XLR or speaker level inputs or outputs. You can use both left and right RCA inputs to increase the sensitivity, but I just used the one marked LFE because when I did try using both I got a weird little "pop" as I switched channels or muted the TV. One other thing I found odd was that the amp had no serial number on it. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

Connecting the XS15 is simple, and pretty much the same as any other subwoofer. You basically hook up an RCA cable from the sub-out port on your AV receiver to the LFE input port on the XS15, and then plug in the power cord. Set the gain dial to around 3 o'clock (more on that in a minute), set the phase dial to 0 and the crossover to the LFE setting. That's how most people will probably configure it up for home theater.

The gain knob seems to confuse most people because PSA opted to go a slightly different route then the rest of the industry. From what I've been able to gather the PSA gain knob works in a more linear and accurate manner then the majority of them do. Instead of setting it at the 12 o'clock position and making all your level adjustments from there you're more likely to find that 2 or 3 o'clock is needed. However, that equates to the true amount of gain as opposed to some arbitrary value most other companies seem to use. It took me a while to get comfortable with that, but once I did it was easy to make the switch.

Listening
My living room is 13x17x8 (1768 CF), so it's not terribly large. The main seating position is approximately 11 feet from the subwoofer. All testing was done after the unit had been broken in for at least 15 hours.

The XS15 proved to be a bit sneaky, but I mean that in a good way. Sometimes, like while watching sports for example, it seemed rather tame, but then a commercial would come on and suddenly it would unleash a fury of deep bass. I never really found it to be lacking mind you, just sort of clandestine in how it went about it's business. My guess is PSA opted not to try and impress with over-emphasized bass, but instead went for pure and faithful reproduction. The dynamics and depth were always good when called upon, that's for sure. The XS15 doesn't easily get flustered either, it almost always seemed composed and under control.

One of my favorite nits to pick is the poorly implemented auto-on function that far too many companies fall prey too, but thankfully not PSA; on the XS15 it worked perfectly, coming on when it should have and only going off when it was supposed to. The amp hardly ever gets warm either, which I liked. The only time there was any appreciable heat was after pounding on it with electronic music for the better part of an hour. Under virtually all other circumstances the amp barely registered any heat. Considering the dearth of fins -- and how hard I drove it at times -- that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

As mentioned previously the XS15 costs just $750, and that includes shipping. Obviously "just" is somewhat relative, but for a really good sub with a 15" driver the price PowerSound Audio charges is on the low side. Does that mean you can't get bass with quality, quantity and depth for that price? Generally speaking, no - you can pick any two of those features, but not all three. With the XS15, however, it seems you can get all three.

Right out of the box I liked the sound, which struck me as very detailed. Depth was pretty evident almost instantly as well, with a nice powerful rumble when the situation warranted. It's output took a little while to fully appreciate though, because initially I was focusing on the dynamics more then anything else (and, as a matter of course, I never push a brand new subwoofer until it has at least 12-15 hours on it). Once I felt comfortable about the depth and quality I started to push the limits higher and higher, yet the XS15 hardly ever seemed to mind. Turn up the volume 5 more dB and it gets louder and more impactful. Turn it up another 5dB and the same thing happens. Do this a few times and all of the sudden you realize it's at reference level, yet the sound is no worse for the wear. In my sub-1800 cubic foot room I gave out before the XS15 did. I'm still not sure if I ever bottomed it, unless I was actually trying to.

Movies/TV
Like most people I have specific movies and particular scenes I use while evaluating a subwoofer. I run each test scene twice; once while seated in my normal listening position, and then a second time while sitting a few feet from the subwoofer. This allows me to hear it as I normally would, yet also affords me the opportunity to determine if there's even the slightest bit of straining. Both tests are run at the same volume level which is slightly above what I would normally use, generally in the -10 to -5 dB range.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (blu-ray)
During the opening scene -- One Ring To Rule Them All -- there is some brutally low bass. In specific, when Saron's hand is cut off and the ring falls to the ground there is a very low bass sweep. The notes are so deep they can be felt coursing through your chair, assuming the subwoofer you're listening to can actually produce them of course. The XS15 was certainly up to the task, producing extraordinary impact and depth when the ring and helmet hit the ground. The same thing occurred when Isildur picks the ring up, which has even lower bass notes.

In the Bridge of Khazad Doom scene there's an ultra low frequency rumble at times, as well as significant amounts of impact generated by numerous structures crumbling. That rumbling sent waves of bass rippling through my chair, and virtually everything in my house it seems. Of course, the fact that I was running at 0dB may have had something to do with it. At this volume level the crumbling structures took on an entirely new dynamic, but the clarity and definition did suffer just a bit. It seems I may have hit the drivers limit at that point but anything below it was balanced and dynamic, with the emphasis in all the right places. There were no unpleasant sounds, just a touch of what might be called straining.

My favorite part of this scene to play around with is the Balrog's roar. There's an instance when you see it for the first time that I just love to crank way up. He jumps out of a cavern and lands right behind the Fellowship with a thud, and then lets out a fire-breathing roar. I really enjoy seeing how loud it will play, and 0dB seemed to be fine by the XS15 for this part. I can't tolerate that level for too long, although I did replay it a few times because I liked how it sounded. This was one of those instances were I gave up before the XS15 did.

During the Assault on Home Tree scene there are low frequencies, ultra low frequencies, explosions, artillery fire, gunships, you name it. Certainly enough things going on to provide a really good subwoofer test.

As the gunships approach Home Tree their rotor blades could almost be felt, which created a nice sensation of realism. The incendiary bombs they launched were punctuated with a crisp explosion, while the rockets shot at the columns hit with precision and sounded very clean. As Home Tree finally tumbles and crashes to the ground the impact was almost palpable at -10dB.

When the gunships take flight in Battle For Pandora I didn't quite get the same sensation I did when they descended upon Home Tree, which I found a bit odd (a deficiency in the audio track perhaps?). As Taruk Mato was approaching the the battle convoy it's wing flaps could actually be felt. When the huge robotic warriors jump from the transport and land on Pandora they hit with a substantial thud, which was still pronounced in spite of the prodigious amount of bass being generated by the propellers of the gunships hovering overhead. In spite of the bedlam each element was very distinct.

One of the parts where the XS15 excelled was the enormous sound created by the thundering hooves that were part of the stampede of warrior beasts as they approached the ground troops. You could almost pick out the sound of an individual animal because of the definition. I actually cranked this to 0dB and ran it back a second time, with the XS15 uttering nary a complaint.

War of the Worlds (blu-ray)
The Machine Emerges scene is perhaps the most recognized subwoofer test of all time. The depth and quantity of bass that occurs during a several minute span in this scene is simply amazing. With subterranean vibrations, exploding pavement and collapsing buildings you have ultra low, low and mid-bass frequencies pouring out of your subwoofer. This is the scene that caused the aforementioned amp problem with the first XS15, so I decided it was going to be here that I determined whether or not the fix was really going to hold. But it wasn't just The Machine Emerges that I used; say hello to seven full scenes run three times each, all at 0dB. Cruel? Perhaps, but I wanted to be certain the XS15 was truly fixed.

The acid test started with In The Storm, but other then the lightening strikes -- which were potent -- there's really not a whole lot of brutal content in this scene. But that's just the prelude, because the very next scene is Emerges. The XS15 did a splendid job with the buckling pavement and the sensation of the earth moving under your feet. As buildings were being split apart and the ground started disappearing the XS15 kept chugging away without any indication of distress. This scene flows right into Heat Ray, so I went from a test of depth to a test of clarity because the heat ray itself sounds like nothing more then static if your subwoofer has little to no definition. The XS15 did a fantastic job of capturing the variation in pitch that's embedded in this portion of the audio track.

Next up was The Escape, which I eagerly anticipated because of the bridge destruction and subsequent explosion. The combined effect sent waves of bass through my chair. I then jumped to At The Window because the jet crash and explosion that follows it require both definition and depth, which the XS15 produced in spades. Hudson Ferry is another of the scenes where the bass dips to some very low levels, especially when the tripod bellows out those horn-like blasts. I had to momentarily turn it down because it was so loud I was beginning to cringe. I also started to hear a rattling, which I initially thought was the XS15. Turns out it was the thermostat on my wall, which I don't recall ever happening before.

The Fighting Begins was the last of the test scenes, but certainly not the least. At it's beginning a line of people are walking towards the area where the military is actively engaging the aliens. There are background explosions from artillery that have a potent, yet somewhat muted wallop. The XS15 produced those with ease, just like the sound of the jet engines as they screamed past everyone. The climactic ending of the scene -- where the Army is just continuously firing away at the aliens -- is a cacophony of explosions and detonations that seemingly came spilling out of every corner of my room.

So how did the XS15 fare after more then an hour of me deliberately trying to trip it up? Are you familiar with the Energizer Bunny that just keeps going and going and going? I've never treated any other subwoofer like I did this one, yet it just kept coming back for more. I'm impressed.

10,000 BC (DVD)
The Mammoth Hunt scene is pretty much all I watch in this movie, and only for the punishing low bass it has. As usual, the XS15 delivered; it was as though there was a mammoth stampede in my room, with every step accompanied by a vibration throughout my living room. Even with dozens of rampaging mastodons the sound of their individual feet was clear and distinct. Oh yeah, and that was at 0dB.

Tron: Legacy (blu-ray)
Because of the driving and intense bass in this audio track I was only able to handle -20dB for any length of time. The Transporters that carry the strays in The Games were deep and powerful, with an almost deafening roar from their propulsion system. During several parts of The Grid there's an almost constant rumble, and the XS15 was thumping right along. I especially liked the Light Cycles because of their percussive nature, which was reproduced with great clarity.

Underworld: Awakening (blu-ray)
When the huge Lycan shows up in the underground lair his footsteps are some of the lowest bass notes I've ever encountered in a movie, and they're capable of finding the weak spot in just about any subwoofer. As he begins to chase after Selene the thuds and impact are vicious, and for the most part the XS15 played along. I sensed a bit of diminished clarity, but the Lycans footsteps did create a rippling effect that went right through me. At one point I heard a closet door rattling, and that was out in my hallway!

Blood Diamond (DVD)
Here's something new for me; actually watching a movie. While reviewing a subwoofer I only play select scenes so I can get a feel for how it goes about it's business, but in this case I opted to sit back and watch an entire movie.

In spite of what you may or may not think of Leonardo DiCaprio I actually like a few of his movies, and this is one of them (and no, Titanic is not among my favorites). It doesn't have a tremendous amount of LFE, which ironically is exactly why I chose it. I wanted to see how the XS15 performed during a "normal" movie, as opposed to just pounding out a bunch of test scenes. What I found is that it's perfectly capable of handling every day fare; the gunfire, explosions and helicopters this movie does have had the correct weight and impact -- which you would expect -- but so did the vocal parts, making everything seem quite well balanced. Nothing came across as embellished or over-emphasized. I was able to just sit back and enjoy it, knowing all the elements of the soundtrack would be produced exactly as they should. Isn't that the ultimate goal for your audio system?

Music
Jonnie Lang - Lie To Me (CD)
The eponymous Lie To Me has a strong kick drum and bass combination that were perfectly in sync and blended wonderfully. When I cranked the volume to 0dB I actually started to feel room pressurization, not something I anticipated from a single subwoofer. The kick drum at the beginning of Good Morning Little School Girl hit with power and depth, yet it didn't drown out the bass guitar one bit. Because of how emphasized the kick drum was recorded for this track it made the attack seem especially sharp and precise. For Hit The Ground Running the situation is reversed; it's the bass guitar that's more prominent, yet the drums were not subjugated to 2nd class citizen status because of it. I just couldn't help cranking Rack 'em Up, even though it's not one of my favorite tracks to be honest. It's amazing what a good sound system will do for an average song.

Pearl Jam - Alive (CD)
Alive is from a CD called 'Ten', yet there are 11 songs on it. Go figure. Perhaps Pearl Jam called it Ten because 10 of the 11 songs have a single word title. Either way, it's the only Pearl Jam disc anyone needs in order to know what the band was about. My favorite song is Alive, which is thick and bottom heavy. That means the XS15 was in it's element, and sounded fantastic regardless of the volume. To create that morose effect Jeff Ament's bass must have been tuned down, yet even at 0dB it sounded wonderful. Dave Krusen has a lazy/generic drum piece for this song, but it blended perfectly with Ament's bass and simply poured out of the XS15.

Soundgarden - Outshined (CD)
Probably my favorite band to come out of the "Seattle Scene". Although I love Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, et al Soundgarden was perhaps the best of them. Outshined is a heavy, deep, brooding song with an intense feeling, making it perfect to test a subwoofer. Ben Shepard's bass lick is this slow, melodic, sinister sound that matches the driving rhythm of Chris Cornell's guitar. At 0dB my room was rocking, and I loved every minute of it.

Electronic
  • Bass Mekanik - Quad Maximus (CD)
    About all I could tolerate with this material was -10dB, but with the energy recorded in these tracks that's still very loud. During Welcome Stranger I actually felt some pressure waves in my head. When I got up close to the XS15 the air it was pushing out the side of the plinth felt like it was coming from a ported sub! Lock On Target was pounding, although there was one set of notes it wasn't quite able to hit. Funky Annihilating Bass brought back the pressure waves in full force. It was right around this point that I began to realize that not only was the XS15 able to play this "music" with aplomb, but it could do so cleaner then perhaps I've ever heard it. Doctor Oblivion starts with a reverse sweep, which the XS15 was not quite up for though (at least the very deepest stuff). The rest of the song was no problem however.
  • Bass-O-Tronics (MP3)
    Bass I Love You is probably the granddaddy of all subwoofer tests. At -10dB the XS15 could handle about 95 percent of this savage track. That was fine by me, because it was so loud I couldn't really tolerate it myself. Sub Bass Excursion sent ripples of bass flowing through my entire house. It got so intense at one point that cabinet doors in my kitchen began to rattle. 'Nuff said.
  • The Smoke And The Mirror (MP3)
    I downloaded this from one of the forums. Think Lord Of The Rings meets Riverdance. Frightening thought, isn't it? But it's good for testing subwoofers because there is plenty of deep, rolling bass, the kind that sends vibrations across the floor and into your chair. Which is precisely what the XS15 did.

After all the testing was finished I checked the amp for heat and found it was pretty warm. This was the only time I felt any discernible heat though, but considering what I had just put it through it's not all that surprising.

Support
What's a good adjective for 'superb'? Extraordinary? Outstanding? Exemplary? Unrivaled? Pick whichever one works for you because guaranteed it's applicable. Simply put, the support PowerSound Audio provides is the model all others should follow. Spend even just a little time on virtually any forum and you'll see precisely what I mean. People are absolutely effusive about the type of care they've received, which is something I can personally attest to. Both Tom and Jim have been first rate since PSA exploded out of the gate, which I truly believe is a huge factor in why they have been so successful; great products at a great price with great support. What's not to like?

Conclusion
To paraphrase a line from the movie 48 Hours... "there's a new sheriff in town", but his name isn't Reggie Hammond it's PowerSound Audio. What this company provides is a level of value that simply didn't exist a few months ago. Very rarely does a rookie step into the majors and hit a home run during their first at bat, but PSA has done just that. The XS15 is definitely worth more then the $750 they're selling it for. Pick one up soon, before these guys come to their senses and realize what they have.

The following are close mic measurements of the PowerSound Audio XS15 using XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro. The unit was indoors, physically positioned in the center of my listening room. No other speakers were running.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #821 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Jim, thanks for your review. Well done sir! Based on the pictures I am seeing in your review, there appears to be no cabinet bracing? Is this due to 1" MDF and the downfiring nature of the subwoofer?
post #822 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks for all your effort, Jim!

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #823 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Just a wonderfully detailed review. I also appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #824 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Hello Pikkashoe,
It would definitely help if we circled back to some of the questions we were discussing.
1)1)Have you calibrated the system? If so, what would you typically consider *loud* volume levels? -9dB(under reference), -6dB? Other?
2)If you went with dual subs, where were you thinking of placing the second sub---perhaps to the side of the sofa near the steps?
There seems to be two different ways to shop for subwoofers----you can either set a budget and look for the best system available. Or, you can set a performance goal(i. e. 10dB under reference and 20hz extension) and spend as little as possible reaching it.
If you fall into the latter, you can ignore 1) and 2) above and just set the budget..smile.gif
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Hey Tom, thanks for responding.

I have the system calibrated, since the space is so big, i normally watch movies at reference or right below.
As for the question about placement, to be honest, what do you think about both subs in front of the room, under the tv about 5 feet apart from each other. I dont really have space to put a sub next to the couch by the stairs, and running the rca there would be a nightmare.

To be honest, I'm not that well versed on the technical aspect of subwoofers and their performance, so i cant really set a performance goal I am trying to accomplish or reach. I currently have one A3-300, and I guess I am looking for something to really wow me upon replacement.
I do have a budget I am trying to stay under.

I guess my question is , assuming theres no issue with placement, in my situation would xs30's or xv30's suit me better. This is assuming placement in the front of the room again, as theres no way I can fit two xv30's in the back.
Sorry for the long response.
post #825 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. The reviews do take me quite a bit of time, but I get to play with all the newest toys so it's not all that bad. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Based on the pictures I am seeing in your review, there appears to be no cabinet bracing? Is this due to 1" MDF and the downfiring nature of the subwoofer?

The driver orientation wouldn't really factor into whether or not there's a need for bracing, it's pretty much down to what material thickness they used and how the enclosure is made. In this case the lack of bracing doesn't impact the rigidity, at least not in any manner I was able to discern. This is a very solid cabinet.

post #826 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

" The XS15 is definitely worth more then the $750 they're selling it for. Pick one up soon, before these guys come to their senses and realize what they have."

I wish you had not put that in the review. I'm seriously considering the XS30 and they might just come to their senses on that one too before I'm able to pull the trigger next month.

After that I don't give a poop. biggrin.gif

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #827 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the system calibrated, since the space is so big, i normally watch movies at reference or right below.
As for the question about placement, to be honest, what do you think about both subs in front of the room, under the tv about 5 feet apart from each other. I dont really have space to put a sub next to the couch by the stairs, and running the rca there would be a nightmare.
To be honest, I'm not that well versed on the technical aspect of subwoofers and their performance, so i cant really set a performance goal I am trying to accomplish or reach. I currently have one A3-300, and I guess I am looking for something to really wow me upon replacement.
I guess my question is , assuming theres no issue with placement, in my situation would xs30's or xv30's suit me better. This is assuming placement in the front of the room again, as theres no way I can fit two xv30's in the back.
Quote:

Hi Pickkashoe,

1)while its always best to have complete freedom to place the subs anywhere....the reality is in 95% of the situations I'm involved with the subwoofer placement is largely predetermined. Dual subs flanking the center channel is a fairly common placement and usually works well. Approximately how far from the side walls will each subwoofer be?

2)Dual XV30 or dual XS30 will definitely *wow* you. You'll have significantly more extension and headroom but more importantly I believe you'll find the quality of the bass is audibly improved. If you use the system for music and/or concert DVDs this will be quite apparent in my opinion.

3)IIRC you have the 4311 receiver. This will go a LONG way in optimizing dual subwoofers in your room even if they aren't in the absolute optimal locations. (XT32 and SUB EQ HT) . Neither the XS30 or XV30 will be more prone to work better/worse based only on their placement in your room. did you have a chance to see my response a few pages ago regarding how these two models compare to one another? I summed it up fairly well in a paragraph or two.

If the larger size of the XV30 doesn't cause any issue for you----I'd lean that way simply because of the additional headroom in the 16-32hz octave.

Also, please don't hesitate to email me at support@powersoundaudio.com I usually hit those emails within a couple hours , 7 days a week. My forum participation time varies greatly depending on other work priorities.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #828 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM

Wow.... Excellent Post, and Review. Thanks Jim

At $750 shipped, It's a bargain. eek.gif
post #829 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I wish you had not put that in the review. I'm seriously considering the XS30 and they might just come to their senses on that one too before I'm able to pull the trigger next month.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, at least not near term. PSA can't possibly be making much money per unit, and you'll find out why I say that when you get yours. But I suspect Tom and Jim are doing good with volume, selling pretty much every one they can make, so perhaps they'll hold the line for at least a little while.

post #830 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I was planning on pulling the trigger for the XS30 on Jan.9th. Hopefully Tom will have some ready to ship not too far past that date. Last I saw it was supposed to be mid Jan. I think I've pretty much made up my mind on that sub after hours of reading and comparing.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #831 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Jim now we just need you to do a review like you just did on the XS15 but on the XS30 instead biggrin.gif.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #832 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Jim now we just need you to do a review like you just did on the XS15 but on the XS30 instead biggrin.gif.

Yeah and next week would be nice. No hurry.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #833 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

I have my xs30 but not sure if i will like to open this beast.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #834 of 13543 Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I have dual XS30s and I'm not going to lie, I'm almost scared to watch a movie past -15. The latest Batman movie Dark Knight Rises shakes the crap out of the whole house! They provide more bass then I could ever actually need.
mercury likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #835 of 13543 Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Liked: 27
Nice review Jim. Thanks for taking the time.

Wait till you watch "Looper" that movie will knock the sidings off your house.
post #836 of 13543 Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tom and I have touched on that topic actually, so you never know. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I have my xs30 but not sure if i will like to open this beast.

I always save that part until the very end, after I've made sure I'm done listening to it, just in case there's an 'ooops' that happens. So far I haven't had a single issue - every sub was in working order. Knock On Wood

post #837 of 13543 Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Hey Tom,

What exactly are the B versions of the subs on the website?
post #838 of 13543 Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Hey Tom,

What exactly are the B versions of the subs on the website?

B stock

The Outlet Center at Power Sound Audio is where you will find amazing deals on our products. The prices for these products have been drastically reduced because they cannot be sold as new. Demonstration units, customer returns, and slightly blemished new components are a few of the reasons a product has been placed into the Outlet Center.
What should I expect from a Power Sound Audio Outlet Center product? All Outlet Center products must pass a meticulous inspection and go through a lengthy certification process. In order for a product to pass it must function as if it were a new product. In other words, the performance of a new Power Sound Audio product and an Outlet Center product are exactly the same. All Outlet Center products are repackaged with new shipping boxes, foam cushioning, applicable manuals and cables. In addition to a perfectly performing product, you can enjoy the same Five Year Warranty as Power Sound Audio's new products.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/outlet-center

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #839 of 13543 Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

Just placed my order for dual xs30's. Now the waiting begins......
They don't mess around, you should have them quick enough. The best thing about these is that they come by tractor trailer biggrin.gif There was nothing better than seeing that big truck pull up and then unloading those giant XV-30's. Better than Christmas. Make sure you have a buddy ready, it is a two man job getting these into the house.
post #840 of 13543 Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

XV30s might have to come via tractor trailer but XS30s would be arriving via Fedex. They're not quite as big as those monster XV30s.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page