Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11611 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was talking to Tom yesterday and he mentioned that a 3 XS30SE set is equivalent to a 4 XS30 in terms of the output. You may want to factor that in your numbers (eg 1 XS30SE next to couch and the remaining XS30 spread out for smoothing?)

I think Bear is right about mixing ported and sealed, they are usually not recommended since the frequency response is fairly different for them when approaching < 20 Hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

thanks bear. i'm getting great output stacked side by side on my 30's and they are also hidden pretty well so the WAF is fine-. that said. i can localize the bass on music at lower volume especially considering i sit very close to the subs.. adding dual xv15's or 30's i think would take care of that. plus the small foot print would defiantly look better and smooth out the room-.

tom(or anyone) let me throw this scenario in as well-

dual xs30's stacked side by side- of course.....

dual xs30's and 1 xs30se

dual xs30's and 1 XS15se

dual xs30's and 2 xs30se

dual xs30 and dual xs15se....

Fronts: KEF Q900's, KEF 600c, Rear: Mirage OMD-15's, SW: PSA triple XS30se+miniDSP
AVR: Denon 3313CI, Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Sources: HTPC (Jriver Media Center), Logitech Squeezebox Touch, PS3, Xbox 360,
TV: Sony KDL-55W900A
Unraid Server with 30TB+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:

no way.... lol... my LR already feels/sounds like it's going to crumble and crash to the ground. lol at 1700 the bass is prolly good for 95% of HT people. i'm unfortunately in the 5%..... eek.gif

Pick up a pair of XS15se and have 1 30 and 1 15 on each side of the couch. Or move the 30's further away from the LP and use the 15's as end tables.
post #11613 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 116
For every doubling of subwoofers you should see a 4-6dB increase in output, adding two more (total of 4) should add another 4-6dB, so 4 subs should give you anywhere between 8-12dB increase in output plus the smoothing of 4 subwoofers placed correctly. On a sad note both of my XV15SEs are dead today, I went to turn them on last night and no green LED, just flashed once and that's it. Checked the fuses and they are good, the fuses I checked were below the plug input (power supply), is this the correct location of the fuses. Called and emailed the guys this morning, we shall see. I can't believe both would go at the same time, less than 10 hours on these subs. Just ready to add the third and fourth, now this, it's OK as I know Tom and Jim will take care of me and everyone else.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #11614 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Demoing the new sub with old movies and popped in WWZ and everyone talks about the grenade scene. The scene in the beginning when Brad Pitt gets out of the car an explosion goes off in the next block and the Xv-15 startled me with the LFE.

Played the same scene later with the wife and she was disgusted saying that two subs will be overkill. Yeah right!

Keep in mind I haven't gotten to the grenade scene yet so I will reserve judgement until I hear it.

Next up is going to be Terminator Salvation.

Just a fella who loves good sound.
post #11615 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 AM

Oh, sorry to hear that. Was there an electrical fault or trip related? Is it just me or are we seeing more cases of the xv fuses need fixing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

For every doubling of subwoofers you should see a 4-6dB increase in output, adding two more (total of 4) should add another 4-6dB, so 4 subs should give you anywhere between 8-12dB increase in output plus the smoothing of 4 subwoofers placed correctly. On a sad note both of my XV15SEs are dead today, I went to turn them on last night and no green LED, just flashed once and that's it. Checked the fuses and they are good, the fuses I checked were below the plug input (power supply), is this the correct location of the fuses. Called and emailed the guys this morning, we shall see. I can't believe both would go at the same time, less than 10 hours on these subs. Just ready to add the third and fourth, now this, it's OK as I know Tom and Jim will take care of me and everyone else.
Cheers Jeff

Fronts: KEF Q900's, KEF 600c, Rear: Mirage OMD-15's, SW: PSA triple XS30se+miniDSP
Unraid Server with 30TB+
post #11616 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Your receiver won't be able to delay all four subwoofers at different distances. You would need an external processor to perform this type of operation.

Here is how I would set up four subwoofers.
Label the subwoofers based on their position so we know which ones we are discussing. I would label them LF=left front, RF=right front, LR=left rear, and RR=right rear.

Start by disabling Audyssey and setting the AVR's subwoofer level to the middle of its range. If the range is -12dB to +12dB, set it to 0dB
Set all subwoofer phase controls to 0 degrees or fully counterclockwise.
Place the mic at the MLP and do not move it while calibrating. A tripod works great for this.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the LF subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn the subwoofer off and leave the gain in this position.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the RF subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn on the LF subwoofer and adjust the phase on the RF subwoofer to achieve the maximum possible output. You should see between a 4-6dB increase in output. After the phase is set on the RF subwoofer turn it off and leave the gain and phase in this position.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the LR subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn on the LF subwoofer and adjust the phase on the LR subwoofer to achieve the maximum possible output. You should see between a 4-6dB increase in output. After the phase is set on the LR subwoofer turn it off and leave the gain and phase in this position.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the RR subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn on the LF subwoofer and adjust the phase on the RR subwoofer to achieve the maximum possible output. You should see between a 4-6dB increase in output. After the phase is set on the RR subwoofer turn it off and leave the gain and phase in this position.
Now all of your subwoofers should be in phase with the listening position. Every time you double the number of subwoofers you should see a 4-6dB increase in output. For example, if you calibrated one subwoofer to 70dB, you should see 74-76dB when you turn on the second subwoofer. Because you have two subwoofers running, you would need to add another two subwoofers to see the same 4-6dB increase.
Run Audyssey to smooth out the response and set the delay to acoustically align the subwoofers with the other speakers.
If you feel you need a little more bass after Audyssey, adjust it through the receiver only.
My thinking behind this method is to first achieve maximum output at the MLP from all of the subwoofers, then smooth the response with Audyssey. There are different ways of setting up a multiple subwoofer system, but I would try this first and see if I liked it.

Let me know if this make sense to you.

Sincerely,

Jim Farina
Power Sound Audio
Power Up!

OK guys that is the plan, then run Audyssey XT, any suggestions as how to do that, I'm thinking placing mic at the MLP (as this is the only location I'm interested in) and running two sweeps with Audy at the same position just to smooth out the response and set the delay and align the subs with my speakers. Any other suggestions? TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #11617 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post

Oh, sorry to hear that. Was there an electrical fault or trip related? Is it just me or are we seeing more cases of the xv fuses need fixing..

No, I unplug my subs at night when they aren't in use. They worked perfectly just a few hours before that.eek.gif

j_nordi
post #11618 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:

No, I unplug my subs at night when they aren't in use. They worked perfectly just a few hours before that.eek.gif

Are all of the subwoofers on the same circuit breaker?

My entire HT room is on the same breaker. I've not had a problem yet, but any more power draw will most likely require a second (and maybe a third) dedicated breaker.

You are running three amps at nearly 550W and all of the other equipment such as the AVR, TV, Lights, etc., will push a 15A circuit breaker to its limits. Also, how old is your wiring?

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #11619 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 AM

That's exactly what I was planning to do when I get my third one. Check out the REW thread here on AVS, they discuss about calibrating multiple subs in detail.

EDIT: Didn't notice the last line in your post. At the MLP do few more sweeps by moving the mic forward and side by ~ 1ft, that will help smoothen out the response. Audyssey sets the speaker delay/distance when you run the calibration, you shouldn't have to do that manually. I use the SW level up/down buttons to increase the SW level when I need, similar to the volume. Works very well ...
Quote:

Your receiver won't be able to delay all four subwoofers at different distances. You would need an external processor to perform this type of operation.

Here is how I would set up four subwoofers.
Label the subwoofers based on their position so we know which ones we are discussing. I would label them LF=left front, RF=right front, LR=left rear, and RR=right rear.

Start by disabling Audyssey and setting the AVR's subwoofer level to the middle of its range. If the range is -12dB to +12dB, set it to 0dB
Set all subwoofer phase controls to 0 degrees or fully counterclockwise.
Place the mic at the MLP and do not move it while calibrating. A tripod works great for this.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the LF subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn the subwoofer off and leave the gain in this position.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the RF subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn on the LF subwoofer and adjust the phase on the RF subwoofer to achieve the maximum possible output. You should see between a 4-6dB increase in output. After the phase is set on the RF subwoofer turn it off and leave the gain and phase in this position.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the LR subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn on the LF subwoofer and adjust the phase on the LR subwoofer to achieve the maximum possible output. You should see between a 4-6dB increase in output. After the phase is set on the LR subwoofer turn it off and leave the gain and phase in this position.
Play the AVR's subwoofer test tone through the RR subwoofer and adjust the gain on the subwoofer to achieve 70dB at the MLP. After the gain on the subwoofer is set, turn on the LF subwoofer and adjust the phase on the RR subwoofer to achieve the maximum possible output. You should see between a 4-6dB increase in output. After the phase is set on the RR subwoofer turn it off and leave the gain and phase in this position.
Now all of your subwoofers should be in phase with the listening position. Every time you double the number of subwoofers you should see a 4-6dB increase in output. For example, if you calibrated one subwoofer to 70dB, you should see 74-76dB when you turn on the second subwoofer. Because you have two subwoofers running, you would need to add another two subwoofers to see the same 4-6dB increase.
Run Audyssey to smooth out the response and set the delay to acoustically align the subwoofers with the other speakers.
If you feel you need a little more bass after Audyssey, adjust it through the receiver only.
My thinking behind this method is to first achieve maximum output at the MLP from all of the subwoofers, then smooth the response with Audyssey. There are different ways of setting up a multiple subwoofer system, but I would try this first and see if I liked it.

Let me know if this make sense to you.

Sincerely,

Jim Farina
Power Sound Audio
Power Up!

OK guys that is the plan, then run Audyssey XT, any suggestions as how to do that, I'm thinking placing mic at the MLP (as this is the only location I'm interested in) and running two sweeps with Audy at the same position just to smooth out the response and set the delay and align the subs with my speakers. Any other suggestions? TIA
Cheers Jeff
ahblaza likes this.

Unraid Server with 30TB+
post #11620 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers Jeff

Bummer...sounds like a bad batch of amps in the pipeline. Several have had the same issue as of late. That is what is so nice about the 5yr bumper to bumper warranty. smile.gif
ahblaza likes this.
post #11621 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Bummer...sounds like a bad batch of amps in the pipeline. Several have had the same issue as of late. That is what is so nice about the 5yr bumper to bumper warranty. smile.gif

Yeah Bass that seems to be the issue, a batch of defective amp runs, Tom already emailed 15 minutes after I contacted him, new amps will be on the way, he said the swaps are easy and should take about five minutes. smile.gif I'm wondering if it's the tweak to get that extra 50 watts for the new SE drivers or it's the manufacture's problem, I think it's the latter myself.

j_nordi
post #11622 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I was talking to Tom yesterday and he mentioned that a 3 XS30SE set is equivalent to a 4 XS30 in terms of the output. You may want to factor that in your numbers (eg 1 XS30SE next to couch and the remaining XS30 spread out for smoothing?)

Thanks-. that's my thinking since i'm not planning on upgrading to the se anytime soon.... keeping two behind chair and adding a third xs30se on the otherside should blend in pretty good with the added(se)(more oomph).... or dual XS15se ......

so i guess my question now is will dual xs15se stacked side by side outgun 1 xs30se. i'm thinking yes?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #11623 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Pick up a pair of XS15se and have 1 30 and 1 15 on each side of the couch. Or move the 30's further away from the LP and use the 15's as end tables.

bass i prolly can do what you say except moving the 30's away from the LP.... it is where it is. i have no other places to move them.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #11624 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 660

Couple of major convenience items ordered......A 25' HDMI cable and a 15 ft usb/mini usb cable($13 shipped total..hooray amazon!)....for convenient hookup of my laptop to my receiver and miniDSP without being in the middle of everything with cables strung through the air across walkways.  This weekend, I am going to take my time and carefully dial in my subs.  First I am going to work on getting one sub carefully matched with my speakers as far as phase and crossover.  Then I will match the second sub to the first subs phase.  Then of course apply eq.  I am not happy at all with my 80Hz and up response but my initial setup was very very quick.  Also not convinced that the two subs are perfectly phase aligned at the MLP.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #11625 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:

That's exactly what I was planning to do when I get my third one. Check out the REW thread here on AVS, they discuss about calibrating multiple subs in detail.

EDIT: Didn't notice the last line in your post. At the MLP do few more sweeps by moving the mic forward and side by ~ 1ft, that will help smoothen out the response. Audyssey sets the speaker delay/distance when you run the calibration, you shouldn't have to do that manually. I use the SW level up/down buttons to increase the SW level when I need, similar to the volume. Works very well ...

That's what I plan on doing with Audyssey XT and if there's not enough bass I'll just bump it up in the receivers's trim level. Jim said that Audy should set the sub level at about -7dB so I can adjust from there. Looking forward to going down to PSA and visit Tom and Jim and giving them a bribe to get the new speakers finished...........biggrin.gif
These guys are second to none in customer service and product quality..........wink.gif

j_nordi
post #11626 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

My entire HT room is on the same breaker. I've not had a problem yet, but any more power draw will most likely require a second (and maybe a third) dedicated breaker.

You are running three amps at nearly 550W and all of the other equipment such as the AVR, TV, Lights, etc., will push a 15A circuit breaker to its limits. Also, how old is your wiring?

I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits in my room and subs are on a dedicated (subs only) circuit. I have never tripped a breaker in this room even with a 4000 watt triax pushed to reference and numerous out board power amplifiers all running at the same time. Wiring is all new, I installed the 20 amp breakers and ran the 12/3 Romex and all receptacles are 20 amp. The only outside device on these circuits are a couple of lights and a few 200 mm cooling fans. I did measure the voltage of the wall plug with the Triax off and with it pounding and there was no difference or variance in voltage, good test to see what's happening at your power sources with equipment on and off. wink.gif
Cheers Jeff
climber07 likes this.

j_nordi
post #11627 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Quote:

I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits in my room and subs are on a dedicated (subs only) circuit. I have never tripped a breaker in this room even with a 4000 watt triax pushed to reference and numerous out board power amplifiers all running at the same time. Wiring is all new, I installed the 20 amp breakers and ran the 12/3 Romex and all receptacles are 20 amp. The only outside device on these circuits are a couple of lights and a few 200 mm cooling fans. I did measure the voltage of the wall plug with the Triax off and with it pounding and there was no difference or variance in voltage, good test to see what's happening at your power sources with equipment on and off. wink.gif
Cheers Jeff

Seems like this question pops up from time to time here. Tom has said a 15amp circuit should be fine to run a pair of Triax.

Personally, all my equipment is on the same 15amp circuit, including;

5 channel power amp; 5x250w
L&R speakers with their own powered woofers; 2x300w
Single Triax; 4000w
Plus all my source equipment, pre/pro, 60" plasma TV, etc.

I've never had an issue even when it feels like my room is about to collapse around me (5500 ft3 space)!

Keep in mind your amps only run at full output during brief peaks. Circuit breakers will pass multiple times their ratings on brief peaks like you encounter with normal movie and music material.

Now if you start blasting continuous sine waves you may run into trouble, not only with the breaker but your voice coils as well (what's that burning smell???). wink.gif

post #11628 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Seems like this question pops up from time to time here. Tom has said a 15amp circuit should be fine to run a pair of Triax.

Personally, all my equipment is on the same 15amp circuit, including;

5 channel power amp; 5x250w
L&R speakers with their own powered woofers; 2x300w
Single Triax; 4000w
Plus all my source equipment, pre/pro, 60" plasma TV, etc.

I've never had an issue even when it feels like my room is about to collapse around me (5500 ft3 space)!

Keep in mind your amps only run at full output during brief peaks. Circuit breakers will pass multiple times their ratings on brief peaks like you encounter with normal movie and music material.

Now if you start blasting continuous sine waves you may run into trouble, not only with the breaker but your voice coils as well (what's that burning smell???). wink.gif

I've never had an issue either, however, to run more than 1800W for more than a couple hundred ms will pop a standard 15A breaker.

The load should actually only be 80% of that, which is 1440W.

Even at reference, you're gonna be hard pressed to trip a 15A breaker with normal content.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #11629 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Ah, found an old post of mine where I quoted Tom's response to my questions about breaker size;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I asked Tom about using a 15 amp circuit (my only option). Here's his response.

There shouldn't be any issue. Modern home breakers will pass 3-4x their rated amperage for a few seconds at a time. Combine this (45-60amp capability) with the capacitor bank in the amp AND the transient nature of film and music source material and I bet you never run into any issues. Now, pop in a 20hz sine wave and crank it up and that's a little different..smile.gif

http://kevinboone.net/cableselection_web.html

post #11630 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

On a sort of semi related note....I unknowingly had two 8000 Btu air conditioners and a 12000 Btu in three different rooms on two different floors running on one 15 amp 86 year old knob and tube circuit. Talking about counting my blessings when the breaker tripped halfway through last summer. Needless to say, I immediately hired an electrician to install and wire new 20 amp dedicated breakers/outlets in all rooms for all air conditioners.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #11631 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks-. that's my thinking since i'm not planning on upgrading to the se anytime soon.... keeping two behind chair and adding a third xs30se on the otherside should blend in pretty good with the added(se)(more oomph).... or dual XS15se ......

so i guess my question now is will dual xs15se stacked side by side outgun 1 xs30se. i'm thinking yes?

Again I think a pair of XS15se would be a good addition...like I said before you can have one xs15 and xs30 on each side of the couch. It would look good, sound good, and maximize headroom. If you have 2 30's on one side and a single 30 on the other, the single would limit your duals unless you calibrated it lower. Then I doubt that would cure your localization issues.
post #11632 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

On a sort of semi related note....I unknowingly had two 8000 Btu air conditioners and a 12000 Btu in three different rooms on two different floors running on one 15 amp 86 year old knob and tube circuit. Talking about counting my blessings when the breaker tripped halfway through last summer. Needless to say, I immediately hired an electrician to install and wire new 20 amp dedicated breakers/outlets in all rooms for all air conditioners.

I hear ya. Since I installed solar panels on my house, my breaker box is full (and on the outside wall). I may have to install a bigger breaker box when I decide to run dual 20A breakers upstairs to my HT room. Luckily, it is directly over the breaker box... rolleyes.gif

post #11633 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Climber.....VERY neat and clean electrical/wiring on your house.

@Merc. Since triax is a no go, I agree with the suggestion of staying symmetrical on either side of your couch. If you add two xs15,s put an xs30 and an Xs15 on each side.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #11634 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Climber.....VERY neat and clean electrical/wiring on your house.

Hopefully, I can ruin some 12 ga to two outlets in the TV room without having to cut out the walls. Not sure that's going to be an option.

post #11635 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that PSA Tom and Jim are going to run or burn in my amps all weekend, at least three days or more and ship them on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday and from now on they will testing all new amps for many hours prior to shipping them to avoid what happened to me. So I believe everything happens for a reason, my amps failing will led to more rigorous QC on their part. Tom told me today that we (customers) are PSA's priority. Man Tom and Jim are great human beings and gentlemen.
Cheers Jeff
Mike Butny and basshead81 like this.

j_nordi
post #11636 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes I have talked to Tom about my 2 burned out amps as well. Looking forward to having them back up and running.
Quote:

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that PSA Tom and Jim are going to run or burn in my amps all weekend, at least three days or more and ship them on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday and from now on they will testing all new amps for many hours prior to shipping them to avoid what happened to me. So I believe everything happens for a reason, my amps failing will led to more rigorous QC on their part. Tom told me today that we (customers) are PSA's priority. Man Tom and Jim are great human beings and gentlemen.
Cheers Jeff

Onkyo tx nr3010 Polk rti12's fronts Polk CSI A6 center Polk RTI6 front hights 4 Polk FXIA6 surrounds, and surround backs 3 power sound audio xv15se Subwoofers Oppo bd103,Mitsubishi WD-65638 65-Inch,Panasonic 50" TC-P50ST60,
VIZIO 47” E470i-A0, PS4, XBOX ONE, PS4, WII
post #11637 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 66

slightly different topic here, but i have 2 xv15's which are absolutely amazing and smooth.  i have one located nearfield in the back corner, and the other is in the opposite corner of the room, but near my living room window.  these are by far the two best locations for them, and the smooth in room response is very impressive to say the least.  i even had a buddy over that has a single pb12 and he was amazed at the difference.  as he put it, he couldn't put his finger on it, but it just sounded smoother and better.  i agree.  so all that being said, there is one main issue i am having and that is the window rattling a bit during heavier scenes.  i understand that at the end of the day there is probably nothing i can do about this, but figured somebody may have a home remedy type solution.  i have wondered if i possibly tuck a blanket between the sub and the wall that the window is in, if this may help.  if so, will it also throw off in room response and evenness?  the other thing i have thought of is possibly something like dynamat.  i have an unfinished basement below my living room, and i have thought about using some dynamat that was left over from a car project, and sticking it in the rafters directly below where the subs fire.  i know in cars it will help with response and limit trunk rattle.  any thoughts here?  will either of these goof up response?  will they even help with the window rattle?  i know it's anal, but its just keeping things from being perfect!  :)

post #11638 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post

slightly different topic here, but i have 2 xv15's which are absolutely amazing and smooth.  i have one located nearfield in the back corner, and the other is in the opposite corner of the room, but near my living room window.  these are by far the two best locations for them, and the smooth in room response is very impressive to say the least.  i even had a buddy over that has a single pb12 and he was amazed at the difference.  as he put it, he couldn't put his finger on it, but it just sounded smoother and better.  i agree.  so all that being said, there is one main issue i am having and that is the window rattling a bit during heavier scenes.  i understand that at the end of the day there is probably nothing i can do about this, but figured somebody may have a home remedy type solution.  i have wondered if i possibly tuck a blanket between the sub and the wall that the window is in, if this may help.  if so, will it also throw off in room response and evenness?  the other thing i have thought of is possibly something like dynamat.  i have an unfinished basement below my living room, and i have thought about using some dynamat that was left over from a car project, and sticking it in the rafters directly below where the subs fire.  i know in cars it will help with response and limit trunk rattle.  any thoughts here?  will either of these goof up response?  will they even help with the window rattle?  i know it's anal, but its just keeping things from being perfect!  smile.gif

My friend, your window is rattling due to 10 - 17 meter long sound waves. Putting pads or blankets will do little, if anything, to stop the rattling.

You have to seek or tighten the offending (rattling) pieces. I recommend caulking or weather stripping between the Windows.

post #11639 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Liked: 66

kinda what i figured, but doesn't hurt to ask, eh?  lol.  if i turn it up loud enough, it tends to drown it out...but i walked outside and it sounded like the whole house was rattling apart.  i can only wonder what my neighbors think.  i just hope my direct neighbor isn't experiencing walls vibrating...she's a bit older and i can only assume she thinks it's an earthquake.  haha. 

post #11640 of 12926 Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:

My friend, your window is rattling due to 10 - 17 meter long sound waves. Putting pads or blankets will do little, if anything, to stop the rattling.

You have to seek or tighten the offending (rattling) pieces. I recommend caulking or weather stripping between the Windows.

You are so right on with that statement about the wave lengths as I was astounded by the output from my R&L front corner loaded XV15SEs at the back wall some thirty feet away. I've read some where that longer or bigger rooms make subwoofers sound bigger than they are, am I out of my mind in thinking this is true. tongue.gif

j_nordi
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page