Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12061 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
You should run both subs wired or wireless not both ways being your AVR can not set the distance for each sub independently. The other option is to purchase a mini dsp then you can set the distance/delay for each sub and run one sub wired and the other wireless.
Beefwahl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Ok Here is the best I could do:

Distance set to 13'1", XO in the AVR to 100, Phase on the sub at 75%

I don't know how to do just right and left speakers with HDMI with REW.

Experimenting with the phase is mainly to see how the sub and full range speakers combine at the crossover point(around 80hz).

If you have a pro-logic mode you can try that too and it may reroute the L/R channel info to the center entirely.

I need to go back and look at you initial round of measurements....but weren't you pretty flat out to 65-70hz? Are these taken at different seating positions?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12063 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

I think if I were to do this, due to the toe in I have set for imaging, that it would likely work great for the dead center MLP, but be much worse for all other seating positions due to the angle created by the toe in and downward slant.  It works well for the center channel because it is firing straight ahead.

When I mentioned the placement, I was more concerned with them being *in* the shelves. Maybe if you could use some wall mounts to get them out a few inches.........
post #12064 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

You should run both subs wired or wireless not both ways being your AVR can not set the distance for each sub independently. The other option is to purchase a mini dsp then you can set the distance/delay for each sub and run one sub wired and the other wireless.

Thanks. I'll grab another wireless kit and go that route!
post #12065 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Experimenting with the phase is mainly to see how the sub and full range speakers combine at the crossover point(around 80hz).

If you have a pro-logic mode you can try that too and it may reroute the L/R channel info to the center entirely.

I need to go back and look at you initial round of measurements....but weren't you pretty flat out to 65-70hz? Are these taken at different seating positions?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom, are you available for chat right now?
Jeffrey

j_nordi
post #12066 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:

Nice!! How are they sounding? I bet you are thrilled with difference in music SQ...smile.gif

You know, I wasn't sure there would be much difference from looking at the measurements. In my subjective listening sessions however, I have noticed an incredible difference in the response of these subs. These drivers have opened up my subs and given me the missing mid bass that I was seeking from the beginning. I don't run measurements, except to find nulls at the MLP, but I love these new drivers. They are, without a doubt, an entirely new subwooofer. Much more musical and powerful from bottom to top.
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #12067 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefwahl View Post

That is what I did too...smile.gif
post #12068 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

You know, I wasn't sure there would be much difference from looking at the measurements. In my subjective listening sessions however, I have noticed an incredible difference in the response of these subs. These drivers have opened up my subs and given me the missing mid bass that I was seeking from the beginning. I don't run measurements, except to find nulls at the MLP, but I love these new drivers. They are, without a doubt, an entirely new subwooofer. Much more musical and powerful from bottom to top.

Climber, I'm glad you mentioned that, I feel the same way, I don't remember the old XV15s I had some time ago but I have to say these SE versions are a significant inprovement especially with the added power handling. You just made me smile as my third V15SE will be here tomorrow and the fourth some time next week, I know for sure I made the right decision now, I'm coming from a single Triax. I noticed higher SPL readings with MV lower than my previous non SE models, maybe I'm crazy but that's what it looks to me.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12069 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

1) Do you want a room that looks good but sounds flawed?

2) Are you willing to sacrafice some asthetics for improving the response?

If you chose 1 then we are done here. smile.gif

Seriously there is not much you can do unless you move the LP and/or add more subs or reposition the current sub. I know you built a cabinet where the sub currently resides in, but unfortunately not all plans come together. I would chalk it up and start getting creative. Herr are some options that may or may not of been mentioned.

-place subs under the mains

-build a riser under the rear seats

-In wall

-move the screen out a couple feet and go IB Or do a build similar to JBrowns setup

On a side note, Do you still have the LV12? If so hook it up and place it in back of the room. The take some measurements...once you see and hear the improved response all of a sudden you might change your mind and deal with it. smile.gif

In a dedicated theatre room it should not be a big deal to have a sub back around the seats even if space is tight. Lets face it you spend most of the time sitting and viewing/listening, its not like you built a dance hall. You do not need tons of walkway/floor space to light up a disco ball and cut a rug. biggrin.gif

I will say your right seat response is not too shaby... the 10-30hz looks great. Do you notice much of a difference is sound between both seats?

I'd like to get that flattened out without gutting or changing TOO much in the room. I do have a 13" riser for the back row.

I do still have the LV12 but it would be about 15' from the AVR to the back, at that length should I be concerned about time delay at all?

And there's the fact of running a new cord to another sub. All my wires and cords are hidden in wall or behind the cabinet and cannot be seen. I don't want to rip in to the drywall a ton to run another cord. Could wireless be an option here?

Tom: yeah the first measurements I posted were with the UMIK in between the seats like a noob then realized I should be measuring both seats independently.

post #12070 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Climber, I'm glad you mentioned that, I feel the same way, I don't remember the old XV15s I had some time ago but I have to say these SE versions are a significant inprovement especially with the added power handling. You just made me smile as my third V15SE will be here tomorrow and the fourth some time next week, I know for sure I made the right decision now, I'm coming from a single Triax. I noticed higher SPL readings with MV lower than my previous non SE models, maybe I'm crazy but that's what it looks to me.
Cheers Jeff

You will be surprised by the "SE" output. I also noticed a quicker response from the driver. With regard to movies, I was watching the Avengers last night and noticed that the gunshots were more pronounced and clean. You can feel each shot as a crisp thump. cool.gif

With music, kick drums now have that added chest thump. I also noticed that the walls on the other side of the house now vibrate when I play music. They didn't do this with the original XV15. The original drivers seemed much more subdued and soft.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #12071 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

You will be surprised by the "SE" output. I also noticed a quicker response from the driver. With regard to movies, I was watching the Avengers last night and noticed that the gunshots were more pronounced and clean. You can feel each shot as a crisp thump. cool.gif

With music, kick drums now have that added chest thump. I also noticed that the walls on the other side of the house now vibrate when I play music. They didn't do this with the original XV15. The original drivers seemed much more subdued and soft.

I am surprised indeed, didn't expect so much output after coming from a Triax, don't get me wrong, I really liked the Triax but I had problems with even FR at various locations and realized that multiple subs was the answer, man was I right with the the V15SEs. smile.gif
Now with four of them soon I should have all I'll ever need. It is so easy to get carried away with this LFE, I don't need four subs, maybe after I get the other two I will finally be done with subs for a while. I was never one to say that any driver or speaker was fast but I have to agree with you on that, the SE is indeed just that, everything seems so pronounced and not laid back if that makes sense. wink.gif
I will see how this third XV15SE works out tomorrow and get back to everyone of my thoughts, I will be placing it behind the MLP about 6' and if not satisfied I will move it closer, the other rwo are front L&R cornwer loaded and the null I had (@ MLP) with the Triax is completely gone.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12072 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

When I mentioned the placement, I was more concerned with them being *in* the shelves. Maybe if you could use some wall mounts to get them out a few inches.........

That makes more sense.  One thing I thought when getting these, and not sure if I am right, is that the horn loaded tweeters would help prevent reflection issues as a result of being placed within the bookshelves, compared to flush mounted tweeters.  I am not too concerned about placement, although if pulling them out a few inches via some type of mounting mechanism would have a substantial effect for the better on my FR, I might consider it.  At this point, the biggest, dramatic, huge upgrade to my system will be the addition of surrounds speakers.  Past that, I will likely be done until next year as far as the system goes....damn savings account has dropped $10k so far this year its time to head the other direction for a while lol.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12073 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post

Mercury - Are you running xs30 and xv15se together?

EDIT: My bad at reading, it's a xs15se and not a xv smile.gif

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*
correct... waiting on my mic so i can get some measurments with REW.....

keep you posted!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #12074 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Quick question regarding integrating 2 XS30s using MCACC.

One XS30 is connected with standard sub cable. The new XS30 is connected via Rocketfish wireless.

I ran MCACC setup with just one sub on, for both subs.

MCACC recognizes the distance of the wireless sub as 45-feet. This makes up for the delay of the wireless.

MCACC recognizes the "hardwired" sub as its actual distance to LP.

My receiver, however, does not send info to each sub independently. Sub 1 and Sub 2 output is just really one sub output. I can get each sub dialed in nicely on its own, but when I have both on, I am limited to choosing the MCACC settings for only one of the subs (distance setting of 45 feet or 11 feet).

Should I simply run MCACC with both subs on and let MCACC "average out" the two subs, then adjust them?

I'll cross post this in the MCACC discussion as well.

Thanks

If your running more than 1 sub and your receiver or pre-amp does NOT have XT32 Sub eq or equivalent software which calibrates multiple subs independently, then you MUST position your subs from the same spot or close by, example, if you are running 2 subs the best option would to place both subs in the front of the room or both in the back of the room so that their distance is very close to equal from the listening position.

post #12075 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You can also run MCACC with both subs on. MCACC will treat them as one which is OK. Forget the distance numbers, they will no correlate. Also run the 3 point Standing Wave under advance MCACC and you should get pretty good result. Don't try and treat MCACC as Audyssee. I run 4 subs and all at different distance to the MLP with MCACC. It is generally better to treat the room as one large sub.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #12076 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree and I said it before and I will say it again, its not a subtle upgrade, these new drivers are in a completely different league. BTW, just wait until you get about 1-2 weeks on them.
ahblaza and climber07 like this.

post #12077 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post

I agree and I said it before and I will say it again, its not a subtle upgrade, these new drivers are in a completely different league. BTW, just wait until you get about 1-2 weeks on them.

while i'm sure the new drivers are better or Tom would have not went that rout but completely different league seems a bit much.
ahblaza likes this.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #12078 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66

now see....the first few user posts, and even tom himself have said the driver change would be subtle unless close or above reference.  i had totally talked myself into being "fine" with the original drivers....until the last few reviews here.  dang you guys!  always trying to make me spend money!  :/

post #12079 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

while i'm sure the new drivers are better or Tom would have not went that rout but completely different league seems a bit much.

Ok......maybe I might be a bit too excited with the new drivers but I stick by what I said, it is NOT a subtle upgrade.

post #12080 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

If your running more than 1 sub and your receiver or pre-amp does NOT have XT32 Sub eq or equivalent software which calibrates multiple subs independently, then you MUST position your subs from the same spot or close by, example, if you are running 2 subs the best option would to place both subs in the front of the room or both in the back of the room so that their distance is very close to equal from the listening position.

This isn't true. You can get by with two subs just fine without XT32 Sub eq. 

A good place to start with positioning dual subs is to place the first sub via the results of a sub crawl, and the second sub on the wall opposite to it. Adjust phase, and drive home safely. Moreover, XT32 Sub eq would be something you can do even after this, but it doesn't give you free reign just place your subs anywhere and always get the best response.  

I've been jamming with 2 subs before any flavor of Audyseey and at no point have I had to position my subs as definitively you detailed. 

post #12081 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Quick question regarding integrating 2 XS30s using MCACC.

One XS30 is connected with standard sub cable. The new XS30 is connected via Rocketfish wireless.

I ran MCACC setup with just one sub on, for both subs.

MCACC recognizes the distance of the wireless sub as 45-feet. This makes up for the delay of the wireless.

MCACC recognizes the "hardwired" sub as its actual distance to LP.

My receiver, however, does not send info to each sub independently. Sub 1 and Sub 2 output is just really one sub output. I can get each sub dialed in nicely on its own, but when I have both on, I am limited to choosing the MCACC settings for only one of the subs (distance setting of 45 feet or 11 feet).

Should I simply run MCACC with both subs on and let MCACC "average out" the two subs, then adjust them?

I'll cross post this in the MCACC discussion as well.

Thanks

I am using MCACC and also have an XS30(1). Would you mind telling me what you did step by step so that I can get my 1 sub dialed in as well?
post #12082 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

This isn't true. You can get by with two subs just fine without XT32 Sub eq. 

A good place to start with positioning dual subs is to place the first sub via the results of a sub crawl, and the second sub on the wall opposite to it. Adjust phase, and drive home safely. Moreover, XT32 Sub eq would be something you can do even after this, but it doesn't give you free reign just place your subs anywhere and always get the best response.  

I've been jamming with 2 subs before any flavor of Audyseey and at no point have I had to position my subs as definitively you detailed. 

If your using software that calibrates your multiply subs as one then it is highly recommend that you place the subs close by, IF you had your first sub in the front then you should but your second sub in front, you can spread them out but they are still in the front.If you place your first sub in the front of the room and your second sub in the back of the room they will not sound as good ( because they are calibrated as one sub ) . It is also highly recommended that you use 2 of the same subs or 2 very closely matched subs, with XT32 SUB-eq you have more leeway in placement and using 2 different subs as it calibrates them separately.

post #12083 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depending on the layout of the room/system you can also split the output on the current wireless kit.

So these really impart a >30ms delay? That is surprising. I will try to remember that. Thanks for the info.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12084 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, we originally were working on the SE driver design as something for the Triax. Therefore performance goals were quite high as was the acceptable cost per unit...after all, these were going to be used in a $2999 product! As the engineering process continued one key issue began cropping up within the Power-X product line. This was our difficulty in maintaining adequate inventory levels to ensure uninterrupted product shipping. So during the latter stages of the LAB15 experimentation we branched off into two different(but ultimately very similar) design tangents. First, we still continued in our attempts to optimized a custom variant of the LAB15 for the Triax design. Second, we began work to see if we could somehow do a "scaled down" version for the Power-X lineup. It didn't take us long to realize a scaled down version wasn't the best route for us to consider. We would measure "best version(which was essentially the Triax version with minor motor tweaks)" against "scaled down version" and the difference was obvious. In some ways, it was even more obvious in our listening sessions. The fly in the ointment was that the new "best version" was very expensive----roughly double what we have been paying for our Power-X drivers to date. So we were faced with a choice of maintaining pricing and going with a "really good" option, or increasing pricing and going with the best sounding Power-X driver we have ever heard/measured. Every time I see comments like this I become more convinced we have made the correct choice..smile.gif

The reality is, the Power-X SE drivers are "Triax quality" in every regard as that was their original landing spot so to speak.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
basshead81 likes this.
post #12085 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post

now see....the first few user posts, and even tom himself have said the driver change would be subtle unless close or above reference.  i had totally talked myself into being "fine" with the original drivers....until the last few reviews here.  dang you guys!  always trying to make me spend money!  :/

It is a tough balancing act to be sure. At the end of the day I would much rather have folks pleasantly surprised than somewhat disappointed. So I may be "slow rolling" what to expect a bit.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12086 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

If your using software that calibrates your multiply subs as one then it is highly recommend that you place the subs close by, IF you had your first sub in the front then you should but your second sub in front, you can spread them out but they are still in the front.If you place your first sub in the front of the room and your second sub in the back of the room they will not sound as good ( because they are calibrated as one sub ) . It is also highly recommended that you use 2 of the same subs or 2 very closely matched subs, with XT32 SUB-eq you have more leeway in placement and using 2 different subs as it calibrates them separately.

That's a bit better, but to definitively state that you MUST utilize that layout if you don't have XT32 Sub EQ is laughably false. Why your layout might not be bad to insist you must follow that layout in any or most cases is still mostly false. Again, I've found that 1/4 distance, with opposite corners is a good starting point, but it doesn't always work perfectly. Sometimes just stacking both in the same corner can be a good way if your room is too fickle. 

Sub EQ is simply a way to fine tune multiple subs, you also don't need it to otherwise calibrate each sub separately. What it does is apply volume level and time delay, then it treats the subs as one unit with typical Audyseey abracadabra. It's by no means a requirement with multiple subs, nor is it all that much fanfare for multiple sub users. If you think it'll rock your world, you're in for a bit of a disappointment. 

The fact is, you can do those things yourself in AVR settings and or gain (level) and by ensuring the same length cord (time delay) assuming the distances aren't too far off. If they are too far off you won't be able to fix that in this universe with any flavor of Audyseey. You'll still likely need to adjust phase on the subs. 

post #12087 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Well, we originally were working on the SE driver design as something for the Triax. Therefore performance goals were quite high as was the acceptable cost per unit...after all, these were going to be used in a $2999 product! As the engineering process continued one key issue began cropping up within the Power-X product line. This was our difficulty in maintaining adequate inventory levels to ensure uninterrupted product shipping. So during the latter stages of the LAB15 experimentation we branched off into two different(but ultimately very similar) design tangents. First, we still continued in our attempts to optimized a custom variant of the LAB15 for the Triax design. Second, we began work to see if we could somehow do a "scaled down" version for the Power-X lineup. It didn't take us long to realize a scaled down version wasn't the best route for us to consider. We would measure "best version(which was essentially the Triax version with minor motor tweaks)" against "scaled down version" and the difference was obvious. In some ways, it was even more obvious in our listening sessions. The fly in the ointment was that the new "best version" was very expensive----roughly double what we have been paying for our Power-X drivers to date. So we were faced with a choice of maintaining pricing and going with a "really good" option, or increasing pricing and going with the best sounding Power-X driver we have ever heard/measured. Every time I see comments like this I become more convinced we have made the correct choice..smile.gif

The reality is, the Power-X SE drivers are "Triax quality" in every regard as that was their original landing spot so to speak.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I can attest to Tom's above statement as I've had the Triax and became very accustomed to it's "sonic signature" so to speak as well. I knew the minute I fired my dual XV15SEs up that there was something very familiar with it's slam and punch sound with lots of headroom just like the Triax. I am proud to say that I am officially in the quad XV15SE club, I ordered my other two today, that's a testament to the quality of this sub. I was particular to sealed subs but these V15SEs have changed my mind, don't get my wrong I loved the Triax and my dual XS30s, I just feel the XV15SE is one of the best sounding subs regardless of price and now having four I will continue to push this sub on any newcomer or person looking to get their first real subwoofer or upgrade from another brand. The SE upgrade is no fluke or selling gimmick, it's the real deal. Tom and Jim, you made the right choice, now make the decision to teat the prototype speakers and let me complete my all PSA SOUND MACHINE................biggrin.gif
Cheers Jeffrey

j_nordi
post #12088 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Mike, I will have four subs as you probably know by now, two are upfront R&L corner loaded and the other two will be behind the MLP, I'm going to try and have as close to the MLP as the front two. All I have is Audy XT and a good Galaxy 140 and RS analog SPL meter. So I should let audyssey treat my subs a one big sub, correct. I have a good outline as how to manually setup four subs and then use Audy XT to set distances, delay and smooth out the FR. Am I on the right track short of getting a mic and REW (I plan on that in the future) to double check my setup as described above. I appreciate any thoughts on setting four subs up without REW to start. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12089 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66

i wanted to publicly thank tom, and mention that the live chat feature is pretty cool on the website.  just to soothe my curiosity, i have decided to initially upgrade only one of my two xv's.  i plan to a/b compare the two subs and let you guys know my thoughts.  unfortunately, i don't have any fancy graphs or measuring equipment....just my ears, a RS meter, and some of my favorite tracks to spin.  i plan on running just one sub at a time, calibrating using audessey, play some tracks that i am very familiar with, then swap the subs and do it again from the exact same placement.  i am very interested in what types of differences i will hear, as i just don't think graphs really indicate what you experience.  the RS meter will be to simply check the output levels using the same volume...and that is only to provide some on here with a little bit of numbers data to slosh around their brain.  lol.  again, tom, thank you for answering all my questions and taking all my hard earned money!  :P

to say im excited is an understatement, especially after the mention of the similarities to the triax drivers in the above posts.  i will report back my findings.

post #12090 of 13130 Old 06-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Mike, I will have four subs as you probably know by now, two are upfront R&L corner loaded and the other two will be behind the MLP, I'm going to try and have as close to the MLP as the front two. All I have is Audy XT and a good Galaxy 140 and RS analog SPL meter. So I should let audyssey treat my subs a one big sub, correct. I have a good outline as how to manually setup four subs and then use Audy XT to set distances, delay and smooth out the FR. Am I on the right track short of getting a mic and REW (I plan on that in the future) to double check my setup as described above. I appreciate any thoughts on setting four subs up without REW to start. TIA
Cheers Jeff

Ahblaza, Please read below:

When you run MultEQ or MultEQ XT in this type of AVR, you will find that by using a Y-cord connector Audyssey now pings both your subs as if they are one and sets the level and distance as if they are one and then goes on to EQ them as if they are one. This also means that it is highly recommended to use identical subs, if possible, and place them equidistant from the Main Listening Position or very close together (collocated). Because Audyssey MultEQ XT cannot set the levels and the delays individually, you can see why it is a good idea for the subs to be equidistant from the Main Listening Position and identical to each other, or have very similar critical performance specifications. It is also important to set the levels on both subs so that they are the same, before you do the Audyssey calibration. One way to do this is to run a test tone from your AVR or a calibration disc with one sub switched off. Set the active sub so that it reads about 72dB using a Sound Pressure Level meter located at the Main Listening Position. Then switch that sub off and repeat the procedure for the second sub. It is vital that you do this step or your subs will be unbalanced'. If you aim for 72dB on each sub then you will allow for the greater output from the pair. MultEQ and MultEQ XT will adjust the sub trim to the appropriate level when doing the calibration.
ahblaza likes this.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page