Forum Jump: 

post #12241 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The closer you place the subs the greater the tactile feel. The XV15se is going to have a 7db advantage in the 16-25hz, but the sub is bigger and cost more. The advantage the XS15se will have is deeper extension and more compact size, but 2 XS15se would not match the XV15se around its tune. I think the XV15 will do a better job for blu rays, but with your room and size listening habits sealed will work. Quad XS15's should net some solid output down to 10hz. I think Bear and myself are on the same page, we do not feel sub 15hz is that important. Some want to experience everything that is on the disk, but for my room I do not feel its worth chasing frequencies that you might only experience for less then a minute on a disk and that is if the disk has content that goes that low. It all comes down to preferences, goals, room size, waf, and budget.

most important thing to me is blending with the music from my studio 100s naturally.. be crossing over 50-60hz area .. subs will be set up with left and right stereo output for 2 channel

for movies they will me mono channel.. and about 8 ft apart.. 7db loss over the vented sub sounds massive .. will the xs 15 still have enough output and round 16 20 hz
to be usefull for movies?

thanks

Last edited by cableguy301; 06-14-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

most important thing to me is blending with the music from my studio 100s naturally.. be crossing over 50-60hz area .. subs will be set up with left and right stereo output for 2 channel

for movies they will me mono channel.. and about 8 ft apart.. 7db loss over the vented sub sounds massive .. will the xs 15 still have enough output and round 16 20 hz

thanks
From what I understand, Josh Ricci has tested the XS15, we are just waiting for the review to be posted. As far as if they will have enough output on movies, only you can determine that. One would probably give way more than most people could ever want. For others, four would fall short.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12243 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 140
A sub close to you may not give the best tactile response in all cases. I moved my subs further apart and actually got a sightly better tactile response. Two of my subs are 20 ft from the MLP. It seem counter intuitive but, it's true. I did not loose any spl.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #12244 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Quote:

thanks
From what I understand, Josh Ricci has tested the XS15, we are just waiting for the review to be posted. As far as if they will have enough output on movies, only you can determine that. One would probably give way more than most people could ever want. For others, four would fall short.

yeah will be nice to read the review could post a link please and thank you!

cheers
post #12245 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Quote:

thanks
He is still in the process of completing all the data collection. Then he has to review, edit, format, etc. Then we get it for peer review, comments, etc. In other words, it may be a few days, or a few weeks. We must remember that Josh does this in his "spare time" and that much of it can only be accomplished "weather permitting".. He needs to increase his rates too. I know how much time and work goes into these tests.

I know I'm bias a bit here but our charting on the website should match up with his stuff very well...+/- half a dB for example....FR as well. I know every wants to see the "guts" though...Group delay, Impulse, Compression, etc. I don't blame you guys..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #12246 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The closer you place the subs the greater the tactile feel. The XV15se is going to have a 7db advantage in the 16-25hz, but the sub is bigger and cost more. The advantage the XS15se will have is deeper extension and more compact size, but 2 XS15se would not match the XV15se around its tune. I think the XV15 will do a better job for blu rays, but with your room and size listening habits sealed will work. Quad XS15's should net some solid output down to 10hz. I think Bear and myself are on the same page, we do not feel sub 15hz is that important. Some want to experience everything that is on the disk, but for my room I do not feel its worth chasing frequencies that you might only experience for less then a minute on a disk and that is if the disk has content that goes that low. It all comes down to preferences, goals, room size, waf, and budget.

thanks

I know it may seem counter intuitive with quality speakers like the 100s that extend quite low but I would not predetermine the best crossover frequency until you experiment a bit. The XS15se are very "potent" in the upper bass and you may find a crossover of 80hz or even 100hz sounds best----particularly at very high volume levels. Much depends on how each speaker(100s and XS15se) interact with the room at their chosen placement though. The group delay, stored ringing and impulse are all exceptional on the XS15se as well.

In terms of clean output potential with action oriented films...you should be fine. I'd (conservatively) look for 109-112dB of clean output in the 15-20hz range....with headroom increasing as the frequencies rise. By 30hz(ish) you should be well over 120dB the rest of the way up.

With the system calibrated and the bass say 2-3dB hot you'll have full reference level capabilities down to 25-30hz. In the 15-25hz range...you'll be fine for master volume levels of say -10. (ten decibels under reference level). Also remember, if you go ABOVE this master volume level the XS15se won't start "clacking or making all sorts of odd noises". They will just stop getting louder and cap some of the most demanding transients.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #12247 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Gaaaawwwwd, this new site update is horrible...can't go to latest post easily, can't preview the beginning of new posts.....all the convenience I was used to is gone.. I hope they can fix this because it is much less user friendly imo.
I didn't even know the site was up and running, I wondered why I wasn't getting any email notifications with PSA threads, man I'm lost here. Is there still instant email notification or do I have to set that up on this new format?
Cheers, Jeff, missed you guys
OK, I got it now, I see it's at the bottom, OK what did I miss, anything new or exciting?

j_nordi
post #12248 of 13373 Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
A sub close to you may not give the best tactile response in all cases. I moved my subs further apart and actually got a sightly better tactile response. Two of my subs are 20 ft from the MLP. It seem counter intuitive but, it's true. I did not loose any spl.

Thanks for the heads up, I have two about 13-14' and the other two will be about 8-10' behind the MLP, waiting on the fourth. Will post my thoughts.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12249 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ordered my dual XS15se's yesterday! Tom says I should have them by Friday, and I'll set them up over next weekend. Can't wait to try them out!
ahblaza and flydeep like this.
post #12250 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinH View Post
Ordered my dual XS15se's yesterday! Tom says I should have them by Friday, and I'll set them up over next weekend. Can't wait to try them out!
congrats on the purchase of your new subs... im looking at those as well.. may I ask why you decided on a pair of xs15se?

thanks and enjoy!
post #12251 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
It does in my room so I made that comment based on what I experienced.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12252 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 05:52 PM

Constructed of double shielded, true 75 ohm coax cable for ultra crisp sounding audio
FPE dielectric insulation allows for a stable velocity of propagation therefore minimizing possible timing delays
Cables nominal capacitance is an exceptional 18.6 pf/ft and has a nominal attenuation of 3.00 dB/100ft
Dual shielding includes a 100% aluminum/mylar foil, plus a 95% tinned copper braid
High quality, gold plated, heavy duty shielded connectors optimizes connectivity and maintains a clear signal integrity
The connector backshells are made of a durable, zinc plated metal alloy
Lead Free, "silver laced" solder is used in order to reduce loss and maximize conductivity
Lifetime manufacturers warranty

does the above sound like a good rca male to male double shielded sub cable ?
post #12253 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds over the top...ill just stick with media bridge cables or mono price premium stuff.
post #12254 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Sounds over the top...ill just stick with media bridge cables or mono price premium stuff.

really over the top... ? its a 6.00 dollar cable..

need to know what your buying bro!

cheers
post #12255 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Constructed of double shielded, true 75 ohm coax cable for ultra crisp sounding audio
FPE dielectric insulation allows for a stable velocity of propagation therefore minimizing possible timing delays
Cables nominal capacitance is an exceptional 18.6 pf/ft and has a nominal attenuation of 3.00 dB/100ft
Dual shielding includes a 100% aluminum/mylar foil, plus a 95% tinned copper braid
High quality, gold plated, heavy duty shielded connectors optimizes connectivity and maintains a clear signal integrity
Lead Free, "silver laced" solder is used in order to reduce loss and maximize conductivity

Sounds really good to me, I use all BJC cables in my setup and for the money, made in the USA (Belden) and terminated by BJC you can't go wrong. Life time warranty as well, not for $6 tho. I believe, besides the cable material, the ends and how they are terminated are vital to cable performance and reliability, just my 2 cents.... Who makes the cable you're describing, just curious for 6$.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12256 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

really over the top... ? its a 6.00 dollar cable..

need to know what your buying bro!

cheers
I was just assuming since you posted a paragraph of all the contents it was something special. Point is I do not get that deep with cables. That being said for 6.00 I would try it.
post #12257 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:
congrats on the purchase of your new subs... im looking at those as well.. may I ask why you decided on a pair of xs15se?

thanks and enjoy!
Really just price and the advice of those on this thread. I was looking at PSA, Rhythmik, and SVS. I chose the 2xs15se's over 1 xs30se in order to gain better sound equalization. I didn't go ported because it was a little outside my budget, and I had ported before and I find sealed to provide a tighter, cleaner sound that I like. The duals should give me a nice flat bass and plenty of extension for my room. We'll see in a week!
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
post #12258 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up, I have two about 13-14' and the other two will be about 8-10' behind the MLP, waiting on the fourth. Will post my thoughts.
Cheers Jeff
If you have 4 subs try the spreading them out as far as possible, like all 4 corners or mid wall. Corner loading may more than make up for spl due to distance. I use mine this way.
ahblaza likes this.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500

Last edited by derrickdj1; 06-16-2014 at 11:00 AM.
post #12259 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Quote:

Sounds really good to me, I use all BJC cables in my setup and for the money, made in the USA (Belden) and terminated by BJC you can't go wrong. Life time warranty as well, not for $6 tho. I believe, besides the cable material, the ends and how they are terminated are vital to cable performance and reliability, just my 2 cents.... Who makes the cable you're describing, just curious for 6$.
Cheers Jeff
what do you pay for bjc 's sub rca cable and how long is it?

sorry I reported the wrong price its 9.80 for 6ft and 10.80 for 10ft...

which is really good for up in Canada ... im also use my cable guy discounts.. he he he which is not much he he he .. 15%

but it sure is better than 49.99 for 15ft retail... best buy stuff...

cheers..
post #12260 of 13373 Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks and enjoy!
Really just price and the advice of those on this thread. I was looking at PSA, Rhythmik, and SVS. I chose the 2xs15se's over 1 xs30se in order to gain better sound equalization. I didn't go ported because it was a little outside my budget, and I had ported before and I find sealed to provide a tighter, cleaner sound that I like. The duals should give me a nice flat bass and plenty of extension for my room. We'll see in a week!

nice .. let us know what you think..
post #12261 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Today I watched Olympic has fallen in my 10x14 sealed room with my triax and my pb 12 plus the triax just kills my room the triax hits very low bass that u could feel big time and I haven't even hit reference yet.
ahblaza and Kini62 like this.
post #12262 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert760 View Post
Today I watched Olympic has fallen in my 10x14 sealed room with my triax and my pb 12 plus the triax just kills my room the triax hits very low bass that u could feel big time and I haven't even hit reference yet.
Hi Robert,

I still remember our initial conversations about the Triax. You were considering ordering duals for that room. I was trying to convince you to just start with one. There has got to be some serious pressurization going on there..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12263 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks and enjoy!
Hi Quentin, These should be shipping out in about an hour. We'll have all the tracking info on the way soon.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12264 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Quote:
Quote:

thanks
He is still in the process of completing all the data collection. Then he has to review, edit, format, etc. Then we get it for peer review, comments, etc. In other words, it may be a few days, or a few weeks. We must remember that Josh does this in his "spare time" and that much of it can only be accomplished "weather permitting".. He needs to increase his rates too. I know how much time and work goes into these tests.

I know I'm bias a bit here but our charting on the website should match up with his stuff very well...+/- half a dB for example....FR as well. I know every wants to see the "guts" though...Group delay, Impulse, Compression, etc. I don't blame you guys..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Just a heads up, we have seen most/all of the data now I believe and Josh is hoping to have the time to update his site with the XS15se and XV30Fse data sets in the next day or two.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12265 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Just a heads up, we have seen most/all of the data now I believe and Josh is hoping to have the time to update his site with the XS15se and XV30Fse data sets in the next day or two.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
OOh two new subs tested...yum.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12266 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I am glad a sealed and ported sub were tested instead of the XS15 and XS30 which I believe was mentioned initially. That way we can have a idea of how the entire power X lineup will perform.
post #12267 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am glad a sealed and ported sub were tested instead of the XS15 and XS30 which I believe was mentioned initially. That way we can have a idea of how the entire power X lineup will perform.
I think we have 2 XS30se out for review now. One with a new reviewer(for us) that also does CEA-2010.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sent Josh the XV15se later this summer/ early fall with the Triax in tow..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12268 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Every sub you make tested independently by third parties? That's not allowed is it? I do believe you will be the only company to claim that. Says a lot about your confidence in your products and advertised output data.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12269 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Every sub you make tested independently by third parties? That's not allowed is it? I do believe you will be the only company to claim that. Says a lot about your confidence in your products and advertised output data.
I have no doubt in my mind, people like "he who shall not be named" will call bs. Will say the testers were paid off. That the conditions were faked. SOMETHING, so in their petty little minds they're right and everybody else is wrong.

I keep thinking of getting another errr a new xv15se, but.. alas, I still have way too many hobbies. lol
post #12270 of 13373 Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Tom, do you expect an increase in sales due to the third party testing/reviews, and, if so, do you expect to be able to meet the demand?

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page