Forum Jump: 

post #12391 of 12957 Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I don't think the orientation of the driver affects much, although near field, for the extra tactile effect, firing them sideways into the chairs may increase the effect.

I would place them on each side of your two recliners, so each seat has a nearfield sub, as endtables. Experiment if side firing them into the chairs makes a difference. If your FR is good with them here I think that would work well.
Bear, they are just that, thoughts, and you know what happens when I start thinking and going into my head alone...DANGER I abandoned the stacking and front firing idea and have the two rear subs placed behind and to the L&R of the MLP at about 11' apart, very similar to my front two corner loaded subs. Distances are almost all equal to my seating position, this should make for a very smooth FR and hopefully easier calibration and integration to the rest of my rig. That's why I come here and post my thoughts before doing them, I get a pretty good perspective of what not to do, thanks for all your help. I want to get these four all dialed in and hopefully when the new speakers are ready I should be good to go. Right now I'm using some inexpensive monitors that do sound good only because of the subs, the XV15SEs make everything sound good, well almost everything
Cheers my man, Jeff

j_nordi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12957 Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Sorry my friend if I came off a bit strong with the emphatic NO, as Tom said you see how problematic that would be. That's one reason no port plugs are shipped with the vented subwoofers
Cheers Jeff
That was the correct answer though.. If someone altered one of our subs in this manner(sealing a ported or porting a sealed)....and popped in something like War of the Worlds at loud levels things could get messy.

Thanks to Jeff and all the others here who take the time to answer these questions too. I can usually stop by a couple times a day but sometimes I will look and there are 3-4 new PAGES of posts. So I'm sure I miss questions more often than not.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12393 of 12957 Old 06-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
That was the correct answer though.. If someone altered one of our subs in this manner(sealing a ported or porting a sealed)....and popped in something like War of the Worlds at loud levels things could get messy.

Thanks to Jeff and all the others here who take the time to answer these questions too. I can usually stop by a couple times a day but sometimes I will look and there are 3-4 new PAGES of posts. So I'm sure I miss questions more often than not.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, it is my pleasure to assist you and others with any questions that I have knowledge or experience with, I've been an early adopter of PSA products and many of my questions you or Jim have answered so now I'm able to convey that info to others and like you know I've had every one of your subs in my home except the XV30. You're welcome my friend.
Jeffrey Nordi

j_nordi
post #12394 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The search function doesn't seem to be working, so apologies on not being able to find the answer to my question on my own. Realizing I'm posting to a biased audience in this thread, I'd welcome any input:

Set up: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000s upfront, Def Tech ProSub 1000 (which I'm looking to replace). Center is a proCenter 1000, rears are proMonitor800s. Denon 1913 AVR.

Room: 14x22x9 with the room open to a stair well, a dining room and a hall way.

Use: Probably gets more use for TV than anything, time wise, but 2.1 stereo music listening is where I focus my attention. Obviously, digging deeper on the register when watching movies is something I'm hoping for.

Budget: was hoping for the $500 range, but as I indicate below, I could go up to $1000.

Smaller and higher quality fit and finish are important for WAF, but she is fine with the current DT sub, which isn't really a beauty, in my opinion.

I'm considering:
I've emailed with SVS and they recommended the PB1000. Merlin says the PB1000 or SB1000. Given my preference for musical performance over HT use, I thought about opting for the SB1000 over their advice, and since its smaller, I could maybe convince the wife to allow a second one in the room. 2x SB1000 is the priciest option I've considered, but sealed subs (tighter bass) and the small footprint appeal to me.

I've emailed Hsu and described my room, speakers and uses and the recommendation was the Hsu VTF-3 Mk4. My reservations are its size and the variable tuning will probably lead to me fiddling with it until my wife threatens my physical well being.

Lots of folks have recommended the Rythmik LV12R, and reviews seem to indicate that it is especially music friendly for a ported sub.

PSA recommended the xv15se, but I think that'll be just too massive; they said the PSA xs15 would also do well as long as I didn't want to play at extremely loud volumes.

Other options I should consider, or help picking among the choices presented is appreciated.
post #12395 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Well I have never used the XV15's without them so I can't compare, but I don't have any problem with the subs dancing around. Jim said this can sometimes happen at very high output levels on hardwood. I am sure no PSA owners ever turn their subs up very loud though so.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
The search function doesn't seem to be working, so apologies on not being able to find the answer to my question on my own. Realizing I'm posting to a biased audience in this thread, I'd welcome any input:

Set up: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000s upfront, Def Tech ProSub 1000 (which I'm looking to replace). Center is a proCenter 1000, rears are proMonitor800s. Denon 1913 AVR.

Use: Probably gets more use for TV than anything, time wise, but 2.1 stereo music listening is where I focus my attention. Obviously, digging deeper on the register when watching movies is something I'm hoping for.

Budget: was hoping for the $500 range, but as I indicate below, I could go up to $1000.

Smaller and higher quality fit and finish are important for WAF, but she is fine with the current DT sub, which isn't really a beauty, in my opinion.

I'm considering:
I've emailed with SVS and they recommended the PB1000. Merlin says the PB1000 or SB1000. Given my preference for musical performance over HT use, I thought about opting for the SB1000 over their advice, and since its smaller, I could maybe convince the wife to allow a second one in the room. 2x SB1000 is the priciest option I've considered, but sealed subs (tighter bass) and the small footprint appeal to me.

I've emailed Hsu and described my room, speakers and uses and the recommendation was the Hsu VTF-3 Mk4. My reservations are its size and the variable tuning will probably lead to me fiddling with it until my wife threatens my physical well being.

Lots of folks have recommended the Rythmik LV12R, and reviews seem to indicate that it is especially music friendly for a ported sub.

PSA recommended the xv15se, but I think that'll be just too massive; they said the PSA xs15 would also do well as long as I didn't want to play at extremely loud volumes.

Other options I should consider, or help picking among the choices presented is appreciated.
Ah - the proverbial "what sub(s) should I buy scenario" - first let's look at your room dimensions - 2772 cubic feet + the undefined spaces you mention. Typical rule of thumb seems to be that sealed sub(s) are fine for <3000 cubic feet listening areas, ported for >3000 cubic feet - although you'll probably find arguments for sealed/ported regardless of room size.

"Use: Probably gets more use for TV than anything, time wise, but 2.1 stereo music listening is where I focus my attention. Obviously, digging deeper on the register when watching movies is something I'm hoping for."

You mention watching movies on TV - are you streaming via Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc, watching BluRays? The better the content source - the better any sub you purchase will be capable of reproducing the bass & LFE content. If you are just watching standard over the air, or cable/satellite content your subwoofers & speakers will be receiving a very compressed signal and your subwoofer output will be reduced significantly.

Size matters - if you are simply looking for a small subwoofer footprint - the dual SB1000 option may work well for you. Keep in mind that the main advantage of utilizing 2 or more subwoofers is to smooth the response in your room. Do you utilize measuring equipment, i.e. REW or Omnimac? If so that will be helpful in optimizing subwoofer placement. However you seem to hint at WAF issues - and to the extent that placement options are limited - it may not make sense to purchase two subwoofers if you are restricted in placement options.

Most participants in this thread will tell you to opt for as much woofage as you can afford, and as much WAF pushback as you can tolerate. All I can tell you is that after about 10 years of fumbling through an assortment of subwoofer(s) purchases I finally arrived at my current configuration of a PSA XS 30 + XS 15 in a room slightly smaller than yours (2447 cubic feet) with the ability to close the doors off to the rest of the house. You didn't mention typical listening volume and/or type of movie content, although you did mention 2.1 stereo preference for music. Virtually all of the sub options you mentioned will provide superior results to your current ProSub 1000 - my experience suggests that you purchase the most powerful sub your budget & WAF will tolerate, and think about adding a matching sub down the road once the budget/WAF absorb the initial purchase impact.
dsrussell likes this.

post #12396 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Donny: I concur with ggsantafe.

Your room size of approx. 2,800 cu.ft., with the addition of open areas to the dining room, hall and stairway indicates that you have a large size room to fill (3,000 - 5,000 cu. ft. is considered large). Any subwoofer will try to fill all those areas and I'm sorry to say that only the biggest subs are capable of doing that with any success. Looking for a small sub to accomplish that task simply won't get you there. The subs you've mentioned would be good for small rooms up to the lower level of a medium sized room (say 1,000 - 2,000 cu. ft.). Even at that size, satisfaction will depend upon how loud you listen to music and movies. Blu-ray movies can be the most demanding, but music requires more accuracy, and the louder you listen the more demanding it will be on the sub. I don't know if any single subwoofer in your price range will give you what you want, so you might think about multiples, perhaps one now and one when funds are available. Since I haven't auditioned any of those subs you've mentioned (even though I own a PSA sub and an SVS sub), I cannot give you a preference. BTW, the XS15se isn't very large.
post #12397 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

Smaller and higher quality fit and finish are important for WAF...... but sealed subs (tighter bass) and the small footprint appeal to me.

First, lets dispel a myth. I don't know where this comes from, but it sure seems to get repeated a lot. Sealed subs don't necessarily produce "tighter" bass than ported subs. The truth is, equivalent quality ported and sealed subs will sound just as good on music. I think the misconception occurs because when one is considering a subwoofer for music only, sealed is the natural choice. Not because they are better, tighter, crisper, more detailed, or any other false adjective, but because the larger size of a ported sub which provides much higher output in the 16-30 Hz region for movies, is not needed for a music only sub. So it is not that sealed are better for music, its that ported have an unnecessary output advantage in a lower octave, at the cost of larger size and higher price.

For this reason, if one desires a sub that sounds great on music, but also hits hard on movies, ported can be a better choice. So I think PSA is on the money with their suggestion of the XV15se: great on music, great on movies. The XS15 will also be great with music, and half as good with movies.

As far as size goes, the XV15 actually has a moderate size with a 17" dimension...much smaller than the VTF15 or FV15HP. Hsu's VTF-3 was also a good recommendation, but I think the XV15 will out perform it in your large room.
Alan P, RJW1966, Saturn94 and 1 others like this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12398 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really appreciate the thoughtful responses from the previous three posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

You mention watching movies on TV - are you streaming via Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc, watching BluRays? The better the content source - the better any sub you purchase will be capable of reproducing the bass & LFE content. If you are just watching standard over the air, or cable/satellite content your subwoofers & speakers will be receiving a very compressed signal and your subwoofer output will be reduced significantly.
Most of time, cable TV is what's on, but we watch a fair amount of Netflix as well; however, when I'm looking to really have a home theater experience, particularly for action/sci-fi monies, we always go Blu-ray, and naturally that's where I really look to be impressed by my Home theater.

I do like to listen to music fairly loud when I can.

Bear123 - that's a very interesting point that I haven't heard about sealed vs. ported, but it actually makes quite a bit of sense.

Finally, I do not currently use any measuring equipment, other than the calibration mic that came with the AVR. WAF pretty well dictates the placement of the current sub, and even with a small foot print, placement of a second sub would pretty well be predetermined, regardless of any results of a sub crawl, etc. Current sub is against the wall (and next to the component cabinet) basically across from the MLP. a second sub would probably have to go either against the wall to the left of the MLP (across the room from the current sub position), or midway against the wall on the right side of the room (MLP and sub are along front and back walls).
post #12399 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I would go with the XV15se..you can also get in a nice real wood veneer for a upcharge.
I think this sub offers the best blend of music/home theater performance at a fairly compact size considering other ID subs on the market. You get a 30day free trial too fwiw.
ahblaza and climber07 like this.
post #12400 of 12957 Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
another thing to point out as well, just because the xv15 is, well, a 15" don't assume it has a huge cabinet. i used to own an SVS pb10nsd, and truthfully, the XV15 that i have now is about the same size cabinet. maybe another inch or two taller, but just as long and wide. massive difference in sound quality though...especially the SE version. it is actually pretty much the perfect size for a nice end table near your couch. flip back through the pages and you can see what i'm talking about. a few pics of people using them as end tables, which may give you extra placement options...especially if you get one of the veneer finishes. just my $.02
climber07 likes this.
post #12401 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well I've joined the dual XS30 club, ordered the second sub this afternoon, it will be delivered on Friday morning so I'll have the whole weekend to play.
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
post #12402 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
Well I've joined the dual XS30 club, ordered the second sub this afternoon, it will be delivered on Friday morning so I'll have the whole weekend to play.
Congrats. You will now know what everyone is raving about. Duals is the only way to have bass in your room
Kazz063 likes this.
post #12403 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Congrats. You will now know what everyone is raving about. Duals is the only way to have bass in your room
Yep that seems to be the consensus, can't wait till the weekend.
post #12404 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm considering:

Couple quick thoughts.

1)From what I can gather on your DT sub I don't think you'll consider the PB1000 a huge upgrade----especially with music at louder volume levels.

2)The Xv15se and XS15se have very similar output capabilities in the mid and upper bass. ^0hz to 100hz is within 0.5dB or so for example. So for most music, you'll have a ton of headroom with either choice. The biggest difference between the XV15se and the XS15se will be the output capabilities in the 16-35hz range. In your room environment the extension capabilities would probably be very close.

I would estimate the XS15se has roughly 3x the headroom of the DT 1000 subs (7.5 to 10dB more output).

You will very likely be 100% happy with the XS15se but if you had the XV15se and XS15se in the room for comparison...I bet you would lean slightly toward the XV15se. This is particularly true if you really cranked action oriented DVDs.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #12405 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Well, I have been doing some messing around with my subwoofers and I have to say that after doing some tweaks the difference between my XV15 and my XV15SE is much more apparent than it was before. I still can't pull the trigger on the upgrade kit for my XV15 right now (lawn tractor died and had to buy a new one) but hopefully I can soon.

To anyone thinking about whether or not they should buy a XV15SE I can't state just how good these subs sound. The XV15 itself still sounds great as well but this new SE version is pretty much incredible (especially at the price point they're at).
ahblaza likes this.
post #12406 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM

Where is everyone, seems a little dead around here, I quess everybody is too busy listening to their subwoofers. Well I finally got all four XV15SEs hooked up and placed, will do some calibrating tonight and post my thoughts. One thing I have to say is my front two V15SEs are sounding better and better everyday. I have the othe two behind the MLP about the same distance to MLP as the front two, I think putting them together behind the MLP will be more or a handicap than spreading them out and letting them breathe so to speak. The house should be rocking If anybody's on the fence with the XV15SE climb over it
Cheers Jeff
Mike Butny and cableguy301 like this.

j_nordi
post #12407 of 12957 Old 06-23-2014, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Followed these forums a couple years ago when I bought my outlaw lfm-1-ex. Always wanted to try duals so I snagged a couple SVS PB12-nsd's, but EVERYTHING I read says there is more to be bad. Long story short, dual XV15se's coming my way..... Curious to see how these stack up.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12408 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Followed these forums a couple years ago when I bought my outlaw lfm-1-ex. Always wanted to try duals so I snagged a couple SVS PB12-nsd's, but EVERYTHING I read says there is more to be bad. Long story short, dual XV15se's coming my way..... Curious to see how these stack up.
Congrats!! They blow away the pb12's IMHO

Gonna be one happy camper
post #12409 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Congrats!! They blow away the pb12's IMHO

Gonna be one happy camper
I hope so. The numbers Tom V. Is showing certainly are impressive, and with the free trials I figured there is nothing to lose. The wait is excruciating though!
post #12410 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you still have the 1ex try a single XV15se against that as time allows. Then try the duals against the duals. Be sure you spend some time with your favorite music too. I know the tendency is to grab War of the Worlds with every new subwoofer purchase...but in some regards a music listening session can be just as important..

Also, Anyone waiting on a shipping notice should see something within 1-2 business days. We have a large quantity of amplifiers inbound at the moment. They left Chicago yesterday for Cleveland. And I'm hoping they'll be here tomorrow.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12411 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Good thinking, going duals with the XV15s is by far the best way to go (unless you are lucky enough to go with trips or quads). I went with a single at first and was very happy but once I got the duals set up I have been blown away at the sound quality, power, and over all impact that they have had on my HT. Brian Fineberg said once you have duals you will never look back and he was absolutely right.

I also want to second what Tom said about listening to your favorite music with these subs. Everyday I find myself sitting back and being amazed at the sound quality these subs are providing with music. And I'm not just saying that, I really mean it. These subs do music justice.
post #12412 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Where is everyone, seems a little dead around here, I quess everybody is too busy listening to their subwoofers.
Just patiently waiting for my sub woofer at this point, and probably a few in the same boat. Seems Tom must have outdone himself and they have been selling like hot cakes. The best things always seem to require a bit of a wait
ahblaza likes this.
post #12413 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
If you still have the 1ex try a single XV15se against that as time allows. Then try the duals against the duals. Be sure you spend some time with your favorite music too. I know the tendency is to grab War of the Worlds with every new subwoofer purchase...but in some regards a music listening session can be just as important..

Also, Anyone waiting on a shipping notice should see something within 1-2 business days. We have a large quantity of amplifiers inbound at the moment. They left Chicago yesterday for Cleveland. And I'm hoping they'll be here tomorrow.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Kinda tempted to upgrade my order to XV30se's to avoid this wait..... I'm pathetic
ahblaza likes this.
post #12414 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Kinda tempted to upgrade my order to XV30se's to avoid this wait..... I'm pathetic
You've got it bad man...
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #12415 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
You've got it bad man...
Is that because he buttered his pants?....LOL

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #12416 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
there is more to be Had.
This is always the case. Dual XVs, dual, XS30s, dual JTR S2, dual JTR OS, 8x18" IB etc........

There is ALWAYS more

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #12417 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Bah c'mon you can do better than that. Order dual Traix's.

Receiver - Denon 1713
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #12418 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First, lets dispel a myth. I don't know where this comes from, but it sure seems to get repeated a lot. Sealed subs don't necessarily produce "tighter" bass than ported subs. The truth is, equivalent quality ported and sealed subs will sound just as good on music. I think the misconception occurs because when one is considering a subwoofer for music only, sealed is the natural choice. Not because they are better, tighter, crisper, more detailed, or any other false adjective, but because the larger size of a ported sub which provides much higher output in the 16-30 Hz region for movies, is not needed for a music only sub. So it is not that sealed are better for music, its that ported have an unnecessary output advantage in a lower octave, at the cost of larger size and higher price.
bear: Is it really a myth? This thought pattern came from many professional reviewers, some as long as a decade ago or more. It came from reviewers who's number one concern is with music, and usually stereo and not home theater. Obviously, the music one plays will indeed matter. It's a lot different from having parties with music going, or music as a background than it is with critical listening. These reviewers critically listen to their music and give their thoughts on what a subwoofer gives, takes away or over enhances. It may indeed be minute to most people, but to them it is important. Music is extremely personal, unlike the LFE from movies. There is also a myth that music rarely if ever goes very deep. In most cases, that is correct, but even a piano is cable of 27 Hz. Pipe organs capable of 16 Hz, and Synthesizers even lower. Again, it depends upon one's catalog of music and what one wants a subwoofer to do for them.

That being said, subwoofers have changed over the years. Inexpensive ported subs gave a lot of bang for the buck. In today's era of high quality sealed and ported designs, the differences have diminished. However, if I can hear a distinct difference between high quality sealed subs (I've auditioned several, and three in my home), I suspect I could hear a difference between ported subs as well. That also indicates to me that I should be able to discern differences between ported and sealed designs. I'm not saying which I may prefer, or even how distinct the differences would be, but I have little doubt there would be differences.

Just my two cents.
Mike Butny, ahblaza and gbreda like this.

Last edited by dsrussell; 06-24-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #12419 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
There is also a myth that music rarely if ever goes very deep. In most cases, that is correct, but even a piano is cable of 27 Hz. Pipe organs capable of 16 Hz, and Synthesizers even lower. Again, it depends upon one's catalog of music and what one wants a subwoofer to do for them.
I hear that. Today's new music like Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, Flo Rida, Kanye West, Taio Cruz, Pitbull, and the like have some seriously low bass in some of their music.

Would it be true to say that an inexpensive driver would sound less boomy (tighter to our ears) in a sealed enclosure than a ported one with similar amps? I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but bass is a fickle beast.

With that being said, the new "SE" driver in my XV15s do sound much tighter. Much more musical than the older driver. Like Tom said, the new "SE" drivers were an experiment for the Triax and are of higher quality, thus most likely lending to a tighter more pronounced subwoofer.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...

Last edited by climber07; 06-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.
post #12420 of 12957 Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

^^ Hi climber. As you indicated, there are a lot of variables, not including driver quality. The room a subwoofer is in and how it is setup is a big variable. As is the speakers one is matching a subwoofer to, and how well it is matched. Speakers and subwoofers will indeed sound different in different environments. You've seen (heard) first-hand what a more sophisticated driver is capable of (not that the original driver wasn't capable). Your XV15's sound has changed and noticeably since you updated (as has others). Therefore, you could safely say there are audible difference that you could discern from one ported sub to another (even if it is the same sub with different drivers).

An inexpensive driver may indicate a design philosophy for a company. Not to say the product is poor, but it will sound different, especially if the driver taxed, which may lead to some unpleasantness. Would such a driver sound better in a sealed environment? I really couldn't say. It often depends upon the DSP, how it is set and how capable the DSP is.

I also agree that there is a lot more effort in some genres of music to include impressive bass. The type of engineering behind any CD, SACD or DVD-A is crucial in getting a wonderful experience. With movie LFE, the distortion can be higher without noticing it. For music, especially well-engineered music that one knows by rote, distortion matters and can easily be heard. And each subwoofer or speaker will handle different passages differently (slight differences and not so slight).
ahblaza likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page