post #12721 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
Hi Tom .. working on my set up have a really sore back .. so much to do .. my rack is almost 500lbs of amps.. setting the analog pre amp Xover
for the 2.2 is a slow process hard on the back lol.. the subs sound very clean tho.. working on it.. but seems a tad short on bass.. im up to
2.30 oclock on the sub gain .. rca to lfe.. max xover on sub.. phase im having trouble hearing a difference when I try to change..
main s high pass sub is low pass.. etc..

wanted to ask for a link or steps for manually setting up with spl meter?

subs and boxes where in excellent shape thanks for quick delivery ...

cheers
Sorry to hear about the back problems, Jim and I can both relate!

With a SPL meter, start with only one sub powered up. Set all speakers to about 75dB, sub to about 70-71dB. If your AVR does the distance for you leave the phase at 0. If it doesn't do the distance for you, experiment with the phase setting until you get max output on the SPL meter with some good "bassy" music. And by "bassy" please don't pop in something like "bass to kill your speakers". I mean *real* music. Country music actually works well because it tends to have repetitive bass lines that move up/down a little(in freq). In any case, this will work best with a friend that can SLOWLY rotate the phase control for you while you sit at the main seat and judge the music loudness/tightness. Where ever it is loudest, that is the correct phase setting. The first 30 seconds of "good times bad times" isn't a horrible choice either.

Now, turn the second sub on and set the gain to the same position as the first sub. With the subwoofer test tone playing through the system(which should be 40-80hz bandwidth limited) set the phase control on the second sub so the meter reads the loudest. This should have sub #2 in "phase" with sub #1 which is "in phase" with your mains..

The only think you need to do after this is adjust the gain control(s) to suit you bass level preferences.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
jarretc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Sorry to hear about the back problems, Jim and I can both relate!

With a SPL meter, start with only one sub powered up. Set all speakers to about 75dB, sub to about 70-71dB. If your AVR does the distance for you leave the phase at 0. If it doesn't do the distance for you, experiment with the phase setting until you get max output on the SPL meter with some good "bassy" music. And by "bassy" please don't pop in something like "bass to kill your speakers". I mean *real* music. Country music actually works well because it tends to have repetitive bass lines that move up/down a little(in freq). In any case, this will work best with a friend that can SLOWLY rotate the phase control for you while you sit at the main seat and judge the music loudness/tightness. Where ever it is loudest, that is the correct phase setting. The first 30 seconds of "good times bad times" isn't a horrible choice either.

Now, turn the second sub on and set the gain to the same position as the first sub. With the subwoofer test tone playing through the system(which should be 40-80hz bandwidth limited) set the phase control on the second sub so the meter reads the loudest. This should have sub #2 in "phase" with sub #1 which is "in phase" with your mains..

The only think you need to do after this is adjust the gain control(s) to suit you bass level preferences.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
thanks Tom.. will look at this a bit later think I will take day off due to back .. I knew setup will be a pain.. lol..

do you like 2.2 stereo subs best tom or do you like mono dual subs best for 2 channel?

I never had 2 subs before so .. I did like the stereo sound last night.. needs tuning..

is it a good sign that the sound was very even though out the whole room when moving around? (but didn't check evry sqft..) generally speaking..

im using buddy guy or stevie ray vaughon for testing ...

im using an analog pre amp the xsp 1 from emotive ... to set the mains at 75 db would be done with the master volume... when I find this level
I then adjust the subs to 75 db for this level on the master volume?

just measure from the main lp ? my meter is a pyle.. has fast and slow, a and c, and hi and low , where would u put the settings?

thanks Tom

Bob
post #12723 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Here is a snapshot taken from essentially the same sub location:
You can see the SE is much smoother & flatter from ~50hz and on up...I will plan on doing some more work with room placement and see if things improve some...pretty good so far though...
Attached Images
File Type: png XS30 & XS30 SE.png (683.9 KB, 71 views)

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #12724 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Original XS30 for sale.. $850
post #12725 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks Tom.. will look at this a bit later think I will take day off due to back .. I knew setup will be a pain.. lol..

do you like 2.2 stereo subs best tom or do you like mono dual subs best for 2 channel?

I never had 2 subs before so .. I did like the stereo sound last night.. needs tuning..

is it a good sign that the sound was very even though out the whole room when moving around? (but didn't check evry sqft..) generally speaking..

im using buddy guy or stevie ray vaughon for testing ...

im using an analog pre amp the xsp 1 from emotive ... to set the mains at 75 db would be done with the master volume... when I find this level
I then adjust the subs to 75 db for this level on the master volume?

just measure from the main lp ? my meter is a pyle.. has fast and slow, a and c, and hi and low , where would u put the settings?

thanks Tom

Bob
SPL meter = SLOW / C Weighting. Most of the inexpensive SPL meters all use the same mic element so the Pyle should be just as accurate as the RS. We're really not worried about absolutes anyway, just the output of the speakers/subs *relative* to each other.

I would keep it simple, dual mono.

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Stereo%20Bass.pdf

As far as the best way to calibrate things with the xsp-1 I would check with emotiva. I usually just get more confused when I DL one of their owner's manuals(using the term loosely)..

It is a good sign that the bass quality doesn't seem to change significantly as you move around room. Just take your time and don't feel like you need to get everything to 100% within 24 hours. Enjoy some music and a good film or two...let the dual XS15se subs stretch their legs a little.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12726 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
While I do believe those 215RT would be a major step up for music in a 2.0 stereo setup, I do not see the point jumping up from 212's when you have a pair of Triax's that I am sure handle everything from 120hz down beautifully. I do frequent the JTR thread a lot even tho I do not post much there and what I see frequently is the "gotta keep up with the jones" syndrome. That being said I do think those 215 RT's are amazing judging by the specs and reviews
Maybe you don't see the point, but I do, but thanks for your concern.
post #12727 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Maybe you don't see the point, but I do, but thanks for your concern.
When you run out of stuff to spend money on, feel free to send some my way.

Just kidding around Reef...Those 215's are going to be awesome I am sure.

Last edited by basshead81; 07-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.
post #12728 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I don't remember reading about this here....perhaps I just missed it...

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs/news/14746225-summer-of-bass-promotion

Edit....sorry about the non working link (you'll have to copy and paste it to your browser). Ever since the change to the new site the mobile site has been almost useless for me...key features I've used before now do not work with no fix in sight...

Last edited by Saturn94; 07-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #12729 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
When you run out of stuff to spend money on, feel free to send some my way.

Just kidding around Reef...Those 215's are going to be awesome I am sure.
you wanna laugh, my wife made me buy them. I was going to order them 2 weeks ago and then I changed my mind and decided to keep my 212 and I closed my classified. I showed her a picture on facebook and she told me to get them for our new theater. She loves this stuff as much as me.
post #12730 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quad Stacked XV15SEs

Thanks Climber for the simple answer even I can understand, really appreciate it. Do you guys think this is foolish stacking dual XV15SEs in each fron L&R corner rather than spreading them out evenly, the reason I ask is that I get so much room gain with the subs upfront in eack L&R corner and my room is rather long 30', with the duals the FR is so smooth compared to my single Triax, I can only imagine four XV15SEs upfront in each corner, it's going to look very intimidating and sound so as well. Hey Billy P, hope your trip was enjoyable, surgery went well but hurting pretty bad and just looking at the other two XV15SEs sitting there is driving me crazy, but the other two sure make up for it, room shaking indeed.
Cheers Jeff
climber07 likes this.

j_nordi
post #12731 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you wanna laugh, my wife made me buy them. I was going to order them 2 weeks ago and then I changed my mind and decided to keep my 212 and I closed my classified. I showed her a picture on facebook and she told me to get them for our new theater. She loves this stuff as much as me.
Nice!!
post #12732 of 13529 Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just got the second xv15se back up and running! These things are currently putting out monsterous clean bass in my 6000 cubic foot room. Just killing it
ahblaza and climber07 like this.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 07-08-2014 at 08:53 PM.
post #12733 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Thanks Climber for the simple answer even I can understand, really appreciate it. Do you guys think this is foolish stacking dual XV15SEs in each fron L&R corner rather than spreading them out evenly, the reason I ask is that I get so much room gain with the subs upfront in eack L&R corner and my room is rather long 30', with the duals the FR is so smooth compared to my single Triax, I can only imagine four XV15SEs upfront in each corner, it's going to look very intimidating and sound so as well. Hey Billy P, hope your trip was enjoyable, surgery went well but hurting pretty bad and just looking at the other two XV15SEs sitting there is driving me crazy, but the other two sure make up for it, room shaking indeed.
Cheers Jeff
I've got my 4 XS15s in 2 stacks of 2 up front in my living room. The FR is not as good as it was with them spread out around the room, and the seat to seat variance isn't quite as good, but it's the only way I could get the output I craved in my almost 5000 cu. ft. space.

If you've got the ability to measure your FR (and it sounds like you do), you got nothing to lose. Give it a shot both ways and see which works out for you.

If you're getting very smooth response with the 2 where they are and you're just gonna stack 2 more on top, I'd say you can expect the same smooth output, just more of it.
ahblaza, flydeep and climber07 like this.
post #12734 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've got my 4 XS15s in 2 stacks of 2 up front in my living room. The FR is not as good as it was with them spread out around the room, and the seat to seat variance isn't quite as good, but it's the only way I could get the output I craved in my almost 5000 cu. ft. space.

If you've got the ability to measure your FR (and it sounds like you do), you got nothing to lose. Give it a shot both ways and see which works out for you.

If you're getting very smooth response with the 2 where they are and you're just gonna stack 2 more on top, I'd say you can expect the same smooth output, just more of it.

Two more XV15se subs stacked in the opposite corner of my TV room is sounding pretty tempting...
ahblaza and lizrussspike like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #12735 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
SPL meter = SLOW / C Weighting. Most of the inexpensive SPL meters all use the same mic element so the Pyle should be just as accurate as the RS. We're really not worried about absolutes anyway, just the output of the speakers/subs *relative* to each other.

I would keep it simple, dual mono.

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Stereo%20Bass.pdf

As far as the best way to calibrate things with the xsp-1 I would check with emotiva. I usually just get more confused when I DL one of their owner's manuals(using the term loosely)..

It is a good sign that the bass quality doesn't seem to change significantly as you move around room. Just take your time and don't feel like you need to get everything to 100% within 24 hours. Enjoy some music and a good film or two...let the dual XS15se subs stretch their legs a little.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

thanks again Tom..

back is still making working on the subs tuff.. but I switched over from stereo subs out to the summed mono output to the l and r
got a bit of a bass boost.. sound just as good as stereo but more volume available! after a quick 10 mins..

maybe ive turned into a basshead junkie and need bigger more sub .. will continue tuning away.. as back allows

still need to work on phase .. crossover.. and gain level.. I did back it off too 1oclock area before the summed mono started..

thanks

Bob
post #12736 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As much as I love these XV15's they have to go. (original version)
I have a pair in the classified and a discount rate.
post #12737 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
You have a keeper for sure. Hold onto her.

Receiver - Denon 1713
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #12738 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks again Tom..

back is still making working on the subs tuff.. but I switched over from stereo subs out to the summed mono output to the l and r
got a bit of a bass boost.. sound just as good as stereo but more volume available! after a quick 10 mins..

maybe ive turned into a basshead junkie and need bigger more sub .. will continue tuning away.. as back allows

still need to work on phase .. crossover.. and gain level.. I did back it off too 1oclock area before the summed mono started..

thanks

Bob
It may just be getting the entire setup optimized. You would need the system to be playing music at pretty extreme volume levels so approach the output limits of dual XS15se in this room environment. I bet once we have a chance to dial everything in a little and let the XS15se stretch their legs for a few days...things fall into place quite well..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12739 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The Y adapter was a big help. Still a little light on the tactile response, but I figure that's cause the room is so dead, but its much more noticeable.
post #12740 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Alan, before I stack all four I'm going to spread them out fairly evenly (distance wise to the MLP) and check the FR. With the two up front in each L&R corner I have such a smooth response and the nulls are gone when I had only a single Triax. My room is about 2800cf so I should have no problem with filling that space with four XV15SEs either stacked in each front corner or spread out in my room, I will see (hear what sounds good to me), I think I can't go wrong which ever option I decide on. I just like the front stacking option as this would be much more convenient but I'm not after convenience
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12741 of 13529 Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I've posted much of it before so its not really a secret. Larger bookshelf style, dual 10" woofers, Compression tweeter. Extension down to about 65hz, high efficiency. Fairly easy load for amplifiers. These will be able to play loudly and cleanly without needing much amp power. Nothing magical. Just good quality components in a solid design at a fair price.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Dual 10's in a bookshelf speaker? that seems so massive, my towers only have dual 6.5" drivers....
post #12742 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It may just be getting the entire setup optimized. You would need the system to be playing music at pretty extreme volume levels so approach the output limits of dual XS15se in this room environment. I bet once we have a chance to dial everything in a little and let the XS15se stretch their legs for a few days...things fall into place quite well..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

hi Tom started to get pretty good bass last night for a blue ray movie.. couch was really vibrating good along with the wood floor.. nicely done..

still need to work on the tuning more..

how much more bass output would I get if I stack another pair of xs15se ontop of the ones I have.. ? guess its a bit more expensive than
a pair of xs30se.. and be about the same output? gaining about 6 db per stacked pair?

thanks again

Bob
post #12743 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hi Tom started to get pretty good bass last night for a blue ray movie.. couch was really vibrating good along with the wood floor.. nicely done..

still need to work on the tuning more..

how much more bass output would I get if I stack another pair of xs15se ontop of the ones I have.. ? guess its a bit more expensive than
a pair of xs30se.. and be about the same output? gaining about 6 db per stacked pair?

thanks again

Bob
Hi Bob, I may have under estimated you. Perhaps you are a real "bass head"..

Adding another pair will give you 6dB more headroom across the entire operating bandwidth. This would be 1.5 to 2dB more powerful than a pair of XS30se. Not a significant difference, but once you get to this kind of output the increases will be incremental.

At this point you would be near the equivalent of DUAL paradigm sub 2 units.($18,000!).

Is the HT performance fine but the music/2 channel performance seems lacking in some regard?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12744 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Cableguy,

On the XSP-1, start with the highpass AND lowpass dials around 120hz for now. Let the XS15se handle everything possible before any type of localization sets in.

Also, can your remind me which speakers you're using again---Paradigms?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12745 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Cableguy,

On the XSP-1, start with the highpass AND lowpass dials around 120hz for now. Let the XS15se handle everything possible before any type of localization sets in.

Also, can your remind me which speakers you're using again---Paradigms?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Good Day Tom... thanks for all your hard work and effort on these forums too!!!

I have a pair of studio 100s matched up with a pair of emotiva xpa 1 fully balanced mono blocks putting out 500w into 8 ohm 1000 into 4ohm .. lots of head room very clean sounding especially matched up with the fully balance xsp 1 analog pre amp...

the sound is pretty impressive all by its self for 2 channel..

been saving for a yr or so to get some subs.. i'm save 1st, buy later kind of guy ..

the 2 channel with the subs is pretty good now too Tom but just wanting more bass.. I fine it difficult to work on the phase
got the meter .. c , slow and low... ready ... have the gain down to about 1.3 oclock area now..

I really have no clue what the analog cross over is at at the xsp 1 its analog no buddy know..

just trail and error to get good sound.. im guessing around 90 80 or 100... still be playing with it and the phase..

back is really sore so its pain vs good sound lol

Bob
post #12746 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good Day Tom... thanks for all your hard work and effort on these forums too!!!

I have a pair of studio 100s matched up with a pair of emotiva xpa 1 fully balanced mono blocks putting out 500w into 8 ohm 1000 into 4ohm .. lots of head room very clean sounding especially matched up with the fully balance xsp 1 analog pre amp...

the sound is pretty impressive all by its self for 2 channel..

been saving for a yr or so to get some subs.. i'm save 1st, buy later kind of guy ..

the 2 channel with the subs is pretty good now too Tom but just wanting more bass.. I fine it difficult to work on the phase
got the meter .. c , slow and low... ready ... have the gain down to about 1.3 oclock area now..

I really have no clue what the analog cross over is at at the xsp 1 its analog no buddy know..

just trail and error to get good sound.. im guessing around 90 80 or 100... still be playing with it and the phase..

back is really sore so its pain vs good sound lol

Bob
Hi Bob, Please see page 10

https://emotiva.com/resources/manual...ser_manual.pdf

You need to manually adjust those little dials on the back panel(and make sure the toggle switches are set correctly).

The Studio 100s are really good speakers but they aren't going to have the headroom the XS15se does <100hz. I know it may seem counter intuitive to set the 100s for a 100-120hz highpass but give it a shot....at least 100hz. And leave it that way for a couple days while we trouble shoot the phase / distance /etc..

Found a better picture for you

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp...iew_fullscreen

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 07-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.
post #12747 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Finally getting a chance to enjoy my XS30se. I put in World War Z for my brother and played the grenade scene when they are in Jerusalem. He said "holy ****! that was like an earthquake!". The pulse that hits you in the chest is something I've been wanting in a sub for sometime. Well worth the wait. Couldn't imagine what two or more of these beasts would sound like.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #12748 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM

It's amazing how many people buy a PSA sub and like clockwork wonder what two or three might sound like. I'm extremely guilty of that fact, I just do it and then think what did I just do, I can't help myself. Once I get the speakers I may be in divorce court of have to hire a contractor
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12749 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
With 3 xs30se's my wife runs down the stairs to check whether something broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post
Finally getting a chance to enjoy my XS30se. I put in World War Z for my brother and played the grenade scene when they are in Jerusalem. He said "holy ****! that was like an earthquake!". The pulse that hits you in the chest is something I've been wanting in a sub for sometime. Well worth the wait. Couldn't imagine what two or more of these beasts would sound like.
FattyMcButterPants likes this.

Fronts: KEF Q900's, KEF 600c, Rear: Mirage OMD-15's, SW: PSA triple XS30se+miniDSP
AVR: Denon 3313CI, Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Sources: HTPC (Jriver Media Center), Logitech Squeezebox Touch, PS3, Xbox 360,
TV: Sony KDL-55W900A
Unraid Server with 30TB+
post #12750 of 13529 Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
It's amazing how many people buy a PSA sub and like clockwork wonder what two or three might sound like. I'm extremely guilty of that fact, I just do it and then think what did I just do, I can't help myself. Once I get the speakers I may be in divorce court of have to hire a contractor
Cheers Jeff
I mainly have multiples for smoothing and to finish the look being mine are used as end tables. far as output goes, 2 was more then enough. Very seldom do I go north of 120db, but having lots of clean headroom on tap is a good thing and eases the load on equipment.
ahblaza and NWCgrad like this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page