post #12991 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yes you should. Dual Opposed. I am Tri opposed.
All I was thinking of was vendors/brands..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12992 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did some tweaking this afternoon...

So I think I have this issue resolved. Placement wasn't a problem. I think it was simply the volume I was listening to them at.

Audyssey had me level match them with the gain on the XS to around the 12 o clock position. Afterward I re-matched them with the gain just past 1 o clock. Today I re-matched them again with the gain at 2 o clock. Holy smokes... big difference.

It looks like Audyssey had them level match at 75db, I ended up setting them at 85db, plus running them 5db hot through the AVR level adjustment. I'm either a huge bass head or Audyssey was taming them to much for my lower listening levels. All in all I am running 15db hotter than Audyssey wanted. But I love it!

When Sauron falls in the Fellowship of the Ring.... The XS is astounding! With the levels up now, it shows how much deeper it can go than the Klipsch. REALLY impressed.

I've still only had the unit a few days, so I'm not saying I won't still end up going up to the XV, but I'm WAY happier now.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I as L/R::::Canton GLE 402s as R/RS
PSA XS15se:::::Klipsch Synergy Sub-12
post #12993 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 261
There isn't much doubt that the XS15se is a tremendously capable sealed sub. I think you're set ... until you get that "what if" bug
post #12994 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
Did some tweaking this afternoon...

So I think I have this issue resolved. Placement wasn't a problem. I think it was simply the volume I was listening to them at.

Audyssey had me level match them with the gain on the XS to around the 12 o clock position. Afterward I re-matched them with the gain just past 1 o clock. Today I re-matched them again with the gain at 2 o clock. Holy smokes... big difference.

It looks like Audyssey had them level match at 75db, I ended up setting them at 85db, plus running them 5db hot through the AVR level adjustment. I'm either a huge bass head or Audyssey was taming them to much for my lower listening levels. All in all I am running 15db hotter than Audyssey wanted. But I love it!

When Sauron falls in the Fellowship of the Ring.... The XS is astounding! With the levels up now, it shows how much deeper it can go than the Klipsch. REALLY impressed.

I've still only had the unit a few days, so I'm not saying I won't still end up going up to the XV, but I'm WAY happier now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
There isn't much doubt that the XS15se is a tremendously capable sealed sub. I think you're set ... until you get that "what if" bug
Ahhhh the "what if" bug... As in, what if I stack a couple xs15's? Make that xv15's.... Make that xv30's.... Make that Triax's.... In all four corners of the room.... Plus flanking the couch... Maybe just two more for foot rests....
post #12995 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

one thing that has become clear to me... when using audyssey's level matching; a 10db adjustment on the gain does not equal a 10db adjustment on the AVR sub leveling. At least on my x4000. I'll post all my final settings once I finish tinkering and listening to different content.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I as L/R::::Canton GLE 402s as R/RS
post #12996 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
one thing that has become clear to me... when using audyssey's level matching; a 10db adjustment on the gain does not equal a 10db adjustment on the AVR sub leveling. At least on my x4000. I'll post all my final settings once I finish tinkering and listening to different content.
Not sure if you have done this, but after reading some suggestions by Tom on the XS30, I went with a Y splitter to both inputs. It resulted in a big difference on my first edition XS30 for movies. Much more tactile response and pressurization that I was looking for.

Now the ongoing debate on upgrading the beast to an XS30se.....I really need to stop reading this thread

How do you like the Denon 4000 as a preamp? I have been eying that for my system as well.

Onkyo SC 886
B K 200.5
Klipsh Forte Mains
Klipsh Center
ADS Surrounds
XS30
post #12997 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

I do have a splitter running to both inputs.
I love the x4000. One of my best A/V purchases.

Now I wonder if a 2nd XS15SE would be capable of pressuring my room?

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
post #12998 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Wouldn't hurt, I often wonder if 2 15se would have been a better option for me, actually I know it would have been. But I am not unhappy with 1 sealed unit at all. I went from a small 10" ported to this and I am not disappointed.

Onkyo SC 886
B K 200.5
Klipsh Forte Mains
Klipsh Center
ADS Surrounds
XS30
post #12999 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Not sure if you have done this, but after reading some suggestions by Tom on the XS30, I went with a Y splitter to both inputs. It resulted in a big difference on my first edition XS30 for movies. Much more tactile response and pressurization that I was looking for.

Now the ongoing debate on upgrading the beast to an XS30se.....I really need to stop reading this thread

How do you like the Denon 4000 as a preamp? I have been eying that for my system as well.
The Ysplitter going to both inputs simply raises the input level 3db. You could of achieved the same result by turning up the amp gain. The only benifit of using both inputs is if you have issue with the sub's auto on feature at lower volumes.
post #13000 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Hmmm, sorry if I mis-spoke but thought I had read of this suggestion.

Onkyo SC 886
B K 200.5
Klipsh Forte Mains
Klipsh Center
ADS Surrounds
XS30
post #13001 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The Ysplitter going to both inputs simply raises the input level 3db. You could of achieved the same result by turning up the amp gain. The only benifit of using both inputs is if you have issue with the sub's auto on feature at lower volumes.

That's what I thought as well, is this considered stereo using both inputs on the sub's amp? I have found out that on all X model subs the gain for me that is, needs to be at 2:00 or higher, you can always lower the AVR's trim levels. I've read so many people saying what a diffrence turning up the sub gain a bit, works for me. You guys are killing me with all this sealed sub stuff, I remember my Cordovan Triax was a beast, I get that what if I saved up and bought that second Triax. Four XV15SEs helps to lessen the remorse, but what a sub that Triax is I now have some money saved for the new speakers so that kind of also lightens the seller remorse of the Triax, it went to a good home, to somebody who really needed it
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13002 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
No it is not stereo if you are using the sub out from the AVR...there is no way to get stereo from a mono signal. Now if you are coming from a L/R set of pre outs then yes you could get stereo to the sub.

Wha is killing you about all this sealed stuff?
post #13003 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The movie 9 and a XS30se = happiness

post #13004 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Tom suggested to me to put on a y splitter on my subs ( xs15se) and I got about 13 db more output from each sub!!!!!

major score with a y splitter..

cheers
post #13005 of 13008 Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
No it is not stereo if you are using the sub out from the AVR...there is no way to get stereo from a mono signal. Now if you are coming from a L/R set of pre outs then yes you could get stereo to the sub.

Wha is killing you about all this sealed stuff?

I have my subs set up for stereo 2 channel play back right now and it sounds very good but I have a hard time hearing the differences over the mono set up... back and forth a few times now hard too say what I like best..

cheers
post #13006 of 13008 Old Today, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
Tom suggested to me to put on a y splitter on my subs ( xs15se) and I got about 13 db more output from each sub!!!!!

major score with a y splitter..

cheers
How? Do you have proof?
post #13007 of 13008 Old Today, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I XV's should be here today. I threw my back out yesterday (for the second time in 3 weeks). Looks like I won't be getting them setup for a while. torturous I tellsya.
post #13008 of 13008 Old Today, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For those of you who have done it, what's the typical turnaround time for the SE upgrade? I've been thinking of doing the upgrade for my XV15 but I've had a busy summer so far so I haven't gotten around to it. I was going to place my order today but I wanted an idea of how long I'd be without my sub!

Thanks!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page