Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 435 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13021 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Did you re-run Audyssey after boosting the subs gain? If not, you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13022 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Correct. If you have the XS15se a second would be $699. Which, with my obvious bias included, is a *heck* of a deal..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
So the dual sub discount is typically right around 5% or so correct? What does PSA do for these people that start buying more than 2? Is it still the 5%?
post #13023 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Yep, every little tweak and change made to your sub requires re-running Audyssey I wish it weren't true but it is. Does anybody else find running Audyssey tedious? I know its a great tool and all but to be honest I really hate doing it for some reason. Probably because with three kids in the house it's really hard to keep the house quiet long enough to run through eight times.
post #13024 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
So the dual sub discount is typically right around 5% or so correct? What does PSA do for these people that start buying more than 2? Is it still the 5%?
Usually it is 5%-10%. Depends a bit on several variables.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #13025 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
That's about right, just depends on where folks live. We start by sending out a box for your amp. Then once we get that back, we reprogram it and send it back to you with the new SE 15" driver. So if you are say 2 days away.....figure 6 business days.

Here is a fedex ground map showing the transit times from our skunk works. Purple = 1 day, Blue = 2, Orange =3, Green = 4

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Cool. Thanks!
post #13026 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Not sure if you have done this, but after reading some suggestions by Tom on the XS30, I went with a Y splitter to both inputs. It resulted in a big difference on my first edition XS30 for movies. Much more tactile response and pressurization that I was looking for.

Now the ongoing debate on upgrading the beast to an XS30se.....I really need to stop reading this thread

How do you like the Denon 4000 as a preamp? I have been eying that for my system as well.
Tom, do you recommend trying this? And if so why? I would love to be able to get more out of my XS30, as it sounds good but doesn't pressurize my small room like I thought it would. I have it corner loaded also.
post #13027 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The Ysplitter going to both inputs simply raises the input level 3db. You could of achieved the same result by turning up the amp gain. The only benifit of using both inputs is if you have issue with the sub's auto on feature at lower volumes.
Guess I should have read further down the thread...

My auto-on feature has never turned on/off... it just always stay's on... any idea? Would be nice if it worked.
post #13028 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post
Tom, do you recommend trying this? And if so why? I would love to be able to get more out of my XS30, as it sounds good but doesn't pressurize my small room like I thought it would. I have it corner loaded also.
Using both inputs does not increase headroom (max output), it simply raises the output level 3db. It is the same thing as turning the sub amp gain up a notch or two, but it still does not give you more overall output. As I previously mentioned using both inputs with a Y adapter is good for those AVR's that have low output voltage. This will increase the input side sensitivity on the sub amp and the auto on function should work better for those that have issues. Another reason to use a Y would be if you have to turn the sub amp gain past 3:00 to get desireable bass output.

The majority of folks issue is auto calibration in the AVR tends to set the bass 3-6db lower then most like. I would set the amp gain
on your XS30 to 2:00, rerun calibration, the sub trim level in the AVR will probably be around -6db. Now manually increase the sub trim level up to around -2 then report back.
post #13029 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1334
Quote:
Guess I should have read further down the thread...

My auto-on feature has never turned on/off... it just always stay's on... any idea? Would be nice if it worked.
Where is the gain set on the sub amp and where is the sub trim level set in the AVR? Also is the power switch is set in the middle?
post #13030 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I've tried this a hundred different ways. If I set the sub levels to match at 85db then Audyssey backs the trim all the way to -12. If I match them at 75db, then set the gain levels on the amps to the 85db after it runs, I'm happy with Audyssey's correction (which is -8.5db) I believe. I don't care if it's right or not, its the only way I like the sound.

If I match at 75db and bump the AVR sub levels up by 10db, it still doesn't sound as good as the 85db on the sub gains. Not sure why there is not parity between those two 10db adjustments, but there isn't, it just is not the same. I think the subs being so near-field messes with Audyssey calibration. At 75db sub level matching, it has the gain on the two subs to damn near off.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I as L/R::::Canton GLE 402s as R/RS
PSA XS15se:::::Klipsch Synergy Sub-12
post #13031 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
I've tried this a hundred different ways. If I set the sub levels to match at 85db then Audyssey backs the trim all the way to -12. If I match them at 75db, then set the gain levels on the amps to the 85db after it runs, I'm happy with Audyssey's correction (which is -8.5db) I believe. I don't care if it's right or not, its the only way I like the sound.

If I match at 75db and bump the AVR sub levels up by 10db, it still doesn't sound as good as the 85db on the sub gains. Not sure why there is not parity between those two 10db adjustments, but there isn't, it just is not the same. I think the subs being so near-field messes with Audyssey calibration. At 75db sub level matching, it has the gain on the two subs to damn near off.
If you change the amp gain after Audyssey, you must rerun. Set the subs to 85dB when Audyssey runs, after the setup is complete n bump the subs up 10dB from -12 to -2dB. Otherwise, the filter corrections that Audysseyapplies will be wrong and the subs will not blend with the other speakers.
post #13032 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Where is the gain set on the sub amp and where is the sub trim level set in the AVR? Also is the power switch is set in the middle?
The gain is probably around 1:30-2:00. I'm unsure of the sub trim level is in the AVR, I will check when I get home and report back! I would love it if you could help me dial this in. I am an SPL meter but am a noob and have not had time to sit down and learn how to properly calibrate this sub using the sweep tones in REW. (I do not have the monitoring mic)

And yes it was, I figured I would just turn in to ON as it never turned on/off anyways.
post #13033 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
If you change the amp gain after Audyssey, you must rerun. Set the subs to 85dB when Audyssey runs, after the setup is complete n bump the subs up 10dB from -12 to -2dB. Otherwise, the filter corrections that Audysseyapplies will be wrong and the subs will not blend with the other speakers.
like I said, if I bump the AVR sub level 10db (-12db to -2db) it does NOT have the same effect as bumping the gain from 75db to 85db during SW level matching. It should, but it doesn't.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I as L/R::::Canton GLE 402s as R/RS
post #13034 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Using both inputs does not increase headroom (max output), it simply raises the output level 3db. It is the same thing as turning the sub amp gain up a notch or two, but it still does not give you more overall output. As I previously mentioned using both inputs with a Y adapter is good for those AVR's that have low output voltage. This will increase the input side sensitivity on the sub amp and the auto on function should work better for those that have issues. Another reason to use a Y would be if you have to turn the sub amp gain past 3:00 to get desireable bass output.

The majority of folks issue is auto calibration in the AVR tends to set the bass 3-6db lower then most like. I would set the amp gain
on your XS30 to 2:00, rerun calibration, the sub trim level in the AVR will probably be around -6db. Now manually increase the sub trim level up to around -2 then report back.

Using both inputs will double voltage input and = a 6dB increase in the output levels. This assumes, of course, you aren't hitting any limits. Anyone wanting to experiment with the Y cables....you really can't do any harm unless you clip the input stage(hard to do).

Just get the ones for a few bucks though...no need to spend $20-40 on these..

Basshead pretty much nails it in his post overall. The higher you have the gain knob set on our subs the more likely you may notice audible benefits by using a Y cable. Just be sure to recalibrate after adding the Y. Otherwise you may simply mistake "louder" bass for "better" bass.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #13035 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It can't hurt to try. Just don't spend $$$ on some fancy split. Three or four bucks is fine. Also, as long as you aren't bumping into any ceiling in the signal chain/output capabilities of the sub you'll see a 6dB increase in output levels. Be sure you recalibrate after adding the Y or you'll just think it is more powerful because it is so much louder..

Tom V.
Power
post #13036 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Liked: 16
I received my dual xv15se subs today, and did a very basic setup on them. Wow, what a difference right off the bat! I'll post more later, but after dinking around with my receiver settings, I was finally getting some good results. Immediately the subs blended well into our mains, which was nice. The only "problem" is that our family room is the only room of the house that isn't on a slab foundation, as it sits over the garage, and now the entire floor shakes like crazy! I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it was pretty jarring at first.
climber07 and Hopinater like this.

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

post #13037 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
like I said, if I bump the AVR sub level 10db (-12db to -2db) it does NOT have the same effect as bumping the gain from 75db to 85db during SW level matching. It should, but it doesn't.
Are you certain that your sub is set at 75db after Audyssey? I ask because -12 is the lower limit....it could be -12 or it could be -100 (exaggerating), you don't know. You need to re-run Audyssey (first mic position only) until you get the trim in an acceptable range (i.e. -11.5 to -8) before you can make any other adjustments and be confident in your calibration.

Once you get the sub calibrated "in range", only then can you run the full Audyssey calibration.
post #13038 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminKing View Post
I received my dual xv15se subs today, and did a very basic setup on them. Wow, what a difference right off the bat! I'll post more later, but after dinking around with my receiver settings, I was finally getting some good results. Immediately the subs blended well into our mains, which was nice. The only "problem" is that our family room is the only room of the house that isn't on a slab foundation, as it sits over the garage, and now the entire floor shakes like crazy! I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it was pretty jarring at first.
That ain't no "problem"....I wish I had that problem (I live on a slab). Enjoy!
post #13039 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Are you certain that your sub is set at 75db after Audyssey? I ask because -12 is the lower limit....it could be -12 or it could be -100 (exaggerating), you don't know. You need to re-run Audyssey (first mic position only) until you get the trim in an acceptable range (i.e. -11.5 to -8) before you can make any other adjustments and be confident in your calibration.

Once you get the sub calibrated "in range", only then can you run the full Audyssey calibration.

I understand what you are saying and I understand the Audyssey calibration. I'm just saying I found a way to get it to sound the way I want it to, regardless of whether or not it is correct in they eyes of Audyssey. Prior to getting the gain on the amp set higher, I was disappointed in my purchase and now I'm not. Win for me.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
post #13040 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
That is strange.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #13041 of 13042 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminKing View Post
Congratulations on the addition of your new twins. The XV15se is a great sub, I'm sure you will find that they are a great addition to your set up.
derrickdj1 likes this.
post #13042 of 13042 Old Today, 02:58 AM

Liked: 22
Have a question, I have a co-worker that got two Polk 660's. I tried to talk him into some PSA, but he gets a great best buy discount. My question is that he said he did not like how the Denon 4520 set his subs to -9, so after Audyessey, he bumped his subs up to +1. I thought that a bit extreme. Is there potential for some damage by doing that? I guess I am trying to understand why running them +10 would be such a great idea.
Thanks for helping out.
Russ

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS20,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console

Last edited by lizrussspike; Today at 02:58 AM. Reason: left out not
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page