post #13081 of 13105 Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
SOP is 1 = full price, 2 = dual discount pricing, 3 = 5% returning customer discount.

So if someone buys three XV15se, 1 = $899, 2 = $799(which mean # 1=2 = $1698 aka "dual discount pricing"), 3 = $854.

If we can dig a little deeper in certain circumstances we do. The discount on your third unit was much more than $44 btw. (check your emails from july 2013).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Well it was more then 44.00 compared to the price increase but I snuck the third in under the old pricing. Anyhow I am very happy with what I paid and am not bitching in the slightest. I actually posted that in jest to let new customers know what a great deal they are getting...hince the emoticons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13082 of 13105 Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
You couldn't be more spot on with that statement, it never ends, I don't need four XV15SEs but I have them, now I'm thinking since I already had a triax, dual XS30s dual XV15s what can I get now. It's totally rediculous seriously. I essentially have dual XV30FSEs on steroids as all four 15SEs are stacked in each L&R front corners. I dialed them in manually with an SPL meter and they sound great. I'm not a big fan of Audyssey XT which I have and I'm intimidated with REW. What do I do to get the best out of what I have, the four subs have been every where in my room and sound best like they are now buy I don't officially know that. Thinking about going back to two subs (which is really all I need) in my 2600cf room. Forgive my arrogance, complaining about having four identical subwoofers. I'm just at a point that I don't think I will ever be content, maybe after I get the new PSA speakers, who knows. Anybody want to buy four XV15SEs, then what do I do? Help me I think I'm going madddddddd
Haha I am glad there is someone more insane than me around here! I am seriously considering picking up two more xv15se's when I order my PSA speakers as well. Not sure what I stand to gain since I don't max out the duals I have now, but I expect it to be nothing less than legen*wait-for-it* DARY!!
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 07-30-2014 at 08:55 PM.
post #13083 of 13105 Old 07-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
You couldn't be more spot on with that statement, it never ends, I don't need four XV15SEs but I have them, now I'm thinking since I already had a triax, dual XS30s dual XV15s what can I get now. It's totally rediculous seriously. I essentially have dual XV30FSEs on steroids as all four 15SEs are stacked in each L&R front corners. I dialed them in manually with an SPL meter and they sound great. I'm not a big fan of Audyssey XT which I have and I'm intimidated with REW. What do I do to get the best out of what I have, the four subs have been every where in my room and sound best like they are now buy I don't officially know that. Thinking about going back to two subs (which is really all I need) in my 2600cf room. Forgive my arrogance, complaining about having four identical subwoofers. I'm just at a point that I don't think I will ever be content, maybe after I get the new PSA speakers, who knows. Anybody want to buy four XV15SEs, then what do I do? Help me I think I'm going madddddddd
Fortunately, I've been immune and have been able to keep my sanity . I purchased just one … I repeat … ONE … yeah, you heard me right … Uno XS30, and for movies I am completely satisfied. When Tom and Jim introduced the "se" update I was curious, but not enough to bite on the update. Then BillyP indicated that the XS30se was just as capable as the SB13-Ultra for music. That made me think far more seriously about it. You see, BillyP and I both tested the SB13-Ultra and the original XS30 with a particular track of music and were in full agreement that the SB13 was noticeably superior. Now that I know the "se" update had made this sub just as capable as the Ultra for music, it was difficult for me not to try it out. But my conservative side won the battle, especially since the XS30 is only being used for movies and not for music. Now Tom and Jim just upped the ante with extending their free shipping back promotion for the XS30se. Now it is seriously getting difficult not to at least test it out. Hey, Tom, give me a break! Then I relax when I start thinking about all of the work involved ….
Billy p and ahblaza like this.
post #13084 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I guess it's a good thing I live all the way up here....otherwise I'd be bouncing off the walls toying with the idea of adding more subs with this promo. I have a forum member visiting some family here locally and he contacted me about coming over...I've known him for many years on another forum and he'll be stopping in this evening around 5:30ish.

He seldom visits here(avs) but I know he practically runs the other forum and he has fun doing so...lol. I hope when he arrives back home safely this weekend...he'll take the time and share his thoughts on both my speakers/ sub. He certainly has gained my respect after reading many of his posts over the years and some of the people he has met & across in the business.
ahblaza likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #13085 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
How about the UMM-6? it seems the others out of stock at the moment.
The only difference between the calibrated UMIK and the calibrated UMM-6 is with the UMM-6 you have to perform the SPL calibration routine every time you fire up REW, with the UMIK you do not.

I use the UMM-6 and have no issues.
post #13086 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
It's been a long 2 days of mulling things over ( I was down to the SB13 ultra and Rythmik F15HP) but happy to say my XV15se has been ordered ( thanks Tom for your insight I have my work cut out for me as I'll be attempting to smooth out things as max spl is not the objective, I still have my KK DXD12012 in the front corner of my room and I'm about to order a mic for REW, I'm currently using a Marantz 8801 for my front end and the room is treated as well and has a great balance as is but dual subs have always been the goal. I'm hoping the reports you guys have been giving on the SQ of the XV15se are indeed true and must admit I'm excited about the prospects. Any tips are greatly appreciated !

whelp down the hatch
I assume that you plan on trying to keep using the KK along with the PSA, correct? Good thing you're willing to learn REW...you're gonna need it.

Here is my standard procedure for 2 identical subs. The only difference with your mis-matched subs would be that you have to get them both to output the same SPL (will probably have differing gain settings).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point. Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing pink noise, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Bump up the sub trim from 3db to 6db to your preference
14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
audiofan1 likes this.
post #13087 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tell me about it...thinking of getting 2 more XS15s here...for a total of 6.

You ask, "What do I do to get the best out of what I have?"...unfortunately, the answer to this is "Learn to use REW".
ahblaza likes this.
post #13088 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
The only difference between the calibrated UMIK and the calibrated UMM-6 is with the UMM-6 you have to perform the SPL calibration routine every time you fire up REW, with the UMIK you do not.

I use the UMM-6 and have no issues.
One thing I have noticed is the folks with the UMIK-1 seem to have trouble doing max spl sweeps with REW, where as I have not heard any issues with this from UMM-6 owners. I know I can calibrate for up to a 140db sweep with my UMM-6
audiofan1 likes this.
post #13089 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Listen to Tom indeed. Once you buy two you will wonder what four sounds like (this is my current struggle). The after that you'll wonder about xv30's or the Triax - it never ends.
so maybe I shouldn't go for dual XV15s cuz then I'd still want more?
ahblaza likes this.
post #13090 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
I assume that you plan on trying to keep using the KK along with the PSA, correct? Good thing you're willing to learn REW...you're gonna need it.

Here is my standard procedure for 2 identical subs. The only difference with your mis-matched subs would be that you have to get them both to output the same SPL (will probably have differing gain settings).

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point. Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

7. Playing pink noise, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately placement options are a bit limited for now, I plan to put it behind my left main speaker as my already other sub resides behind the right ( sweet spot) I'm hoping down the road to drop in a second dedicated line to the rear of the room as the existing circuit runs to much already and has a hair trigger! but I do have a long enough extension cord and extra sub cable around just to try it out for curiosity's sake.
post #13091 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
so maybe I shouldn't go for dual XV15s cuz then I'd still want more?
It depends on what is important to you I guess. I am mostly just commenting on the fact that it's a slippery slope, and can really get out of control quickly. It is easy to get stuck in the upgrade loop, and if you don't want to go broke you have to pick a stopping point...

I will say that I have two xv15se's in my 6000cu ft room, and it's noticeably better than a single unit (more effortless, fills the room better, and more even response). For a space this large it made a huge difference, as most would expect. I still would love to buy additional units or get a Triax just for fun, but I've definitely reached the point of diminishing returns.

So I guess in summary, I would only upgrade if you are unsatisfied in some way. If you start upgrading just to see what it's like, well, that gets out hand quickly (just ask some of the other guys around here )
ahblaza and dsrussell like this.
post #13092 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Oh Tom, using our previous conversations about an xs30se in my <1000 cu ft room to toy with my emotional weakness here. Now there is no risk in trying.... Must..... Resist....
post #13093 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
I guess it's a good thing I live all the way up here....otherwise I'd be bouncing off the walls toying with the idea of adding more subs with this promo.
Indeed! As FMP indicated, it can be a slippery slope. Bill, I think your friend will let you know right away what he thinks. Just look at how big his grin becomes! I cannot fathom he wouldn't be impressed. Let us know his thoughts.
FattyMcButterPants likes this.
post #13094 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

Alan, can you describe this same procedure with my four identical stacked in each front L&R corners. I don't have to do the sub crawl just what you said above except figuring in two additional subs. Actually being stacked I'm treating them as a single sub, so any help short of using REW would be very helpful. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13095 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alan, can you describe this same procedure with my four identical stacked in each front L&R corners. I don't have to do the sub crawl just what you said above except figuring in two additional subs. Actually being stacked I'm treating them as a single sub, so any help short of using REW would be very helpful. TIA
Cheers Jeff
Well, since your subs are stacked (you basically have dual subs, not quads - same as me ) and you've determined that is the best placement (don't need to sub crawl), all subs are up front so you *probably don't need to mess with phase...as long as you've got your sub trims in the correct range, there really is nothing more to do except move on to REW.

One thing maybe - how did you set the gain on your 4 subs? Did you gain match them before stacking? If not, this might help you out a bit. If you level matched them at the MLP, their output is probably slightly different. Not a big deal, but if you want to eeek out as much performance as possible.....

*My situation is probably very rare, but I have to reverse the phase on the 2 top subs in my stacks to get max SPL at the MLP. Those 2 subs must be wired out of phase internally, I haven't opened them up yet to fix it. Might be worth a try to reverse the phase on 1 in each stack and see if your SPL increases....you've got an SPL meter, right?
post #13096 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Oh Tom, using our previous conversations about an xs30se in my <1000 cu ft room to toy with my emotional weakness here. Now there is no risk in trying.... Must..... Resist....

I think you have one XV15se now? The XV30Fse would work better..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #13097 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I think you have one XV15se now? The XV30Fse would work better..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom, what are your thoughts of two XV30FSEs up front instead of four stacked XV15SEs (two in each L&R front corners)? Seriously? Seems that's what I'm trying to achieve since the 30FSE is the only sub that has not been in my home. I'm serious with this request, the only thing is that I have four drivers with the V15SEs and more amp power per driver than the dual XV30FSEs, look forward to your reply.

j_nordi

Last edited by ahblaza; Yesterday at 07:26 PM.
post #13098 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Well, since your subs are stacked (you basically have dual subs, not quads - same as me ) and you've determined that is the best placement (don't need to sub crawl), all subs are up front so you *probably don't need to mess with phase...as long as you've got your sub trims in the correct range, there really is nothing more to do except move on to REW.

One thing maybe - how did you set the gain on your 4 subs? Did you gain match them before stacking? If not, this might help you out a bit. If you level matched them at the MLP, their output is probably slightly different. Not a big deal, but if you want to eeek out as much performance as possible.....

*My situation is probably very rare, but I have to reverse the phase on the 2 top subs in my stacks to get max SPL at the MLP. Those 2 subs must be wired out of phase internally, I haven't opened them up yet to fix it. Might be worth a try to reverse the phase on 1 in each stack and see if your SPL increases....you've got an SPL meter, right?
I did not gain match them before stacking, I gain matched at the MLP but did not run the one spot Audy mic as you suggested to determine AVR rim level, matter of fact I did not run Audyssey at all, I have XT only, I guess I should try your method for two subs with one spot mic position and then try to achieve that -5 to -8 trim level and then run full Audy calibration, correct. I've also tried reversing phase of one in each stack and no difference on the SPL meter, all subs are at 0 phase. TIA.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13099 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tom, what are your thoughts of two XV30FSEs up front instead of four stacked XV15SEs (two in each L&R front corners)? Seriously? Seems that's what I'm trying to achieve since the 30FSE is the only sub that has not been in my home. I'm serious with this request, the only thing is that I have four drivers with the V15SEs and more amp power per driver than the dual XV30FSEs, look forward to your reply.
Have you even fired up REW to figure the best placement for the quad XV15's? Quad XV15se have more output then dual XV30's by about 3db.
post #13100 of 13105 Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Have you even fired up REW to figure the best placement for the quad XV15's? Quad XV15se have more output then dual XV30's by about 3db.
No I have not, I haven't even downloaded it yet, I have been in a slump and don't feel like doing anything. My four subs probably have less then 20 hours of use on them, seriously, maybe less. Right now I feel like selling everything and starting all over again.

j_nordi
post #13101 of 13105 Old Today, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
One thing I have noticed is the folks with the UMIK-1 seem to have trouble doing max spl sweeps with REW, where as I have not heard any issues with this from UMM-6 owners. I know I can calibrate for up to a 140db sweep with my UMM-6

I ended up buying a second UMIK-1 mic from Cross Spectrum and it works perfect, the problem now is that I'm afraid to do a max SPL sweep with my current subs....lol

I can't even get close to -10 without my house feeling like its going to fall apart now....lol

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #13102 of 13105 Old Today, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Indeed! As FMP indicated, it can be a slippery slope. Bill, I think your friend will let you know right away what he thinks. Just look at how big his grin becomes! I cannot fathom he wouldn't be impressed. Let us know his thoughts.

The visit was a lot of fun...we talked about several of the characters/ or members from over the years. His visit was more specifically focused towards auditioning the Ascend Towers...since he owns the Salk ST....but he came away really impressed with the XS30....he now knows what you get with a 1500.00 sub.... He does own a couple of DIY subs but lives in a condo so he never really cranks it up.

Needless to say...he told me I had nice spot for a second XS30 right beside the sofa and love seat.....

Now...the gears in my head are really spinning....I knew his visit would cost me down the road...lol.

Ps: Btw...it was Alex from Audioholics...the is known as the resident monkey around there and for good reason...he has a lot of fun but he is one serious audio dude.

I am so glad to have finally met him. And Jeffery one day I hope to finally meet you Ray, TV or anybody else?

I would recommend...if given the opportunity that you guys should get out meet some of the guys you talk to or hang out with everyday. You'll find that most of them share the same common interests and it all starts with these crazy forums.

Re,
Bill
basshead81 likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}

Last edited by Billy p; Today at 06:09 AM.
post #13103 of 13105 Old Today, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I ended up buying a second UMIK-1 mic from Cross Spectrum and it works perfect, the problem now is that I'm afraid to do a max SPL sweep with my current subs....lol

I can't even get close to -10 without my house feeling like its going to fall apart now....lol
My room feels the same way....me not afraid.
post #13104 of 13105 Old Today, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Hi Blaza,

Dual XV15se(stacked) will outgun a single XV30Fse by 2.5dB. Another way of looking at that is....3 XV30Fse will be just about equal to 4 XV30Fse in clean output capability.

Extension and overall sound quality would be practically identical.

I would be sure you have the quad XV15se 100% dialed in before anything else.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #13105 of 13105 Old Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did not gain match them before stacking, I gain matched at the MLP but did not run the one spot Audy mic as you suggested to determine AVR rim level, matter of fact I did not run Audyssey at all, I have XT only, I guess I should try your method for two subs with one spot mic position and then try to achieve that -5 to -8 trim level and then run full Audy calibration, correct. I've also tried reversing phase of one in each stack and no difference on the SPL meter, all subs are at 0 phase. TIA.
Cheers Jeff
OK, I can forgive you for not messing with REW yet (it can be intimidating at first), but you have no excuse for not at least running Audyssey!

How can you make judgment on what your system is capable of if it's not calibrated??

Reversing the phase on just 2 subs should have had an effect on SPL.

BTW, you did not gain match at the MLP...that is known as level matching.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page