post #13381 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I try this now, but I was in a chat session with PSA when I was posting this stuff. They guy from PSA thought the Sub EQ in my Denon X4000 would take care of that. He also asked me to rerun the REW with just the speakers and no subs. Doing that now.
Cool.

My denon 4311 has that too and it really helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
OK, I reran Audyssey and ran REW. Set mains and CC to large and full band. Surrounds were set to 60 and rears to 40

Still have dip at the 70HZ

Wow, I just went to rerun my tests and this graph was center channel only.

Been playing for about 5 minutes. For some reason when I run REW it is only using the Center Channel now. Every since I recalibrated with audyssey

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html

Last edited by LowellG; Yesterday at 07:03 PM.
post #13383 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Evening,
Long time reader, first time poster. I got my PSA XV15SE yesterday and I have been playing with it tonight. I have a couple of questions that I know I have seen the answers posted, but yet can't really find them when I am looking for them.
First, when I run Audyssey, it sets the cross over on all of my speakers to 40 hz. I have all ARX speakers: A5 fronts, A2RX-C center, and A1B surrounds.
1) Should I go back in afterwards and manually adjust to 80 Hz?
2) The level setting for the Sub sets to -4.5. I recall seeing that a lot of people run their subs "hot". So, do you adjust the level from the AVR up or adjust the Gain?

I moved the sub closer to the corner, which helped a little, as I had it about 3 feet away from the front corner wall. Now its about 8 inches or so away.

Any input for a beginner would be great.
post #13384 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfp76 View Post
Good Evening,
Long time reader, first time poster. I got my PSA XV15SE yesterday and I have been playing with it tonight. I have a couple of questions that I know I have seen the answers posted, but yet can't really find them when I am looking for them.
First, when I run Audyssey, it sets the cross over on all of my speakers to 40 hz. I have all ARX speakers: A5 fronts, A2RX-C center, and A1B surrounds.
1) Should I go back in afterwards and manually adjust to 80 Hz?
2) The level setting for the Sub sets to -4.5. I recall seeing that a lot of people run their subs "hot". So, do you adjust the level from the AVR up or adjust the Gain?

I moved the sub closer to the corner, which helped a little, as I had it about 3 feet away from the front corner wall. Now its about 8 inches or so away.

Any input for a beginner would be great.

1 ... manually set speakers to small and try 80 or 100 hz out...

after moving the sub re run aud.. -4.5 is not bad .. run it hot by bumping up the level in the avr but not passed 0 or so.. a setting by aud at -9 is better..

enjoy the sub..

cheers..
post #13385 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Yes, set all speakers to small/80hz.

If you want to run your sub hot, adjust the trim in the AVR not the gain on the sub.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #13386 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
OK, I reran Audyssey and ran REW. Set mains and CC to large and full band. Surrounds were set to 60 and rears to 40

Still have dip at the 70HZ

you want to manually set all speakers to small... not large.. so you can pick your own crossover .. eg 80 or 100hz..

large will run the speakers full range.. small will work better with the subs

cheers
post #13387 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't set the speakers to "small" on my Onkyo receiver, it just asks about what Impedance to set them to, and that's about it besides the crossover settings.
What about when Audyssey asks to set the Sub DB setting to 75 at the beginning. I have to turn the gain down to at or slightly below "noon" to get to the 75 db that it's asking for before the self calibration starts. Should I ignore this and leave it at the 1 to 2 O'clock setting?
post #13388 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
you want to manually set all speakers to small... not large.. so you can pick your own crossover .. eg 80 or 100hz..

large will run the speakers full range.. small will work better with the subs

cheers

For some reason the computer itself changed out of a 7.1 config so I had to redo it's settings.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #13389 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
DO THE AUDYSSEY SUB DISTANCE TWEAK.

The purpose of the tweak is to smooth the crossover region by playing around with the distances of your subs (and thus phase).

It is really easy and completely worthwhile.

I am pretty much giving up. I moved my subs all around the room, moved my mains backwards, forwards, sideways and laying down. The dip was best back towards the wall. I just need some any more suggestions on what to try. I have heard about venting risers, and what about my bass traps, should I take those down. I can't obsess over the lack of perfection and that is what I will do so I need some other suggestions.

P.S. I read the distance tweak and that didn't make sense to me. I did turn my phase nobs with the REW running and they were loudest where the phases set with Audyssey.

Lowell

post #13390 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
just following up.... I started with a psa xs15se paired with my klipsch sub-12 and was happy but wanted more. I had a tough time tweaking them together (not a huge surprise). I then moved to a xv15 with my xs15se and was pretty happy.

i'm now sitting with a xv15 and xv15se. WOW. I do only watch movies and game but whoa........ THIS is what I was looking for. when people talk about feeling bass in the chest, yup, this is it. my room is approx. 3k cu ft. Lone Soldier and Max Payne were awesome.

In regards to Audyssey, I now keep DEQ on (wife and young child at home), listen at approx. -20db, run the subs 3db hot. settings are perfect for my tastes.

Just sharing b/c tweaking at first can be a pain, trying to give others a starting point. PSA.... made in the USA, best customer service, digital amplifiers, crazy bang for buck... not sure why you'd go anywhere else for BASS.
basshead81 likes this.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I as L/R::::Canton GLE 402s as R/RS
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #13391 of 13391 Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
I am pretty much giving up. I moved my subs all around the room, moved my mains backwards, forwards, sideways and laying down. The dip was best back towards the wall. I just need some any more suggestions on what to try. I have heard about venting risers, and what about my bass traps, should I take those down. I can't obsess over the lack of perfection and that is what I will do so I need some other suggestions.

P.S. I read the distance tweak and that didn't make sense to me. I did turn my phase nobs with the REW running and they were loudest where the phases set with Audyssey.
Basically you do a sweep from say 1-300hz with just the sub, and then do one with just the mains or center (I did center). View both graphs at the same time and notice the crossover area. Next do a sweep with the subs and center (or mains) and compare that to the separate graphs of the subs and center. If the sweep with subs and center at the same time is lower in the crossover area or has dips the other combined graph doesn't you need to follow the instructions on changing the sub distances.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page