Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'm going to go with the new 228HT's from JTR Speakers. They are pre-ordered priced at $999ea. And I'm just trying to decide which AT screen to go with, I have a 2'x2' sample of Seymour Enlightor-4K and XD screen materials and a sample of EluneVision Referrence Audioweave 4K material.
I was going to go with Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers with the matching center channel but this setup will be used only for movies and the JTR speakers and a really high sensitivity and are very dynamic and a great speaker for HT use.

OT: Great choice, jb! I've heard from others that the new Noesis offerings are killer. Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

PSA subs are mentioned when someone asks for a recommendation. The XV-15 and XS-30 get a lot of love. It's just that people are so fickle that they refuse to state one opinion and leave it at that. They tend to respond with what they think is popular right now. Even if they do think the PSA is the best sub for the job, they are usually going to throw out a Rythmik recommendation and then maybe a SVS model for good measure.
Most people tend to suggest what they have and that is natural. However, I have had some of the other _______ subs and that is why I have my dual XV-30s now. My love grows deeper everyday!!!
post #1713 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

I believe I read something recently regarding a faulty mic. That definitely would explain the erratic behavior! Hope that does the trick and let us know if that works!

I got my mic replacement in today, and can confirm that it was absolutely the problem. My system sounds so much different/better now.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #1714 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

I got my mic replacement in today, and can confirm that it was absolutely the problem. My system sounds so much different/better now.
Congrats dude! Hopefully you got the mid bass back to where it should be! Let us know your thoughts and if you have any questions!
post #1715 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Most people tend to suggest what they have and that is natural. However, I have had some of the other _______ subs and that is why I have my dual XV-30s now. My love grows deeper everyday!!!
Do you or any of the XV30 owners have any pictures of your setup? I would love to see how dual XV30s configure in someone's space. That is a lot of output!
post #1716 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

That's great news and provides info for someone to troubleshoot when they are having problems. smile.gif

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #1717 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

Congrats dude! Hopefully you got the mid bass back to where it should be! Let us know your thoughts and if you have any questions!

Mid-bass is great! Everything is great! It cleaned up the "boom" that I was getting, and brought life back to everything, so now the really low stuff just makes the room tremble, instead of having a muddy rumble to go along with it. I feel like my room might naturally boost a certain frequency in the 40hz range or so, and that my old mic caused Audyssey to make that peak twice as loud rather than smooth it out. Now it sounds fantastic all the way around. Night and day difference for sure.

post #1718 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Glad to hear that.

How big is your room and are you running solo or dual XS30s?
post #1719 of 13543 Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretsam View Post

Glad to hear that.

How big is your room and are you running solo or dual XS30s?

I have one in a room that's about 2200^3 with a 5 foot opening to the rest of the house.

post #1720 of 13543 Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
I've got the dual XS30's setup (sorry, no photos yet). But I've got the REW Bug, and have ordered the calibrated Behringer ECM8000 mic from Cross Spectrum, and now need a sound card.

Any opinions on these:

ART USB Dual Pre - $69
Tascam US122MKII USB Audio/Midi Interface - $100
PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 USB Recording Interface - $150
E-MU 0404 USB Audio Interface - $160

I was leaning towards the Tascam,. But do I gain anything for the extra $50-60 for the Pre-Sonus or E-MU?

I'm going for the Tascam - Lots of online discussions/support for that setup! ----

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva XPA-3 (Center, Rear)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Power Sound Audio XS30 (Left & Right)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
post #1721 of 13543 Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoform View Post

I've got the dual XS30's setup (sorry, no photos yet). But I've got the REW Bug, and have ordered the calibrated Behringer ECM8000 mic from Cross Spectrum, and now need a

Any reason you are not getting the USB UMM6 mic from them instead that doesn't require a sound card?

- Jeff
post #1722 of 13543 Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Anyone play Skyrim? The DLC Dragonborn, recently and finally released on PS3. Anyways in the game you travel to the realm of Herma-Mora. This place has some scary bass! It is low and LOUD. Also there is an island that you're on and in the distance you can see a volcano that has erupted. Every now and then there are tremors. And truth be told it ****ing feels like a tremor is going through my house! God I love you XV30.
post #1723 of 13543 Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 824
So the other night my two kids wanted to watch Monsters Inc. we haven't watched the movie in a long time and certainly not since I got the dual XS30s. Well it was a blast! That movie has some really get bass moments eek.gif and my son who's 5 said "dad I like the way the house shakes" ....lol It was great.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #1724 of 13543 Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

So the other night my two kids wanted to watch Monsters Inc. we haven't watched the movie in a long time and certainly not since I got the dual XS30s. Well it was a blast! That movie has some really get bass moments eek.gif and my son who's 5 said "dad I like the way the house shakes" ....lol It was great.

does that mean kaf outwieghts waf?

cheers
post #1725 of 13543 Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good audio and great movie. We have watched it many times here. Always love the scene where they blow up the sock under the metal containment. Punchy bass!
post #1726 of 13543 Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

does that mean kaf outwieghts waf?

cheers

Haha yes it does, you could name pretty much ANY animated movie that's come out in the last 5 years and I probaby know it word for word!...lol
My daughter is 2 and my son is 5 and they enjoy the theater more then I do.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #1727 of 13543 Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

If you are lucky, kaf = waf = your own af! Lol
post #1728 of 13543 Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
After the announcement of the XS30's, I put my PC13 Ultra up for sale immediately. I've wanted duals, but not for the price of another ultra. I finally sold that sub locally, so..... an order of Dual XS30's has been placed as of this morning.

Now the wait...

My REW gear is all ready for the weekend of arrival. I'm excited to see what these things can do. I am just hoping that placement works where I'm hoping it will. I can move them along the entire back wall of my room, and limited placement on the left side of the room. The Ultra fit up front behind the mains, but measured great and sound good behind the seating nearfield w/o localization. The duals should hopefully help even more from localization fears, even if both are in the rear.
post #1729 of 13543 Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

After the announcement of the XS30's, I put my PC13 Ultra up for sale immediately. I've wanted duals, but not for the price of another ultra. I finally sold that sub locally, so..... an order of Dual XS30's has been placed as of this morning.

Now the wait...

My REW gear is all ready for the weekend of arrival. I'm excited to see what these things can do. I am just hoping that placement works where I'm hoping it will. I can move them along the entire back wall of my room, and limited placement on the left side of the room. The Ultra fit up front behind the mains, but measured great and sound good behind the seating nearfield w/o localization. The duals should hopefully help even more from localization fears, even if both are in the rear.

Congratulations ndskurfer, The XS30 is an outstanding sub, I'm more then happy with mine. biggrin.gif and the Dual's you ordered will leave you with a perpetual grin.

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #1730 of 13543 Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

If you are lucky, kaf = waf = your own af! Lol

if your really lucky kaf > waf < my af

cheers
post #1731 of 13543 Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

if your really lucky kaf > waf < my af

cheers

We will just have agree to disagree. Your formula results in 2 of variables outweighing 1.

Now imagine how much your own af equals. Then imagine kaf and waf being equal to that. That would literally mean one day you bring home a kick ass sub. Then your other half says "hey, let's get another one of those". I would prefer this smile.gif

Who agrees? Lol
post #1732 of 13543 Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Just ordered another XV-15 last night to go behind the seating area. I already have two XV-15's up front.
Pretty excited to get it, as there is a null where the seating area is (seats are in the middle of the room).
All in an 1750 cu ft room!

Vardo
post #1733 of 13543 Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Vardo, not that 3 x XV15 wouldn't be awesome but you tried moving one of the two front subs to the rear before adding a 3rd?
post #1734 of 13543 Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

I moved them all over the place. Ended up with one is in the right front corner, one along the wall, 5 feet from the
left front corner. They sound awesome in those positions, but getting rid of nulls is tough. I set up
a fairly large sub behind the nearfield listening position with a positive gain, but that sub was sealed,
and had nowhere near the power and characteristics of an XV-15. 3 XV-15's in 1750 cu ft room will
be awesome.

Last night the wife was out, and I played a movie at ref level.....unbelievable! With a 3rd behind the
listening home theater seats (I only have two home theater recliners, the room is narrow) the sound
will really improve. The room is 20ft long, but the recliners are at 10' back, because of the 70" TV
(that's the best viewing distance for a 70").

These subs are really great, and really a bargain. I've had large true subs before HSU VTF3 MK3 with turbo,
VTF2 Mk3, Epik Legends (one for sale now in classified), 2 VTF/1, and built 2 Dayton Titanic 10" subs kits,
so it's not like the XV-15's are my first subs. For the price, you will not find a better bargain at this sound level
and quality.

Vardo
post #1735 of 13543 Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Congrats Vardo, that should be a fun setup to say the least! I have a question...is it possible to have your seating position sitting in a null when your sub is placed nearfield? I ask because I have nearfield placement and happened to have some bass heavy music on. I happened to walk by one of my corners where the entry door is that intersects with a wall to a stairwell. The bass was incredible strong and noticeable more chest pumping than when sitting right next to the sub? Feeling like I cannot win on placement ;(
post #1736 of 13543 Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

No null if a sub is placed nearfield. It can be placed 3-4 ft from your seating area, and then there can be a null. Usually a null can be
reduced by acoustic treatments, but mine is bad enough, treatments will not help. And treatments are usually only good down
to 60Hz, unless the treatment material is a foot or more thick. I do have treatments in my room, and it did help. My subs
didn't play louder or deeper, just smoother. I have 6 treatments in my room, two at ea absorption of the first reflection point of the
left and right mains, and 4 bass traps, which are 4' x 2' by 4" thick. Two, each placed in the left and right front corners
up front, and 2 ceiling to wall in the front also.

If a sub is placed close enough to where you're listening, it will greatly reduce a null. It just has to have the sound tweaked
so you can not localize it.

The best spot for your sub is where the entry door that intersects with the wall to the stairwell, but obviously you cannot put it there.
Usually if you place a sub behind your seating area (and I don't mean 3 or 4 ft, it will greatly help). Or near the end of your seating
area, assuming you don't have a row of 10 seats, and you sit in the middle. In that case i'd put the sub right behind the listening area,
between the middle of the seats. Just my IMO, and I've already experimented with another sub per my post. It made a pretty nice
difference, one that I could not ignore. Your should Email Tom V to get his take. He is a big on acoustic treatments (especially
before any eq programs are run).

So a person can reason, why do the sub crawl, or drag the sub(s) all over the place? Just place the sub nearfield and forget it.
Placing the sub nearfield IS NOT the best place for your sub. It can play deeper and louder in the "ideal" positions. But placing
a sub nearfield greatly reduces stubborn nulls.

vardo
post #1737 of 13543 Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM

^^^
Thanks for the informative reply Vardo!
post #1738 of 13543 Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Liked: 27
What is a good mic to use with REW? I recall someone in here using one with their PSAs that was around $100-130, thanks!
post #1739 of 13543 Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretsam View Post

What is a good mic to use with REW? I recall someone in here using one with their PSAs that was around $100-130, thanks!

Dayton UMM6 or minidsp umik-1
The dayton has calibrations at multiple angles including the 90 degrees we tend to use (even though that's not very important for the bass freqs) but the umik-1 has a little more support built into REW for now such as using the sensitivity value from the cal files. John the author of REW is working on making the dayton as supported as the minidsp. Even without the extra support the dayton is easy to get going.

hope this helps
post #1740 of 13543 Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Hi all, quick update.

We have two large shipments inbound----amps and drivers. The amps are due to arrive here mid week(around the 12th -13th). They are on US soil now.(only a few hundred miles away actually)

The drivers are scheduled to arrive a day or three later.

Once everything arrives we will be able to fill all back orders fairly quickly. I'd say within 2 business days. (yes, there will be a couple of long days here..smile.gif

I know this is 5-7(?) days longer than my original estimates and I do apologize for the any inconvenience the additional delay causes.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page