AVS Forum banner

bic f12 or psw505 ?

21K views 70 replies 24 participants last post by  EricST 
#1 ·
It is for my basement ht. About 16 x 16 x 8'.

Music 20% & movies 80 %

Fronts energy c500

Center energy c100

Rears 2 infinity sats + 2 bookshelfs (for now)

Avr Marantz 5005

At the moment they sell for the same price.

Please adise.

TIA

#9 ·
I did cancel my order on amazon for psw505... I don't why but my after reading more comments at least to me it seems psw505 is loud, but it can be muddy. I don't need a lot of punch... My current Infinity 8" is "ok", but since it is going upstairs I wanted something similar, maybe just a little bit more punch. I have good neighbors and wife with kids sleeping upstairs when watch movies in my cave in the basement... Perhaps I need more of a musical sub, with less HT impact... I'm sorry guys if this doesn't make sense...

I wanted to get S10.3 to match my C500s/C100 setup, but NE (US) won't ship the item to US (so I can pick it up and bring it back home) because my VISA has Canadian address. So in the way I'm stuck with amazon.com and I have to chose something from there...

I went through budget subs thread, but there is way too many options for me to decide...

Did I make a mistake and I should still order psw505???

please help?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 /forum/post/0

I did cancel my order on amazon for psw505... I don't why but my after reading more comments at least to me it seems psw505 is loud, but it can be muddy. I don't need a lot of punch... My current Infinity 8" is "ok", but since it is going upstairs I wanted something similar, maybe just a little bit more punch. I have good neighbors and wife with kids sleeping upstairs when watch movies in my cave in the basement... Perhaps I need more of a musical sub, with less HT impact... I'm sorry guys if this doesn't make sense...

I wanted to get S10.3 to match my C500s/C100 setup, but NE (US) won't ship the item to US (so I can pick it up and bring it back home) because my VISA has Canadian address. So in the way I'm stuck with amazon.com and I have to chose something from there...

I went through budget subs thread, but there is way too many options for me to decide...

Did I make a mistake and I should still order psw505???

please help?

The psw505 will put your infinity 8" to shame and it's far from muddy, muddy bass would be the Bic f12

The Polk psw505 is very musical and much more musical than any other subwoofer for $180

Here is a real review of the psw505 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html

I WOULD STILL ORDER THE PSW505 from here with promo code EMCJJJJ36: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290130 that amazon sale will go away once newegg sale is over

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/21205299

The psw505 will put your infinity 8" to shame and it's far from muddy, muddy bass would be the Bic f12

The Polk psw505 is very musical and much more musical than any other subwoofer for $180

Here is a rear review of the psw505 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html

I WOULD STILL ORDER THE PSW505 from here with promo code EMCJJJJ36: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290130 that amazon sale will go away once newegg sale is over

+1

crazyrob425 is right. The F12 is not a more detailed speaker than the Polk. Get your order placed before Newegg ends the sale. Amazon will likely raise the price up.

#12 ·
thank you guys.... and if I step up to Emo Ultra 12 at $329? Is it worth extra $140???

Wold that be a huge upgrade and worth it? Please see my setup / needs at the top.

I don't need a loud sub, I want nice reliable good sounding sub that will fit well with my setup.

Thanks so much...

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 /forum/post/0

I have the Polk in my basement and although the room is a bit bigger, I've never been impressed by it. If your budget is firm, by all means I don't think you will find a better buy. However, if you can swing for the emotiva, hsu vtf, or outlaw you will be much happier in the long run.

Have you done a subwoofer crawl for the optimal placement? I have found something as simple as that makes my 8" cheapo sub impress me even though I know it's far from amazing

To the OP the emotiva is a great small sealed subwoofer but if HT is your preference I would look to other subwoofers as it only drops down to 30hz before it rolls off

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/21206407

Have you done a subwoofer crawl for the optimal placement? I have found something as simple as that makes my 8" cheapo sub impress me even though I know it's far from amazing

To the OP the emotiva is a great small sealed subwoofer but if HT is your preference I would look to other subwoofers as it only drops down to 30hz before it rolls off

I don't need it to shake up my house
I need something decent... I'm quiet happy from the Energy C-500s (fronts) bass presence I just need a tad more... Too bad I cannot buy from NE Energy s10.3... which would go well with my energy setup (me thinks)...

Darn it, Just like with NewEgg.com I need US billing address for my VISA even though I want to pick up items from US location...

How is PA-120 comparing to Bic F12 or PSW505?

thanks a lot

#16 ·
The Polk PSW505 is proven at its price point. That would be my choice in your situation. BTW, you don't need the sub to "match" your speakers and in many cases can get a much better sub for the money. The Energy is a great sub but since you can't get one, the Polk is another solid choice for under $200

#17 ·
And if you want a more musical sub, you could look at the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact . It can be had for $349 shipped on b-stock . Since the Ultra 12 rolls off fast below 30hz, probably not the best sub to go with your towers since they go down to 35hz. The Outlaw is rated to 25hz at -2db.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/21206407

Yes, although placement in my room is somewhat limited. Honestly in my size room (roughly 30x18) I wasn't expecting it to have a ton of impact, bit it's still nice for what it is. I think the OP will be happy with the Polk at this price point. You could always add a second later on too at minimal cost.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21206968

And if you want a more musical sub, you could look at the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact . It can be had for $349 shipped on b-stock . Since the Ultra 12 rolls off fast below 30hz, probably not the best sub to go with your towers since they go down to 35hz. The Outlaw is rated to 25hz at -2db.

Still didn't pull the trigger... EMO got back to me and I could order sub on the phone... I might give Newegg.com a call to see if I can get S10.3... ( I did sent them email on the weekend about it ).

Stupid question from the newbie...

If my fronts are producing ‘ok’ bass, would buying a sub be still beneficial?

Unloading fronts and AVR? sub would give me more accurate bass?

Update: I talk to newegg.com they wouldn't do it. canadian billing address with US shipping address...

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/21205299

Here is a real review of the psw505 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html

did the code expire?

#23 ·
I might go for HSU STF2 or Outlaw LFM-1 b-stock. From my understanding they would give a nice good quality bass both for HT and music...

??? thoughts ??? brand new HSU or Outlaw ??? WHat is the price policy with both?

Question:

if my crappy surround frequency response is 150Hz...

and the above HSU / Outlaw specs are:

Frequency Response: 25Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB

Crossover Frequency: 30Hz to 90Hz and Bypass

Will that be bad for my surronds? Will be able to setup crossover on the AVR at 150Hz for the rears???

I'm sorry, but I'm still learning...

#24 ·
Please help...

I want to pull the trigger today and my choices are:

Emotiva Sub 12 - $329 shipped

HSU STF-2 - $392 shipped

Outlaw LFM-1 b-stock - $349 shipped

Energy s10.3 - $290 shipped (I cannot order from newegg.com with Canadian Visa :-()

PA-120 – $210 shipped

BIC PL-200 - $249 shipped

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 /forum/post/21214267

Please help...

I want to pull the trigger today and my choices are:

Emotiva Sub 12 - $329 shipped

HSU STF-2 - $392 shipped

Outlaw LFM-1 b-stock - $349 shipped

Energy s10.3 - $290 shipped (I cannot order from newegg.com with Canadian Visa :-()

PA-120 - $210 shipped

BIC PL-200 - $249 shipped

Hey Clark17,

Don't mean to interfere in your thread but may I ask where you can get a PA SUB120 for that price? I just ordered 2 F12 and I'm having seconds thoughts now.

Thanks,

JP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.