Nothing like holiday deals to you jumping into some new AV equipment.
I am not particularly well versed in the AV dept. I get lost in a lot of the jargon, but I understand when people talk about value vs. performance.
So it started with woot.com having the Pioneer VSX-1021-K on sale for about 1/2 retail. And cnet as well as many other online reviewers giving HIGH recommendations for for the Pioneer SP-PK21BS bundle. Then best buy having a (what I assume) a great deal on a similar bundle. A pair of floor stander Pioneer SP-FS51-LR, a pair of bookshelf Pioneer SP-BS21-LR, and a Pioneer SP-C21 center at 284.97. It's missing sub, and I stumble on someone's off hand comment about lava subs in another thread.
My room is about 8x12, I haven't measured and I'm in Japan and I don't want to bother asking my wife to do it. I already have the AVR, but no speakers.
Would a lava sub be a good addition or would I be better served by the complementing Pioneer SW-8? 8" or 10"?
And would the above set up be good for a beginner/casual/budget minded set up?
I'm an Iraq/Afghan Marine vet thats been blown up a few times and don't hear so well anymore so I don't need to be able to hear the resonation of a pin dropping. I just want to hear a movie and think "H*LL YEAH!"
P.S. Saw the "Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting..." after writing this so I'll sum it all up on the bottom.
1. Your budget - max $250
2. Size requirements/limits - none
3. Room dimensions - 8x12, assume I'm right
4. Primary uses - Casual: TV/movie watching, music, gaming (70%, 20%, 10%)
5. Listening habits - Casual, I got kids including a 4 month old, and they dont listen well already. Occasional drunken party gaming (rock band/dance central) where it can get loud but by no means Man-O-War record setting status.
6. Appearance requirements - none
7. Timeframe - none