Subwoofer Upgrade Suggestions Needed under $1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade my HT and I want to start with the sub. I currently have a Klipsch KW100 Sub and have been looking at the HSU VTF15H. I was all set on the HSU until I started reading peoples opinions on this forum and am now having doubts.

Does anyone have some suggestions to fill a room 11x20x7, used for Movies and Music (hip-hop) only? I like the adjustability to go from ported to sealed and the price point of the HSU and, which is what pushed me over the edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What have you read that concerns you?
I listen to Hip hop most of any genre, and the two I am considering are HSU and Rhythmik.

Check out a thread I made:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1369236

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #3 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

I am looking to upgrade my HT and I want to start with the sub. I currently have a Klipsch KW100 Sub and have been looking at the HSU VTF15H. I was all set on the HSU until I started reading peoples opinions on this forum and am now having doubts.

Does anyone have some suggestions to fill a room 11x20x7, used for Movies and Music (hip-hop) only? I like the adjustability to go from ported to sealed and the price point of the HSU and, which is what pushed me over the edge.

What do you think is wrong with the HSU VTF-15H?
post #4 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
I had several subs before getting my HSU VTF-3 over five years ago and would not consider replacing it. If I had a need for another sub I would go to HSU.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking at this thread; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=vtf15h and this one; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=vtf15h

Posters seemed to question the quality of the components of the VTF15 as well as the extension. They made me think twice and I would like to know others experiences or opinions.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I was looking at this thread; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=vtf15h and this one; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=vtf15h

Posters seemed to question the quality of the components of the VTF15 as well as the extension. They made me think twice and I would like to know others experiences or opinions.

I suppose you also read my post #14 in the above link. If exotic and high quality components inside a sub/speaker are what you are looking for, there are huge collections of Chinese subs/speakers out there. They all use expensive and exotic components yet they cost you a few hundred dollars only.

Remember it is the best design that brings you the best sound quality and output. Dynaudio Confidence Signature C4s cost you $22,000/pair and they are one of the best sounding speakers out there, yet they only have plastic drivers and fabric tweeters for examples. Disappointed? No Dynaudio owner has a complaint because it is the SQ that matters to us.

As regard the bass extension, I guess you also missed this thread and the shootout I took reference from:
Steve's Dilemma

The VTF-15H is crowned the term "indestructible" by the two brothers, and gave the most powerful punch among all the contenders. Dr Hsu got his PhD from MIT, and this does tell you a lot. If we are given some expensive components there is no guarantee that we can make a better subwoofer than HSU/SVS, don't you agree?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If your worriedabout hsus quality then you shouldnt. I was at there hq yesterday and ican say they are top knotch in service. Got a problem with the sub? Pete or one of them will take care of you

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

I suppose you also read my post #14 in the above link. If exotic and high quality components inside a sub/speaker are what you are looking for, there are huge collections of Chinese subs/speakers out there. They all use expensive and exotic components yet they cost you a few hundred dollars only.

Remember it is the best design that brings you the best sound quality and output. Dynaudio Confidence Signature C4s cost you $22,000/pair and they are one of the best sounding speakers out there, yet they only have plastic drivers and fabric tweeters for examples. Disappointed? No Dynaudio owner has a complaint because it is the SQ that matters to us.

As regard the bass extension, I guess you also missed this thread and the shootout I took reference from:
Steve's Dilemma

The VTF-15H is crowned the term "indestructible" by the two brothers, and gave the most powerful punch among all the contenders. Dr Hsu got his PhD from MIT, and this does tell you a lot. If we are given some expensive components there is no guarantee that we can make a better subwoofer than HSU/SVS, don't you agree?

I do, and this is a great point.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The bottom line is that the components of the HSU VTF-15 get the job done. There is also a 7 year warranty on the woofer and 2 year warranty on electronics. As far as extension, it seems that there are plenty of users that are getting usable output below 20Hz, especially with one port closed.

The VTF-15 should be more than enough for your 1500 cubic feet space, especially if your room is relatively sealed.

Life is good.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Liked: 14
My SVS has been rocking the house (euh, make that part of the neighborhood) for 8 years running, all without any trace of even a minor problem. Nothing exotic, just well engineered gear, like HSU.

My dedicated home theater room:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page